From my desire if wanting to build a competitor to the OP 1. What is it that you'd like it have?

From my desire if wanting to build a competitor to the OP 1. What is it that you'd like it have?
Previous thread

Attached: 011910_op_1.jpg (700x557, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1578/the-definitive-guide-to-trying-to-connect-your-op-1-via-usb-midi/p3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

of*

I have and use the OP1 every day. In my opinion, the only things missing, are more tracks and velocity sensitivity. Its a portable device, what else do you need?

are there any small portable DAW devices like this? possibly for android?

i like the current DAW software on android, but hate having to switch screens so much to alter parameters on different instruments. hardware knobs are more convenient, as long as its compact.

Recently got into this stuff. Got a Maschine and the Korg Volca. Make the best of those two and you'll be golden. Volca's biggest downside is that it can only handle 16 steps. I prefer the Maschine's sequencer with groups/patterns as opposed to the OP1's recorder.

Never used one so no idea if it already has something similar, but I think a plugin system would be cool.
Obviously not for VSTs, but an API that allows for the creation of scripts (and a website where people can upload and download them) would be an amazing selling point.
If you made it to run on Max from the start, it would be very easy to get the Max community to make stuff for it, since it's such a widespread standard with incredible potential.
Perhaps you could make it an "open" platform where everything about it can be hacked and edited.

That being said, I don't know how feasible something like this would be, with the DSP requirements in such a small package, and the Max licensing (a second choice could be PureData or Super Collider if Max is off limits).

A cool solution for the performance could be to have a small package with limited performance for portability, and expansion "cadtridges" with processors that you can stack for more power, kinda like the Kyma's Capybaras.
This way you could have a solution for both the users who want a lightweight musicmaker to use on the go, and those who don't mind a slight portability decrease in exchange for a performance increase.

Bump

OP are you even here?

>what else do you need?
Refinement, updates, new libraries.

OP 1 is one of a kind. This is why I'd like to make a competitor. It's a brilliant little device but quite expensive.

Here I am, got to run out to pick up some yogurt. I'm reading some of the posts.

Can you please make literally the exact same thing but it's like $350?

second this

Ideally want to but if I can make it atleast under $500 that's still a win. Not for profit sake but to still be a decent machine. I think one way to make it affordable is to not have the amazing battery the OP 1 posses (I believe it can go for weeks without having to recharge). I would really love to make it affordable as possible though.

You're doing God's work, user.
One of the major appeals of the OP-1 (it would seem at first before learning about its pricepoint) is that it's a great, cheap "beginner's synth" that doesn't need to be constantly hooked up to a laptop.
But it's like a thousand dollars, so the point of the device's existence seems...null.

You won't be able to make it cheap without some serious corner-cutting, so if your goal is to purely make a cheaper OP1 clone, it will inevitably be a "you get what you pay for" knockoff kind of deal.
If you're OK with that, then go ahead, but if you want it to be good at something, you need to pivot towards making it different in a way that is cheaper by design (as opposed to making a cheap version of something that would usually cost more, by not making it as good).

You also need to factor in the business side of things, like the investor's cut, marketing budget, distributors, etc. Which makes that low price even harder to achieve.

You're welcome, this will take time though. What would be better a newsletter or blog? I linked the previous thread so if anyone wants to beat me to it or join the race so to speak, go for it. This is out of love for music not to become the next John McAfee

Blog is much better for practical and marketing reasons.
You can also use a free service to add a newsletter to it for people who want to be updated via email.

Definitely a blog.

bump

What are you going to call your new OP-1 competitor?

FAG-1

Quite fitting indeed.

Idk man, I care more about how I'm going to do all this. Have plenty of resources thanks to fellow anons from last thread. Need to begin on my spare time. I'll make a blog tommorow. Try to keep this thread alive boys

>this

And consider the price of multiple eurorack modules or high end analog synths from dsi, moog, etc.. the op-1 is pretty reasonable in price for its functionality set. The nearest hardware competitors with similar standalone functionality is the elektron digitakt ($750) or akai mpc live ($1200). the maschine mk3 requires a computer.

As a pragmatic hobbyist, it's hard to be swayed from the cost-to-capability ratio of a DAW. I don't mind using a computer + midi controllers, it doesn't make me feel more separated from playing the instruments in the electronic music domain, if I can use an emulation/vst in ableton, I'm fine with that. With that in mind, the OP-1 is one the few hardware pieces that I own and love, nothing else quite as fun and simple but deep too.

I think something cool would be a mobile app that offers something like the OP-1 but in software form, an "aesthetic" scaled down lo-fi alternative to iOS garage band that still has deep capability.

It would certainly have a cheaper entry-cost barrier vs hardware both as an inventor and consumer, plus the programming knowledge will help with hardware design too, a lot of cool synths coming out lately that utilize FPGA chips like the novation peak.

I think that for a lot of people the most important selling point of the OP-1 is its portability.
Even with a laptop it's not easy to just take it ut of the bag and start making music, but with the OP-1 it's as easy as possible.
A mobile app wouldn't be the same experience, and there are already tens or maybe even hundreds of apps like that.

The OP-1 is portable but it's not something you wanna carry in your pants pocket still, if I'm traveling with the OP-1 I usually have enough space for a laptop too, with the OP-1 pulling double duty as a midi controller.

Its portability is an important selling point for sure but I think most important is overstating it. For me its simplicity and toylikeness hiding creative depth was what sold me. I think an AC or USB powered OP-1 clone would still be successful.

The battery life is very impressive though.

there's no way you're going to be able to build a synth yourself and keep production low enough to sell it for $350

complete garbage the world does not need another midi controller or digital synth. you cant offer anything different in the digital synth realm

A laptop needs a bigger bag and is heavier, not to mention how much more bothersome it is to pull it out and play with it.
The OP1 can fit in a small messenger bag or backpack, is much lighter, its battery lasts much longer, you don't have to wait for ot to turn the OS on and launch the DAW,and is usable in many more situations where a laptop can be uncomfortable (like the backseat of a car or on public transit, etc.)
If you have 5 minutes in a waiting room you pull it out to play it a bit, then put it back in a second when you've finished. You can't really do the same with a laptop.

Carrying an OP-1 is more like carrying a Nintendo DS, a tablet or an ereader, where it doesn't really fit your pockets but a small bag is enough and much better than carrying a whole laptop.

From what I've gathered over the years this is what makes it worthwile for most people, because yes it's great and a lot of fun, but so are many other things.
The way it includes all its features in a portable form is what makes it unique and sets it apart (like the other TE products).
It just wouldn't be the same if it were bigger.

So something like GPD Pocket?

Something like that covers part of the advantages of the OP1.
If it has a good performance and it isn't frustrating to use, then for a lot of people it might actually be a comparable alternative, but I have no idea of how well it works in real life so it's hard to say.
I think an iPad is probably the closest "replacement" that's also pretty capable, but it still doesn't match a DAW.
Still good for a portable "on the go" music machine.

>Carrying an OP-1 is more like carrying a Nintendo DS, a tablet or an ereader, where it doesn't really fit your pockets but a small bag is enough and much better than carrying a whole laptop.

Thing about that is the OP-1 is as wide as an 60%/84key typing keyboard, it's got a odd oblong shape for small bags. Coincidentally it fits well into the accessory pouch of most laptop bags.

>usable in many more situations where a laptop can be uncomfortable (like the backseat of a car or on public transit, etc.)
If you have 5 minutes in a waiting room you pull it out to play it a bit, then put it back in a second when you've finished. You can't really do the same with a laptop.

I agree, but how often are you going to be doing that? It's fanciful in ads but I feel anxious whipping out a $900 attention getter in public. For my portable use it's 99% in private or closed situations, and for that I have time and space for the laptop.

>I agree, but how often are you going to be doing that? It's fanciful in ads but I feel anxious whipping out a $900 attention getter in public. For my portable use it's 99% in private or closed situations, and for that I have time and space for the laptop
The same could be said about people carrying high end tablets around.
I wouldn't pull an OP1 in any occasion either, but if I know I'm not gonna get mugged I don't see why not.
Each person has their use case. Getting it and using it exclusively at home is as valid as using it on a park bench.

>Thing about that is the OP-1 is as wide as an 60%/84key typing keyboard, it's got a odd oblong shape for small bags
What exactly do you mean with "small bag"?
I'm not talking about a purse.

>The same could be said about people carrying high end tablets around.

Yeah but people are used to seeing tablets in public, whipping out an aesthetic piece of music kit is a strange thing in most situations.

>What exactly do you mean with "small bag"?

Any bag you want to use the op-1 with you would probably be holding a laptop or something of that size with. The op-1 is nearly as wide a 12.9 inch ipad and thats not something I can casually carry around like a 3DS or small tablet, it's more like a nintendo switch with unremovable grips.

>the world does not need another midi controller or digital synth
I beg to differ. The worlds DESPERATELY needs something quite like the OP-1 in the sense that you can take it anywhere and make music with it no matter where you are or what you're using, while not costing $1,000.
There's a great untapped market there; a powerful but friendly, cheap beginner's synth for people who don't have a high-end laptop and a DAW and VSTs.

how can you make music without a daw? use reason, logic or ableton which you dont need much to run. problem is why use a synth with only one waveform, no adsr, preloaded shit soumds, no frequency filters, not enough knobs, no lfo, and no signal processors. the problem is youll never make it cheap enough for entry level without going to China yourself

make it out of cardboard

Attached: 1519374203290.jpg (1920x1080, 191K)

>how can you make music without a daw?
with an OP-1, preferably a cheap one
>use reason, logic or ableton which you dont need much to run.
you need a laptop. poorfags don't have laptops.
also, beginners don't know how to use daws yet.
>problem is why use a synth with only one waveform, no adsr, preloaded shit soumds, no frequency filters, not enough knobs, no lfo, and no signal processors
they're beginners. they don't need any of that shit yet. they just need to start somewhere.
>the problem is youll never make it cheap enough for entry level without going to China yourself
therein lies the real issue.

>velocity sensitivity
does it have midi in?
can you rig a MPC pad?

yes and yes

you can get velocity on the OP-1 through usb midi-in by using a DAW

an mpc pad set up would look like

MPC Pad Midi/USB OUT channel X -> DAW -> OP-1 USB Midi IN channel X

And you'll need a stereo audio in through an interface or sound card/whatever to get sound from the OP-1 of course.

For getting midi without using a DAW is a little more finicky.

>operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1578/the-definitive-guide-to-trying-to-connect-your-op-1-via-usb-midi/p3
>You need any USB to MIDI DIN converter that is bidirectional.

>Yeah but people are used to seeing tablets in public, whipping out an aesthetic piece of music kit is a strange thing in most situations
You mean that it would be awkward to attract the attention or that you risk having it stolen?
If the first, I guess it depends on your personality and where you live.
If the second, you don't have to use it if you feel at risk, but if you don't, then there should be no problem.
There are also many scenarios in which you can use it out of home without even having people around.
For example while riding a taxi/uber, or at work during break, in your car while you wait for your gf, etc.
All cases where I'd rather pull out an OP1 than a laptop. But I imagine people might feel differently.

>Any bag you want to use the op-1 with you would probably be holding a laptop or something of that size with. The op-1 is nearly as wide a 12.9 inch ipad and thats not something I can casually carry around like a 3DS or small tablet, it's more like a nintendo switch with unremovable grips.
The Switch is a better example. People still carry those around, no?
Do they remove the two controllers when carrying it or they put it as is in a case or something like that?

Ps. Sorry for taking so long to respond but posting seemed broken sitewide so I went to sleep.

Just give me a snap dragon 845 and micro SD slot in the one plus 6, keep the body of the one plus one the same.

It's slightly too unwieldy for portable handheld use, I wouldn't want to use the OP-1 without having some sort of flat surface or at least my lap to be able to rest it on stably. It's very hard to do certain actions while trying to maintain a grip with one hand. Stuff like editing the endless or finger sequencer, all those actions that require a shift + press to access. Whereas those other devices you can use fully handheld mostly.

I've carried around an OP-1 in a large cargo pant pocket and it's awkward AF, its just too long and stiff with the knobs poking out. Those same pockets would be able to hold a 3DS, a small tablet or a switch with the grips removed comfortably.

In this debate I feel the portability alone of the OP-1 is an overstated reason for its success, the sum of its simplicity + capability + portability + aesthetics is what makes it for me. If there were a bigger non battery oper. OP-1 alternative that offered something similar at half price, I think it would still be a hit.

What DAW are you using on android? I tried out a few back in 2012 or so, but none of them were that good back then.

Caustic is the only decent one, I hate Apple but rather buy an iPad than an OP-1 tbqh
Anyways, if I get an idea for a song when I'm away from my workstation I just use the audio recorder on my Moto E sing/hum it and wait till I get home to get the actual job done, worked for me since the dumbphone days

>It's slightly too unwieldy for portable handheld use, I wouldn't want to use the OP-1 without having some sort of flat surface or at least my lap to be able to rest it on stably. It's very hard to do certain actions while trying to maintain a grip with one hand. Stuff like editing the endless or finger sequencer, all those actions that require a shift + press to access. Whereas those other devices you can use fully handheld mostly.
Of course you have to sit down with it. Never said you could use it standing up holding it with one hand.

>I've carried around an OP-1 in a large cargo pant pocket and it's awkward AF, its just too long and stiff with the knobs poking out. Those same pockets would be able to hold a 3DS, a small tablet or a switch with the grips removed comfortably
That's why I said you can carry it with a small bag.
Most people don't wear cargo pants so carrying those other devices would also require a small bag of some sort.
Or even just space in a laptop bbackpack. If I have both and I just want to play some music for a bit or just quickly record an idea, I'd rather pull out an OP1 than a laptop.

>I feel the portability alone of the OP-1 is an overstated reason for its success, the sum of its simplicity + capability + portability + aesthetics is what makes it for me.
It's not portability alone. It's simplicity + capability + aesthetics, WHILE having its portability.
If it had only the portability without those other elements it wouldn't have been nearly as successful, but it would be even less successful with all of those minus the portability.
I mean, imagine if it was as big and heavy as a Push (which is still kinda portable) or an MPC. It would become a studio gear piece instead of being portable, and its appeal would be totally different, and I'd bet that less people would buy it because in a studio setting you can use a DAW (while the OP1 can also be used on a couch, so it makes sense even while in the studio with more capable stuff.