Do I need a degree to get a high paying programming job?

Do I need a degree to get a high paying programming job?

Attached: 1519608184027.jpg (1651x1100, 862K)

Yes

Yes

Either that or a military career in that field

No but you need to be better than 90% of all other programmers

That face is shopped right. It's terrible not knowing what is real and what is not real nowadays.

No. I know plenty of people without degrees making 50k+ programming.

No. You just need experience. There is no substitute for knowledge in this field. Good luck

He said high paying, not pajeet salary

No you don't. I'm making 170k a year with no degree. Study hard, practice good code, have a great portfolio of past works etc.

That's literally above the median household income. You are making more as an entry level programmer than most FAMILIES.

This

Care to elaborate? I'm dropped out of school my junior year to work as a firefighter/EMT. Loved it, but first responder pay caps out at 50-70k. Yikes. I'm back in school now but all my friends are leaving and I REALLY don't want to wait around. I already have all the skills I'll need, I can teach myself tech way faster than these retarded professors can, and I already have an alright looking portfolio of agile and python work.
How do I get a good salary like that? Learn legacy tech? Freelance? Are the short "coding bootcamps" anything but a meme?

Wait around for what?

Wait around to finish my degree. I thought I could finish by spring 2019 but it looks like that might've been optimistic. I only have CS courses left, and the course load of 4 CS courses is killing me. And the thought of being in school for three or four more semesters make me want to kill myself.

You'll regret dropping out.

Ugh, I know. All my friends are moving to cool places. My buddies from highschool just got an apartment in Boston. My gf and our old roomates are moving to San Diego. Everyone else is heading to awesome warm places. Plus even the bottom tier dev salaries look amazing now. I made fucking $14 an hour as an Firefighter/EMT.

But yeah, your right. School just fucking blows. I'm getting taught stats by a grad student, who has never taught a course before, barely speaks English, and is fucking me in the ass with coursework. I could have a personal tutor for 1/100th the cost .

Yeah man, but the reality is their lives is not your life. Two years and having a degree is better than not. And two years will fly by so quick that even if you want to "catch up" you can and will be in a better place.
Sucks your professors aren't good, but that just means you'll have to do extra effort. It blows, but the only person dropping out is going to effect is you. Not your bullshit teachers, friends, gf,.... you.

no but you gotta be good.

word. thanks man. I needed that.

Yes. firstly basically nobody will hire you without a degree regardless of your portfolio, and secondly even if they were to do it, they'd strongly limit your upper range for salary.

i wish chloe moretz would bench me

a job in programming is like a job as an artist (except programming jobs exist) its all about your portfolio, if you can code well, show them the things you have personally coded or projects you have worked with/for (github commits etc)
showing a recruiter what you can do makes their lives a hell of a lot easier

not where i live tbqh

Is this picture for real?

My younger brother went out to Australia with £2000 in his pocket and a working visa. You have to do a certain amount of specific work while you're out there to stay in the country. When he wasn't working, he was on his computer teaching himself HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP and more. He then applied for web development work.

After his two years were up on his visa, he'd already been working for several months as a web developer for a national bank. After that he was working for a start up. And now he's been through several different places.

He left school with a handful of GCSEs. He never went to Uni. Never got a degree. And the wage he's on as a web dev in Australia is fucking crazy. It's vastly superior to what he would be paid in the UK and the quality of life out in Australia is vastly superior too. He's been there several years and has no intention of coming back, and I can't blame him.

My w2 was 144k last year in the Midwest, i have no degree. My brother has only a ged, worked blue collar jobs until he was in his 30s, had a shit tier $40k/yr web dev job for one year. He just got a job making $80k/yr, also in the Midwest, and I don’t mean Chicago I’m talking where you can buy a 3000sqft house for $250k in an upscale neighborhood.

What kind of visa was it? Don't most require a degree? (Or rather, points based with a degree giving so many points that you would need extensive experience without one?)

That's a 457 working visa. He went out on a 417 working holiday visa. He then left the country (he went to Asia for a few months) and reapplied for another visa (not sure which one) and got back in. He's been there several years now.

170 is high for a self starter in the current year, but I do agree decent salary is still attainable for the autodidactic. I hire no degree candidates on occasion and I have seen a few go on to be decent devs.

That said, you can't underestimate how much harder you will work to make the grade at first. Everyone will assume you are dogshit until you build a damn impressive portfolio.

Worth a shot if you're an old fag or too poor for college, but if you're young enough or wealthy enough for school you can skip a lot of steps just doing the usual. Protip: Local college for your core and overload your schedule then xfer to finish at a uni. If you are competent you can get a BS done in 3 years (no summer breaks). That's more impressive than most internships (to me at least).

fuck no

degrees are a meme - anyone telling you otherwise are just bitter fucks who wasted 4 years of their lives in a shitty college and are riddled with debt.

sure, maybe you can't get into Google or something but for most jobs all they care about is whether or not you can fucking code. the *only* thing degrees are good for is getting your foot in the door a little easier. that's it.

Yeah if you can go to college fucking do it. I’m the guy making 144k above and what I didn’t mention is that I’m almost 40 and just a few years ago I was only making 60k/yr and worked for the same company for 10 years where I was able to work my way out of the shit tier IT support world. If I had finished my CS degree I’d be 10 years ahead of where I am now. I might not have been making much more money than I do now, but the 15 years I spend making less than 50k I could have been making 100k and I’d be pretty rich by now.

Not really, but it's easier if you have good certificates.

>have a great portfolio
so pretty much build shit and put it on git, and contribute to open source?

yes, failing having friends in the business, this is the best thing to do

at my work we hire a lot of people and many have never obtained a degree, many of which got their interviews because of their publicly available code.

i would agree that portfolio > degree. many fags with degrees can't even do fizzbuzz.

Will reiterate what the other user said, depending on your age.

Are you an early 20ish person? Finish the damn degree. You have so much time ahead of you to figure out your career. Believe me, your friends getting jobs and apartments now will be the dumbest concern you ever had five years from now. You'll be fine. I'm going to be 34 this year, with only five years in the industry, because I didn't finish school and worked a meh job with no upward mobility throughout my 20's. Just finish, and you'll way more enjoy your mid-late 20's when you don't have to worry about getting jobs.

Yes, unless you're working for yourself.

Yes, and learn data structures and algorithms. Then do leet code problems.

The OP sounds pretty interested into what tech/dev and seems to have some sort of portfolio already, so he's no one of the dumb-dumbs that think a CS/IT degree guarantees 100k+ a year. In this case, I'd suggest finishing the degree definitely, the combo of a portfolio and a degree beats either separately except for insane cases of prodigy.

given a paragraph with n words and m threads, write a program where each thread prints at least one word, and the resulting output must match the origin input (paragraph). do not use a mutex or semaphore. must be thread-safe.

No. You need to be passionate about it, have a strong work ethic, and know how to market yourself.
I have no degree and I am an SDEIII at Amazon. While not the most common background, there are plenty others like me.

no

Any degree should work too, of you have experience.
Remember Equifax's chief security officer was a music major

For the Punjab you mean? I thought it was assumed we were talking about the parts of the US where programmers live

That's because she was like 70 years old
C++ was invented when she was already done with menopause

Attached: shutdude.png (1080x1231, 1.22M)