/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>>T60, X60; X200, T400/500
Modern models:
>>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot on T420; Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>>T/W52/30 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3
>>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, 64gb of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive. Bad stock cooling reported by multiple owners.

Why ThinkPad?
>>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>>EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
>>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: ThinkCat19.png (880x594, 1.22M)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/SnMqrjE
discordapp.com/invite/mGWNsaN
ticket.coreboot.org/issues/121
mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-June/084549.html
youtube.com/watch?v=3X8fwcVKjnY
youtube.com/watch?v=ZAyPtXDJ4BI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Previous thread:

How do I overclock a T430 ?

T60 or X201, both are available at literally the same price on Ebay, but one is selling with more ram (4) and less hdd space and the other with 1tb but 2 gb, of course, I can change them later, so given that which one is better, per se..?

>xx30

Attached: 6736163f5374bf899f47be86d9c94565.jpg (220x230, 9K)

How are the Chink motherboards for the T60, X60 etc.? An X60 with the 1400x1050 IPS, LED backlighting and more modern hardware sounds kinda hot.

Im extremely noob to the game
If i get a new laptop with expandable ram, can i just insert the ram from my old laptop or do different laptops need different types of ram

tfw comfy in bed with my t580. The excellent 4k screen accompanied with a dGPU, plus a hefty amount of RAM has made my internet browsing experience just divine.

Maybe I'll watch a youtube video. Maybe I'll play some solitaire?

What are you fellow enlightened gentlemen doing?

Dumb frogposter.

There's this cute girl at my college campus who uses a T60.
How do ask her out?

Attached: Yyeah+i+know+how+that+feels+_76a531fda521c602d3e0b5fb4fb9867d.png (600x857, 71K)

>walk up to her
>pull out your thinkpad
>eject the disc tray/hdd caddy
>show her pic related
>wink at her
>fuck
it's that easy

Attached: 1521168020503.jpg (1280x960, 228K)

You dont. she has a dick user

Attached: 1520937541048.jpg (850x1200, 162K)

Traps aren't gay.

depends on if the new laptop is compatible with the old ram.

cute kot

>T60 locally for $70
should I just for zozzles?

Attached: 1444513717833.jpg (253x229, 48K)

>$70
You could get a 420 for that much.

>no you can't
>also
>already have a T420

Attached: 20171225_100023.jpg (3264x1836, 2.1M)

fucking aussies being upside down and shit

One day I will have collected all of the thinkcats

Attached: 1519961455301.png (1216x806, 1.55M)

How much should I pay for a T430 in very good conditions with an i5-3320M, 900p screen, NVS 5400M GPU, 9 cell battery (10% wear) BUT without a HDD/SSD and RAM?

I always assumed the supposed superiority of the older model keyboards was exaggerated, but after trying it out myself on my new x220, I am in awe. This keyboard is undoubtedly the best I've ever used on a laptop. Thanks for not memeing me bros.

Attached: 1496358818536.jpg (270x270, 52K)

Goddammit I hate Australian so damn much

Just got an x220 in the mail, first thinkpad.
Came with unactivated Windows 10.
I want to put Windows 10 LTSB, but I was wondering if the battery icon would still show, and when I was searching people were saying if you didn't use the Lenovo settings or whatever from the app store then the battery wouldn't last long.

>I want to put Windows

Attached: laughing_whores.jpg (551x635, 119K)

X201 in you want "newer" hardware.
T60 if you already have a more recent PC and want something "retro"

What about the T70?

T70 it's an unofficial (and VERY expensive) mobo for the T60.

If you're a richfag, yo could go for like 4 T25's for the price of the T70.

>T70 mobo $780
>TR25 $1800
???

I just wanna browse Sup Forums, watch anime, YouTube and play with Python a little bit.
I'd probably use Void Linux on it and browse Sup Forums using qtchan.
Price range: The cheapest I could get.

how do i stop my damn cursor from recalibrating itself and moving like a possessed ouji board on my thinkpad running Gentoo/Linux?

T420

Please post more thinkcats

Attached: image%3A7668.png (522x398, 505K)

I'm looking for a x220 battery since mine only holds 3 hours but before I purchase.
What's the correct way of recharging battery, when to leave ac in etc to prolong the life of a battery and maximise the capacity?

>>Join both chat below, both servers are partnered
>>TPG Sup Forums chat by xsauc: discord.gg/SnMqrjE
>>/r/thinkpad reddit chat by jpsuliz: discordapp.com/invite/mGWNsaN

>he fell for the 20 series meme
ticket.coreboot.org/issues/121
mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-June/084549.html
Enjoy your garbage tier cpu

Even better

3 hours seems ok but a bit short.

I'd try to drain to 5% then charge to 100% 2-3 times and you'll be ok

Go up to her and start talking about thinkpads
That should help

I also enjoy it on my X230 user

>he doesn't know 7200 equals 780
What's deal with American education???

How do I know I have the old keyboard? I assume mines old since its not the square keys like the mac?

Dunno about the x220 but I'm using the classic non-"""app""" power manager from lenovo on my T440p running W10 LTSB and all the option and the battery charging thresholds work great, it should be the same thing with the x220.

>What are you fellow enlightened gentlemen doing?
Waiting for my Illyapad's 8-cell battery to arrive.

Does the x220t get hot easily? Considering an i7 model.
I don't mind short battery life since I'll use it on my desk for drawing, but noisy fans and overheating bother me.

repaste and your temp won't be that hot under load

How do i know if its compatible?
Im browsing through ebay and the like for a new laptop currently, is there a way for me to tell which laptops will be compatible without googling each one

>girl
LMAO

>2% performance improvement over the previous generation justifies a dogshit keyboard and requiring an external hardware flasher to unlock your motherboard

Too expensive, snipe some auctions on ebay for $20 if you want it as a meme you can mess around with.

It does that on all trackpoints on any OS, that's just the way the technology works.

Newer keyboards have ugly chiclet looking keys, the older ones look like older keyboards but flattened down.

X220/X230 anything I've heard get very hot under normal use. I've re-pasted my girlfriend's X220T once and it didn't really help at all. I've seen some anons drill extra holes into their chassis to allow more airflow, but honestly a little extra heat isn't unbearable or anything... As long as it doesn't throttle.

Most laptops are pretty lenient, just check if your new laptop supports DDR4, DDR3, or DDR2. If it's not the same as your old laptop, the RAM won't fit.

Attached: W500_docked2.jpg (2136x1424, 1.86M)

Ram guy here
Mucho thanks

>implying anyone who knows what a better wifi card is completely incapable of reading instructions and flashing their bios
>implying you can't swap the keyboard
If you're gonna build good thinkpad why not use the better platform

Also don't defend the frog poster pls
Thanks

for the price of at480 with 256/8/i8250 i can buy a latitude 7490 with 8/512/i8650. really tempted to just get the dell

Bought pic related.

Anybody else here have a T470s? Or maybe know why the hell the battery life on it so god damn terrible. I mean I can roughly get out 4 hours of usage time out of it... thats only when I'm just browsing / listening to music on headphones.

Understandably even less if I'm running VM's and programming.

Attached: waonazkhqldz.jpg (3000x2000, 3.8M)

This picture is both beautiful and aumanchildrentistic at the same time.

SXGA+ IPS T60 near mint condition sans battery and HDD for $50 egay. Guy knew nothing about it, had to dig around for specs based on model type.

Paid $428 for my T420 i7 and I'm happy with that
Used computers and parts are by default about 40% more expensive in my country
Still feel like I got a good deal, the keyboard and laptop is just super comfy
I don't regret getting memed, thanks guys

Windows.

thats sick
what country are you livin in?

>paid $428 for a fucking T420
you should be ashamed you absolute fucking retard

Attached: images.jpg (179x282, 7K)

Can you go be a fucking nigger some where else you stupid frog poster

>stupid
at least i didnt pay half grand for a t420

Attached: ede2b35ab00e4365be8e199112a17567.jpg (363x550, 35K)

Can you go be a fucking nigger some where else you stupid frog poster

Norway

There's an 25% import charge on everything over 350 NOK (roughly 45 USD) shipping is kinda expensive and then retailers take a premium
Most of the craptops I can get new for $650 or less have low-end celeron/pentium quadcore processors with 64gb and 4gb RAM and are fragile as fuck

this is the wrong meme frog to use with T420 posts. Kindly only use that frog for T430 posts

I overpaid by $200 compared to (You) for something I like, how will I ever recover

no user you overpaid by $300. and you seem to be happy about it, which is fucking hilarious

Attached: 1400890630195.jpg (342x342, 56K)

ok

not everyone has the privilege of living in a free country with fair technology prices

>Free country
Americans still think they are free

Attached: download.jpg (259x194, 6K)

this
He also feels he 'got a great deal'. I got a T430 for $80. Less than 1/5 the price

>Paid $428 for my T420
HAHAHAHA

Attached: source.gif (500x250, 1.52M)

Welp gents, I've accidently dove head first into the meme.

>see t430 for $99 in good condition with an extended battery and no hdd on ebay.
>offer $90
>gets accepted

>already have a 250gb ssd so buy a caddy/cover for $6 on ebay
>buy 4gb stick of ram for $17

>yesterday see an i7-3720qm CPU for $80 on eBay
>offer $70
>gets accepted

Now I'm debating if I want to get a t420 keyboard and the 1080p screen mod.

The chiclet keyboard feels pretty good to me, so I think I'll just remove the keys to clean it and see how that goes.

It looks like the screen has been replaced with a glossy one already, but it has a couple of stuck pixels that are not noticeable unless the screen is all white.

Anyway, this is a pretty awesome laptop for a total investment of about $200. If I get an egpu adapter it will be about as powerful as my desktop that recently had its mobo fail.

Thanks for exposing me to the meme Sup Forums.

$428 fag here. I'm returning the T420 because of an overheating issue
I get full price + shipping refunded
Currently looking at another T420 for less than half the price

for god sake that prices
compare to our prices I'm feeling like you are have all that stuff for free

Another fellow nordic?

worst

Venezuela?

Funny joke but I wish it snowed like that here.

worst
but still better than zimbabwe

>The chiclet keyboard feels pretty good to me, so I think I'll just remove the keys to clean it and see how that goes.

I have no idea how to remove those without breaking key claws, they are fragile as shit, not the same as for classic keyboard

Was trying do the same as that asian guy youtube.com/watch?v=3X8fwcVKjnY
but have no luck, they just does not pull off, even more force will definitely breaks it

>Oh the thinkpad user
>it's shit
>it's kinda embarrassing
>but I can't afford anything expensive like macbook
>I wish I had the macbook air.
Just asking out for the thinkpad seems weird, well maybe she is actually tech savvy. Go for it maybe you loose your virginity and get Sup Forumsirlfriend.

Well that sucks. Any other suggestions on how to clean out the keyboard without removing the keys?

I may just get a new aftermarket one that I found for $10. Or the t420 one for $30.

*yawwwwwn* Wow! after a great night of internet browsing on my Thinkpad T580, I just woke up. I am very well rested because Windows 10 lets me adjust my screen color to reduce eye stress. That, coupled with the amazing UHD 4k screen, really makes a pleasant browsing experience.

hmmmm what should I do today on my Thinkpad Brand Thinkpad?

uninstall botnet

I'll consider it, but this interface is so smooth and enjoyable.

Maybe I'll crank the dGPU and play some runescape or a game off miniclip?

does the new thinkpads w/ outdated mx150 even work properly with bumblebee?

You could just wash your hole.

So im looking on ebay for an ssd and ive got two questions
Why do they look different?
Some look like cards and others are kinda square shaped?
And the second question, why the price difference
Ill see two ssd's of the same size varying hundreds of dollars in price

going to get best thinkpad x230!
is there some special order u need to do these things?
change keyboard, flash bios, coreboot, change to 1080p screen?
the flashthings for coreboot is on post office, can i start with that?

can I boot this iso from usb and update or does it have to be a cd?

Attached: 2018-03-16 13_34_29-BIOS Update (Bootable CD) for Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vi (1489x494, 48K)

Disassembling the M6600 to put new paste and a new keyboard was an absolute chore. Fortunately there was this video.
>youtube.com/watch?v=ZAyPtXDJ4BI

As I suspected, the fans needed moderate clean-up and the thermal paste was completely dry. Servicing and cleaning the CPU fan is relatively easy. Forget about that for the GPU fan: it will require (You) to completely disassemble the laptop. While you won't "need" to completely tear apart the laptop to access the 3rd and 4th RAM slots, you still will need to remove the keyboard and all the billions of screws on the back of the laptop.

Since I didn't bother to take a pic, have fun with that blurry, watermarked one.

Attached: IMG_3381.jpg (3072x2041, 764K)

would be nice if you can post pictures of what you're talking about

some ssds have different shapes, like the 850 evo being msata and regular 2.5 sata at the same time

can do any order

I tried usb but it didn't work on my T430, so I used the windows tool

Im using pc for the research and mobile for this thread
But if you search ssd on ebay you will see two distinct kinds, on being a card, and the other being a sort of brick

I'm guessing the card ones you're referring to are the mSATA ones

I have a question regarding my x220t: The screen, when the laptop is closed, always touches the plastic where the volume control and ThinKVantage buttons are located. It's obviously damaging the border of the screen and I am kinda worried it may eventually affect the touch screen capabilities, is there anything I could do? Should I just go ahead and replace the rotating thingy in the middle of this laptop?

Attached: 2018-03-16 15_31_13-photo_2018-03-16_15-27-15.jpg - IrfanView (Zoom_ 469 x 625).png (467x624, 460K)

I recently bought a X220T, it's possible to put a 1080p screen on it?

Attached: 1spdgljqm7101.jpg (500x750, 51K)

shave the volume button cover so it doesn't contact

Nice T430, the extended battery is very useful. I fell for the T440p meme and kind of regret it, inferior to the T430 in every way except for CPU and screen.

At least he didn't get a T430 like this user: And this user:

Attached: 1462878065723.gif (200x113, 1021K)