/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Attached: yande.re 313421 cleavage disc_cover feet headphones ponkan_8 shirobako toudou_misa.jpg (1676x2257, 1.32M)

Other urls found in this thread:

superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/best-amps-for-the-sennheiser-hd800-2017-edition.3408/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what is the second best headphone behind the ma900?

Attached: 127E18BD-024E-4627-8656-67E94C1B473E.jpg (3089x3018, 2.49M)

I'm the guy that bought the HD 800 and HDVD 800 for $1700. I still have my magni/modi. I'm more curious than anything if the HDVD will do anything better.

Attached: 1518787854713.gif (700x600, 896K)

Worst OP in weeks. A boy wearing beats?

Well, see for yourself. If there's any rationality in you, you will end up selling it on your own, without having to take anyone else's advice, once you A/B test it.

>DT990
vomit
>boy
>cleavage

it's worse. it will change the sound for the hd800 because it is high impedance but that's not what SS should be doing. SS should be transparent. what you are looking for are tube amps if you want that

WIll do!

do blind testing. it's ridiculously easy if you have friends. they'll laugh at you for spending 2k on audio equipment but it's the best way to find out

>>boy
>>cleavage
It's "current times". ""boys"" can have cleavage. It still doesn't look like a woman.

Attached: C41C7910-E368-4BA2-82D1-88113A45B269.jpg (2772x3698, 2.08M)

>tubes
vomit
>is too gay to appreciate tomboys
>is complaining that it looks like a boy despite being gay

it's a tomboy user
traps have desensitized you

Attached: E8FB4C06-2EE0-457A-B8E1-6CD1FA443CA0.jpg (1343x1714, 601K)

Attached: 4EAB78C7-F6C2-4EA5-AC4E-782403E8F73D.jpg (4032x3024, 2.2M)

Attached: 20180316_140421.jpg (1333x1000, 269K)

I posted the HD 800, the HDVD 800 will come later. Brought that off eBay as well. The HD 800 were cheap ($700) because the cords have a cut on them...looks like the eBay seller put electric tape on them.

Attached: image.jpg (3297x2473, 1.39M)

woah, what an idiot.
should have just bought some STIX(tm) brand EARSPEAKERS for that kind of money.

Was first purchase for headphones. I'll give it a month and then sell and do something else if its not up to snuff.

>spending $700 on HD800 when HD600, the best headphones in the world, are $400 cheaper

>tfw Yuru Camp through MA900

Attached: [HorribleSubs]_Yuru_Camp_-_11_[720p].mkv_snapshot_15.25_[2018.03.15_23.15.58].png (1920x1080, 3.07M)

I'm sure you will keep them.
The amp, not so much.

>Not following sbaf hd800 amp pairing advice.

superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/best-amps-for-the-sennheiser-hd800-2017-edition.3408/

Attached: 1520985157397.jpg (400x396, 29K)

I actually have the mangi Uber which is on the list.

*blind ABX test
Sighted AB depends on the strength of the user's mind.

Looks good.
I ordered Campfire Orion yesterday as my first step into IEM world.

I'm on the massdrop lnbm drop so I am pretty excited for that, at least. I've only dabbled in tubes once quite a while back (a La Figaro/Darkvoice) but I ended up selling it since it was more of a side/downgrade.

Attached: DNUIlPNVoAEPTXX.jpg (1500x1000, 335K)

The HDVD dingus, you fucked up.

Won’t be long now

Attached: FC081DB4-5F2A-4D1B-854D-4C212C18834D.jpg (600x600, 249K)

>Sighted AB depends on the strength of the user's mind.
And an understanding of volume matching. Human hearing doesn't perceive the sudden addition of like 0.5dB or 1dB as being "louder" but as being "better, clearer". The easiest way to toy with this and see the impact of tiny volume changes has is to listen to some song at a very low volume level where things like loudness of bass and treble is perceived at a much lower level than midrange. After a minute or two, start turning the knob very, very slightly higher. Just move the volume a wee tiny bit. Does it really feel louder? The first impression is that oh god I removed a veil!

kill yourself my man

Ok

>taking advice from this diarrhea dumpster fire
>"extremely poor value unless you already have a $5-10k turntable or $10k DAC."
>"Sennheiser HDVD600 / 800 Good synergy with the HD800, but poor value and the amp does not scale well with better sources."

hahahaha, amps scaling better with high end dacs or even better, "high end" vinyl. Thats right kiddos, you won't unlock the full potential of your $2000 headphone amplifier until you pair it with a $5k dac or turntable LUL.

>"As far as amping, solid-state amps will generally be not as good as tube or hybrid amps for the HD800. There are some exceptions of course such as the Schiit Ragnarok. Also, tube amps which are overly warm, syrupy, slow, or romantic (cathode follower OTL designs, OPT with cheap output transformers, Chi-Fi push-pull cathode bias, etc.) will not be mentioned. They do cure the HD800s dry sound, but at too high of a price in terms of clarity, transient response, microdetail, microdynamics, etc. Personally, I think you are much better off with an HD650, preferably modded, with a very technically and musically capable amp. If you like the romantic smoothed-over-to-shit kind of sound, best to seek advice somewhere else."

i'm done.. the lexicon is full retard audiophool. "technically and musically capable amps".. yup, such vast differences and sweet, syrupy romantic sound from +/- 0.5 dB deviations in FR, if any change at all once volume matched.

Attached: AUDIOQUALITYDEFINED.png (904x840, 256K)

I mean, that graph could be true. they could all measure like shit so they would measure differently, making audible differences possible. it would be a pretty ironic twist if that was the case

don't do it user-kun

Was Sup Forums frozen for a little while there? Anyway,

I've just joined the headphone master race (or casual, depending on Sup Forums's input) and can now post in /hpg/ threads! What does Sup Forums think of Bluedio products? I just recently bought pic related. Tried them out for a little bit and damn, these are heavily worth the amount I got them for, IMO. I had the T4S Turbine Superiors as my first pair of headphones for a little while, and the Victory was a HUGE step up for me. Comfort and quality wise, way better than the T4S. Sound wise, a really good upgrade.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1100x1100, 114K)

>Budget
250 dollarydoos, alternatively 2000 swedish crowns.
>Location
Sweden
>Source
Computer. I don't have an amp.
>Type of headphone
Full-size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort
It's not a priority but I wouldn't want to be completely without comfort
>Sound signature
v-shaped
>Past headphones
Crap mostly. Unknown chinese brands and this Logitech G930 that I've had for at least six years now. It still works """fine""", I mostly just use it when talking with friends on the computer and I'm up and moving around in my house. I get better audio from 10$ earbuds.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1513498699733.jpg (1920x1173, 482K)

The only thing I'm really confused about is Bluedio's boxing motif: Some have additional word presentation (such as "Amazing Life", "Feeling Music", etc.) under the brand name, and others do not. Are there any differences to the product for those that do and those that don't? It doesn't help that this company doesn't seem to have a release lineup anywhere on the Internet for their products, so you can't see if you have the latest model, or if there is a better version of it out there (see T4 and T4S, as both are very similar in looks and their boxing).

Attached: Bluedio+Victory+.jpg (600x598, 192K)

a990z

>bluedio
They're REALLY bad. Don't want to spoil your new toy, but bluedio is really bottom of the barrel as far as sound quality goes.

They're about 2700 swedish crowns, so they're a bit too expensive.

a550z or CAL

>they could all measure like shit so they would measure differently, making audible differences possible.

Thats often the case with esoteric audiophile stuff. Competently designed and well implemented neutral DACs or AMPs are virtually indistinguishable from one another in sound.

If I can actually hear a big difference between dacs/amps thats a huge red flag to me, that one of the dacs design is completely fucked. The differences between neutral dacs/amps are so subtle they can be easily accredited to changes in a person's ear pressure or mood and focus.

you want to hear a massive noticeable change in sound? buy the minidsp headphone measuring tool and run that your headphones through it to create a custom profile thats channel matched and DSPed. Then A/B with the profile on and off.. thats a difference you can hear and SEE for sure.

Attached: 282A1617.jpg (228x350, 9K)

Well now I feel bad. Also nice dubs btw. Are they really that bad? The Smart Touch controls on the Victories are pretty cool to use, at least. And the overall look of the headphone itself doesn't look too bad: it has a nice matte finish on the sides.

[spoiler]I'm probably just going through the motions of defending myself from buyer's remorse right now.[/spoiler]

Attached: 200w1.gif (200x150, 316K)

return periods user-chan

MiniDSP's included compensation curve sounds quite a bit off. It's overly bright and harsh, a lot like Tyll's ID curve. You also need to account for how your ears play with the headphone enclosure.

However, the EARS are perfect up to around 3Khz, so any problems under there are easy to fix and I think with a bit of effort you can create a custom compensation that works for your (human) ears.

Does it let you define your own targets? Could just use the er4xr or sr FR as a target.

It's a bit tricky to edit the preset files, so what I did is create an EQ for the mic inputs of the EARS to make my EQ'd HD600 the basis for "flat" in the treble. So far, it's lead to mixed results. I think averaging my current curve with SR507s might get me to where I'm satisfied.

If it were possible to get it working flawlessly I would buy it immediately. The possibilities are endless.
I would buy another msr7 to use with it. I've never had a headphone that took to eq so well. You could do literally anything in peace and it sounded fine.

i'm never gonna buy a dac
get owned fags

xth for elf ear iems

Attached: elf ears.jpg (552x461, 42K)

Why not? The behringer umc204hd is a top tier performing DAC that also offers you a shit load of connectivity like two mic pre's and all kinds of outputs for only $80.
The connectivity alone is worth the $80. Then just run it through a cheap amp like a DIY o2 and you got a top tier set up for like $120.

The bass is apparently a little low on these suggestions according to review. Any other suggestions? Semi-closed is fine too.

Lol

To be fair there is a couple of good amps there.

But you know honestly, I think I'll be alright. For the amount that I spent, I'm okay with what I have. I'm not super headphone tech savvy like /hpg/ is, and I don't think I'd be able to spend the amount of money on audio gear like you guys do, if I ever did want to get into high end music listening and sounds. It's enough for me. But I really appreciate your feedback, user. Thanks.

Attached: 1404988393351.gif (320x240, 1.98M)

Looking for some purchase advice if possible -

Which one of the pictured is better suited for gaming and music on PC? It's to replace a Sennheiser PC363D
I see there's a lot of hype over the Arctis Pro and the 373D's weren't too well received when they came out but surely Sennheiser couldn't have fucked up too badly from the 363D, which I've found to be great.

My criteria is max comfiness with excellent sound quality, good mic quality and no autistic extreme gaming ascetics.

Attached: Arctis Pro vs Sennheiser PC373D.png (637x328, 39K)

Creative aurvana live and gr07c both offer high fidelity experiences for dirt cheap. Just need a clean source to plug them into like a decent smartphone.

>tfw no blanket society

Attached: IMG_20180305_221913352.jpg (2080x1170, 1.35M)

Avoid steelseries like the plague. People are only talking about it because "omg it goes up to 40kHz" which is just marketing bullshit. They're super overpriced and the old arctis headsets have paper thin earpads that cause your ears to rub in the plastic driver housing.
Sennheiser headsets are ok sound quality wise, but they fall behind compared to headphones in similar price.

Attached: IMG_20180223_155849771.jpg (4160x2340, 2.42M)

you already bought one
nothin personnel kiddo

Thank you, do you recommend anything? - Budget of £220
I'd go for either open or closed as long as they're as comfy as the 363Ds.

What were the good superlux evos again? the 662 or the 681?

The ATH-AD900x are frequently recommended for gaming because of their wide soundstage and recessed base, but if you want to get some /hpg/ cred go buy a K712 Pro or something. They're cheaper for britbongs too.
If you do decide on the ATH-AD900x try to get them from the US because UK amazon way overprices them. Keep in mind their wing system isn't for everyone. And if you can't live without non-recessed bass they are still a lot of good options at that price range. It would be helpful if you used the template or listed features you would like

>Budget
90 Kangaroos
>Location
ɐilɐɹʇsn∀
>Source
Laptop
>Type of headphone
over/on ear
>Open or closed
either
>Comfort level
more important than sound
>Sound signature
Bassy
>Past headphones
Shit

You may have bought a great set who knows, they're wireless so they may be deemed great as far as wireless goes. The reviews seem to be very favorable, can you replace the pads if need be?

Much appreciated, looking into those now.

>Budget: £220, £250 if that thirty quid really adds quality

>Location: Britbong

>Source: PC

>Type of headphone: Full sized over ear

>Open or closed: Either, I've previously used open ear but not adverse to closed if it increases sound quality

>Comfort level: Needs to be at least as good as the 363D, I wear them for 6+ hours at a time occasionally.

>Sound signature: Don't really mind

>Past headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

I'm using onboard sound right now from a ASUS X99-A if it's relevant. (Open to buying a DAC if they really add that much to the experience)

AKG K712PRO maybe, we get them cheaper here in the uk than our American cousins, they're always mentioned in your price range.
I haven't got them but want them (I've only just bought a couple of other headphones recently.)
You could get a Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD as an amp at some point too maybe (another on my list)

Guys, i got memed into the L700, currently running it out of PC -> R2R 11 -> SRM 353X -> L700
What's the weakest link in my chain and is a dust cover necessary? Heard these plastic meme breaks if so much as a dust touches inside

You can fall for balanced meme and get balanced DAC (some audio-gd models. Topping DX7/DX7s) to connect 353x with XLR cables.

>Budget
~350 euros
>Location
Netherlands
>Source
PC with an old Fiio E07K (willing to upgrade, recommend me)
>Type of headphone
over ear preferred
>Open or closed
open, home listening
>Comfort level
important
>Sound signature
no preference
>Past headphones
Beyer DT 770s. happy, but slightly bassy, also clamped a bit too hard on my head. want to start using these at work as they're closed, and get open for home.

Are DT650s the best pick here?

The ear cup pads aren't replaceable. However, if they ever do rip and tear, the few that own this headset, and had problems with it, had no trouble with customer service and having them replaced with a new headset, so long as it was within the 18 month warranty. Apparently Bluedio's customer service representatives are above your average retail services, which is great.

Attached: 1333252845745.gif (400x400, 1.16M)

Well they certainly pushed the boat out with that model I'll give them that. Yeah I read some comments and apparently their customer service is great.

Attached: Bluedio-V-Victory-Pro-Patented-PPS12-Drivers-Wireless-Bluetooth-headphones-Black-Review-Buy (4).jpg (1190x771, 86K)

Attached: 516L08bxFuL.jpg (500x500, 38K)

if you're happy, don't worry about it
there will always be more shit to buy in due time

Your budget can more or less handle Sennheiser HD600. Do look up reviews of these.

Attached: 1495413162459.png (1000x1000, 631K)

I beseech thee Anons to offer guidance. I'm looking for a pair of earphones (preferably under $50, though I can go higher since I don't know how much I should be spending), that won't fall out of my ears while running, offer decent/good sound quality, have a clip for attachment to clothing, and are of the type on the left of pic related.

Many thanks.

Attached: left.png (330x184, 34K)

T-thanks you guys! I love you, and hope you guys have an amazing upcoming weekend.

Attached: 1488212195896.gif (420x231, 935K)

But are balanced like a meme meme or? Also are audio gd stuff actually good? I know i have the r2r 11 but have no previous reference to compare to, r2r 11 give off a noticable pop when changing tracks and fast fowarding etc basically anytime you mess with the audio on asio and wasapi.

Also dust cover yay or nay, im just throwing a walmart plastic bag over it atm lol.

Also interestingly i had though a amp would be the first suggestion like a kgssv (probably butchered that) or carbon amp or something

I want stock velour pads, closed, ok to drive through mobo/phone without needing extra amp/dac
I found Shure Srh940 that fill every need but I heard the headband snaps/breaks in amazon reviews.
Is this true? What do you know of them hpg? if it happens can I just put some duct tape on it?

why do you even need stock velour pads
just get an actually good headphone and replace the pads

Cause the sound will get fucked from pleather to velour

Just looked around, i'd steer clear myself. People fixing them with lego and random beyer dynamic parts etc.

How's the Fulla 2? There's something that rubs me the wrong way about Schiit, but it looks like a simple solution for getting decent audio.

Attached: 1500031028663.jpg (1920x1351, 123K)

its shit

Crap. Chink shit is unbeatable at sub-$100 budget.

Attached: de97340e6f41a240.jpg (750x500, 161K)

Alright, any suggestions for anything similar then?

I can’t believe this shit

Cute feet

If you're spending that much you should go with Benchmark.

He literally posted it in his post.

Chad akg/beyer/philips vs Soyheiser

Attached: 1520290498099.jpg (3264x2448, 1.74M)

>indonesian
>tripfag
guaranteed irredeemably shit taste

>Beyerdynamic 880 32 Ohm
y/n?

Balanced is a meme, but there are no reasons to avoid using it, if you have balanced equipment.
>Also are audio gd stuff actually good?
No first hand experience with them, sorry.
>give off a noticable pop when changing tracks and fast fowarding etc basically anytime you mess with the audio on asio and wasapi
I don't get anything like that with my new Topping DX7s. Properly built DAC shouldn't do this.

Typical Agayg, Gayer Dynamic Philsbuttlips poster... A penis fetishist who sticks bananas up his butt.

Attached: 1465923483831.png (255x204, 50K)

I've got one. Pretty nifty usb thing.
The DAC is good (measures good enough it should be transparent), the amp is a little weak, but at least it's flat.
HD598 is happy with it, HD600 will distort a little on the higher end of the volume knob.

Attached: 1511046883827.png (1000x1400, 1.31M)