Is renting a modem for suckers?

I have been meaning to get my own modem for years. I have my own router and used to just rent the modem. Suddenly the modem up and died after a snowstorm. I almost wonder if it was planned obsolescence or them killing it remotely.

Now they say they only provide modem and router all-in-one units. I can't configure shit on it like my own router.

My friend who ran the internet at my old apartment has his own modem at his place. I forget which one he said. It sounds much better than paying every month for a model. It probrably will pay for itself soon enough.

What does Sup Forums think about renting modems? Are they fleecing people with shitty rented ones? What ones are good to own?

Attached: the modem I see of you the less I like you.jpg (680x566, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ubnt.com/ufiber/ufiber-nano-g/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Also, I remember back when I was un dorms and we had just a switch to connect to the school network. Heh. Anyone got any idea what to do with these paper weights?

Attached: BrYAX.jpg (1650x996, 163K)

>Is renting a modem for suckers?
Yes.

I bought a doscis 3.0 modem that supposedly supported up to 1.4gbps.

I got gigabit internet and the max speed was 300mbps. Apparently after a year of owning the modem doscis 3 was now obsolete. I spent twice as much money buying the modem as I would have renting one.

Don't fall for the scam. Just rent one.

Still use one of those as daily :-)

Bought a modem 4 years ago and I'm still using it today, even after switching ISPs. Buy one after doing research. Don't get the router/modem combos because those aren't ever good.

>it is free
>paying for a FTTH modem

I don't even know where to look, is this ubnt.com/ufiber/ufiber-nano-g/
one? how will i know my fiber meme cable fits into the modem...

Don't rent modems, its a fucking huge rip off.
Check for local used/junk part stores in your area. I've got a local place called FreeGeek and they sell docsis 3 router/modems for $5.

Yes cause modems are cheap

>paying for a FTTH modem
It's called an ONT. Fiber doesn't use modems.

Using a modem is for suckers.
Ethernet port straight from the wall (fiber) to your own DD-WRT based router is the way to go.

>Fiber doesn't use modems.

Attached: 1520199791838.jpg (760x613, 65K)

Yes, never rent a modem. My parents rented a modem for like 10 years... they paid like 5x what the modem was worth and still didn't own it. When they switched service they got charged full price for not returning equipment, even though they did.

They don't, an ONT operates nothing like a modem besides providing you a WAN IP

At comcast if you dont rent a modem then you dont get free customer support.

Renting is for morons. A nice modem is like $70 and rental is $8-10 a month. Fuck that.

Spectrum gave me a modem for free

my ISP throws a new modem at me every year. Literally have a stack of them in a drawer soemwhere

I only get charged monthly for renting the router, which I don't even want. The TV''s refuse to work unless their modem is on the network for some reason. I've just had them daisy chained to get around this while still using my own router.

I'm not charged for the modem but I do think I have to give it back if I leave.

this is really semantic but you can kinda think of an ONT as a modem where the value being modulated is the signal length

Same.

Wonder if reselling them would be worth it.

Same with me.

If I ever move to an area that only Comcast serves, I'll actually buy my own modem if they want to charge me for their rental.

You will be paying much more money over time renting a modem. That's all you really need to know.

I got an Arris Surfboard SB8200 Docsis 3.1, I recommend it if you want a modem that's somewhat future proof for gigabit internet.

For me buying was the only way to go as Spectrum was only willing to give me some shitty modem/wireless router combo that would probably shit itself if my mom was trying watch Netflix and I was moving data between two local devices. A standalone modem and a cheap DDWRT'd router was easily the better choice. Also I like to keep our guest's devices and my dad's virus ridden laptop on a separate subnet so there's no chance of their shit having access to my devices

you get a router with built in modem here if you dont already have one which most people do because we're not cucks like OP

why the fuck would you rent one when you can buy a decent one for $50?

a few years ago, Spectrum sent me a notice stating they would begin charging me $5 to rent my 14 year old modem. I immediately bought a new modem and told them to shove the old one up their ass. My modem paid for itself in less than 2 years. IMO, renting is for suckers.

>100 mbit ethernet
>uses daily
it's time for an upgrade.
yep. bought a cheap one and I've been checking to see if they've pushed firmware to it and they haven't updated it. in fact, they're trying to push me firmware that is OLDER than what it shipped with.

>been to a couple foreclosed houses
>they always leave their modem/router behind
>currently have 2 spectrum modem/router combos
>tell spectrum its my modem
>don't get charged rental fee even though it is their modem

I have ATT Gigapower (((TM))) what modem can I buy that will work with that shit? I cant seem to find any?

Please help.

They tell you its free, but it is still $5 a month.

>renting anything ever

Stop being stupid.

ATT uses Fiber which requires you use their equipment. You can use your own router though.

For cable you can use your own cable modem and router. Some ISP's lend you a modem for free and others charge rent.

Fiber uses ONTs which are managed entirely by your ISP.

You have no reason to have access to fiber signal attenuation and your ISP should be managing all of that, giving you access would only add an extra layer of potential problems.

halo CE lan party

who rents a $40-60 device?

umm someone with fiber network?

There is no reason you have to.
My ISP is fiber, they have an ONT attached to the outside of the house that converts fiber into ethernet, from there I plug the ethernet into my router (that I own, not an ISP rental).

That's it.

Attached: 2018-03-15 15_22_56.png (352x202, 15K)

Let's see, either pay an extra $8 every month forever, or pay a one time fee of $100.

While renting, you also are liable for any damages, cannot flash it, and basically are stuck using it like a giant pleb.

>While renting, you also are liable for any damages, cannot flash it, and basically are stuck using it like a giant pleb.
back when I was renting i wasn't responsible for any damages through normal use.

I had 3 modems die on me over 6 years and each time it was replaced for free.

The good news with Renting is if it dies, you can get another one.

How is the RMA process on a defective bought one?

Pretty easy.
I didn't like one of the modems I had, so I sent it back and got a better one. Got my money back within 2 days.

>that converts fiber into Ethernet

ONT could be the modem you do pay for it. But rarely isp giving away ONT for free just like that.

>Is renting a modem for suckers?
No, because it is their equipment and they have to fuck with it.

>tfw there are only eurodocsis providers in my area.
>tfw even if I have my own modem, they will flash it with their own firmware to make it work or force me to use one of their own

yes, that's fucking retarded

we use the stock modem and router, but they come free as part of the initial setup

It's attached to the house, bolted onto the wall and locked.
The ONT is owned by the ISP, no money is paid for rental.

literally yes, just get a t-mobile phone with unlimited high speed hotspot (like $110)

Vancouver is very gay and I hate living near it

You can get a good 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 modem for under $100, you'll spend more than that in a year with most ISPs if you rent.

>renting a modem
how poor are you? they're like 20$

This is false. I have Comcast and own my own modem and have used support twice without being charged.

I have a router/modem combo from my ISP you can set them to just act as a modem desu

its FREE for that year promotion thwn after that you pay regulr price to rent it..

that 29.95 price is for ONE YEAR after that they double your rate which is regular price

you faggots should read all the fine print on their "deals"