/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

previous thread →

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try protonmail or disroot

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1472683749228.png (500x375, 238K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tools.suckless.org/ii/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users_and_groups#Example_adding_a_user
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#GUI_toolkits
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why do I need root to do literally anything? I can't even edit text files in my home directory without needing to use sudo
Where did I go wrong? What is the fix
The only fix I've done so far is chowning my /home

Attached: mantis_shrimp_raptorial_appendage.jpg (1428x594, 534K)

I recently switched to XFCE and now my Scarlett 2i4 (audio interface) no longer works. I can only see it under configuration now, worked just fine when I used cinnamon though. What do? The device is also missing in my DAW and crashes when the audio engine activates.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-16 18-44-48.png (510x429, 27K)

how to make moc not look for plugins? it slows it down

Can't load plugin libaac_decoder: file not found
Can't load plugin libmusepack_decoder: file not found
Can't load plugin libwavpack_decoder: file not found

Did you chown recursively?

>>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
>Try protonmail or disroot

The best way is to register your own domain name, then host it at your home server.

I do this myself but some people don't have the time/skill to do it, for them I recommend protonmail

How the fuck do I unlock my full disk encryption at boot using a USB key file instead of a passphrase? I've been searching for hours and just finding random posts talking about it vaguely instead of giving clear instructions.

Archwiki
Luks#usb keyfile

How can I prevent tracking on the internet?

>Don't use Google (DuckDuckGo) or Gmail (Self hosted email server), Google Docs (Self hosted nextcloud), Google Drive, etc.

>Leaving Facebook soon

>Run secure chat server for friends, don't allow people to talk to me about anything remotely important outside of it

>Linux Mint (KDE) + Firefox w/ uBlock, User-agent switcher, NoScript, Privacy Badger, Ghostery, Decentraleyes, Temporary Tab Containers(in automatic mode), HTTPS everywhere

>Tor for anything sensitive

>32GB USB w/ TAILS

Attached: antifacebook.jpg (594x336, 32K)

>Linux Mint

Attached: mint.png (660x734, 38K)

Plan to switch away from it ASAP, probably to PureOS

I've seen # links to this supposed section but it doesn't exist.

Its not the LITERAL link to it, but read the god damn wiki, it babysteps you

I've read the wiki. That's how I set up Luks in the first place. But I don't see anything about setting up a USB key file to unlock at boot.

Then you didnt/cant read

flatpak or snap firefox with patched meme file picker where?

Considering the patch is for gtk...never

I should have been more specific I want the one with the opensuse QT patch

Considering the patch is for qt...never

Installed a fresh copy of Linux and everything looks tiny as fuck as if it was for ants.

I'm using a 4k resolution. How do I make everything bigger?

Are there any IRC clients that I can access remotely (like a web interface)? I have a raspberry pi seeding torrents and doing other stuff and it'd be nice if I could have it connected to IRC at all times so I don't miss any conversation directed at me.

chown -R someuser:somegroup /home/user/*
chmod -R ug=rwX,o=rX /home/user
In the second line, the X means: set execute bit if the file is a directory or already has execute permission for some user.

dpi

What distro would you recommend for a T420? Right now Im on linuxmint but I also have my desktop on that setup so I want to experiment with the laptop. Boot speed is a plus. I want to use my T420 to learn programming and shitposting.

Anyone know anything good for digital signage? Trying to set up a few menu boards for two delis with the same owner, possibly using Pis or similar. Something centrally managed would be nice. I've looked at things like Concerto but they were all shitty.

Attached: digital-menu-board.jpg (1200x627, 161K)

>What distro would you recommend for*
Gentoo

no seriously

Prove it. Link me to the correct place on the wiki where my question is answered.

what is the best and safest way to uninstall windows 10 so that i can go ahead and install linux?

Sludgehammer

How do I create a desktop shortcut?

just scored a free T61 and am poasting from my Fedora 26 LXDE system, have told myself I would teach myself Linux this year, went balls deep and installed it onto the SSD, wish me luck guys

I don't know anything about digital signs, but if someone asked me to do this I would just write a startup script for the rpis that caused them to boot directly into a fullscreen viewer of whatever file type is being used (is figuring out what file type to use part of your job?) and display a file that's stored locally. Then I'd write a script that, when run from some office computer somewhere, pushes new files to the rpi via scp or some such thing.

What's wrong with doing it that way?

Sorry for my ignorant non-answer, but I am curious to know why this requires special software.

Ive definitely heard its the memeist distro, what is your reasoning?

Run weechat on the machine and then just SSH to it. Otherwise, I think weechat has some kind of remote interface, but I've never used it because SSH + "tmux attach" is just simpler.

Starting with Mint, Fedora, or Debian and moving to Gentoo when you feel like learning more is what I recommend to everyone who is not hopelessly tech illiterate. You said you want to experiment, so you're probably ready.

Gentoo is not very noob-friendly, but if you're willing and able to learn how it works it's the easiest distro to use, in my opinion. I'd say that it's kind of like how classic cars are easier to work on than modern ones, but harder to own for people who don't know how to work on them. It's not a perfect analogy, but the point is that it's both a pretty good way to learn and a great system for people who have already done the learning. It's a meme because it's an ironic thing to recommend to someone who wants to know how to hack facebook.

I use it on my desktop as well as on a 9 year old netbook. Updates can take a pretty long time on the netbook, but if you're willing to let them run over night it's not a big deal. Boot times are reasonable even on a 1.6 GHz, hyperthreaded single core. If you want fast boot times, though, just hibernate instead of shutting down. You don't really ever need to shut down all the way unless you're changing kernels, at least not with Gentoo.

Yeah I was thinking SSH with some command line interface would be an option. Thanks, I'll look into it.

can someone please explain to me why zorin os has such a bad reputation around here?

Allow me to quote their About page.

>Despite the enormous advantages it has over traditional operating systems, we recognized that the biggest barrier to the success of Linux on desktop computers was that it wasn't user-friendly enough. Linux-based operating systems were generally designed for engineers by engineers, with little consideration for regular users. We decided to fix this.

That's why it has a shit reputation, because its built for retards.

so people are salty that new users can get into it easily?

on distrowatch the distro has a user rating of 7.7. i start to believe that all this hate is nothing more than some kind of Sup Forums projection again.

No.

The problem is that things that are built for retards have training wheels or make assumptions that are difficult or annoying for skilled users to overcome.

As much as you would like to think that Sup Forums is full of retards, there are a reasonable number of competent users here, and they don't want shit getting in the way of actually using their computer. As a result, they're going to unironically recommend things like Gentoo, and decry things like Zorin.

People here hate visual studio and repeat the meme it takes 60gb to install for more than 5 years, what else do you expect

okay i see, but what exactly cant you do on zorin that you can do in other distros?
what i dont get is why they hate it. i am capable of using a bike, so i automatically hate on training wheels because i cant do certain things with them. but they are very useful for kids, ie beginners. to just hate on them because of this is very ignorant.

If you can ride a bike without training wheels, why would you choose one that has them, given the choice?

>what can't you do with Zorin

You can't not have systemd without some fucking around, which is, as I described, simply an annoyance to users who prefer choice and freedom.

tools.suckless.org/ii/
Saves the chat to a simple text file, you also reply simply by echoing your reply to those files.

> no net install, just 'lite'
So fuck you if you don't want their GNOME spin. What if I want to make a headless Zorin appliance or server?
>you need a server os for that. like ubuntu
Does Ubuntu have a desktop too? That sure would save me some time.
> bi-yearly release cycle
I get my video drivers from mainline kernel and Xorg. No thanks. Not to mention all the strange odds and ends I now have to build because Zorin's version isn't new enough or isn't packaged at all. No, I'm not going to pull in stuff from Ubuntu and make a FrankenDebian.

There's nothing you literally can't do on Zorin that you can on another distro, but it would be so labor intensive that it would need to have Windows-like market share before I could be bothered. As it stands it's just Ubuntu but worse in every conceivable way.

Hey guys, my friend just changed his main OS to ParrotOS, and while i was over, i was pretty comfy with it. Low resource use from what i could tell, and looks pretty good for me. What do you think about it? Are there some better alternatives ?

thank you, I'll start studying up on it

Recompile it with those options disabled.

Because you caused it by using "sudo" in the first place. Look up what sudo does. Then look up permissions. Then apply common sense to what happens when you do the things you've been doing.

Desktop files.

It's a pointless downstream distribution that contributes nothing worthwhile and does proprietary things judging by the price tag and restricted features.

The same programs use the same resources on any distribution.

Where is the legacy tray icon thing in Gnome now? If I close Discord or Steam or whatever, they're still running in the background but I can't find the icons.

what does "disk sleep" mean exactly?
was copying a file or some from disk to disk they should not bee sleeping lazy bastards damn them

Attached: Screenshot_20180317_104312.png (980x546, 82K)

good luck being able to deliver messages from a home email server

'special software' is easier for customers to understand and is just generally more efficient for the market. That goes on in any industry, especially these niches.

How to use properly the output of strace for debugging?

Any alternatives to Google Calendar?

I'm eyeing Lightning Calendar and Evolution (Gnome).

How does babbie easily configure xubuntu LTS for a high dpi display? The DPI setting in xsettings seems to only change text but no other elements.

When i launch android emulator, i get corrupted sound for time of load+a little bit more. Roughly for 1 min. It's quite annoying. I had that since i first time tried android development on linux in 2016, but it still persist. I changed computer, new distro with new kernel, but i still get that. I really tried to google for solutions, but i wasn't even able to find anyone with same trouble. What can be done?

Nah, I have a folder in my hdd, but need a shortcut on the desktop.

What is the point of having a usergroup with your own name?

My 128GB Sandisk USB 3.0 (the ones that overheat like a bitch) has suddenly gone read only, on Fedora 27 KDE. How do I set it read-write again?

I've just installed Linux mint and I've got a weird problem, All my USB 2.0 ports don't seem to work, only the 3.0 ports work. I made sure to disable all uefi options in my bios. it's extra weird cause on Windows I had the exact opposite problem, only the USB 3.0 ports didn't work and all the 2.0 ports worked. I've searched around and can't find any solutions, anyone had a similar problem?

Attached: lain_wallpaper_001.jpg (1920x1080, 106K)

Check your fstab

This is the mount output for the USB btw /dev/sdb1 on /run/media/nigger/sandisk type vfat (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,flush,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)

#
# /etc/fstab
# Created by anaconda on Tue Nov 14 15:04:27 2017
#
# Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
# See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or blkid(8) for more info
#
/dev/mapper/fedora-root / ext4 defaults,x-systemd.device-timeout=0 1 1
UUID=472db3e4-c278-4fc3-baff-8e49970f2fd4 /boot ext4 defaults 1 2
UUID=4C14-8AB2 /boot/efi vfat umask=0077,shortname=winnt 0 2
/dev/mapper/fedora-home /home ext4 defaults,x-systemd.device-timeout=0 1 2
/dev/mapper/fedora-swap swap swap defaults,x-systemd.device-timeout=0 0 0

Thats all I see, the USB is still connected

>errors=remount-ro
maybe there's an error message in dmesg

isn't going read-only what flash storage does when it dies

;_;
I just bought it though
I'll look in dmesg, does it need to be inserted from boot to show anything?

There's hope then
[ 36.125787] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eno1: link becomes ready
[ 2823.765397] usb 4-2: new SuperSpeed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[ 2823.778467] usb 4-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0781, idProduct=5583
[ 2823.778472] usb 4-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 2823.778475] usb 4-2: Product: Ultra Fit
[ 2823.778478] usb 4-2: Manufacturer: SanDisk
[ 2823.778481] usb 4-2: SerialNumber: 4C530001090314114073
[ 2823.816724] usb-storage 4-2:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[ 2823.816866] scsi host6: usb-storage 4-2:1.0
[ 2823.816960] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[ 2823.821765] usbcore: registered new interface driver uas
[ 2824.877327] scsi 6:0:0:0: Direct-Access SanDisk Ultra Fit 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[ 2824.878225] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] 242614272 512-byte logical blocks: (124 GB/116 GiB)
[ 2824.878376] sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[ 2824.881089] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[ 2824.881093] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
[ 2824.881403] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[ 2824.929082] sdb: sdb1
[ 2824.930696] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
[ 2833.524781] FAT-fs (sdb1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
[ 2840.883376] FAT-fs (sdb1): error, fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 0)
[ 2840.883384] FAT-fs (sdb1): Filesystem has been set read-only

I would uninstall yaourt

>archshit
I would choose the rope on the stairs

thanks, it's working again, it needed 2 fscks for some reason.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

>it isn't friendly to have bants with archtoddlers
Dont be so boring

Is it safe to upgrade packages like libvirt and qemu above the versions available in the repos?
KDE neon is stuck on 16.04 LTS, but I need some newer versions.
Would upgrading these packages destabilize the system?
I assume not, since they're independent, but not sure

not
just get kubuntu 18.04 beta

In fact you didnt answer the question and the guy is probably gone now, so no, it wasn't friendly.

It's configured per toolkit, because that's what your programs use.

>archlinux tries subtle strategy to get us to answer his archshit question
Clever. But not that clever.

you install wine-staging-nine because its not out of date
you install wine-vulkan if you need vulkan support

Here's a solid reason.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users_and_groups#Example_adding_a_user

That's pretty nice.

Please explain.

Your programs use GUI toolkits like GTK3 or Qt5. Those handle the scaling (along with the display server I assume). Adjust their settings to make them scale according to your needs. Read the whole article and the section.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#GUI_toolkits

You're using Xfce and most of its programs are still using GTK2 (until 4.14 comes out) and GTK2 has bad high DPI support.

Not him, but this made me curious, is there a way to know which toolkit is being used?
E.g. I'm using Transmission on Fedora KDE, and would prefer it used the Qt toolkit, would it just do that by default, and how would I know?
It doesn't say anything obvious in the About screen.

I've been using Manjaro KDE on my desktop for a year, flawless experience. Now I bought a thinkpad with a nvidia quadro 2000m, and I'm not sure what should I do. On my desktop I've used the amd free drivers, but I've no experience with nvidia, let alone these mobile gpu's. What's the best distro that just werks with such hardware?

But isnt kubuntu shit

Why don't you just try your manjaro KDE with it?
I have a few-gens-old Nvidia and it has really shit support (no Vulkan etc) and it glitches on everything except for Ubuntu LTS (meaning only Ubuntu, not the variants).
Nah it's decent, and 18.04 will be miles ahead of the previous versions which I heard a lot of bad things about.
It's basically using 5.12 Plasma which is stable and beautiful.
If you need new packages, you should just use Fedora KDE though. Not much significant difference between Fedora and Ubuntu these days.

Check your package with your package manager. It should mention it in its name (at least that's common sense). Alternatively check the package information with your package manager and see if it depends on Qt or GTK.

Also, to clarify things: that's just for Transmission, because Transmission has both a Qt and GTK version as far as I remember. Obviously you can't just take a program and make it "use" a different toolkit without rewriting it.

But the general way to check what toolkit your program uses is still the same. It should be listed in its dependencies.

>Transmission has both a Qt and GTK version
thats what prompted the question

Windows 7 in VirtualBox occasionally hangs up for no reason (it doesn't respond to keyboard or mouse). Host system is openSuse Leap 42.1.
How to stop that? How do I make Win7 not hang up?

Attached: Z3ebYUtePbA.jpg (1280x960, 174K)

Well actually, I don't care about vulkan or games, I have windows on my desktop for that. But Ive heard these quadro drivers switches between dedicated and integrated for better battery live or some shit, and I kinda not trust linux support. The only thing I need the gpu is to move photoshop / illustrator propertly through wine, and that the desktop don't crash or have weird problems.

by not using winshit

I seem to remember reading about this somewhere but I can't find it in the usual places, how do I route the output of my music player to something like TeamSpeak with PulseAudio?

I'd imagine serving the text files over https being much simpler than having to take over the server.

Why does noone ever bother to make uninstall scripts for their software?

$ make uninstall
Eror!! u suck!