Friendly *bsd thread /fbt/

Welcome to the friendly *bsd thread, discuss your favorite *bsd and help newbies with getting startet and finding their home in your favorite UNIX!

Have an old Thinkpad? Run OpenBSD on it!

Attached: 0xb16b00b5.png (722x548, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html
ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/6.2/common/009_meltdown.patch.sig
freebsd.org/security/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-18:03.speculative_execution.asc
dragonflybsd.org/presentations/USENIX2005_BOF/dfly_usenix2005_bof.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonFly_BSD#Application_snapshots
mrsatterly.com/openbsd_games.html
trueos.org/rulesofconduct/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

BSD isn't UNIX.

Will it run ok in my x240?

its UNIX like!

Are you ok Sup Forumsnon kun?

it will, no problem. Remeber that you have to load firmware for intel wifi cards after the installation due to licensing issues with fw_update iwn

It's UNIX. Men in suits don't allow you to call it that though.

Only in marketing terms. Linux is UNIX like.

why wouldn"t I be?

Ok. Which one is the most dumbproof? I was getting tired of my current distro. Will install this weekend.

why should i use *bsd over linux if i am
>ordinary user
>developer
>sysadmin
>laptop user
>other use cases other than servers?

can you use a python distro such as anaconda on openbsd?
or are you going to tell me to write everything in C

I want to run a BSD on my laptop, but my Atheros 9377 wifi driver is unsupported. :( I'm not willing to sacrifice a port for a USB dongle for it either.

sure, you can use python on *bsd

try gnu/linux, friend

depends on your choice of *bsd but generally:
>BSDs are lighter
>defaults are saner
>there is often less possibility of fucking things up in BSDs
>better integration between kernel, deamons and userland
>greater focus on portability

for beginners I would recommend truOS or DragonflyBSD

truOS is based around a KDE-fork with emphasis on user-friendlyness and Dragonfly is inspired by AmigaOS if thats your speed.

have you tried freeBSD or truOS? those often have better support for hardware than openBSD. Don't get me wrong, openBSD is GOAT on laptops, if your hardware is supported, but freeBSD is simply the larger project

>Dragonfly is inspired by AmigaOS if thats your speed.
No. It's by a former developer who used to work on AmigaOS also.
It has no real ties to AmigaOS in sense of how things work or any philosophies.

oh, seems I had a terrible misunderstandig about that, then. Thanks! But Dragonfly is still a very good user-friendly BSD

reported for rule violation this is a blue board you anus

That's great and all but
>Spectre and Meltdown still aren't patched
>there's even less hardware compatibility
>freeBSD is taken over by SJW cucks

I've tried GhostBSD on all of my computers and none of them are supported; booting into multuser mode gives a kernel panic.

Linux is a kernel.

"I need oxygen!"
>Actually, straight oxygen will kill you; what you need is a mixture of gases that include nitrogen and argon

The above is literally you right now. How does it feel to be such a sperg-lord?

>less hardware compability
compatible hardware isn't that hard to come by but if it cannot be run on your pc I understand that you will use something that does, like GNU
>freeBSDs CoC
yes, that is shit. Don't use freeBSD then or don't participate in its community.

>spectre and meltdown patches
sure, but on openBSD there are currently no ways to exploit said vulns over the net, also next release is in may. *BSDs often simply have a different way of doing things and thats ok.

Listen: I would love to convince you to try, only TRY a BSD for yourself, but I understand if you don't want to because something else works better for you.

but that's correct! most of the air is nitrogen, oxygen is only about a third of the gasses you breath in.
why do you mention argon tho? It's only about 2% and doesn't interact with anything

>only TRY a BSD for yourself
I've tried a few of them on all of my machines ( I have 6, all with different hardware). None of them have worked for me.

I really liked GhostBSD and try it again every so often, but it just doesn't work on my machine right now.

You seem like a cool person, so I'm going to be straight with you; the only thing truly keeping me from BSD is the hardware limitations. Once it works on one of my machines, I'll install it and use it.

It takes like two minutes and $5 to install a supported NIC in any decent laptop

>nice persons on MY 4chinz?
hey you seem all right as well, user.
I was in the same boat as you, *BSDs always intrigued me but I had a hard time getting them to work, now I am on open since 2009 and very happy with it

>It's UNIX.
It's really, really not UNIX(R)*.

Tracing the code, here's what happened:
Bell Labs made Seventh Edition UNIX.
1-4.4BSD were based on Seventh Edition UNIX.
BSDi got the BSD code via the University of California, Berkeley (UCB).
USL ("UNIX System Laboratories"), an AT&T subsidiary that inherited the Bell Labs code, and BSDi got into a lawsuit over the UNIX copyright and trademark. BSDi was aggressively advertising the UNIX-ness of BSD, including the number 1-800-ITS-UNIX.
The lawsuit was settled and 3 files had to be removed plus 70 had to include an USL copyright notice.
Of those 70, nothing is left in modern-day FreeBSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD.
Therefore, the BSDs don't contain any UNIX code.

(Side note: The assets from USL that got bought by Novell were meant to be sold to SCO, but the deal never actually got performed, see the jury verdict of SCO v. Novell. This makes the infamous Caldera license for Ancient UNIX V1-V7 invalid and also breaks the Alcatel license for Research UNIX V8-V10 because they incorporate parts of Ancient UNIX.)

Tracing the trademark, here's what happened:
Bell Labs started with an unregistered word trademark on UNIX.
USL inherited the copyright to the UNIX code and the UNIX trademark from Bell Labs.
USL was sold to Novell and its assets transferred into Novell.
Novell transferred the trademark to The Open Group.
The Open Group runs a certification system to allow software to call itself UNIX.
No BSD has been UNIX certified.

BSD is therefore not UNIX in any way, neither by heritage, nor by trademark.

Trademark attribution:
* UNIX(R) is a registered trademark by The Open Group.
The trademark on BSD, previously owned by Windriver, has expired a few years ago.

>do not even bother reporting this
Nice boobies tho

friendly reminder that only faggots, trannies, and other lgbtxyzbbq degenerates use FreeBSD these days.

Attached: fagbsd.png (1000x667, 113K)

fantastic OP

Can you install OpenBSD on a specific partition like /dev/sda2?

RTFM
openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html

no TRIM

not really a problem, modern SSDs are very smart, youll probably replace SSD sooner than you can write it to death, you can always leave extra overprovisioning in terms of unallocated space also

No, both OpenBSD and FreeBSD recently got patched.
ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/6.2/common/009_meltdown.patch.sig
freebsd.org/security/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-18:03.speculative_execution.asc

Attached: 1521271555991.png (722x702, 38K)

Problem solved, image is worksafe.

>It has no real ties to AmigaOS in sense of how things work or any philosophies.
This is not accurate.
There's more than one design detail that's inspired on AmigaOS.
An example is the IPC system, which is inspired in AmigaOS "ports" IPC. Slide 4.
dragonflybsd.org/presentations/USENIX2005_BOF/dfly_usenix2005_bof.pdf
Another example is application snapshots, inspired on AmigaOS's resident binaries.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonFly_BSD#Application_snapshots

Attached: 1499588399117.png (1870x1049, 2.52M)

openbsd fixed meltdown 11 years ago

Post your desktops pls

Gaming much? Or emulation fun of the other kind?
mrsatterly.com/openbsd_games.html

Attached: 1504929894031.png (668x416, 27K)

Why openBSD is GOAT?

Thanks, Jew-kun! :^)

I want to try a BSD.
Should I avoid FreeBSD because of CoC drama?
Is there any guide on the available BSDs?

Does trueos have to keep the FreeBSD CoC? Or is it safe?

Gotta say, that's nice.

share that program pls

It has its own rules of conduct.
trueos.org/rulesofconduct/

GhostBSD

>No BSD has been UNIX certified.

Half true. The FreeBSD userland has been certified UNIX.

>faggots, trannies, and other lgbtxyzbbq degenerates use FreeBSD these days.
That's not acurate. Many more people and buisnesses use FreeBSD. Blame the CoC on the core team.

Then all including developers, users and even corporate types are to blame too for this CoC fuckup.

>Should I avoid FreeBSD because of CoC drama?
Yes, FreeBSD is DEPRECATED, use OpenBSD.

>use OpenBSD
I'm almost done downloading NetBSD.
Is that an ok choice or should I abort

Haven't tried it myself. I guess it's a good learning experience, just as distrohopping you end up finding one you like more. I tried OpenBSD in VirtualBox and it was really snappy.

Sure
If you don't mind 2 hours of battery life, your CPU running at a steady 100%, no 3D acceleration, no TRIM for your SSD and the most modern DE available being KDE4.

How does your post justify in anyway reducing the life of what should be a ~10 year component to ~5 years?

You can use XFCE

>xfeces

Attached: 1520441422553.gif (800x800, 178K)