Riot chat client

What is your experience with Riot? Is it worth switching to it? Currently using Discord

Attached: images.duckduckgo.com.png (212x178, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/vector-im/riot-web
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-matrix-synapse-on-ubuntu-16-04
riot.im/privacy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Riot chat
>Decentralised, encrypted chat & collaboration
Is it open source? No
Can I run my own servers? No
Is it decentralized? It uses a god damn website, no.

Thus, its a scam trying to disguise itself as what Tox was trying and failed to be.

>Is it open source? No
>Can I run my own servers? No
Fake news

Literally all of that is wrong.

prove it, faggot

>is it open source?
yes
github.com/vector-im/riot-web
>can you run your own servers?
yes
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-matrix-synapse-on-ubuntu-16-04

Attached: wendys.jpg (736x770, 51K)

and yes op Riot is way better than Discord.
is discord botnet? yes
is riot and matrix botnet? no

I run my own Matrix homeserver and use the Riot Android client (native, not JS) from F-Droid.

Okay so after looking over everything, its just basically an IM server that has the option of encrypting messages.

Is this a wrong definition?

If true, why the fuck should I bother? I can do the same thing with telegram, wire, signal, yo mama local backpage chat app, ect.

easy to run your own server, open source protocol. and yeah it's a messaging app like signal or telegram but those apps could be botnetted.

Wire is open source, end to end, and allows for calls and is waaaay easier to use.

Why shouldnt I use wire instead?

riot can do voice and vid calls too

>Telegram
Proprietary server code, even thought the protocol itself is open (for how long though?).

>Signal
>Wire
"apps" owned by companies, that isn't a problem except there's no way they can make money and so they will inevitably be bought by Facebook.

Matrix is the only truly open protocol, too bad the name sucks.

Tried to get my friends to use it when I was desperately trying to get away from discord. It's got feature parity with discord but the UI for them was pretty bad. I was willing to put up with it if it meant getting away from dickshit, but they weren't. Shit like being unable to see who was in voice chat within a chat, and who was joining or leaving, was the biggest dealbreaker. I'm hoping within a year or two when it's polished up a little nicer it'll be a valid option to move to.

I appreciated that I could use the android version without having gapps. That's already a win in my book compared to discord.

(You)
Retard.

Attached: 1516338805190.jpg (241x209, 10K)

It actually works. The UX is the worst part, and it's not that bad 2bh

Also, video calls are not encrypted yet.

All you fags aren't appreciating the protocol, it literally has the potential to become the standard for all IMs. Think eMail

why don't they market it better

Tox still exists and still advances.
Toxcore 0.2 was released recently, and an upgraded qtox using also was.
They might be moving at a snail pace, but they're far from dead.
And... it is pure p2p. Distributed (not just federated) and end-to-end encrypted by design (contact addresses = contact pubkeys, all sessions encrypted by unique session keys for full forward secrecy)
Tox's still the best.

Attached: 1516371145212.png (1920x1080, 2.67M)

>is riot and matrix botnet? no
Matrix is not botnet but Riot is riot.im/privacy

i think that's the privacy policy of the website not the application

>i think
Try actually reading it

Attached: 1517307133274.jpg (260x334, 28K)