IT'S FUCKING HAPPENING

>Windows 10 adds support for HEIF (which halves size compared to JPG)

cnet.com/news/windows-supports-heif-space-squeezing-photo-format/

>post yfw JPG finally fucking dies

Attached: 1521140816348.png (248x317, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

webtalentmarketing.com/blog/future-image-compression/
research.mozilla.org/2013/10/17/studying-lossy-image-compression-efficiency/
research.mozilla.org/2014/07/15/mozilla-advances-jpeg-encoding-with-mozjpeg-2-0/
cnet.com/google-amp/news/apple-ios-macos-tests-googles-webp-graphics-to-speed-up-web/
businesswire.com/news/home/20170822005391/en/500px-Supports-Searchable-Wide-Gamut-Images-Google’s-WebP
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Oh look, it's yet another "'This will be the end of JPEG' says increasingly nervous man for seventh time this week" thread.

webtalentmarketing.com/blog/future-image-compression/

>HEIF isn't a slam dunk, though. It's burdened by complex requirements for patent royalty payments.

kill it with fire

Attached: DYeZjujVwAAstF0.jpg large.jpg (493x767, 92K)

I don't care. I have a LOT of images and thats only 10 GB. Better invent some magical video compression, so it can half the 10 TB of movies I have. It will save a lot of hard drive investments.

>HDDs get larger and cheaper
>SSDs get larger and cheaper
>flash storage in general gets larger and cheaper
>for whatever reason some retard thinks reducing image size by 20 kB is worth the effort
>Microsoft adds support to the new file format to its image browser nobody uses
>every device on earth still defaults to saving in JPEG
>new format used by staggering 0.5% of the population
>new format joins the annals of failed image formats alongside the likes of JPEG2000

I guess so. If you could compress videos by another 20 %, it would transition within two years, HEVC came up pretty quick, probably because it is necessary for 4K BluRays.

wahn.
doo.
doo an HEIF.

iOS is HEIF by default when your phone supports it. That's a lot of normies using this format.
Also a reminder that Windows 10 already supports MKV, GIF, and FLAC natively. I really dig not having to install 3rd party software for any of this shit

>go to website
>open images on website in new tab
>all .jpg

Attached: 1510074037281.jpg (1024x936, 518K)

>iOS is HEIF by default when your phone supports it. That's a lot of normies using this format.
Apple was .ogg by default and yet mp3 is still the most used audio format, but who knows

I unironically use FLAC and OGG on my MP3 player

Oh, look: another jpeg 2000.

Attached: 1521038323854.jpg (175x231, 15K)

Fantastic, I'm sure hard-drives and solid state drives crammed up to their asses in JPEGs was a urgent matter that plagues everyone.

Isnt there a push for hevc to be phased out to av1?

Its important for microsoft to save your jpg’s and screenshots of your OS use to their servers in a format that saves space.

Think about it. Its the only good reason.

That actually makes sense.

The question with image compression on modern devices should be about quality. Lossless jpgs tend to be huge and dropping the quality makes them look like shit, so a replacement format doesn't have to be smaller, but should look better at the same file size.

>The two main filename extensions are .heif or .heic, along with a less common .avci that is typically used for H.264/AVC encoded files.
>HEIF itself is a container, and when containing images and image sequences encoded in a particular format (e.g., HEVC or H.264/AVC), its use becomes subject to the licensing of patents on the coding format.
Why are they pushing this clusterfuck. Why not webp.

>muh webp
You Google shills are getting slower, took you 18 posts to react to this thread.
Answering your question, because webp is not better than jpeg.
research.mozilla.org/2013/10/17/studying-lossy-image-compression-efficiency/
research.mozilla.org/2014/07/15/mozilla-advances-jpeg-encoding-with-mozjpeg-2-0/

It's better than jpg because it supports transparency and animations. Who gives a shit about compression.

Still waiting for webm on retard ios without a fucking app.

>what is AV1

>another fucking format with royalties
Yep, just what we needed.

>bloat

DOA POS

Still waiting for vp9 on this trash website. The 3MB limit for webms is absolute cancer, even 4MB would be fantastic and allow more HD content.

>The companies behind HEVC (also called H.265)couldn't agree on how to charge for patent licensing, so they split up into three separate groups, and anyone using HEVC has to pay each of them. Oh, and probably pay a lot of lawyers to read all the fine print.
Jesus christ

its actually because ios users couldn't view their photos in windows but ok

Just call it JPG2, everyone and their mother will use it

what about WebP?

Look at Sup Forums thumbnails and tell me transparency is bloat.

hmmm, i think it's worthwhile to rent an encoding server rather than encode on your own machine judging by the size of your library of movies. when av1 comes out you can start crunching your movies.

vaporware

>most browsers still don't even handle webp
>most file managers and image viewers can't even draw animated gifs
>there's still people using .tif
>some literally fucking who file format only people running 1 OS can see will be successful

These statements do not match

>it's fucking patent-burdened too, being neither libre nor gratis

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha what an utter embarassment

Videos are a different story. Nobody will notice the difference between a 250KB jpg and a 150KB webp even though there's a 40% reduction in size. For a movie going from 2.5GB to 2GB has a lot more meaning even though the size ratio is a lot lower. HEVC actually gained some traction for that reason while JPG competition has fallen to the wayside.

>most file managers and image viewers can't even draw animated gifs
Um, what? Only the shittiest, most incompetent image viewers can't animate gifs, and you shouldn't be using them anyway. The large majority can and does.

no it won't because all those jpegs floating around will remain jpegs

what happened to bpg

It's too late Webp has already won. It costs $0 for websites to use. ebay and facebook already use it

Attached: 1469309230745.png (1011x3032, 2.05M)

webp has like 80% browser support at this point

Attached: Comb18032018112421.jpg (1000x954, 97K)

safari already jumping onboard

cnet.com/google-amp/news/apple-ios-macos-tests-googles-webp-graphics-to-speed-up-web/

500px now actively using webp

businesswire.com/news/home/20170822005391/en/500px-Supports-Searchable-Wide-Gamut-Images-Google’s-WebP

>png 508 kB
Unoptimized.