>2018
>Using anything but FLAC

>hard drive space is cheap
>flash memory gets cheaper and cheaper
>CD quality bitrate is 1411.2 kbit/s or 176.4 kB/s, which pretty much any internet connection can handle nowadays, even in the US
I think the only limiting factor would be mobile, because of data caps. Fuck data caps, without them there would be no reason not to stream in FLAC.

Attached: cd-mastering.jpg (3435x3314, 2.16M)

Other urls found in this thread:

listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm
noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>caring about quality

flac is bloat

flac is a meme

>tfw maximum laptop hard drive size is 2TB
>my ripped CD collection in OPUS 128 kb/s is 386GB
>my ripped CD collection in FLAC is 2.3TB

shiggy diggy

my ears cant tell the difference

you can't distinguish flac from 192kbps AAC, audiophools are cancer

>Flac
>streaming

ALAC is the next step nigga

>128kbps
hwat
Try 320 or better yet, amp it to 400/500 for "flac-like" quality

>not having a NAS or server
you probably don't even have this backed up

You absolute meme. How much of a good riddance are you. Try inverting the waveforms over one another, and you can hear the difference for itself

Do you faggots really think you should be telling people what codecs to use? You obviously need better quality ears if you can't tell the difference.
And I'm not even mentioning the issue of rotational velocidensity.

>appleshit
The only advantage of iTunes is that they offer lossless quality unlike Amazon or Jewgle Play, which scam you by charging CD prices for 320kbps mp3s.

nothing like depending on wi-fi to play my music when I'm on the go!

it's transparent to me in double-blind ABX at 128

the data isn't the same != you can hear the difference.

It's impossible to tell the difference between 320kbps mp3 and lossless.

Opus is the latest meme codec like ogg and AAC which promise 320kbps mp3 quality at lower bitrates. The reality is nothing except mp3 will ever be adopted en masse.

Opus seems to be the format for the web. Google uses it for YouTube. Many others are adopting it.

Though every video I've ever seen encoded on trackers has been using AAC. Not a single Opus encode.

i can play it on my pcs, on my phone, and on my rockbox'd clip+

where the fuck else would I need it to work?

I pulled a blind test on myself with some of my favorite songs of all time and I still couldn't tell the difference between flac and based mp3 v0.

>2018
>using anything but youtube

You ears can only hear 24 fps, prove me wrong

Attached: 1489624310302.jpg (1200x675, 152K)

There's no such thing as fraps per second with sound

MOMMY MILKIES

Attached: gibe.jpg (800x546, 52K)

FLAC is the same data you find in lossy formats, with added stuff that humans can't normally hear, like ghosts.

The sampling rate is effectively the framerate for digital music, but yeah for analog music it's basically a constant vibration.

It's almost like the person was joking...

rip to flac
encode down for devices

why is this hard to understand?

also, testing songs from bands/genres is necessary because some genres compress like shit, anyone have a link to the anime music where the compressed version, even in high quality was knight and day?

you may not like the music, god knows I didn't, but it shows an example that even shit setups and shit ears can hear the difference.

the difference being there at all is an issue. I keep my favorite shit in flac even on the go, but everything that is flavor of the month for me gets encoded down to whatever my player at the time likes most, my car use to have a cd mp3 compatibility, so that was the go to for years for me.

Don't forget there are people here who legitimately believe that you can't tell the difference between 60fps and 120fps. i don't trust anyone on Sup Forums that says "humans can't tell the difference between X and Y."

my anime is 23.976 fps and it seems good enough

Who fucking cares? Jerk your epeen to flac as much as you want but flac will never been adopted as the standard

>flac will never been adopted as the standard

>been available on bandcamp for years
>tidal uses it
>native win 10 support
>apple has finally added support
you sure about that?

>nobody uses it
You missed that one.

Not him, but I've used flac just fine for well over a decade.

>one person uses it
>then it must mean everyone else uses it.

Enough people use it for it to have widespread support on a variety of devices.

256kbps AAC is enough

>using anything other than DSD

Attached: 1507376911743.png (1000x1000, 613K)

spooky

>DSD
Now this is the ultimate meme.

Is opus actually as good as the memes? I might try transcoding my flac files into that when I sync my phone with my library

>mp3
There's your problem
Try aac and you'd be mostly correct

Works for me. I have everything transcoded at 128kbps, but theoretically you can go even lower.

>Hard drive space is cheap
That is why I have FLAC and MP3 on my computer. I only listen to the MP3, FLAC is just for backup or when vorbis/opus start having more support.

Why not listen to your flac directly?

Anything below 96 is sheer pain on any format, even on something as mundane as car stereo audio. Unless you have a cheap ass $10 pair of Sonys

>Enough people
Not enough to be considered a majority.

aac only goes up to 256kbps though

Opus is an exception. It scores 4.5 out of 5.0 at 96kbps on average.

listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm

>2012+6
>listening to music

>not having all your albums in FLAC for archiving when a superior format releases and V0 / 320 for listening.
>streaming

I'm 35 and can't hear shit above 15 KHz so flac or 320kbps don't really do any difference for me.

do the test anons:

noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

>he live in a 3rd world country where data caps are a thing
my sides you filthy peasant, my sides.

Attached: 1267565397721.jpg (550x669, 81K)

This

You mean like Vorbis. Ogg is a container that's used for both Opus and Vorbis

>Why don't you use FLAC?
Because I stream my music. Having to download go out of your way to download songs is for faggots with no lives

I can hear above 15khz but only if I turn up my headphones volume above my normal sound levels.

that's not how lossless works. Compression reduces general quality of audio, not just frequency range

FLAC is designed to be an archive/playback format, I don't think it's actually designed for streaming. It may work but I bet there are other lossless codecs better suited to it.

I have FLAC for my home systems, and OGG Vorbis on my phone due to space limitations.

>being reliant on a third party service to listen to your music

s/FLAC/WAV/g

>b-b-but you can't hear the difference between FLAC and WAV
Nigga.....

How do brainlets like this even get on Sup Forums?

May be breaking news to you but there are actually normal people who aren't 40 year old virgins browsing this board. Not everyone are willing to devote their life to avoid THE BOTNET at all costs. Yes you can take steps towards avoiding it but there goes a line.

inb4
>MUH FREEDOM
>NEWFAG

Normalfags aren't welcome here. Go back.

>yes goy just fill up that hard drive, you can always buy more

Attached: 1500500228459.jpg (810x571, 125K)

>hard drive space is cheap
Price of storage haven't really changed the last 10 years. It is faster, sure, but price / GB have barely changed.
320kbit is fine for people who don't want to spend a lot of space on their music collection.

Cant hear difference between 320 and flac anyways so

Attached: c9bcda21.jpg (800x655, 29K)

No

I love to have it all in FLAC.
However my collection predates FLAC so if you want to dump me shit loads of FLAC if i request them even from obscure TV shows and/or one of the most obscure to get materials to get imaginable that are only partially available as VHS home recordings.

I love to switch complacently.

Why would you even come here? You don't lime technology and you're not a social outcast. We offer nothing for you.

Music isn't produced in flac.

>b-b-but you can't hear the difference between FLAC and WAV
Do you know what lossless compression means? Saying FLAC is inferior to WAV is like saying 7z or RAR is inferior to the original file. The main advantage for keeping source files in WAV is it's easier to edit.

>he live in a 3rd world country where data caps are a thing

>He is to retarded to actually use a solution and simply transfer his files to the computer he is using to play his music.

Jesus christ Amerimutts are the true untermenschen.

Attached: 1520089164925.jpg (1200x1200, 217K)

Let's say the average song is about 5 minutes and 1000kbps. That means your average filesize is about 36.6 MB. If you have a 2 TB HDD for music backups that's roughly 57266 songs. If you use 320kbps mp3s that's roughly 178956 songs. So yeah, worrying about file sizes is mostly irrelevant unless you're talking about mobile or streaming.

Attached: 1475640197826.png (3388x3638, 280K)

I'd love to see you try to get 8TB of storage for under $200 in 2008.

This

Ogg FLAC should work for streaming if bandwidth is enough.

Attached: danger dog.jpg (1024x920, 123K)

But I can barely hear the difference between 320kbps mp3s and FLAC and that small difference isn't really worth it for me to bloat my collection for.

You should try Opus 96kbps, then.

>uses 320kbps MP3 but complains about bloat
>using mp3 at all in 2018 when there are several superior lossy formats

>being so poor you can't afford cellular data
>not understanding the concept of caching
Thanks for confirming you're tech illiterate.

Absolutely everything plays mp3s, can't be said about any better format.

based VBR -v0

>what is AAC

What shit device do you use that doesn't support aac?