Are you free Sup Forums?

Attached: libreboot.jpg (718x479, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/faq.html#intel
youtube.com/watch?v=vgyosV98dL8&t=50s
gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-even-more-important.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Of course

Attached: Aesthetic_Librebooted_X200.jpg (2136x1424, 1.92M)

I have coreboot on my x220 so I'm 99.9% free

what are pros and cons of coreboot on x220? mostly what are the potential cons like performance wise, functionality etc. I want to do it but I want to know what I might be sacrificing

Everything works except that I can't see the grub menu, It's probably fixable but I don't care much anyways.

You can put your grub config onto coreboot, and you can put almost any WiFi card that fits.

Only through death do you become free

nobody has ever articulated why 'nonfree' bios is a problem

libreboot.org/faq.html#intel

Indeed I am, using a modern RISC based system.

Attached: 0cb8e8b9abd814a625a3ab6efe4d442dfaccf49e_hq.gif (540x402, 124K)

wrong, you are always a prisoner of your beliefs

>libreboot.org/faq.html#intel
that doesn't answer the question at all.

Yeah, I don't use shitty laptops

pointless autism, only pedos use that shit

i'm free for lunch. wanna get something user?

Yessir

Attached: 20171123_092005.jpg (1500x2666, 206K)

Ok desu...

Pros:
>Faster boot
>more freedom
>No whitelist
>Can use faster ram
>Goes well with programming socks
>Disabled windows ME
Cons:
>Compiling the coreboot.rom takes a while.
>is more sensitive to differing ram sticks then the stock bios.

It may have some more cons or pros depending on payload. If you use grub instead of seabios it won't run windows.

Good luck desu :DDD

youtube.com/watch?v=vgyosV98dL8&t=50s

Attached: NOZ.jpg (1024x576, 184K)

*intel me. You have to use ME cleaner.

I don't know if you can still use windows after ME cleaner, can anyone confirm. My seabios with ME cleaned roms worked, but wouldn't dual boot winshit.

It normally should boot 7.

gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-even-more-important.html
I do feel BIOS is way more about trust than it is about "freedom". Our keyboards also have firmware, but no one has interest in modifying them because they just work and serve their purpose. However, people would appreciate having free software in it to make sure is isn't malware.

Thinkpads commonly have hardware whitelists.

T43 had a fucking hardware whitelist.

Woah man, a simple 'kys' would have sufficed

>Oh billy boy, your cock is so big.
>Oh you want to do anal...
>Give me a second to douche...
>Are you sure its fine Mr. Gates
>Oh Fuck me Mr. Gates. Oh force update my ass.
>Oh you have a friend. Aggregate and anonymize my ass and sell it to third parties.
>Wait you want to switch with steve.
>Yes thank you for spit roasting me. I can feel all the .net framework inside of me.
>Oh god I can feel the synergy with Microsoft services.
>Candy crush MY face and ass, I don't care that your dick is dirty.

Why you people act so retarded for nothing? Get a life

>animu
how do you live among other people?

>Oh, Mr. Gates thanks for the new chastity cage.
>I know it doesn't match the older windows forms, and it was made by underpaid indians
>But, its glossy look is so nice
>Oh you and steve want to hit my balls as a service. This is so much better then when you did it on a platform.
>Thanks for the free cock cage update. Oh man it even ships with Xcock live.

Libreboot - shit for few old laptops (T60 and other shit)
Coreboot - cool (support till w530)

why_boner.jpg

Windows works fine without the ME. Coreboot is compiled with the device's proper VGA BIOS (Proprietary) to allow Windows to actually display graphics.

Aye, it's true that a lot of devices on your computer still contain and use proprietary controllers and software. However, these are generally auctioned off from the main device itself and simply supply I/O to the motherboard.

Libreboot - As close to freedom as you can get on x86_64 hardware
Coreboot - proprietary shitware, barely better than the original BIOS

>this logo is euphemism for homosexuality

Attached: snapshot_19.09_[2016.12.23_03.30.29].png (1920x1080, 2.64M)

cute but why the profanity

I guess that makes since. I did extract the vga bios as well. Its been a while, since I did this.

Maybe I just fucked up that step. I needed windows in a bit of a time crunch. So, I ended up just using one of the computers at my uni, then lost interest.

Why not? Here's my second Librebooted device.

Probably related. You should recompile anew with the latest coreboot and give it another try,

Attached: Aesthetic_Librebooted_W500.jpg (2136x1424, 1.84M)

Ehh, maybe later.

The problem is my x220 is my main system, so I can't really fuck with it too much.

I should pick up a t420 :c

>says increasingly nervous man for 10th time in a day on an anime website

Attached: 1409948438384.png (714x548, 693K)

>libreboot
>core 2 duo from 90's
kekus maximus

Attached: 0e9.jpg (600x600, 27K)

core 2 duos from the 90s.

Are you retarded.

You should grab a T400 instead. It's cheaper, and you can have a legitimate freedom machine with Libreboot!

Sorry Sup Forums, I don't play video games so I don't need a newer system.

Attached: 13167338_1724321267838114_1219640100_n.jpg (480x480, 57K)

Freedom is nice, but I'd have to core 2 quad mod it.

I don't play video games, but sandy-bridge chips are alot better then core 2 duos for video editing.

>tfw no animupad

Deffo considering the quad mod in my W500. That bigger heatsink is a dream, the damn thing idles at 30C...

No money right now though, plus it's a fucking bitch to take that motherfucker apart.

Oh god please no. Spare me with those headache inducing asymetrical bezels

I have a q9000 laying around :D

It was $20 from chink land

X200 then? The different sized bezels don7t really make any difference in actual use.

I know you can get some of them for rather cheap, the ones with the lower clock speeds. I'd rather go for the lower ones anyway, as paying out the asshole for 1% performance improvement is not worth it to me...

I currently use a T9600 in my W500 I got for $12, friend of mine paid like $80 for a T9900... Sucker.

>barely better
You remove all Lenovo blobs from the main CPU and are left only with the Intel FSP, used for hardware bringup. This plus a neutralized ME gets you a long way.

>Still requires blobs of proprietary software to function

Attached: 1460213862186.jpg (500x375, 56K)

>only caring about the main CPU
>not the EC or multiple other microcontrollers

My t400 is librebooted and even has a wifi card that's supported by the kernel but im using my t420 right now. I would switch back to t400 if I could get a better processor than t9600 but that's not supported on a hardware level. I know because I was the first person to try to install a core 2 quad on the t400 and at the end I had to notify the libreboot mailing list to update their page about the quad core support. Funnily enough guys over at 51n and thinkpad forums has managed to mod the pins and the power delivery on the t61 to support faster RAM and quad core CPUs but im not gonna do that to my beloved t400 even if it was possible.

Also if I wasnt running sourcemage and didnt need all that processing power from the t420 I would switch to a librebooted x60/61 because I acually know a guy who managed to change the CPU by reballing it on his lab. It would be super cool to have x61 with a free BIOS because I hate 16:9.

>moving the goalpost

Quad core works on the T400/T500/W500, it just requires a hardware modification.

It'll also run probably way too hot on a T400, though.

Attached: 1471803767869.jpg (3264x1836, 1.51M)

Yeah, free to use whatever OS i want instead of "muh loonix"

congrats on flagging yourselves for us, tards

t. cia

Why not just get a Chromebook?

I've been using a librebooted Thinkpad x200 with Debian as a daily driver for 2 years now in university. (CS)
It's rock stable, does everything I want/need it to do. Plus I changed the display panel for a Boe Hydis IPS screen.
As wifi card, I use the AR5BXB112 with full ath9k kernel support, which, AFAIK, is the fastest 5 GHz (802.11n) card you can get for ath9k.

Well I could actually switch back to my t400 in the near future since I have just moved in to a new place and I haven't set up my desktop and homeserver yet. Once I do those im planning on setting up distcc on all machines to offload my laptops compiling queue to other machines using distributed casting. Pretty cool feature for a small distro like source mage if you ask me, I know other distros can have similar setups but I don't think they do it on a package manager level, only independent make's.

can it do everything that bios can ?

>Plus I changed the display panel for a Boe Hydis IPS screen.
That sounds pretty nice user, what resolution are you getting?