going to install debian along with windows 10,wish me luck
tips and recommendations are welcome

inb4
>just linux
i need compatibility
>just windows
dev on windows is annoying
>WSL/VM
i want to use a simple GUI,which performance is dogshit in VM,and WSL does not even support X window system
>memes

Attached: debian_logo.jpg (300x300, 19K)

Install Gentoo

go and shitpost there

why debian?

why not?
>lots of packages
>testing/unstable is actually stable and up to date
>large community
>tech giants are using it(google use debian testing to replace ubuntu on their workstations)

backup your shit first

thanks for the very first actual tip

mbr or uefi?

uefi
its not a thinkpad from 1998

Don't forget to actually activate contrib and non-free if you want to use wifi (and using a non-compatible network card)

i just tried installing debian 9 on my laptop. good luck getting wifi working. reinstalling mint now

thanks
you use non free iso or not?

I installed Debian 9 on my Thinkpad and used the nonfree ISO. Everything worked perfectly. I even used the Cinnamon DE which Mint uses.

yes. lenovo g550

onboard doesnt work, alfa and atheros usb wifi detected but dont connect to wifi. authetication failure. tried connecting to some free wifi and my phone hot spot so i know its not my network. i don't really have time to ask it why it doesn't want to work and feed it eggs. ashame really because i dig debian and use it on my home pc

well... i have to rethink about it since i am going to install it on a laptop
its shipped with atheros btw

Will this be your first distro?

not really
used ubuntu and opensuse before

Why winblowz?
Because OP is a contrarian.

6.02*10^-23 bing points have been deposited to your microsoft account

user u can use x guis on WSL, u just send it to a Windows x server, just Google it you'll find guides

Attached: JPEG_20180317_154206.jpg (3264x4352, 1.11M)

WSL have shit performance though

install windows before debian, it's much easier that way because windows doesn't respect the way debian works with partitions and GRUB but debian respects windows in those respects(More like doesnt-do-shit-you-dont-tell-it-to, but ye)

Then why not use something like gentoo? I went straight to gentoo after using Ubuntu for a couple of years.

thanks
windows comes preinstalled on that machine(a laptop)

2 lazy 4 manual install
debian have a graphical installer

When the installer asks which desktop environment you want, remember that GNOME is GNOME, and Debian desktop is also GNOME.

The pros of Gentoo hardly outweigh the cons compared to Debian. They are both good but Debian is nice for every situation.

i discovered this when i try it in a vm earlier
thanks for the tip

IMHO Debian testing/sid and XFCE is the best combination. Good luck.

ty
also how do i check if the hardware is supported by debian?

>Then why not use something like gentoo?
Because it's a meme for retards. Only 3 GNU/Linux distros matter and Gentoo isn't one of them.

>how do i check if the hardware is supported by debian?
You check if the hardware exists.

Haha really nice one.
Digits never lie.

You know how to partition your disk correctly, right?

ezpz to me

Attached: 1520551323214.png (215x235, 9K)

t. retard that can't install gentoo