/tpg/ - ThinkPad General - pour one out for the poor overcharged bastards in Europe edition

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60; X200, T400/500
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot on T420; Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T/W52/30 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, 64gb of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive. Bad stock cooling reported by multiple owners.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: mi.png (959x630, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/SnMqrjE
discordapp.com/invite/mGWNsaN
ebay.com/itm/OEM-CPU-Cooling-Fan-Heatsink-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-T420S-T420SI-FRU-04W1712/401410043265?epid=1229416266&hash=item5d75e72d81:g:DMMAAOSwuZlZ2zxc
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xt440 touchpad.TRS0&_nkw=t440 touchpad&_sacat=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are modern thinkpads just crapbooks with a thinkpad flavour?

>>Join both chat below, both servers are partnered
>>TPG Sup Forums chat by xsauc: discord.gg/SnMqrjE
>>/r/thinkpad TPG reddit chat by jpsuliz: discordapp.com/invite/mGWNsaN

Anyone have experience with using a laptop cooler when using a dock as well? My X201 gets insane temps even after taking it apart for a clean.

Nah, their still pretty solid.

iirc the problem with dock is blockage of exhaust vent

That's a huge design oversight.

Has anyone gotten 720p or 1080p H.264 playback on a T42, or is this toaster too old? Using Linux, by the way.

Yeah, on windows.

oh wait it's the X201, different design

maybe your dock is blocking some of the air vents below the machine?

if it's that case then I don't think a fan below the docking base would help as the airflow would be blocked still

Anyone here have a 45 W CPU in their T420?

How are thermals? Are you using Windows?

Attached: 1461675714608.png (750x366, 291K)

Just bought a mint looking T420 with an i5 2520M, and two AC adapters. $150 shipped. I got tons of RAM and SSDs at work to throw in.
Will the stock heatsink take a 2760QM?

Anyway, how I do?

I love her.

Attached: IMG_0007.jpg (3264x2448, 1.4M)

You need the two pipe heatsink for T420 (not compatible with T430) fru 04W0407

she's a beaut user

>chiclet keyboard
slut

i love my t430 and there's nothing you can do about it!

Attached: IMG_0140.jpg (2268x3024, 892K)

>Esc and Delete where they should be
>PgUp and PgDn in the most convenient place
>Delightful chiclet tactile feedback
Thanks for reminding me how much I miss my W530 that was left at an airport, never to be seen again.

work gave me a p51s to use. fan goes full hairdryer mode every few minutes while working. lenovo should have made it thicker.

Runs well enough on Artix with tlp configured, I disable 2 cores when im on battery and its usable. As for thermals, it goes up to high 80s under load with all 4 cores on and docked (connected to a 1440p monitor). It runs at housefire temps under windows though.

I want a new laptop since mine is playing up and getting old?
I'm looking in the 300 - 400 price range.
I'm thinking about getting an AMD because I do alot of video streaming/recording?
But I'm also open to iIntel if you guys can suggest a good one?
Any help is appreciated?

Attached: 2E14d_p7HY2JaADA.jpg (600x1067, 43K)

I guess I picked a good 'top

So I finally replace my Macbook Pro Retina with a mattress and a T440p.
The keyboard is nice. Way better than the Macbook Pro one. The clickpad is okeish, I will do the mod son as I can.
The screen sucks. I also will the 1080p mod soon as a I can.
Overall, its a good machine. I can't understand why gets such a bad rap.

>It runs at housefire temps under windows though.
Shame, fucking winblows.

Attached: 1518809774780.jpg (780x879, 585K)

Not really, windows is a piece of shit that I never wanted to run anyway.

has anyone successfully flashed libreboot on an x200t. Im getting mine on Tuesday but im scared ill brick it, seeing all the specific requirements and extra steps

this?
ebay.com/itm/OEM-CPU-Cooling-Fan-Heatsink-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-T420S-T420SI-FRU-04W1712/401410043265?epid=1229416266&hash=item5d75e72d81:g:DMMAAOSwuZlZ2zxc

Yeah, but I wanted to run it.
I'll probably get the i7-3612QM then.

t430 and x220.

Attached: IMG_0141.jpg (4032x3024, 1.72M)

Okay, now show that boi pussy.

So where can I get a replacement touchpad (good touchpad) for my T440? this touchpad is awful

Aliexpress has them.
I want to get the 1080p AUO panel.
Any trusted seller that only sells the real deal?

>(
are they genuine touchpads? or just chink remakes?

i'm not a faggot bro

So my stylus for my X200T broke and I need a new one. I recall someone once talking about a fujitsu replacement stylus over the original one (for reasons I don't recall) with the only downside is it not fitting the slot. Anyone know the model, or a suitable replacement that isn't chinkshit?

Just get em off eBay from a seller with good ratings.

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xt440 touchpad.TRS0&_nkw=t440 touchpad&_sacat=0

that's t420s

That's what I have T420s. sorry

I got a X1 Carbon 2nd gen with 4gb RAM 256GB SSD and the crappy 1600x900 (I think) screen.

What upgrades can I do? Apparently RAM needs new mother board and itd be cheaper to buy another X1 than the motherboard on its own (with 8GB ram)

Will a FHD screen actually be better or still be like htis crap screen I have now with shit contract etc?

Can I upgrade the SSD in this?

And the trackpad? This 2nd gen has no buttons, its really shit.

also new mobo would have i7 (i have i5) atm

Honestly it seems like your best bet is to use a very lightweight distro with a lightweight DE and or WM or buy a new computer.

Attached: 1519786516740.png (1920x1080, 821K)

-s have soldered cpu, you need bga replacement if you wish to upgrade cpu to quad embedded edition (suffix QE)

Buying X61&CFFL to LED off Taobao- Good idea?

iirc some of the ccfl screen for x61 has trouble over time with surface coating breaking since it's actually a tablet one but with the front panel glue taken off in a wrong way

xiph has a writeup about this but I forgot the link

Where can I buy a T420? Every damn T420 I see is an S for like $150, but the real T420 are all $350+

WTF

search in ebay

"t430 - t430s"

don't fall for the x20 meme, you can easily install 7-row on the x30 and have a much better cpu architecture, not to mention the igpu supports DX11 unlike

I want a T420 tho. Not a T420s, or T430.

Similar question actually, I have a t40 and I always thought it was just too slow to play videos. I can't even play 480p videos, do I need a driver or something?

I could buy a second hand X1 with an i7, 8GB ram and 128GB SSD, swap the mobo's and resell the one I put the i5 and 128gb ssd in so that upgrade is only $75.

FHD screen is only $75.

512GB SSD is only $110 and I can put this 256GB SSD on the back of my Z370-i (which just got a samsung 960 evo) as a backup drive.

So in total after paying everyone, 512GB ssd, i7 8GB FHD screen with decent trackpad for only $380.

"t420 -t420s"

what gen?

does it have the driver for whatever gpu it has?

2nd

are you sure about that horrid keyboard/touchbar combo?

I guess it's alright if you don't mind it

Where the hell I find a real AUO 14" panel for the T440p?
It appears that all chink sellers sells "compatible" crap. I want the real deal.

its $30 to change to gen 3 version

what about the screen will FHD actually improve pic or still be shit because of shit backlight?

you can take a look around for the fhd version of the screen to review the color reproduction quality and brightness, not sure about this one

screencountry if you're in the US

or just buy one on ebay and use the buyer protection program + paypal support + bank chargeback combo for "deceptive information"

Is laptopscreens.com legit?
They are selling a wide gamut 40 pin edp screen supposedly compatible with my T440p

Should I just get a t420

Attached: 1497204989864.jpg (378x378, 16K)

best thinkpad

I'd call/email and ask for the exact panel number

If they deny you this information I would just fuck off straight away (including screencountry)

TY m8.

I'm using a t420 right now (with slackware linux) and it's amazing

I removed my screens flex cable and put it back in and now the screen doesnt turn on. its definitely fitted correctly. removed battery and held power, plugged in battery etc and screen doesnt work. I doubt the flex cable broke in the removal and reinstallation of it.

why

thanks i ordered it

now its 100% not turning on.

what a fucking piece of shit i thought these were military grade fucking laptops

I'd double check all connection, probably you did damage something or inserted in a wrong angle

Is the t420 pain in the ass to carry around?
T. Manlet

calling all T430 modders. I want to upgrade this piece of shit panel. Do I just search ebay for a compatible laptop which is busted but with screen intact, or do I search specifically for that exact panel?

i'm 163cm girl (male) have no problem carrying it around. just grab it by the 9 cell battery desu

Got myself a T440P for £150.

Needed a charger and HDD caddy, which cost £12 total.

>250GB SSD
>2.6GHz i5
>8GB RAM

All for £162 total. How did I do?

Attached: 20180316_105312_HDR.jpg (4640x2610, 3.34M)

Is that Solus? Do you have the problem where after the bootloader it hangs? So you have to force a shutdown and then reboot?

Apparently it's a widespread issue.

get a t450 touchpad

Can anyone beat this PassMark score?

Attached: file.png (124x117, 4K)

which cpu?
which thinkpad?
overclocked yay or nay?

its just the backlight. it will turn on now and i can see the screen... just. fuck my life

its definitely seated correctely

i7-8650u
X1C6
Nay, just undervolted and turbo locked.

how much should I be paying for a T60? how about a X60?

Attached: Watanabe.You.full.2055573.jpg (529x736, 210K)

Anyone here have experience with latitudes 7000 series? How are their keyboards? Thinking about getting E7470.

Yeah it is, though I'm considering hopping. I've never had this problem, not on either my T440P or my X220. I must be lucky! Do you get it often?
That's certainly the plan, though I really don't mind having to deal with the current trackpad for now.

What can cause random shut off while idle?

should i just fucking pull the the trigger on a refurbished x230

its ~$200

Only thing is that this bich is thicc

go ahead

Attached: 1503599905501.jpg (900x876, 373K)

I'll admit I'm jealous. Such is the life of a poorfag with a 6 year old thinkpad

More USB 3 ports

Not shit meme keyboard

Much fatster processor and intelaviv graphics

Is it truly that bad user?

Since I've owned an X220 and currently own an X230, you're pretty much right. The old keyboard layout is better, but the new keyboard seems more stable. The real problem with it is that the function keys aren't grouped in four, so they're hard to feel. They fixed that on the next generation, but then got rid of dedicated volume buttons. So... there's no perfect keyboard. You either get

>best layout, loads of flex
>best build quality, shitty layout
>mid tier layout, no volume buttons

what is battery life of the x series just doing email and web browsing?

linux and win

X230 with 9 cell reporting
roughly 6 hours with loonix
7-8 hours windows

I'm looking for a dual band wireless ac card for my x220.

I would prefer WiFi only and not wifi+BLE.

Can /tpg/ help me out?

Over heating (Fan goes off)
Bad power management

Woah. Very decent runtime numbers.

Can you still buy legit 9 cell batteries or just china stock?

I disabled CPU power management yesterday after 3 or 4 shut offs, I only had once after that but it was different (no screen blink like before). And the temperature seems ok all the time. Should I try cleaning the fan?

It shouldn't be a problem as I'm taking a working X61 CFFL and converting it to LED, not the WXGA Upgrade.

>roughly 6 hours with loonix
install tlp

Honestly, I got no idea. I got mine with a legit battery that was in good condition. But as far as I know, the X230 got a whitelist for genuine batteries, so you can't even use non genuine without a modded BIOS

literally never done me any good at all in my life.

>literally never done me any good at all in my life.
That's because you don't just install it, you configure it also. Or at least run powertop and see what could drain your battery.

Posting again since no one replied.
I'm picking up my t420 today fellas, I got a couple of questions.
How do you clean the keyboard? Under the keycaps?
What should I look at for when inspecting it? I haven't paid for it yet.
What kind of battery life should I expect? It has one of those batteries that stick out the back.not sure what it's condition is.also, if battery needs replacement where/what to look for?
I know I can dual boot windows/Linux, which is what I'll be doing, but can I also have macOS on there as well to fuck with my friend who paid $3k for his MacBook ?
The seller didn't specify the screen resolution but I'm hoping it's the 900 one. If not, where would I get a high resolution screen?
I'm planning on adding 4 gigs of RAM for a total of 8 and a 256gb ssd.
Any tips?

>twf yuro
>you will never feel the pleasure of buying a thiccpad at 30 buckerinos

Attached: 095.png (565x640, 292K)

Bad feel

Cheapest not-trashed T420 here is $195
However everything here is more expensive across the board. I ended up buying a very good condition T60 for $65

I'm looking to buy a computer for less than 200 ameribucks. I need it to be not too thicc, no bigger than 15", and I'd prefer no clitmouse but whatever. These are fairly broad requirements I think, so what best fits them?

Just go buy a used consumer grade laptop from 2012-2015 with those specs desu

What I meant by that was, I never managed to ooze more than 20 minutes more battery life out of my machines with tlp. not even with configs other people made specifically for these laptops