Ubuntu has decided it wants to get to know you a little bit better

>Ubuntu has decided it wants to get to know you a little bit better.

>[...] plans to include a data collection tool in the Ubuntu 18.04 installer.

>This feature will compile a stack of salient information about system hardware and then send it back to Canonical.

Even Microsoft doesn't do this kind of shit. GNU/cucks literally use a literal botnet for OS

>inb4 but there are so many distros!

Yeah but which distro does the average Joe use? Funtoo?

I'll keep recommending Macs to non technical people... better stay away from botnets, be it of the Microsoft kind, or of the GNU kind.

Attached: ubuntu-warty-login.jpg (800x600, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/
eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you owe it to Amazon

Attached: jew_basic.jpg (220x220, 19K)

The flaw in your argument is relating "freedumbs" to nubuntu users. These aren't the same people.

Why do you niggerpost?
Why do you reddit space?
Why do you make barely any sense at all?

Are you retarded?

>optionally collects hardware config
>like steam does
>like windows and Mac certainly do

Just opt out by not opting in, homo.

> continuously complain about linux lack of hardware support
>refuse hardware specs data collection

retard.tiff

1. Tou can opt-out, windows doesn't leave you this choice, and yes Microsoft collect hardware data and have been doing so for ages.

2. Every linux distro will eventually benefit from these hardware data surveys, it will eventually allow even better hardware support (which is already far superior to windows')

3. Faggot

>Even Microsoft doesn't do this kind of shit
Yes they do

>Even Microsoft doesn't do this kind of shit
They've been doing it since XP, actually.

Forgot about those people. Where's the Brazzers logo?

Apple probably has it easy in this regard - they built most machines running MacOS, leaving little room for upgrades.

> I'll keep recommending Macs to non technical people
What the fuck? It's one thing to be upset about pointless data collection, it's another to go full "nothing matters anymore, take all my data".

Apple has a TERRIBLE privacy policy and EULAs, they can basically grab and use anything ever. They go like 3 times further than even Google.

is this image real? i remember there was an image like that but i don't remember being topless

Attached: 1520717819068.jpg (1592x876, 593K)

Quote from their current privacy policy:
> We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose.
What is that non-personal information?
> occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, referrer URL, location, and the time zone
> information regarding customer activities on our website, iCloud services, our iTunes Store, App Store, Mac App Store, App Store for Apple TV and iBooks Stores and from our other products and services
[Yes, all information from everything they do, if in doubt]
> how you use our services, including search queries
[repeat, everything]

But don't worry, even the remaining personal information can be:
> available to strategic partners that work with Apple to provide products and services, or that help Apple market to customers
> We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate.
[Oh, I get the legal compliance, but "public importance"? Lel]
> in the event of a reorganization, merger, or sale we may transfer any and all personal information we collect to the relevant third party
[Wow, if it's a "sale" or "reorganization", they can just sell your personal information. Foolproof protection there]

This and more here:
apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/

And this is neither all from that document nor all that can be found in other EULA and such.
Point is: Fuck your apple spy toy; you must be extremely ignorant to suggest that as better alternative.

:^)

Attached: ubuntu brazzers edition.png (800x569, 380K)

for i in 'remove PACKAGE' autoremove ; do sudo apt -y --purge $i ; done
/thread

Slightly overkill when this will suffice.

apt -y --purge package1 package2 .... n

you forgot to mention that unlike microsoft telemetry you can read what it sends if you decide to opt in

Make a survey instead jesus

:^)

Attached: 1521361037633s.jpg (250x187, 6K)

Doesn't remove the crap left behind.

I use arch on my personal machine (because I7m too brainlet to configure a kernel and use gentoo onr my thinkpad x201).
I have to use ubuntu on another machine because ROS is "only" available on Ubuntu, meaning I'm too lazy to do it another way.

>Distros shouldn't be allowed to get telemetry data to improve their software
>what the fuck why is Linux over a decade behind everything else????!!!!

Attached: 15129692318381322169637.jpg.png (226x300, 78K)

That's anonymous hardware data collection, it has nothing to do with your privacy. Stop being paranoid, this is not comparable to the GAFA's policies.

why are the womyn not naked? small tits?

>normie ubuntu user
>know any jack shit about filling hardware survey

If it works then why would he file the survey?

dang look at the grip the white girl has on that guy's arm she is sexually aroused

>editing the thumbnail

Attached: 452620c767366798d3.png (336x512, 132K)

>optionally collects hardware config
I don't see the issue.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Pop Team Epic - 11 [720p].mkv_snapshot_16.56_[2018.03.17_11.29.00].jpg (252x203, 13K)

>there are still people in 2018 who believe there's such a thing as anonymous data

Attached: 1461882149765s.png (160x113, 6K)

1. the only reason companies make shit "opt out" is because they know it's fucking unwanted. The decision actually proves they know what they're doing is anti-user

2. The ends don't justify the means

3. no u

>telemetry is ok unless Microsoft does it
The state of Sup Forums right now

Attached: 1521248943666.gif (200x200, 3.89M)

so why would anyone use GNU/Ubuntu and not windows?

The difference is that this is opt-out and because its open source that claim can actually be verified properly, unlike on Windows.

Canonical = Windows, Amazontu not GNU/Linux.
Gentoo is GNU/Linux, not Ububuntu.

Attached: torvaldsnvidia-640x424.jpg (640x424, 29K)

I don't use Linux as a client OS usually but what distro would everyone recommend for a server? I use Ubuntu Server for a single-use card decryption VM but not sure I'd use it for something more demanding (e.g. transcoding server). I use CentOS at work but I am not sure general user applications support it well.

Attached: 1344355908287.png (500x500, 147K)

DAIZ

lfs

>windows
>optionally
Not the case with Windows 10, at least.

>Every linux distro will eventually benefit from these hardware data surveys
They won't. Data collection doesn't improve software, except for search engines. I'm 100% sure Ubuntu is shipping with it not because its programmers/engineers want, but because a manager does.

And as said, they make it opt-out because they know NO ONE would opt-in to data collection. They're just setting a default and hoping everyone ignores it.

>Data collection doesn't improve software,
I'm against forced telemetry botnet, but you either delusional faggot or know jackshit about technology for thinking this.

>Data collection doesn't improve software

Attached: 1518231681072.jpg (708x891, 244K)

Then you sure can point out software that got better after including analytics, due to the inclusion of analytics.

Attached: cute bunny.gif (500x625, 1.78M)

Google

Why are you using right now?
What the reason multiple distros got less support on from some developers
Why are you a faggot who know nothing about real world? oh wait, you just a Sup Forums shitposter, take my free "you" then.

>Anime shitposter
>Doesn't know that Tachiyomi also got data analytic option on it
Why do you even in Sup Forums?

they'll just sell the data
there's nothing they can improve with it
if they wanted to fix the obvious glaring issues with GNOME/GTK/whatever they could do it without this shit, and it's not about hardware compatibility either because that's mostly the job of the kernel which they don't really contribute to

Which, as I said in , search engines are the only kind of software that inherently get better with tracking you.

>Why are you using right now?
?????
>What the reason multiple distros got less support on from some developers
Lack of manpower.
>Why are you a faggot who know nothing about real world? oh wait, you just a Sup Forums shitposter, take my free "you" then.
k dude

show me how that analytics software improved it

Attached: rin and lancer.png (960x924, 653K)

>they'll just sell the data
Nice FUD. I doubt some anonymous hardware configs are of much value anyway.

>show me how that analytics software improved it
It literally written on the app at the about tab you dumb anime shitposter.

>Lack of manpower.
Gezz, I wonder if there are some things that can be doneabout that as a software developer.

Not them but you're a fucking retard if your only argument is "show me evidence only the developers of the software probably have".

>Hello, I'm the developer
>If you use this option it gonna send the data about your phone whenever our app crashed.
GET REKT

People are stupid.
>Amazon botnet appeared opt-out
>People still trust, defend it "you can turn it off"
>Datamining botnet appeared opt-out
>People still trust, defend it "you can turn it off"

Reminds me a bit of the mentality of Windows users, why?

Have you ever written any software before? It doesn't seem like you have.

Also, the replies above you are arguing about whether the data is useful or not.

>crash reports and analytics are the same thing
7/10 made me reply

>show me evidence only the developers of the software probably have
You're admitting you can't be sure weather analytics are improving the software you're using or not. So why assume it does without evidence to back this up?

Saying "ofc it improves" is not an argument

yes, but I won't include telemetry/analytics unless forced by my employer because I'm not an asshole

managers/marketing people are the one looking at data, not programmers

Attached: what are you doing here.png (1092x1052, 741K)

>So why assume it does without evidence to back this up?
So why assume it doesn't without any evidence to back this up?

What's wrong with this exactly? Most users don't have the time/inclination to file bug reports. That's why Ubuntu has a "Report a Bug" popup whenever an application crashes.

This new "telemetry" will just mean that Canonical will get your dmesg on first boot, so they can see what kind of hardware people are using Ubuntu for, what works and what doesn't work, etc.

And you still can remove Amazon shit in 10 seconds.

I'm sure the marketing department and managers look at crash reports and performance metrics.

The biggest proved that most distro aren't capable buying every hardware that exist in this world or manually collect data from each user, any devs proprietary or not will benefit from such data collection.
Crash report also a data collection.
But I know you never written anything in your neet life.

See, Windows loser mentality.
An OS should be secure by default.

How does having anonymous information that you can use to improve the software you write make you an asshole?

>shitty amazon search compromises security
What?

>Eh, this user who the data we collect said that His distro only boot and perform less compare to other use according to our automated chart.
>LMAO WHO CARES
GET REKT.

This is horribly written but their underlying point is correct.

The "burden of proof" is in the one trying to collect data on me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I made it clear that crash reports and telemetry/analytics are very different things, user.

>The biggest proved that most distro aren't capable buying every hardware that exist in this world or manually collect data from each user, any devs proprietary or not will benefit from such data collection.
>they will benefit because I say so

>Crash report also a data collection.
And the only one that isn't benign by default, as long as it's opt-in.

>Crash report also a data collection.
k buddy

>anonymous information that you can use to improve the software
This concept is a fallacy. Software is improved by dedicating workhours to it (adding new features, removing bugs, refactoring source code to make it easier to maintain, etc.).

Crash reports do help with removing bugs. I'm only arguing that it is ethical to ask the user first. Usage data, on the other hand, is essentially spying at how people use your program.

congrats, you concluded that someone either has faulty and/or older hardware. Nice software improvement (and privacy breach).

Attached: aerith middle finger.png (968x1006, 795K)

meant to quote in the third paragraph

eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks
Also
>Unless you have opted out, we will also send your keystrokes as a search term to productsearch.ubuntu.com and selected third parties so that we may complement your search results with online search results from such third parties including: Facebook, Twitter, BBC and Amazon. Canonical and these selected third parties will collect your search terms and use them to provide you with search results while using Ubuntu.
I know it's opt-in now, but it shouldn't be there in the first place. The fact that there's now datamining just proofs that canonical doesn't take privacy serious.

>congrats, you concluded that someone either has faulty and/or older hardware. Nice software improvement (and privacy breach).
>The data collection actually work to improved our software
>I CHOOSE THE OPTION ON USING THIS FEATURE! PRIVACY BREACH! PRIVACY BREACH! PRIVACY BREACH!
LMAO, Do you even read your own post. Nice try to moving the goalpost(faggot)

>Ubuntu logo is an interracial threesome
I never knew this before. But yeah who cares OP only brainlet-tier users use Ubuntu.

I definitely agree that it should never have been implemented in the first place but you can't call a search engine sending keystrokes to find the stuff it needs to display a security compromise.

>And the only one that isn't benign by default, as long as it's opt-in.
But that was the whole discussion about you dumb fuck.
>>crash reports and analytics are the same thing
>It literally written on the app at the about tab you dumb anime shitposter.
>>Doesn't know that Tachiyomi also got data analytic option on it

LFS

>The data collection actually work to improved our software
Neither your example or I implied that. I've never moved the goalpost since my first post here.
Are you okay, user?

Attached: aqua making fun of you.jpg (680x960, 87K)

You must be completely delusional if you think that usage statistics have zero benefits from a developer point of view.

>¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Explains a lot really.

>Someone got faulty or older hardware that doesn't work well with our software
>Maybe we can do something to improved our software to fix that problem
Are you okay, user who never written anything before?

Should have said usage statistics AND hardware information as that was the original point of the thread.

Tachiyomi only send crash reports. No analytics like Piwik or Google Analytics included. Try again.

>it's obvious it improves, trust me dude, even though I have no examples beside search engines to back this up
okay.jpg

show me an example of where that has actually happened

Attached: 俺の社会人生活がこんなに忙しいわけがない.jpg (590x835, 106K)

>Tachiyomi only send crash reports
It also send phone hardware data but not user personal information.
But I know you just a gullible user who never read their github before.

>show me an example of where that has actually happened
Tachiyomi, do you think we got all the money in the world to bought all type of android phones that also run on multiple modified android OSes?
How dumb are you?

who is that bald guy? he's a semen deamon

Shit like this makes it obvious you've never written anything before.
What type of hardware users are running is useful from a developer point of view to see if they are able to support newer or more demanding features, but instead of acknowledging something as basic as this you arrogantly claim there are no benefits. Be against it from a moral point of view if you want, but don't diminish its usefulness.

>m-m-muh burden of proof!

look at those milkers
can even see the erect nipples
Im gonna cum

Because Canonical (nor anyone else) doesn't have any business knowing what's in my computer, or what I use it for, unless I choose to tell them. Proactively choose - opt-out collection is never acceptable, only opt-in. What they intend to use the information for, or what benefits they think it might have, is irrelevant.

You're a fucking retard that can't read:
>Be against it from a moral point of view if you want, but don't diminish its usefulness.

It would be very useful to me to shoot you and take all your shit. You'd probably object to that on moral grounds no matter how useful I think it is.

>freetards constantly complaining about botnet in windows
>their own shit gets data-mined
>"this is actually good"

Attached: boi.jpg (768x768, 59K)

>murder == data collection
What's next, a food analogy?

>What type of hardware users are running is useful from a developer point of view to see if they are able to support newer or more demanding features
You could easily add said newer/more demanding features while giving the user an option to disable them if he wants to.

>but instead of acknowledging something as basic as this you arrogantly claim there are no benefits
I'm sorry, but the one here behaving arrogantly is you. You literally are claiming your opinion is something "obvious", yet one still has to post here evidence of that.

> It also send phone hardware data
Does it do that only when it sends crash reports, or all the time?
Either way, that makes it unethical from my point of view desu. At least, being free software, the users can develop and publish a fixed version of the program if they want to.

> Be against it from a moral point of view if you want, but don't diminish its usefulness.
I'm against it both from a moral and a practical point of view. Data collection in Ubuntu is useless. Time spent developing this spying software could be used for, idk, making a patch for the GTK file picker. Or rewriting pieces of Nautilus to make it faster. But instead you're using paid developers's man power to write spyware.

that's it folks, it was fun arguing with all of you but I gotta go to the gym. I'll come back tonight and reply if this thread is still alive.

Attached: Lancer vs True Assassin.jpg (672x600, 143K)

Just stop using Ubuntu. Problem solved.

>voluntary survey
>implying that it will be in any way accurate or comprehensive
>implying response rate will be above 5%

Attached: anime-girl-laughing[1].jpg (1021x574, 60K)

Data collection is very useful. For doing bad things that ought not be done, like making the software into a gelded lowest-common-denominator mass-market piece of crap.

>option to disable
See my original point of never developing anything before.

>yet one still has to post here evidence of that
I'm speaking from my own programming experience, why would I de-anonymize myself? Also, you haven't either, you've just cried about burden of proof.

>that's it folks
Good riddance.

OS is like a box of chocolates...

>linux faggots get to send data anonymously
When I first booted my Huawei Matebook X(TM), on openBSD I sent an email to based support team with my complete dmesg to help them with drivers etc, to which they replied thanking me for my support
Get THAT out of your mainstream distro

GNU+Linux