Am I the only one noticing how Dell Precisions are cheap as fuck for what you get on eBay?

Am I the only one noticing how Dell Precisions are cheap as fuck for what you get on eBay?

Are Precisions the Thinkpads of prebuilt?

Attached: m002793552_sc7.jpg (180x180, 4K)

Anything that goes through a business life cycle gets dumped onto the used market amass at the end of a company upgrade.
We're talking hundreds and thousands of the same systems being dumped into the market every couple of years, hell, even 4th gen i5/i7s are starting to hit the used PC market and those are just fine for basically everything and gaming.

Yes, I know that happens, but this is just ridiculous. Gaymerfags could have a system that runs whatever new jew shooter they want for $250, I'm not kidding.

this
i work for a small private company and they threw out a few Dell computers.
i ended up taking 3.
Intel i3 4th gen (probably 3.4GHz)
with 8GB ram

gave one to my sister, one to my brother, and the other one i just have laying in a closet

Best to pick one up asap
they'll be good for most things that average consumers would use
Some even have Xeons
I might get one so I can make a dedicated streaming pc or server

I did an internship at a company a couple years back and when they no longer had use for computers the IT people would personally bring them to some dump where people would open up the computer, take a saw to the motherboard, and then toss it.

Will they still be there in a week? That's when I'll have the fun monies for one of these.

The donwside with these are the proprietary mainboards and PSUs

Custom everything
3.5" HDD slots require special adapters
Motherboard and PSU have custom form factors

Optiplex systems are the same. I got a low profile Optiplex 980 a few years ago for less than $200 with "no OS" but had a windows 7 professional key still on it. Also has an i7.

Thinking of upgrading to full size so I can actually get a decent graphics card with drivers for linux since the current nVidia card blows.

For me, it's the Dell Optiplex 7010 MT.

Quite a few do stuff like that, not all gaymers are total idiot 14 year olds who go to Best Goy and get their mom to buy a $2000 prebuilt piece of shit worth $400

Most would rather build their machine themselves if they can afford it and know how, but starting with some used Dell that has a decent CPU and putting in a mid-range GPU is not unheard of if you're looking to get a best bang-for-buck budget build. Sometimes the PSU and/or case isn't enough for the GPU though..

Attached: aid685048-v4-728px-Refurbish-a-Computer-Step-9.jpg (728x546, 40K)

What the fuck is a precision? Are they like workstations version of optiplex?

I don't think many people want to build right now seeing GPU and RAM prices.

I think so.

Can confirm these things are good. With ram and drive upgrades, I put 5 of these to work in a supercomputer

That's why you go with a seller with pictures of the insides, choose one with a standard m-atx mobo, 4 ram slots and normal atx PSU.

yeah that goes without saying, but there are still people that need a machine for whatever reason, and an ebay Dell is a good way to get all the other shit as cheap as possible when any way you slice it the GPU is going to be so much more expensive than it otherwise would be

>take a saw to the motherboard

Why?

why for the glory of satan of course

Those don't have the high end xeons and probably have lower build quality

We know, we tell them that every so often.
They never listen.

Although, since Ryzen new parts outside of GPU and RAM have gone down quite a lot.

Could you red pill me on workstation PCs? Is there a hierarchical chart that compares the performance with modern consumer CPUs? Just so you know what to look for.

Most of the listings I see don't provide internal case photos so it's hard to see if a graphics card would fit in there, let alone supported by whatever mobo is used.

You're late to the party
Less than a year ago I picked up a T1650 with a Xeon E3-1240v2, 32 GB ECC RAM, 120 GB SSD, Nvidia Quadro K2000 plus an Elitebook for ~125$

>Elitebook
Was it that thicc aluminum one with SandyBridge?

>Was it that thicc aluminum one
Yes
>with SandyBridge?
No, Ivy Bridge. 8470p

I had the slightly older 8460p at work. It was great and I don't remember ever having problems with it.

This. Plus they take low profile extension cards like VGA

OP was talking about workstations though
They support normal GPUs just fine

Because business want to make sure nobody else can use them or sell them , if they throw it away they want to make sure it's trashed,

I have a Precision 690 with a pair of X5355s. Comfy as fuck.

Ram is a bitch thought

I prefer the optiplex line. The design is legit better than any other small form factor on the market. They sell for cheap as hell. Wack a cheap 750 in it and you can pretty much play everything you want at 720p minimum. For workstations they are perfect stock.

forgot pic

Attached: opti.jpg (1000x1000, 89K)

>nvidia qaudro k2000
>buy 4 cheap walmart 4k tv
>have the ultimate battle station

A CHALLENGER APPEARS

Attached: Lenovo-ThinkStation-D30.jpg (850x662, 76K)

I have a dell precision t3400 sitting in the basement. Will any of the ram or the processors go into a thinkpad t420 or a dell latitude e5500?

while the gaming perspective is fine on paper, it will eventually get to a point where you hit a wall or want more leeway in general like "4k30 or 1080p60" and older hardware will not cut it
the budget pro becomes a sunk cost whenever you have more than minimal expectations and are caught in an upgrade loop instead of upgrade leaps

Buying a pre built is cheaper than building your own gaming rig at the moment.

You're vastly overthinking this. It's a pre-built so you can just look at the specs online.

Price-wise, theyre expensive as hell compared to Precisions.

Thanks for re-stating what I said

You're welcome.

Tips for finding these for cheap on eBay? I rely just want a 4th gen i5 for less than $150

> Unless you snipe a manufacture refurbished 6gb 1060 on newegg for literally MSRP like I did
I do plan on buying a miner raped 1080 or something when the buttcoin pops / new cards drop if it's dirt cheap and having the 1060 as a fallback if it dies

Lenovo ThinkCentres and Dell Optiplexes are the cheapest used prebuilts.

fuck you guys
poorfag here, all you fuckers and youtubers shilling them made them rise too much

HP Z600

wouldn't it be smarter to donate or transfer the stuff to a liquidator and file it on their taxes later

really, a business taking a saw to motherboards? that's just too lulzy to believe

yes