Why did this fat fuck write Memecraft in Java? It runs like shit and is a memory hog

Why did this fat fuck write Memecraft in Java? It runs like shit and is a memory hog.

Attached: swedishRetard.jpg (616x462, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/b9kGhXOzxts?t=1761
github.com/MCMrARM/mcpelauncher-linux
youtu.be/2vnTtiLrV1w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Consider reading the file name on your image.

lmao minecraft isn't a memory hod at all. Jesus christ its not 2009 you stupid fuck.

Who gives a fuck about Minecraft?

He's a billionaire, think he gives a shit? He wrote it in Java cause I guess he knew Java and was able to make his shit and sell it for a fuck ton of money so writing it in Java apparently was wildly fucking successful lmao.

>retard that fell for the 8gb ram meme

>hurr durr shitpissing

because it was a made by a hog that forgot to keep fit

user...

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 16.30.00.png (468x509, 90K)

Cause he was able to actually create and sell a game instead of obsessing over premature optimization and never finishing it.

Because he is a low iq brainlet who doesn't know anything.

npbp

Minecraft is the most profitable game ever. Not only that, it is probably the most profitable piece of software ever.

Notch as the highest dollar per line of code ratio of any programmer ever.

And he wrote it all on a language nobody really uses for gamedev.

>He's a billionaire,
really?

he never expected it to be more than a fun little game worth putting actually effort into, and once it reached popularity it was to late to rewrite it in a language that is not shit

He got very lucky with minecraft

brutal but true

/thread

why is this buggy piece of shit that runs like ass even allowed to sell

Jesus you people are out of touch. Yes, he's a billionaire, and, no, (((microsoft))) has been pushing a cross-platform C++ version for years.

then Microsoft bought it and rewrote it in c++ cause it ran like shit

Yeah he sold that pile of shit for several billion dollars and according to the internet he has a net worth of $1.3billion.

tl;dr learn Java and sell garbage to Microsoft for billions of dollars?

Best way to make a game cross compatible with almost anything under the sun.

it was rewritten in c++

It runs fine... on a toaster even... is java really that bad?

Most java hate is just memes

youtu.be/b9kGhXOzxts?t=1761

Attached: r.png (1102x967, 501K)

Looks like someone follows meinkraft news

Attached: cef68afaaf497060f7872ceb0a4e774a.png (856x481, 58K)

lmao its just 8 bit pixels and cubes theres no way a fricking potato cannot run it!

>Freetards say that open sores is better
>Yet minecraft wouldn't even be a fraction of success if it wasn't proprietary
impressive

It runs fine if you have any gpu better than a gt 210 and cpu better than a p4. A $20 gtx 560 and a $10 i3 would run it flawlessly. Its people trying to run it on decade old laptops that gave it the bad reputation for performance.

most of the effort comes from mod community senpai

>the fatfuck said he was going to release the source code when it was finished
>still not finished 8 years later

My single core Atom can't run it.

>see this old screenshot
>get nostalgic for fucking windows 7

Attached: ScreenShot039.png (1024x736, 675K)

By that logic we should have threads about Facebook

>It runs like shit and is a memory hog
What the fuck are you trying to run it on, a calculator? I've seen Minecraft running fine on 10 year old laptops for christsakes.

>tfw fell for the 16GiB meme
it's just not enough bros why did you lie to me

Attached: 1470606316605.jpg (601x601, 65K)

Go away Notch your code is shit and that is an objective truth

But Facebook isn't a video game.

Who cares? I loved old minecraft. My friend ran a server and we had a lot of fun. You contrarian hipster fucks can suck my dick. You're just buttbasted this fat fuck is now a billionaire and is probably banging ten supermodels and snorting coke as I type this.

Attached: thread.jpg (1280x720, 135K)

>Sup Forums - Video Games

Don’t use a single core atom?
Can that piece of shit run anything?
Just stop being poor

which only runs on winshit 10

>Why did this fat fuck write Memecraft in Java?
Because it's easier.
>It runs like shit and is a memory hog.
This is why microsoft rewrote the code in C++.

>assmad C+ user who hasn't made a dime after years of coding
Remember, BILLIONAIRE
Ask any kid and I guarantee they've played or at least knows about Minecraft, doesn't matter what demographic you're going for as long as the money is coming in

he literally promised opening the source code up as soon as it wouldn't hurt sales

unfortunately, it was later backtracked on

>fat fuck
Not anymore, nigger.

wrong, it also runs on gnu/linux, try github.com/MCMrARM/mcpelauncher-linux

the windows 10 edition is literally recompiled mcpe, so it should count

>under the sun.
Good pun.

>play modded 1.7.1.0 for ages, it's fun but got old
>install 1.11.0 and spend hours individually downloading mods, won't run for some retarded fucking reason involving the new forge loading screen even when I disable it
>install 1.12.0 and spend hours downloading mods, won't run because God knows why fuck you
I fucking hate Minecraft and Mojang, Jesus Christ. I just wanted to travel to the same 12 locations in a straight path for hours, battle by spamming M1 and occasionally M2 and play with the Kemono Friends mod.

Attached: 1517648068586.png (205x269, 29K)

You realize that Java is literally the most used platform in the world right? What do you think Android runs on? You can build perfectly performant games on them that can run on hardware when relatively resources. You sound like you have no idea what you're talking about.

lol

try asking /vg/mcg for support?

>programas
lol'd

50 replies without an actual answer

He said multiple times he did it because he knew Java and could edit code while running and see changes instantly

This

Everyone knows that. OP just an excuse for Sup Forumstards to talk about Minecraft.

Friendly reminder that Notch was a Sup Forumstard and many of the very early concepts are from Sup Forums shitposting. He only stopped when it became popular enough that associating with Sup Forums would hurt.

Minecraft used to be ridiculously easy to pirate (idk what it's like now), you could even play on third-party servers unlike most pirated games where you're locked into single player.

What happened is people saw the graphical style and tried to run it on potatoes and toasters from 2001.

It wasn't that bad when he wrote it.
Microsoft are the ones who brought it up to 200mb of garbage per second and then denied any issue.

It's a fine demonstration of how garbage collection is bad even for idiots.

It should absolutely run on those systems. If it was made by a competent developer.
youtu.be/2vnTtiLrV1w
Here's a hobby project.
This absolutely runs on crappy machines. Not at that extreme render distance but certainly at a playable one.

Sup Forums turned on him after he got mildy popular.

five years ago it was fine. welcome to the future.

Make it work on Windows 7 or 8 and then we can talk.

he's fat, it's obviously not finished

Why are there crosses beside the games' name? Are those christ approved games?

Modded minecraft is unironically very fun. It helped me to better understand circuits when I was still a Sup Forums brainlet. A lot of modpacks have tons of bloat though, so be selective about what you play

It also seems like a great tool to educate and get kids interested in programming and engineering

Attached: 7YdcUbE.png (800x600, 29K)

a) Android is not running on a JVM. It runs a JVM for the apps, but not the whole system.
b) Java was chosen only because at that point (2007) all the previous mobile devs were familiar with Java apps on the dumb phones, so Google thought it would have a larger pool of app developer if it stuck with a Java SDK.
c) Games are made with Android NDK, which is C++

Yeah programming mining turtles especially is an OK introduction to programming.

>It runs like shit and is a memory hog.

no!! java hotspot™ optimizes erverything to be fast like C+++!1

The JVM is fast, which is why hadoop, cassandra and spark and friends are on the JVM, apart from performance critical parts of twitters stack and more.

But yea, Minecraft wasn't made well enough for it to be actually fast. The JVM isn't doing miracles.

And people defend GC by saying you can write code in a way that doesn't kill your performance.
But they don't realize that the exact actions you take to not make your application slow is the same as when you manage memory manually. You allocate up front. You don't allocate memory wildly.
So you're taking pointless overhead for no gain. While using a reduced tool set because your tools expect you to use the GC.
No the JVM is just a runtime optimized system so it does well for applications running in similar patterns for a couple hours at least.
But as always it only optimizes what the programmer didn't.

pics or it didn't happen

>Giving a shit about superseded releases

this

Attached: totally_a_turtle.jpg (480x360, 26K)

This game (and its fan-made clones) is written in Python. PYTHON. No wonder why it's a CPU hog.

Attached: BnSilknGpoRENDs-800x450-noPad.jpg (800x450, 100K)

EVE Online was mostly written in Python

Attached: xwSyln.png (1440x900, 2.01M)

No fucking way, dude.

>Minecraft
>not playing Minetest, Terasology or Truecraft

Who the fk buys tetris

>i7-8700k OC to 5ghz
>1080ti OC to 2050mhz
>16gb of ram
>can't play minecraft without extreme stuttering
Yeah, fucking normies and there fucking ram.

The backend was made in C++ but python was used for scripting

yep

>graphics engine: C++
>servers: C and Python
>all remaining game logic: Python

Like doom it's been ported to just about every home computer and video game console known to man. Not to mention the thousands of variants of tetris. The tetris company based in hawaii makes a lot of money off licising the tetris brand.

Attached: 1491870850864.jpg (320x322, 92K)

It came standard on all Motorola phones back in the day. Even the Switch has a new Tetris game.
It's a simple as fuck time waster. Short and simple time wasters, with high replay value, are the best model to build a game around.

Attached: 1294044562378.jpg (430x430, 26K)

why the fuck do you quote me you turboautist? op asked why he wrote it in java not why it is still in the current year in java.

Yeah, and they paid him over a billion dollars for the privilege.

This. Normies succeed while autists get stuck on deciding which language to use.

My dumb kid played a shotty MC knockoff for a year. I imagine one or two of those little companies that made them, probably bought houses and retired.

So?
Notch mad fat cash writing a game that exists, rather than not making money on a game that he'd still be trying to shit out.

Write once, run anywhere
Minimum maintenance and support related to various platforms and updates of OS
Portability
Simple graphics won't suffer because of VM overhead
Language is simple and takes care of memory for you

I'd say these are good enough reasons.

>be a wanabee indie game dev
>only know Java but from some uni class 7 years ago
>"I wanna make a game!"
>Just like every late 20 guy who hangs around computers
>"I know Java, it's a popular language with a lot of docs! It should be fine!"
>Proceed to make some golgotha tier coding for a game
>get attention because right time right place
>it all blows up
The rest is history. Nothing else is to be considered, it's just how it happened.

Why isn't Doom on that list then?

because most people played the shareware version

I just wanna go back in time bros...

Move to a first world country and buy a computer from the 21st century, pajeet.

hi notch