Linux accessibility

I'm a student using windows for day-to-day activities. I'm looking to switch to Linux but I'm not sure about how it "just works". For example does it run things like Spotify, discord, skype, etc. And how do word processors and powerpoint alternitives compare?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached: it-just-works.jpg (660x433, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Read. The. Sticky.

everything you listed is considered harmful

>For example does it run things like Spotify, discord, skype, etc.
Yep. And you can get them in flatpacks or snaps or app-images, whatever the fuck they call 'em. This will sandbox them and provide stability.

Word processors/Powerpoint alts will work great. I use LibreOffice in college.
Spotify and Discord will work fine as well. I believe there are versions provided online, and if that doesn't work out you could check out snap packages or flatpak, which should provide that kinda stuff.
Skype i've heard mixed opinions about. I do know there's a native client, but it may not have all of the features of the Windows version. Blame Microsoft. On the other hand, I hear the situation on that may have improved lately.

All of the programs you listed are available through Linux Mint's Package manager. Linux Mint feels like an evolution of W7. As for your questions regarding office shit, download Libre Office for Windows and decide for yourself.

First, it's GNU/Linux, not Linux.

Second, this Third, of course they work. LibreOffice works pretty well, but most people I know prefer either LaTeX or some sort of Markdown.

This. Everything you listed is considered haram.

Hello. Fellow student here.

>Spotify
Yes, at least it did three or four years ago when I still used it. There is probably a package for it, or you can run it in Vine I think.
>Discord
Yes, there is a .deb package you can grab from the discord page, it just werks without any issues on My Computer (TM)
>Skype
I really would advise against this. Skype on Linux is spyware, it snoops through your files where it shouldn't. This can either be fixed by doing some stuff with permissions, or you could just not give a hoot, I mean, you're already on Windows, right?

GNU+Linux is great for students to be quite perfectly honest with you, friend. Start taking notes in Vim or a similar text editor, it's great.

LibreOffice is also perfectly sufficient for me when it comes to writing papers or such, but I'm in the humanities so I haven't done anything with formulas and stuff, but I guess you'd just use LaTeX for that anyways.

I'm a newfag explain please

>spotify
Any music player, really
>disord
Mumble, teamspeak
>skype
Don't
>powerpoint
LaTeX + beamer and a fancy theme

Nice baito btw, replies could help actual newfags

Attached: imdone.png (625x626, 35K)

Many of the services that he is referring to, Spotify, discord, and skype mainly, are Proprietary Software. Proprietary software, in the eyes of many GNU/Linux users, is considered to be unethical due to its disrespect for your privacy and your freedoms. For more information, please read the articles on GNU's website
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

Thanks, for the help

>spotify
drm, rips off musicians, electron garbage
>discord
spyware, the next proprietary walked garden that has users because "everyone uses it"
>skype
>powerpoint
All of the above + M$ for that extra cancer

>spotify is a music player

Don't know if its funny or sad, but its not a bait lmao

Dude skype's dead

>Mint
wew lad don't

What are you, a datalet? I don't respect people with a music collection inb4 convenience
Fuck off

Attached: Screenshot_System_UI_20180318-222800.png (1080x1920, 115K)

I'm running discord and spotify perfectly on Debian, not sure about skype (you probably shouldn't be using it anyway). If you get a beginner distro like ubuntu it just werks.

Attached: linuxnag.jpg (806x938, 337K)

>harmful.cat-v.org/software/
Be careful. It may blow your mind.

Attached: urielwasright.png (820x1172, 26K)

Spotify and Skype have Linux ports, and discord works in any browser. As others have said, Libreoffice is the most JustWerks™office suite.

The point isn't that they aren't there, the point is that people shouldn't use them because they are anti-freedom

It "just works" as long as you set it up and configure it the right way.

Spotify and Discord work. Skype has a Linux build but I haven't used that garbage in half a decade so idk if it works properly. Either way, all 3 are malware and should be avoided. Use the discord web client if you must use it, and download your music instead of streaming it.
Word and presentation software is fine. If you prefer the MSO GUI you can install WPS Office. Other alternatives are OnlyOffice and LibreOffice.
Distros that "just work" are generally debian based distros, or Solus, Fedora, etc. For a windows user the general recommendation is ZorinOS.

If you don't give a shit about potential malware, then feel free to ignore all warnings about Discord/Skype.

>tfw virtualize an OS for each program I use so I can actually install and use any program I want without worrying about the long dick of the datamining companies

Attached: qubes-logo-icon-name-slogan-fb.png (1200x630, 27K)

Guys, while a lot of this might be complete autism, I personally think that in this day and age, calling it GNU/Linux actually has some real meaning. There is this little thing called Android, and it uses the Linux kernel, but the rest of the components are non-GNU. Some are even proprietary! However, I have seen normies make the dangerously misleading claim that "Android is Linux!" It technically is, as it uses the Linux Kernel, but it shares nothing else with GNU/Linux distros, particularly their respect for your freedoms.
Because of this, we should say GNU/Linux, so as not to confuse it with the botnet that is Android, or other such projects. By saying GNU/Linux, we make it clear that yes, we are using Linux, but we are also using Free Software.

>download ubuntu

>sudo apt-get install spotify
>sudo apt-get install discord
>sudo apt-get install skype

it just works

I'm running spotify and discord right now on linux

Spotify works, Discord works, and Skype works. I've used all three on Manjaro Linux and Antergos Linux either via the official repositories or via the AUR.

With regard to word processing and presentations, the LibreOffice suite works incredibly well. If that fails you, Microsoft Office Online and Google Docs are both strong, free alternatives provided you have an internet connection.

Any other questions?

>Microsoft Office Online and Google Docs are both strong, free alternatives
It's spelled "gratis" you inane dunce.

Attached: absolutely_proprietary.jpg (480x451, 43K)

Spotify is pure Java, Discord is electron or in the browser, and skype has a linux port. All of these run on Linux easily.

For word processors, don't be an unprofessional brainlet and learn proper typesetting in LaTeX. If you're too lazy to do that, just use libreoffice or the google office suite.

I use skype regularly wtf. And so do all of my coworkers.

Dude you and your coworkers are being spied on by Microshaft

Attached: he_restricts_my_freedoms.png (998x932, 608K)

I think Skype is, or is going to be, open source .

CM without gapps isn't a botnet
Also, you can install busybox for some GNU utils on Android

I think you're fucking wrong, lmao

You do realize Skype was literally sold TWICE at the behest of the NSA?

Attached: 1474227562370.jpg.png (227x255, 55K)

> I'm looking to switch to Linux but I'm not sure about how it "just works"
Consider linux is different in a lot of ways and that people is literally trained into using windows from a young age so pretty sure a lot of things will just feel "alien" when you start. Give it a fair chance and decide by yourself at the end. Give specially a good chance to the package managers.

> Spotify, discord, skype
The tree are available for linux and as far i know they work fine. I think you can get dischord and skype from a deb if you're using ubuntu and as far i know the best way to install spotify is the flatpak (which is a kind of self contained package) or through the browser.

> And how do word processors and powerpoint alternitives compare?
Honestly MS office is still better at this point (if you don't count microsoft's anti competitive practices and the possibility of becoming dependant of it). If you need it you can install it though wine and playonlinux. Libreoffice Writer is pretty good although the UI may feel outdated, i recommend you to activate the sidebar and nice icons like the breeze theme. A lot of people may tell you the LO Impress (powerpoint) is noticeably worse but i have done all my presentations with it and i haven't noticed anything bad in particular. I recommend to make sure to install the latest version because 6.0 improves a good number of things.

Also you can just use google docs or the online version of MS office (not sure if this one has restrictions), but i would go for google docs because practically everyone has a gmail account anyway and this way you don't need to fear the possibility of format being screwed and on top of that the other person only need their browser and you can even edit from your phone easily.

At las you may want to check WPS office (although is Chinese and support for non Chinese/english language may be bad) or onlyoffice.

Hope this helps.

Attached: 1521158651340.jpg (1080x1080, 705K)

>For example does it run things like Spotify, discord, skype, etc

Keep >10km distance from free software OS' until you stop using all this cancer.

it works like shit, but for the pleb things you do it should be functional enough.

That was actually very informative, thanks

>search "install Gentoo" in the thread
>0 results
Fucking faggots
Here nigger. Read this: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Attached: Ospicker.png (1559x1107, 220K)

Spotify, discord and skype just werks but don't use it. Libre office is just fine but sometimes you'll have some small formating issues because microshit file formats are closed.
You'll learn that you won't need the (brand X) software to do your stuff. Try to learn how to do what you want with simple software and less bloat. Like the fags said above, try to learn some markdown, latex and I suggest learning vim. This shit is life changing.