Sup Sup Forums

sup Sup Forums

I just bought a 500gb External harddrive from Goodwill for $5. Is there any use for it? It's IDE.. so it'll probably be slow as hell. Any good software to test the disk to make sure it isn't gonna crap out as soon as I put stuff on it?

It's an old Iomega drive.

Attached: st506c.jpg (453x397, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-Advanced-Gravis-Ultrasound-GUS-PnP-ISA-Sound-Card-with-8MB-memory/263528013074?hash=item3d5b7e5d12:g:XBwAAOSwNbFamYmq
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#History_and_predecessors
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its probably been dropped a thousand times and the moment you whisper at it the header will get stuck and the teeth will get chewed up on the platters

you dont need software to know its shit, everyday you keep your data is a gift from god/fluke with externals, it's like putting your newborn on a vespa

Lol

you can check SMART status and do a surface scan

Run a data recovery tool on it. See what weird shit the previous owner was into.

Post SMART output here

>500GB IDE drive
but how is this possible?

Probably cost a gayzillion dollars when it was launched, also I'm pretty sure it's target audience was enterprise niggers.

Check for bitcoin

smart on an ide drive?

try spinrite - if it boots and recognises you might be in luck.

>500GB
back in my day

Attached: 00025.jpg (2000x1500, 503K)

actually SMART has existed since the 90s

first 500 GB was 5-platter IDE monster from hitachi. the thing weighed like a brick. pic related. probably not as heavy as OP's unrelated pic

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (939x1000, 123K)

OP, why can't you plug it in via USB? is the connector eSATA or firewire or something exotic?
you can also take it out of the enclosure and plug it internally. at least you'll know if it's IDE or not once it's out (my bet is it's SATA).

also you said iomega, but does it say a model number or something on it?

Attached: s-l1601.jpg (1600x900, 147K)

existed and being in production are 2 diff things -
>t. ran a computer biz while at uni starting in mid-late 90's, never once then used smart while checking bios/disks etc.

Fook mi! 170mb... When I were a lad...
Have an old scsi and ide. Had a purge a few yrs ago - no more sata, pci cards etc. /g got me looking for a dx2 the other day as well.

Attached: IMG_20180319_123246.jpg (3328x1872, 1.39M)

Did you check it for deleted nudes?

My first Windows PC had a 90mb HDD.

Before that I had a C128 which didn't even have an HDD, had to use these bad boys for everything.

Attached: 1515807994449.jpg (567x415, 72K)

>he didn't put a tape into the commodore64 tape player, go outside and play with his friends for 20 min and come back just in time for the prompt....

I could do that with floppy discs, though?

>tfw just found out about fast loaders last year

Same guy -
>me
>do a clean out
>find stack of isa cards
>no gud 2 me, most mobos I have now don't even isa...
>responsibly take it down to local recycling depot
>breddy sure I binned 1 of these...
ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-Advanced-Gravis-Ultrasound-GUS-PnP-ISA-Sound-Card-with-8MB-memory/263528013074?hash=item3d5b7e5d12:g:XBwAAOSwNbFamYmq

I have an entire box full of those. Do they actually sell at that price?

Luxury. Behold. 24Mb

Attached: 20180319_184010.jpg (4032x3024, 3.6M)

Apparently - it'll be certain cards tho. Most isa cards probably aren't worth the gold they got on the contact by the time you factor getting it ...

Most of my work was servers which used scsi - got a shitload of them if you want them... and scsi cards.

Noice, finally.

top meant for

why would anybody ever need more than 1.8mb?

here, if you're ausfag and he doesn't want the cards or drives, I'll coin up for them. screaming.wet.foetus at gmail dot com

The fact **you** didn't use it, doesn't mean it wasn't there

Howdy fellow auscunt. I'll keep in mind when I clean out next. not in a mad rush as I still have some client who use the drives and enclosures.
This got the nostalgia juices flowing.

If you need more than 640kb you doing it wrong.

That fact that **your** mummy loves **you** doesn't stop **you** being a fuckwit...

Attached: IMG_20180319_161306.jpg (3328x1872, 2.45M)

Garandpa here.

Smart existed and was used way back into IDE era like with 2Gb drives or so.

the whole point of sata was because [p]ata hit a wall at 133MB/s and even that required those 80pin cables of which half of them were for shielding to get over 100 MBs
nothing wrong with using a big healthy pata drive with a sata bridge, obviously not as your main drive of course as they probably lack newer ata features like NCQ

Attached: this-is-sata-ide-hard-1267146138A.jpg (482x714, 53K)

Sick cunt. My hoard demands fresh meat.

Attached: 20171028_165010.jpg (4032x3024, 3.71M)

..and boy do I have some bellies to fill.

Attached: 20171128_181622.jpg (4032x3024, 1.92M)

Fuggin hell! Noice!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#History_and_predecessors

>Compaq submitted IntelliSafe to the Small Form Factor (SFF) committee for standardization in early 1995.[8] It was supported by IBM, by Compaq's development partners Seagate, Quantum, and Conner, and by Western Digital, which did not have a failure prediction system at the time. The Committee chose IntelliSafe's approach, as it provided more flexibility. Compaq placed IntelliSafe into the public domain on 12 May 1995.[9] The resulting jointly developed standard was named S.M.A.R.T..

Well akshully...

>tfw you know none of these posters (apart from maybe grandpa) have ever run a sector scan with diskedit....

I have.. Just sayin..

Hey! I know that bench! I didn't know you were a retrofag

Howdy Grandpa! ;^]

This'll make your bones ache - getting softice to run in wine. You know, just for the fuck of it...

I have to manually recover data, before automated data recovery tools existed.
it's not something you use everyday though.

not a grandpa though. or a dad.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 191K)

I have, to manually recover data, before automated data recovery tools existed

not a grandpa though. nor a dad even.

Attached: 1521469117564.jpg (1280x720, 214K)

i have not seen one of these other then the one i have. mine is a 37.2MB. still have it too. just thought it was fun to have around.