Ink cartriges are a scam - genuine anger thread

youtu.be/AHX6tHdQGiQ

Can I please get the power of Sup Forums on this problem?

Attached: business-woman-1377147.jpg (1300x986, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Brother-MFCL2750DW-Monochrome-Wireless-Replenishment/dp/B0763X6TCW
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

whoa watch out, soy boy with a sledgehammer and no actual solutions

>Buy new HP printer.
>Is in warranty.
>Quits fucking working.
>HP says out of warranty.
>Start BBB case.
>HP emails me, giving me coupon code for new printer.
>Doesn't fucking work, and requires additional purchase.
>Faggot on case says I am so important, and he will personally get this resolved.
>Never does.
>Keeps giving me fake coupon codes.

What the actual fuck?

I am surprised no kickstarted project has not solved this issue yet

Post printer stats.

Attached: officejet 6500a.jpg (680x587, 87K)

you don't have to use ink printers

Patents are a bitch for printers.

Fuck that nigger in the video.

What type of printer and brand do you recommend Sup Forums?

All of Sup Forums combined is less manly than 1 soyboy. You should drop the meme.

my grandpa spent his entire career with a copy machine company then as a copy machine repairman after retirement
traditional toner cartridges have a small amount of ink and are otherwise made up of a huge drum
expensive copy machines have the drum installed, cuz why the fuck do you need a new drum every time you run out of toner
then you can buy an add-on card to those copy machines to turn them into network printers, buy the tubes filled with toner, and print everything for like way way less

Attached: pl10841055-virgin_empty_ricoh_copier_toner_cartridge_for_ricoh_mp2501_copier_machine.jpg (691x648, 47K)

>do research on printers based on my needs
>shortlist printers that fit the bill
>find which printers on my shortlist have CISS
>buy whichever one is the best and has a CISS

Buying cartridges is for suckers.

>toner cartridges
>small amount of ink
Your grandpa would be ashamed.

open source foss printer where?

Nice projection

what sucks is that I have a 15 year old large format Epson scanner and he's the only fucking person who would service it but his dementia is pretty bad and he gave up all his customers / gear

>Nice projection
We're talking about printers here, not projectors.

so he has to come out of retirement, to serve and protect. his dementia also gives him super powers. the powers to instantly repair any electric device and recover ancient technologies. He's the 9001th superhero you've never heard of, coming to theaters april 2018. Also he's black and it takes place in a jim crow era black part of town, ummm sorry sweetie

I dunno but get him started on muslims and he'll tire himself out after about 15 minutes of pure rage
shell of his former self, he was pretty fucking cool until about 2 years ago

It's already been solved

Attached: 500px-Laser_toner_cartridge.svg.png (500x348, 97K)

Got me an ecotank 2 years ago. Still haven't needed to refill it.

Attached: Epson-EcoTank-Printers.jpg (700x500, 44K)

How's the print quality? Ecotank seems a good idea, but I like printouts that deliver a good, non-feathered line.

This looks like the perfect thread to tell this short story about, enjoy!

>Be me
>Be in trade college, start of year 2
>Have this massive carpenter friend (roughly 6’2”, compared to my 5’7” ass) he’s pretty much a wall of blubber but is otherwise alright, probably comes on /r9k/ though, if not tumblr.
>One day he comes over to my dorm and asks to print a “Booklet” b/c Jewish roommate owns a printer, offers to pay in extra paper for the printer
>Dormmate is out
>tell him “Sure pal!”
>he is immediately very overly greatful, shrug it off
>He goes onto my laptop, plugs in portable hard drive, then sends a massive pdf file to print
>Don’t notice size
>minutes pass, atleast 20 pages have printed full of carpenter diagrams and walls of text
>”So uh, How many pages is this gonna print?”
>”heheh I think about 40, not sure”
>Prints enough I had to refill paper
>gets to 40 pages
“Opps, I forgot to mention, double sided”
>He flips the papers over, hits “go” on next 40 pages, ignores that they’re printing upside down so he won’t be flipping through it easily
>Printer finishes, friend grabs like 2/3 of the stack, the rest isn’t printed on so it’s left there, friend then leaves
>About half an hour later the jewmate comes back, goes to use the printer
>ImaGoodFruend.jpg
>Prints onto used paper
>Roommate investigates it, finds twenty pages left in tray, proceeds to interrogate me
>Roommate goes full new on me about the amount of ink missing
>GodDamnit.pdf
>Check queue while Roommate is preoccupied checking through papers
>Total page #: 80 pages of ink intensive
>YouGottaBeKiddingMe.wtf
>This fucker was trying to print his goddamn handbook, didn’t even take the whole thing either
>Roommate demands I go bitch him out, I don’t wanna do anything b/c long day and lazy but do so anyway
>Jewmate follows me to make sure I do it
>Hand friend missing papers, saying “You forgot your papers, blah blah blah”

>Jewmate decided that wasn’t enough bitching, proceeds to bitch chubby fuck out for like twenty minutes

To this day, my old roommate still thinks it was only 30 pages instead of the full 80, and still is pissed about it.

And yeah, I had to pay for more ink, on a college fag’s wallet (which was already low to begin with)

Goes full Jew on me over the amount of lost ink*

>the power of Sup Forums
you can't just throw autism at a problem and expect it to solve itself

Stay away from Epson and HP, Canon are ok, specially if you tank them.

Anyone have any info on how it performs? i got extremely interested.

There's a few of very large incumbents to price you out of the market if you try to enter.
This isn't the oligopoly around...

Laser printer or Epson EcoTank.

Thanks user! I'm sure this wasn't posted with the intention to gather views, ads money and begging to subcribe to a shitty channel but to inform other users right?
Also, anyone not just using a continuos ink system is retarded.

Attached: ciss-epson-800-700-810-2.jpg (500x332, 52K)

I gave up on owning a printer years ago. It's just not worth it.
Can't believe they are still shit after all these years.

>buy canon printer
>buy cheap refill kits
>refill cartridges
>tell the printer to print anyway and ignore the levels
>replace cartridges when the heads fuck out
If you are being scammed by cartridges then you only have yourself to blame.

My father bought one like these, still have to finish the color bottles.
We never print tho-

>soy boy
ive watched him and hes actually pretty cool
he's a filmmaker and stuff ^-^

Epson is the only one who has printers with refillable tanks stock, no?

tpb as always

what is a good cheapo black laser printer Sup Forums? is buying laser for home use retarded when i dont print much?

Buy 3D printer instead.

this

Attached: 71kVY0nxWbL._SL1500_.jpg (1300x1300, 147K)

An entry level laser >>>>>>>>> Any inkjet printer irrespective of how much you gonna print
Cartridges cost about $10 here but they dry up as soon as i don't print for a week or something (HP, Pajeetland)

>tell these companies
No. Don't. You're advertising their products.

Stop using printers.
>but I have to provide papers
Boycott people who require you to send papers.

Share this message and eventually we can starve the fuckers or make them live on berries in the woods as it should be.

what this user said
inkjets are scam

Eh?
asked if he should buy a laser printer.
I said that he should get a laser even if the toner is expensive and he wouldn't use it as much as, idk, a small business owner will because inkjet printer cartridges dry out too quickly even if they're 85% full. Inkjets are a scam, even if you try to refill them most of the time print heads are fucked so you still wouldn't be able to get decent prints. Pay $50 more to get a BnW laser, or $120 more and get a decent color laser printer.

Not user, but I have a l365 with 15k pages printed. Print quality is decent, and printing is fast, but there is a small misalignment between page steps that I did no manage to fix on my own. It also sometimes fails to pull in the paper when using high quality. Image quality on slowest setting on glossy photo paper is very good. Also, it does not support “borderless” printing (although i think the l800 and up do)

this

Got a printer in 2015 and rarely use it.
Just refilled it the second time.

Also, if you rarely use it like me, unplug it when you're done. My last 2 printers (Cannon & HP) died just sitting there, I assume from electrical surges. A friend had one do the same thing(HP).

what is a CISS?

>tfw printers are actually the reason behind the FOSS movement

Attached: 2296.jpg (1024x576, 62K)

Since apparently everyone in this thread is 12, let me enlighten you on how we arrived at this problem.

Back in the 90's, when digital cameras just started to become affordable, there was a "race to the bottom" when it came to color printers, to capitalize on the idea of people being able to "print at home!" all these shitty 640x480 photos they were taking on their new digital cameras. Fast forward to the 00's, after years of Canon Camera+Printer bundles, HP Computer+Printer bundles, Etc, and we arrive at our familiar sub-$100 color inkjet printers. Capable of printing alright quality photos in your own home.

At first, the majority of problems stemmed from this cost-cutting race to the bottom. Cheap motors replacing proper steppers, inkjet heads that were utter shit at staying clean due to improper materials being used that held static charge and attracted dust and dirt, and machines that eschewed metal in EVERY component for the cheapest plastic one could injection mold and spring fit.
Then, as the market for "photo" printers began dying off, towards the end of the 00's, we started seeing the market we live in now. DRM cartridges, jacked up cartridge costs, and still the same sub-$100 printers. All to maintain profits that were expected of the market 10+ years ago.

During this race to the bottom, and subsequent rise to the "trapped in our ecosystem" enviro we have now, HP, Canon, Epson, and a couple other companies patented damn near every possible way one could reasonably build an inkjet printer. Not just mechanically, but firmware and software wise. The Digital->Analog imaging process of inkjet printing is absolutely OWNED by major companies, with no chance of anyone being able to "open-source" a solution.

With laser not offering good photo quality until the ultra-high-end, and inkjet basically being a walled garden of fuck, it'll be up to someone to implement a new color printing solution, before we can escape this consumer cycle, or a market crash.

I've got one of pic related, so I haven't needed a new printer for myself in ages, but I'm still pulled in to help a lot of friends, and local businesses with their decisions. Everybody is tempted by the $120 "good enough" HP or $150 "I might need to send a fax one day..." Canon, when I really just sit them down, and ask them "how much did you print last year?" and am nearly always told "Uhhhhhhh, not a lot." and ask them why they're shopping for a printer in the first place. It's like buying a Truck instead of a car, because "Hey, maybe in 5-6 years, I'll wanna re-do the fence, and there was that time a few months ago when I had to rent that uhaul to move the couch I bought because I didn't wanna pay delivery..." I tell them to either hold off on buying on, and rely on services for the few times a year they need one, or spend the extra cash on an office model/laser printer.
If you're a photographer, and want to sell prints you take of people, don't buy a printer until you're established. It'll be a waste of money until then. Use services. You're not gonna lose money paying Walgreens $5 to print a stack of 4x6 and 8x11 photos with their high-end dye-sublimation printer, when you resell those prints and sessions for $220.
If you're an artist, see above.
Unless your business/hobby revolves around paper, you probably don't need an at-home printer. Stop that American "home-on-the-ranch-I-don't-gotta-rely-on-nobody-DIY-Till-I-Die" bullshit. It's not the wild west anymore.

Attached: fsc5350dn_zoom_003.jpg (919x971, 83K)

faggot

Printing costs me nothing because I have a pen-plotter and use those free Ikea pencils with it.

No chance? Software patents are a burger thing, drop that market or give it inferior software and you are fine.

>wah, I need to know if muh operating system is 32bit or 64bit

Holy fuck. If it's not XP, it's 64bit.

This guy is such a gay retarded bitch. His logic makes no fucking sense. Its OK to sell printers at a 20% markup but not ink at a 20,000,000% markup? Where does the line lie that its ethical to sell something at, and how does somebody retarded enough to work full time in a call center think they know where it is? The answer of course is how much people are willing to pay for it. This would have been a much better video without the shitty retarded story and simply shill for laser printers instead

Your roommate was in the right, your friend is a retard

Wrong.

I bought an Epson inkjet printer in like 2001. And after running out of ink in a very short time and being faced with paying half the price of the printer for ink, I was told you had to use "original" inks in order to not damage the printer heads. I bought non-original and it worked just fine. But it had disappointing performance regardless and it was obvious that an HP laser printer where you could manually spoon feed it toner was so much better in every way. I get why people fell for these though, it's that low cost of entry. It's no excuse to keep feeding the machine though.

for the price of new ink cartridges you can literally buy a new printer with half full cartridges in side. Also check ebay you can buy ink kits for like 6 gbp

you can buy a new printer with cartridges for cheaper than buying cartridges kek

Print quality is fair enough for a consumer product. Only problem is you need to print something every week or it'll clog and you'll need to run nozzle cleaning.

If you're gonna use photo paper you'll also have to use some special kind. The generic brand resulted in ink pooling.

See

Generic photo papers can have all kinds of issues.

Looked up a few CISS ones and they have terrible reviews.

I would just get a high yield laser printer and replace it about as often.

Here is the one I'm currently getting, haven't been able to find anything convincingly better that is a multifunction:

amazon.com/Brother-MFCL2750DW-Monochrome-Wireless-Replenishment/dp/B0763X6TCW

>his printer is CISS
triggered

While you have a very good point, a big reason people are willing to pay so much for ink cartridges is because they don't know how printer manufacturers are playing dirty.

How to solve the consumer printer problem in 2 easy steps:

>1. Buy a black and white Brother printer that uses toners instead of cartridges for all your document printing needs
>2. Literally just go to Kinkos or your local print shop if you want pictures, it's cheaper than owning and maintaining a full color printer.

There, problem solved.

Attached: 00000000001.jpg (409x511, 99K)

. Literally just go to Kinkos or your local print shop if you want pictures, it's cheaper than owning and maintaining a full color printer.

Everybody fucking about forgets about this option. Black and white paper is pretty damn cheap. Color isn't too bad either.

Does the average consumer even print 20+ pages a week?

I never bothered buying a home printer because the cost of cartridges is insane, either that or you have to fork up a substantial amount when buying a printer. Nowadays I just use my local copy place or the printer at work.

I've been doing it since 2013 and have never had a problem. I'm even a normie with a wife and kids, so you would think I'd want more picture printouts therefore I'd need a color printer. Even if you get something like 100 5x7 full color glossy printed on photo paper, at Kinko's it's only like 30 or 40 bucks. That's like the cost of one fucking ink cartridge that will fail on you with half the ink still in the tank.

I think the great scam here is that companies have tricked consumers like us into believing that everyone NEEDS a color printer able to print full-color photos, when really it should be a service you occasionally pay for when you need it. Document printing, yeah you need that, but my Brother printer was $90 up front, and my toners last over a year on average with heavy document printing for taxes, business, etc. Plus, you can shake the toner around to get the last bit of ink out, and a replacement toner that will last another 1-2 years is only like $30.

Yeh this got a cheap brother laser printer, I'm still on original toner like 5 years later. I've gone over a year not using it, fire it back up prints just fine, no clogged nozzles or bullshit like inkjets.

Plus who the fuck prints anything other than black and white text documents anyway?

If you buy the manufacturers ink current prices average over $5000 USD per litre
that is about $2500 per US Liquid pint
3rd party inks cost less but will soon clog up your printer with shit

INK PRINTERS ARE A SCAM ! you are better off buying a laser printer

>I own a 1950's TVset

What about CIS? Continuos Ink System

Not a valid comparison at all, try again.

What are you printing that needs to be in color?

Did exactly this.

Cannon 4500.

Biggest piece of shit I ever owned. Also manual refilling is messy and time consuming. Literally the autistic solution.

Buy a laser printer you fucking tard.

>Hey guys just posting my own vid

>Can I use your roommates resources?
>"Sure, pal!"
>Proceeds to complain that roommate got angry about wasting his ink

You're a fucking retard.

you don't need to print anything
stop
get some help

>t. NEET

It's only a scam for consumers.
I own a large format printer and the ink is not that expensive.
The paper on the other hand...

>The paper on the other hand...
what's wrong with the paper? i can buy 500 papers for like 5 euros or something

Large format rolls of photo paper are like $500
Literally zero point in printing on regular printer paper with inkjet, just use laser.

oh shit i didn't read that properly

It's all good.
I should probably mention I do prints semi-professionally to recoup costs. I have a good number of friends who are artists and I run off prints for them to sell.

No.
Color lasers are expensive and I need color.

I can buy refilled cartridges for less than half the price of the normal ones, refill them myself several times before they give out with these refill kits that cost about $1 per color for 3~5 refills and then buy new refilled cartridges when the print heads fuck off in 6-8 months.

It's stupid cheap and easy. If you're making a mess when refilling your cartridges then you're just incompetent.