/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: 3dcard.jpg (609x800, 152K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/v9gjcY
pcpartpicker.com/list/CDZm8Y
pcpartpicker.com/list/v6QQV6
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ygnqkd
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

lmao why you nigs need this shit

Lmao neck yourself

What's the best linux-compatible wifi dongles that won't cost more than $30? I see some on amazon but I dunno if I can do better.

how do i deal with my country having a build being 500 dollars compared to if i build in america

Take a road trip

OP isn't updated, 1050ti is now like $300.
R.I.P. PC building. It has gone down the shitter.
This month has been extremely bad for PC building.

I want to build a NAS. Budget for CPU/mobo is maybe $200-$225.

I'd like a CPU that's not vulnerable to meltdown and is low power, and a motherboard that I can use with 4+ drives, with a serial port if possible. It'll be run headless.

Any recommendations?

>stupid question time
bought new ram it kept causing pfn_list_corrupt. ran it through memtest and had a thousand errors. should i get it replaced or is there a way of "saving" it?

Also interested in a UPS that supports USB Power Device HID, so the NAS can shut down cleanly when there's a power outage.

I'm planning to put another fan on my case, I'm considering either putting an intake on the side or an exhaust up top. I can also put another intake fan in front but it would blow directly on my hard drive cage so it might not be the most optimal for overall airflow. Where should I put another fan?

My case is a CoolerMaster N200, so right now I've just got one intake in front and one exhaust at the back.

I am 99% certain that if ram gets fucked, there's no way to unfuck it.

RMA it if possible
its fucked

A fan with reasonably high static pressure (e.g. Noctua, Corsair SP) should be able to overcome the drive cage
On the side would probably be best for CPU temps

i dont know if there is anything that you can get in that pricerange that isnt vulnerable to meltdown, at least not that supports ecc and headless. best bet would be trying to find a b350 or a320 that supports ecc and using a 2200g i would thing, afaik ecc still works there.
maybe some of the new ryzen embeded stuff, if theres any consumer gear available.

>years ago I spent a huge amount of money on an i7
>convinced myself with "this will last me so much longer because I'm ahead of the tech curve"
>
>that was 2008
>it was an i7-920
>approaching 10 years old
>still see no reason to upgrade

fuck yea, teenage me made a damn good choice

if nothing else just drop in a $30 x5650 in there, have yourself a cooler chip at comparable clocks, with an extra 2 cores
x58 is a stupid good platform

ok, scratch this I think.

Any of you guys have experience with Powerline adapters or MoCAs? Are they effective?

Is 1080p really too little for 27''? I'm thinking of Lenovo Y27f specifically.

What would you prefer - A H115i on the top exhaust or a H150i on the front intake and normal fans exhaust?

I want to buy a Crystal 570X, go full RGB and get rid of the shitty Intel hardware soon. I may install my Phenom I hardware with the 1080 Ti if I run out of money just for the trolling factor. The aimed CPU is a 2700X, but it seems my 5820K isn't worth as much anymore. I'll better sell it before its worthless.

Attached: DSC_0084.jpg (3840x2160, 2.72M)

The plan - I'm currently exhausting the GPU heat through my top mounted 240 radiator. With a 360 I could only choose to exhaust the GPUs heat through the front or blow the CPUs hot air into the case - Which will be probably less because it has a lower TDP and almost never runs at 100 % while the GPU is on 100 %.

Attached: plan.jpg (2413x1568, 171K)

yes

360mm aio are a meme, save you money and get a 115, especially with ryzen since it isnt a raging housefire, that'll be plenty even for the phenom

Attached: BF3D2000.jpg (3264x2448, 963K)

Thanks, I guess I'll go with a side-mounted fan, the reason I'm installing another fan is because I plan to overclock my Ryzen 3 1200.

I have a H100i currently. But its faulty and needs to be RMAd, so I will probably sell it.

What do I get for this case, fans, the H100 and mainboard+CPU? I expect 400-500 €.

I will buy the new case and AIO first, then maybe buy a X470 PRO and wait for the next month to buy the CPU. I have another build with a Ryzen 1700, so I can survive a few weeks without a big PC.

Attached: speccy.jpg (1100x815, 88K)

AIOs in general are a meme because they are worse than every other form of cooling

It started to make weird noises. Are the new Corsair Hydro series better? Mine is a H100i GTX v2, already RMAd the second time.

Which forms do you mean? I have one because its look decent and can keep a 5820K @1.4 V under 70°. Also direct exhaust of the heat.

im not sure what the market is like over in euroland. stateside x99+5820k usually about 400 bucks, but im not sure if thats what they end up selling for. all said and done I think you can probably manage 400 easily for all of that, but idk about what the used market is like where you are.

Air (dual tower) beats it in noise and temps up to 280mm
Custom water beats it in noise and temps always (copper > aluminum)

I guess they're better than phase change and mineral oil because those aren't practical

I've seen people selling 5820Ks for 150 €, but thats rare. So I'm aiming at least 350 € for cpu and board. A 8700K is 310 € here.
I know, but air looks shitty and unfortunately I didn't win the lottery to afford a custom loop. I'll be spending more than 400 € on the case, fans and hydro cooler alone.

The H100 is almost silent when it works properly. I'll replace it with ML fans, they cost 30 € per piece, but are dead silent and have RGB. They can turn off lights which my current fans can't.

I'll agree that air doesn't look very good, which is probably why most people get AIOs.

I doubt that any air solution could beat a AIO except of the biggest ones, like the Dark Rock 4. The only thing that makes noise is the pump, you can change the fans, but the newer generations pumps are almost silent. I run them in "silent" profile using Corsair Link which throttles the pump.

I have an AMD A4-4000 3.15 Gh and Radeon HD 7480D (built in) and 2GB of RAM, i want to upgrade my gpu to run source games at high but i can oly afford 60~bucks cards, and i dont know which get, recomendations please.

That's why I said dual tower, which have more surface area than 280mm.
Switching the fans is cheating in a comparison because you could manipulate anything at that point such as not having fans at all and going for passive cooling which the air cooler would always lose in

Only thing at that price range brand new is a GT 1030, which I normally wouldn't recommend, but it should handle source games at high settings no problem, and maybe some triple A games at low to medium settings.

Otherwise, in today's GPU market, if you want a bit more power, I'd advise buying maybe a second-hand Kepler card like a 750Ti. Even the secondhand market has big price fluctuations nowadays too, so better look hard for a good deal.

Maybe saving up a bit for the 780 Ti, but otherwise you're better off getting an APU.

I would get a 2200G.

He owns an A4-4000 though, which is an FM2 socket CPU.

Is that a giant ram stick? with only 256mb ram?

It's bitchin fast

It's video. It's bitchin' fast and 3D, 2000 times over.

pcpartpicker.com/list/v9gjcY

This computer will allow me to do many things I think and will be a massive upgrade compared to my current PC.

>650W
Complete overkill for those specs. Unless you're really planning to shove some high end shit in there throughout the years, you can easily settle for 500W and shave off a few dollars.

Yeah you're right. Do you have any suggestions for the Mobo as well?

Rather get a gtx 1060 3gb or 6gb. It's 70% more powerful than that gpu and only like 20% more. think about it. Plus it means your gpu will be relevant for longer(futureproofing)

Anyone else surprised with that ram price? $170 for 16gb 3200mhz? Are prices droppin or something?

650 W is decent, if he plans to upgrade later. I would recommend a Seasonic Prime. I'm not sure if there are 550 W versions.

Could be, Samsung announced 10nm RAM last year, increased productions and lower costs. Lets hope for it

Also higher speeds

The FOCUS 650 is currently cheaper than the 550 so I would consider it a score

wtf is wrong with hwinfo? The vcore reading is totally fucked.

Attached: Untitled.png (1139x679, 85K)

oh yeah, should I be worried about those 100+ degrees temps?

Seems so. Can you tell me if this package temp is critical? The CPU seems to be normal. Internet says some Ryzen package temps are bugged and 20° over the actual value.

Attached: temps.jpg (975x1200, 151K)

I don't know anything about ryzen sorry

>bugged and 20° over the actual value.
It's not a bug. it's how they measure for some reason

Should I worry about it? I repasted the CPU with the stock Wraith thing, it runs around 80° under load in a shitty mATX case. 3.8 GHz is a lot of horsepower

>it runs around 80°
well then technically its 60 degrees. If it's under load that's fine. If not you've probably messed up the thermal paster application and should reapply it. You know about air bubbles and all.

No, the package says over 100°. The CPU cores are around 80. So I'm wondering. On my Haswell-E CPU the package and CPU temps are the same.

I honestly dont know but the highest my i5-4440 has ever been is 80 degrees celsuis and its got 5 year old dried up thermal paste and stock coolers so i think you should be concerned. can't help you though (google is your friend)

The power brick inside my computer got fried by connecting it into a foreign outlet. Is it just a matter of replacing it to have the computer working again or did the whole thing get fucked?

Hello, I'm unknowledgeable about PCs and looking for advice.
I was originally going to buy a cheap $200 2015 Toshiba Satellite for video editing and PC gaming (old games like Deus Ex, Theif, Morrowind, and new stuff like indie shit and low spec games in general), but after some laptop browsing and a chat with a friend, I went down the rabbit hole of looking up info on the Ryzen 5 2400G and am garnering interest in building a PC. Watched a couple vids and browsed PC Part Picker & New Egg, but I'm left conflicted. On one hand, the Ryzen seems like such an exciting opportunity for me to get into building a PC since there are slightly cheaper builds that use just the Ryzen and no graphics cards, however since I'm stupid about these sorts of things I find myself nervous that I'll be getting into something that could potentially be overwhelming to manage in the future, if that makes sense, I don't know how to explain it. Like it looks really good now, but later I'm going to have to worry about a bunch of things or something down the line, idk, maybe I'm just overthinking this.
I think what caused this thought process was that there doesn't seem to be motherboards, or not many atm, that directly support the Ryzen out of the box and require a BIOS update to use it. Seems like a minor hassle, but again I just get really nervous about these sorts of things.

TL;DR
Should I bother going down the route of building a Ryzen focused PC build?
Do I wait to see what happens support and pricing wise?
Do I just get a laptop instead?
Also, if it matters, my budget currently is around >$600~.
Yes I'm poor.

Attached: funny_computer_monitor.jpg (450x483, 86K)

Wait for x470 since many of the ryzen 1 flaws should be fixed

If it still is shit then go intel even though it is expensive

Sadly intel 8700K is undeniably a beast processor despite the shitty company behind it

Worst time in history (so far) to build a pc and everyone literally must have a new pc now.

Worse is the fags who could have upgraded one or two years ago from their stone aged pcs but decided that this was the most appropriate time for it.

Attached: 1517610062596.jpg (280x309, 42K)

But what about "wait for Ryzen/wait for Vega"?

If you're lucky and/or had a good PSU, it's possible that only the PSU is damaged. But it's impossible to say for sure.

Wait for Navi. Wait for Ryzen 2.

Attached: 1500439707587.jpg (420x515, 33K)

>I want to buy a Crystal 570X, go full RGB and get rid of the shitty Intel hardware soon.
Fuck outta here faggot

Agree

I mean, that's what exactly led to that situation.

Your a bigger faggot than him.

>cryptos crashed across all board
>GPU price still not going down
>Retailers GPU sold out in less than 30 min after restocking

Attached: 1458275444652.jpg (700x700, 68K)

Impossible

these people are dumb, my Enermax TR360 has gotten my 180w 1950x Threadripper down to 16*C and full tilt load temps rarely exceed 45*C. only people who knock AIOs are poorfags who can't afford them.

>not understanding the cryptofags are like a cult
blame the hodl shilling. no matter how far the market drops, across all coins these fuckers are gonna keep going, even if it costs them money in some cases because they """know""" it will come back up

where is a 1050ti 300 bucks lol crypto is tanking I've seen them on local CL for 150 bucks BNIB

>16c
do you live in siberia? why is your home 16c?

My roommatr used to use powerline for gaming because it worked better than wifi. I beleive it adds like 3ms ping or something not noticable like that

>Not turn down your heater to save electricity, enjoying a comfy hoody and blanket, preserve sperm count and improve gaming performance
>Not liking cold weather
Hello Pajeet

I really hope i can upgrade mt gtx 970 to volta at msrp. Any news on when volta releases?

>pajeet
>only place where its warm
try Tennessee, faggot. also
>cant afford to keep heat on
>calls others pajeet
>preserves sperm count
like you'll ever even talk to a girl nerd

>Talk to girl
Like telling them show bob and vagene right, Pajeet?

the day after you cave and buy a 1080ti
seriously though, why would nvidia rush to bring volta out? they have 0 reason to. all of their cards sell as fast as they can make them, and amd is 20-30% behind in performance in the consumer sector, further in enterprise

We did it to see how cold the 360 could get my chip and at the time we had the AC vent blowing right down onto the case and all the case fans cranked up. On average my idle temps are around 20 to 22 any other day which is still pretty fucking cold.

Realistically, those load temps are what really matters if you can go full tilt and not break 50*C that's some serious heat dissipation capacity, supposedly the TR360 is rated for over 500w.

>still hung up on pajeet
Like I said try again faggot, I'm not the curry nigger that sexually harassed whatever piece of ass you're too afraid to talk to

Attached: 20180319_084418.jpg (4032x3024, 2.06M)

i dont think that the TR aio are necessarily representative of all aio though. the IHS is so large on TR that theres a larger area to spread the heat, and those aio are made for one cpu and one cpu only. obviously they'll perform well
im not saying that aio dont perform, but i dont really see the point. Either go air and suffer 3-5c higher temps, or save for another paycheck and go custom. you can do a custom loop for 300 more or less these days

Eww you got poo under your fingernails. That's disgusting Pajeet.

>hes grasping at straws now

Hey guys, I'm gonna upgrade my gpu this week to a 1060 3gb
What cpu should I go for?
8th gen is outta my budget since z370 is pretty expensive

Attached: 653238806571.jpg (380x141, 37K)

wait for zen+ in like 3 weeks, or wait for h series board and go h360 and 8400
or realistically, wait for both. you'll be fine with that cpu and gpu, and at this point it isnt a just wait meme, its literally just 3 weeks

>prebuilts are overpriced
Why aren't you competing with Dell, HP and Lenovo then?
You'd be making millions!

They need to releaw volta to get people on maxwell to upgrade like me

One of the big reasons I went AIO is there were pretty much no air coolers worth a shit when I bought my Threadripper last year, I bought it like a month after it came out and all there was available was a shitty Noctua that was barely rated for 180w and didn't cover the whole chip, a custom loop block which didn't even cover the whole chip either and this TR360

It was 140 bucks when I bought it which for me is chump change but it's worth saving up for if you are on the TR4 platform. I may have looked at other options had I been on an Intel board but at the time the TR360 was the best thing out there bar none. I don't regret my purchase at all.

My buddy has the same board and chip I have on a custom loop and his temps are within a couple degrees of mine and he paid 500 bucks for his custom loop setup and it's not even cooling the GPU.

>pic related, my 360 rad

Attached: 4.jpg (540x960, 53K)

Not a great time to get into it, but if you don't have a PC, build it anyway. Like what said, it's best to wait for Ryzen 2 and the newer motherboards that are based on it in the coming months. Considering your budget is $600 though, and you just play low-end game you might be happy with just a Ryzen 2200G or 2400G with integrated graphics. Just wait for the newer motherboards that are compatible with it like those with the X470 or B450 chipsets. Google how to overclock it and you should be golden.

Assuming you have a monitor, keyboard and mouse I'd go for this
pcpartpicker.com/list/CDZm8Y
If you don't this would be a little overbudget but you could get the 2200G to save a few bucks
pcpartpicker.com/list/v6QQV6
As for the motherboard you can get it updated in person when you buy it or look for one with pic related, the ones that are updated in Newegg are all Asrock so I would avoid them

Attached: jpwe7dcc.jpg (800x600, 265K)

How is this?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ygnqkd

I already have a GPU but I plan to add a 6GB 1060 a bit later, or maybe a different GPU once Ampere (or whatever they are calling it) launches.

I already have a Hyper 212, I take it that it wouldn't be good enough for a 8600K?

I'm only gaming btw.

Attached: IMG_1035.jpg (680x455, 51K)

why the fuck am I getting a worse score in 3dmark after I overclock??

Attached: shot3.png (1496x1091, 59K)

I would get the Z370XP or the ROG Strix Z370-H so at least you get heatsinks and the 620 EVO for a little more

your score increased almost 2000 points user what are you on about

Just picked up an evga 100 to SC black edition for 600 Canadian pesos...did I do good?

6966 vs 6953