Install Linux

>install Linux
>waste a whole hour hunting around for audio codecs and drivers in the kernel
>install pulseaudio because Firefox
>2 hours later audio works

>install freeBSD
>audio works

Why is freeBSD so much better Sup Forums ?

Attached: 076.jpg (540x720, 38K)

for what purpose
>install pulseaudio because Firefox
>2 hours later audio works
it took you 1 hour to install pulseaudio?

Just get win10 my man

Do you install arch or something, because there's a lot of GNU/Linux distros, that has everything preinstalled.

I've had more or less the same problems on Debian, Void, Arch and Gentoo.

Stop installing hobbyist distros if computers aren't your hobby you fucking mongoloid

How did you come to the wonderful conclusion that computers aren't my hobby you braindead nigger?

>install a hobbyist distro for people who enjoy tinkering
>it's widely known you have to do everything yourself with it
>complain it doesn't work out of the box
????

you wrote 7 wrong

You don't have to install Linux to see what it's kernel contains. Just check the source.

You wrote ReactOS wrong

It took him an hour to figure out Firefox requires PulseAudio.

My problem is not that it doesn't work out of the box, my problem is that I have to do a whole bunch of shit after setting up ALSA and PA because they are a pile of shit and try to use my HDMI port to output audio by default.
Also, the fix to my audio problem is not the same every time. I had a Gentoo kernel with working audio and documented the steps I took to get audio to work; after installing Gentoo again on the same hardware with said kernel and following the same steps, audio did not work. This is not tinkering with my computer, this is just an unnecessary pain in the ass.

you need an immutable distro like NixOS or GuixSD then you know that your system will look exactly the same.

you're complaing about having to do autistic shit when you chose to install gentoo. you could have installed a ubuntu and used pavucontrol to change audio output in 5 minutes.

>gentoo
>hobbiest distro
Brainlet detected

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1482851898718.jpg (300x300, 34K)

99.999% of people won't run gentoo in their enterprise environment, so yes, I can savely say it's a hobbyist distro

Again, I'm not complaining about having to do "autistic shit". I'm complaining about the fact that I have to randomly throw shit at ALSA until something sticks and it decides to work. I even had the same problem on Ubuntu when I started using Linux.

It's only because you don't understand what you're doing because you seemingly don't care about what's going on. Again: don't install a distro for autists and complain about it being special because you're too dumb to figure shit out

GNU/Linux*

>Why is freeBSD so much better
now now, let's not go overboard. Just because linux has reached meme status doesn't mean it isn't a clusterfuck with low standards. If other unix OSes didn't do a better job than Linux at basic shit, then something would be horribly wrong.

Attached: file.jpg (1300x804, 161K)

How dense are you? I understand what I'm doing and I do care about what's going on. Are you trying to say that ALSA having a different problem EVERY. SINGLE. TIME I install it is the way it's supposed to be?

install pavucontrol retard, it's literally the only good thing that came out of pulseaudio

>debian
>hobbist distro
found the retard

You have nothing to blame but yourself if you install a bare debian-netinstall as your desktop system without knowledge about how to make it work

I've installed Debian and Fedora multiple times, firefox and audio has worked flawlessly out of the box including bluetooth audio so idk wtf you're talking about

Chrome OS, which all Chromebooks run, is based off Chromium OS, which is based off Gentoo.

But it's made by people who know their shit, the user doesn't has to set it up himself

you're obviously either a dumbass with no idea what he's doing or just baiting (You)'s
either way it's pathetic

you're retarded

>I've had more or less the same problems on Debian
I'm about 101% sure it wasn't the nonfree ISO with full install instead of netinstall. That shit works like a dream for all my three computers (desktop, server, laptop).

No Richard, it's just Linux

Guys, while a lot of this might be complete autism, I personally think that in this day and age, calling it GNU/Linux actually has some real meaning. There is this little thing called Android, and it uses the Linux kernel, but the rest of the components are non-GNU. Some are even proprietary! However, I have seen normies make the dangerously misleading claim that "Android is Linux!" It technically is, as it uses the Linux Kernel, but it shares nothing else with GNU/Linux distros, particularly their respect for your freedoms.
Because of this, we should say GNU/Linux, so as not to confuse it with the botnet that is Android, or other such projects. By saying GNU/Linux, we make it clear that yes, we are using Linux, but we are also using Free Software.

retarded b8 with full of logical fallacy
There is a message for that when FF don't find pulseaudio.

>I understand what I'm doing
No, it's painfully obvious at this point that you don't.