/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

>Linux related Read >search
ddg.gg/lite

redirect new friends creating their own threads with >previous
>irc
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=sqt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/sqt

Attached: wayland-screenshot-or8.png (250x250, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN/dp/B01LQQHLGC/
amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STEB8000100/dp/B01HAPGEIE/
amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQQHLGC/
amazon.com/Red-8TB-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B01BYLY4DM/
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Attached_SCSI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If god is almighty can he create a rock so heavy, not even he can lift it?
Or a riddle so complex, not even he can solve it? Either case he is not almighty then...

>windows commandline is so shit it doesnt even have SSH
why?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1521276633044.jpg (480x640, 63K)

Why do I need to turn off my VPN before some trackers work? And why do some stop working when I turn it back on? Is it qbit or are some trackers just assholes?

Attached: a9161e912ae69fe0b8ace8f8fd0c829aa14da1280bdd9b7b4872f3e89ce89c61.gif (320x320, 353K)

What, if anything, is the difference between HTPC software like kodi/plex/playon and much simpler options like mediatomb/minidlna/universalmediaserver?

I just switch to kubuntu from w7 and am looking to replace my serviio install with something free (prefer open source). I prefer gui management and options like transcode (although not 100% necessary), and this is my normal desktop and not a dedicated media server. Looking for "just werks", more than worried about minimal/bloat, but right now I wouldnt be using advanced features like dvr/tv tuner shit/etc, but might play around with more advanced options if they exist in the future like internet streaming. Like current support. Technically all I need right now is a DLNA server though so pretty basic on actual needs.

I googled the question but got unsatisfactory answers. Is one or the other better for any specific reasons or any specific uses?

I have an ASUS z370i mobo, and it's shitting me to tears. All devices randomly disconnect for a few seconds after I boot, sometimes it takes ages to boot, Skype can't find my microphone. I noticed that there's a BIOS update, but I think that's going to fuck up my RAID 0 and 1 setups. If I save my BIOS settings, will updating the BIOS deleted the save file? Is there a way to save them offline?

Hello I would like to hire one of you to install your spyware on my desktop and eliminate the spyware I recieved from a shady anime website. Does that sound reasonable?

Sup Forums X on firefox
how do i fix this

Attached: appx.gif (1912x885, 2.84M)

Don't expect anything good or right from microsoft.

Between amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN/dp/B01LQQHLGC/ and amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STEB8000100/dp/B01HAPGEIE/ which do you think is a better buy? Is the WD one worth $20 more if it's gonna be more reliable or use a higher quality drive inside or something? Honestly not sure if Seagate drives even have a reputation for failure anymore, in my experience it seems to be kind of a crapshoot no matter what brand you get but figured I'd ask.

>Tried Sup Forums X several times in firefox
>always ends up giving me issues like blocking me from making threads
whats up with it?

So after spectre&meltdown, are libre/corebooted+me cleaner thinkpads still as secure ?
also for security should I go for c2,c2d instead of i7 let's say

I have a machine with one harddrive and windows 7 on it. Is it a lot of hassle to repartition a part of it without losing data and setup dual boot with a linux distro?
What tools should I look for?

Not really. Just boot up a liveUSB with GParted on it you can pretty trivially shrink the partition and make a new one after it

What would they do if I actually spent $70 for the "expert installation" for an external hard drive anyway? Just come in and plug it into one of my USB slots for me?

Just found out my shitty 5yo laptop has a seagate SSHD. How woried should I be?

Attached: 1520689388850.jpg (337x372, 17K)

Since there's no longer /hsg/ in this board, I'll ask here.

My old home server died (it was some old computer). Since I no longer have old shit to use as home server I thought about buying a dedicated machine for my shit.

Intended use : mumble, downloading shit, saving all my shit, music and video streaming, web hosting (only for personal stuff or friends). FTP server for my friends in case they want some place to store their shit and stream them.

What should I look for ? I still haven't decided on the budget, but I don't want to waste more than 500€ (not counting the HDD).

Also what's a good case, silent, with at least 4 HDD slots ?

>$70 for the "expert installation" for an external hard drive
some people should be burnt

meant to

Dumb question, I bought a USB soundcard for my speakers but I have two outputs in sound.

Both output sound and have the same options but which one should I be using?

Attached: Sound.png (371x198, 12K)

Please point to in the OP.
Thank you.

How do I become a certified expert external HDD installer?

I heard Nvidia is bringing out new 2000s GPUs next month. But I couldn't for shit find the specs or price range.
Is anything known about this?

what version of iOS provides the best balance of speed and features on this piece of junk with a timeless design

Attached: A1387.jpg (3264x2448, 1.53M)

Is it better if I download ebooks as epub and then convert to azw3 and delete the epub or if I download ebooks as mobi?
Only going to read on Kindle PW2 BTW

Lineage Nougat. Oreo a shit.

I'm a 4s though

I mean you're basically just paying to get the guy out to your house. Obviously they're not gonna drive out there for only $5-10 bucks even if the work they'd do would be something super trivial and easy.

Amazon just kind of automatically adds those options to certain categories even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense anyway, I remember seeing an extended warranty option for a pack of microfiber cleaning cloths before for example

Buy an old samsung tablet for like ~80-120$ and install lineage on it

this is my old iPhone, already have a 6
I tried repurposing it somehow by downgrading it to 6.1.2, but that's like using Win95 in today's age

Didn't ask virgin

Can I have two monitors connected together with DP cable but on the second monitor end have DP - > HDMI reduction and still apply daisy-chaining?
The second monitor has only HDMI input.

how do I stop steam from forcing network usage when installing from dvd drive? it refuses to let me install offline and when I do it online it rapes my data

>tfw you're question is to intelligent for /sqt/

why does android destroy activity on rotate

a foss app to start a samba server on Android? need to mount my phone on my Linux server somehow

Help?

Attached: screenshot_2018-03-19_20:11:08.png (828x261, 47K)

add that domain to ublock whitelist

Why does android at all?

'Cause Windows isn't really meant to use the command line.

Is getting a WD over Seagate worth spending an extra 20 bucks or are they pretty much the same reliability wise these days?

I don't see anything broken.

Sup Forums X is slow.

What's the best way to copy most of the contents off my second HDD onto my main HDD so I can then format it?
Select the big folders and Copy/Paste somewhere onto the main?

freeFileSync

Are there any recommended settings for qBittorrent to reduce I/O errors when seeding from an external hard drive?

Had to switch to it in a hurry when uTorrent got blacklisted from a bunch of trackers, never had those problems there so it's not just my hard drives being fucky or something. With qBit I hear random "hardware disconnected" chimes all the time along with sometimes absolutely spamming my notification tab with like a thousand notifications if I don't hurry up and pause the torrent immediately, slowing the whole thing down so much that I can't access my notifications at all or dismiss them until I restart my computer

greasemonkey?

I'd run crystaldiskinfo on the drive, and maybe try another USB port. Deluge should also work on most trackers.

There are cache settings under advanced. Though if flushing no later than 60s is an issue, you got a problem of sorts, like maybe running the drive off a busy USB2 controller?

Attach that external drive to USB3 with UAS instead, that should work.

Linux live USB, use rsync.

It'll also avoid issues with Windows permissions and "especially" protected folders and such.

Ok guys, can someone give me a quick rundown on Windows 10 resource usage vs Windows 7? I haven't touched my deskotp since 2012 when I built it, and over the years it's gotten more and more crap built up in it to the point where it's time to back up my data and start fresh with the OS. I figured, hey, why not go with Windows 10 LTSB? That's the version without all the bullshit right? But then I started digging.

First of all, I always see that 10 uses less resources than 7 just to exist, but I don't think that's true. I installed LTSB on a laptop to test it out, and it's using 1.3gb of RAM without anything else going on. Meanwhile 7 on my desktop is sitting pretty at 900mb.

Also, Windows 10 just seems more sluggish and slower than 7. I press Windows+E to open up explorer in 7, and it's instant. I do the same in 10 and it takes 1-2 seconds just to come up. What the fuck? Why are basic OS things lagging like this? I found out that Windows had to integrate all this search indexing into explorer in 10, so I go in and disable the Windows search process, but then I'm reading that you want to leave search on as it will slow down if you disable it. I also turned on "for best performance" in all the advanced settings and there's still a lot of lag around explorer.

This isn't just because I have shitty hardware on my test laptop btw, I have a business class notebook for work with win10 (not LTSB) with an i7 and 16gb of RAM, and sometimes when I try to bring up explorer it lags for several seconds which is completely unacceptable.

So basically my question is twofold:

1. Is there some guide or something somewhere that anyone knows about to help speed up Windows 10? All the normal performance tweaks in 7 aren't working here.

2. Are the under the hood kernal improvements to 10 worth me upgrading my desktop? I read that I'll have to upgrade my BIOS to UEFI too, which is sure to be a pain in the ass.

Thank you for your time.

Attached: 1 (50).png (800x800, 75K)

Problem is I couldn't get the Deluge import script to work properly and failed for about half of my torrents, I actually was in communication with the developer of the script and he said he found what could be the problem so if he updates his script and fixes it I'll probably switch to that. For now kind of stuck to qBit since I don't want to manually reselect paths for 600~ torrents one by one

Already have it set to auto, 450s, you recommend I change this?

Windows OS.
I guess I'll give this a try.

Could be better to flush more often in case you let a lot of data accumulate otherwise, but it's really hard to say without any disk write metrics or anything.

What about just attaching it to USB3 with UAS? That usually helps a lot.

>Windows OS.
That's exactly why you'd use a Linux Live USB to copy the data.

On Linux you'd do it with native tools, but on Windows you're better off with Linux. Don't have to deal with the silly bits where Windows' own protections, the antivirus, and a lot more may lead to an incomplete copy or an abort after you copied half the drive.

>I read that I'll have to upgrade my BIOS to UEFI to
Both impossible and unnecessary.

If you don't need the windows store for anything, I wouldn't bother with 10. Hell, even after 7 security support ends I'd just move to 8.1 with classicshell. Windows 10 just fucks with too much that wasn't broken. If you're buying a new rig then there's potentially a little to gain from it, but your hardware was created with 7 in mind.

It's a great time to toss in an SSD though if you haven't already.

So i changed some global hotkeys in Potplayer the other day, today i load it up again and the saved settings are all gone. Is there a permanent workaround for this or do i really have to edit it manually every time after reboot

can anyone post good dvd ripping software options I can torrent?

I experience really crazy ping spikes at home, and I dont know how to test the source. How would I be able to tell if its the router, the ISP, or something else?

Is there a separated Firefox site exclusive for Firefox ESR extensions?

1. turn off all the fancy effects in Advanced system properties
2. I love Win7 but it doesn't copy files as fast. I'm running the day 1 version of Win10 though, and while it's great, a lot of the features got assfucked since I turned off the updates.

getting an SSD will help your case if you want the best out of 10. guessing the extra telemetry + ads make it run like ass if you're running on less than optimal hardware

I'm having a huge memory leak (W10 Family, pls no bully), but when I reboot the system (not turn off, then turn on again ; only when I reboot), it's gone. Then when I turn off the computer, then turn it on again, it's back. After the 3rd time I turn off and on my computer, I'm at 100% RAM used. Pic related is after turning on the computer one time.

I used Norton Power Eraser and Malwarebytes' Antimalware : nothing found.

What do ? Clean Install (I wouldn't prefer) ?

Attached: Task Manager1.png (824x593, 50K)

It's a drive in an old shitty USB2 enclosure, so I imagine it's the enclosure's fault, maybe I'll try to rearrange some files and put that stuff somewhere better but then I have to find something to take up space on the shitty drive or feel anxious it's sitting unused...

Just use FOSS handbrake. IDK if there's a torrent of it.

How come external hard drives tend to be cheaper than the exact same drive sold without the external enclosure?

Attached: Task Manager2.png (824x593, 31K)

wasted quads

No. Eventually mozilla will probably stop hosting them, then somebody else will probably try to clone the old library.

They're not going to bother simplifying any of it when ESR support ends in a couple months anyway. You can search from about:addons though. It'll only list compatible results.

bamp

Attached: raspberry-pi-vs-banana-pi-iperf.png (794x435, 11K)

Well, there are more options. BiglyBT / Vuze has a lot more configurables, for instance.

But frankly, I myself would (well, I did) order some decent USB3 enclosure or dock and fix the issue that way.

Marketing powers.

I think external drives are bought mainly by people who really only care about x GB and price, whereas the internal drives are bought according to model and can be upmarketed with a lineup of progressively more expensive models. Of course it's cheapest to then just use a decent model in the enclosures for mass production & warranty reasons?

Where do you live user ? It's the contrary where I live.
These cheaper external hard drives are probably shitty HDDs compared to the internal HDDs.

Well for example I was considering buying amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQQHLGC/ which has amazon.com/Red-8TB-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B01BYLY4DM/ inside it according to someone in reviews who took it apart apparently. I know Backblaze has said they often get their drives from external enclosures that they disassembled as well.

Thanks, interesting perspective. I thought 10 was an under the hood upgrade across the board, but if it performs worse on my hardware it isn't worth it. Do you know of a legitimate activator for 7? Does the Microsoft Toolkit work for it? Part of the reason I'm thinking about cleaning house is that windows has finally flagged my copy of 7 as not genuine, and I don't have the energy to go comb through the updates again and manually remove whatever update found it out.

I do have an SSD that the OS runs on, but it's only 64gb and it's been a war of attrition as 7 gets bigger and bigger trying to save space on it. I need to just bite the bullet and buy a 128gb but I've been trying to save money so I can't justify the purchase.

Yeah so LTSB doesn't have ads, the Windows Store, Cortana, or any of that fucking garbage, thank god. I think it does still have the telemetry, but I read something called Disable Windows 10 tracking can help with that.

I didn't think about 8.1 with ClassicShell. I might go with that.

Oh.. I had no idea what that is. It seems really complicated desu

Adding another question to this, I've connected my headphones into the side of the external soundcard and the audio is strange and quiet, songs are missing the vocal channel.

I've gone through every setting I can think of and tried re-installing it all, the only odd thing that I can spot is when I test speakers I'm getting left and right channels in both ears and also the back speakers.

I've used all the headphone modes and it doesn't change too much.

Is OS installed on external SSD connected via USB 3.0 usable?

>to intelligent
if you're only going to use a kindle then it makes no sense to get epubs. get the books on the native kindle format so you don't need to do any conversions, which often introduce formatting errors

I'm running Fedora off a normal USB3 stick on my home server; it's not any problem.

Should be the same for SSD. Try to get UAS on that, too..

pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

Daz Loader is for 7. Updates won't be a problem once it's activated. Larger SSDs tend to perform a little better, but 64gb is doable, depending on how old it is. You can relocate your desktop and My Documents folders to an HDD save space. You can also symlink any large folders that don't benefit from being on an SSD.

Utilities to disable telemetry in windows 10 are very limited. They only access the 1/3 of telemetry that home/pro users can turn off in their settings. On LTSB/Enterprise/Education you want to go into group policy and disable telemetry there manually.

UAS?

come on man that was the most sarcastic post ever, how do people still fall for this shit? Fucking redditors I swear.

Linux is. With windows you have to set it up as WinToGo, or at least hack a normal install to work over USB, which I wouldn't recommend.

what can I say, you got me. congratulations

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Attached_SCSI

You can basically see that and USB3 as "the things that make USB attached drives perform quite well". Without either, usually it's not that great.

I was thinking about converting from a virtualbox disk

any good linux alternatives to this?

Attached: serveimage.png (1200x1170, 20K)

PS: Connecting to SATA directly is still better. It's just not really bad on UAS and USB3. Should suffice in most cases.

I don't know, what is it?
I dont mean the name, what does it do?

Everything is better than Adobe Air. A txt file with no links is better. Because at least people will probably view it.

The general idea is to edit HTML and Javascript though, maybe run the whole thing on a server-side platform (be that one hosted on JS, Java, Python, Ruby, ...), but what you'd actually use in terms of frameworks and editors varies greatly.

what the easiest and fastest way of making a parser with a custom non-generated lexer
help me ive been searching for a solution
google doesnt give me shit

Another crappy Adobe tool, this one is meant to peddle Adobe Air but also edits JS, HTML, CSS.

Think the usual fail editor to suggest uneducated people can make webpages. Maybe you remember MS Frontpage or something? Equally terrible and useless, but with Adobe's extra horrible runtime.

I am about to convert my 3T HDD from MBR to GPT because apparently that's the only way to make use of it (locked behind 2TB atm). I didn't realize this until after half a year so I have lots of data I don't want to delete which is why I'm using this program which claims it'll do the conversion without deleting the contents.

Anyways my question is do I create a System restore or Windows backup before doing this? Wouldn't a restore be pointless since that's just for software changes? And if I made a backup I'd imagine it'd be too big to store on this HDD and I don't have another one of similar size to put it on.

Am scared desu, please help

Attached: Untitled2.png (977x592, 69K)

So in your opinion, would you recomment sticking with 7 ultimate, 8.1, or 10 LTSB?

The challenges will be different depending on the OS. You're basically changing the mobo etc from the point of view of the VM's OS. It's not ideal. That's on top of whatever you have to do to pull off the actual conversion, and the shit to make USB boot work if it's windows.

You can edit those things using any tool, but I would generally suggest Kate as the editor as it is normie friendly but still as powerful as the popular terminal ones. You can extend it through C++ and JS, so it is good for web devs and programmers.
As for live editing, I would just use Firefox. Make your website in one place and then have a small example of what you are making where you can do live edits so it isn't a problem to reload.

Friends, I have a load of fonts that I need to install. I obviously have them in separate folders, but that means I have to open every individual one and copy them over one at a time on a folder by folder basis. Is there anyway for me to copy the contents of multiple folders all at once so I can past them into my Fonts folder so I can use them?

If you already know the hardware works smoothly with 7, you can stick with that until when/if security updates get discontinued in a couple years. Other than doing the initial updates it's about as smooth of sailing as 8. If you want to avoid backported telemetry, use WSUS Offline with security-only checked.

bump pls

Yea, that's more like the usual approach.

Atom, VSCode, Netbeans, Eclipse, vim, EMACS for HTML, CSS and JS. There are also proprietary choices, but I figure you'll find them on your own if you care. Plus then the developer tools in Firefox or Chrome - because frankly you need to check in real browsers anyhow, and they got excellent debuggers and stuff.

Plus maybe more Python / Ruby / Scala / Java language-specific IDE in the specific case case you employ bigger server side frameworks written in these languages (Rails, Django, Play, Spring, ...).