/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60; X200, T400/500
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot on T420; Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T/W52/30 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, 64gb of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive. Bad stock cooling reported by multiple owners.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed)
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: X62.jpg (1839x1143, 1.25M)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/SnMqrjE
discordapp.com/invite/mGWNsaN
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Intel-i5-2-60GHz-4GB-RAM-160GB-HDD-Win7-Laptop/152948633325?hash=item239c72eeed:g:FqUAAOSwEmFarT-M
youtu.be/3X1LUlnhIAI
youtu.be/9A9GBTFrFTQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

any TPs with their own graphics card instead of just intel graphics? I work with 3D and while my main work is done on my rig, I wonder if there's any TP that would let me do some light drafts

There are many: all of the W-series ThinkPads, the P-series, and the T4** and T5** have options for dGPU's.

What's your budget?

I got a T420 in the mail.
>Can it run a 2960XM or 2860QM? Upgradeable heat pipes?
>Best SSD to stick into a T420?
>Is the IPS screen upgrade still possible?
>Is the X1 TN panel upgrade worth it?
I'm gonna use this lightly around the house as a secondary mobile PC. No need to lots of storage, or long battery life.
Anything else I must know, or buy?

P7x is the only MXM standard equipped model of ThinkPad, you can install anything MXM 3.0 as long as the form factor is standard and the TDP doesn't exceed 120w.

The issue with the other ThinkPads is that their graphics are soldered so if the GPU fails then you need to replace the whole motherboard.

Not to mention that with MXM 3.0B standard, you have a lot of upgrade options in the future.

XM and partially unlocked QM you can run, but it requires the 2-pipe iGPU heatsink (04W0407) or the 2-pipe dGPU heatsink (04W0408). I recommend the dGPU model even though you have the iGPU model because some people have reported that the fan actually spins faster on the dGPU model heatsink.

I recommend 850 PRO for boot drive, it's MLC and has great data integrity. Otherwise the 850 EVO will work just fine if you're tight on budget.

IPS still possible but waiting on Javi-jie to make the version 2 kit that eliminates flicker issue on AC power. The kits out right now on taobao and aliexpress are a copy of Javi-jie's V1 kit for the T42/30-S, it doesn't completely alleviate the flicker issue.

Depends, you should look around for the review on this panel before deciding if it's worth or not.

For ThinkPad owners/prospective owners are recommended to join both chat below, both servers are partnered

>>TPG Sup Forums chat by xsauc: discord.gg/SnMqrjE
>>/r/thinkpad TPG reddit chat by jpsuliz: discordapp.com/invite/mGWNsaN

>budget
The cheaper the better is my budget.

Going back as far as the T61p will get you dedicated graphics.

>T420S
>9 cell battery
>9 cell slice battery
>ultrabay battery

I can use this thing for a fortnight without a charger.

T42/30S max 6 cell internal + 3 cell ultrabay. No slice or 9 cell possible

Why did you go with 420s over 420? The s fetches a... 20 Chinkbucks premium.

For what purpose

What is the difference between an R400 and a T400?

What do I have to do to repair a screen cable from a T420? The screen is working but one of its side starts to shaking and show weird pattern as I open/close the lid (even a little).

>P7x is the only MXM standard equipped model of ThinkPad, you can install anything MXM 3.0 as long as the form factor is standard and the TDP doesn't exceed 120w.
this ain't true bro. it's physically a standard MXM but they went beyond their normal whitelisting on it and moved the vBIOS into the main system BIOS (the vBIOS on the card itself is ignored). result is that only lenovo-made MXM cards that originally shipped as options will work.

The quadro cards are made by MSi, any standard MXM 3.0B will work. And especially pascal on the P70 since the display panel is eDP.

The case that you're referring to with the incompatibility is the W70x series where the MXM electrical connection is wired to Lenovo proprietary bullshit

P71 (at least my my case with latest bios) doesn't have hardware whitelists anymore. A 3rd party Killer 1535M pulled from a P870KMx laptop works.

if I'm in Europe and buy thinkpads from american sellers or something, do I have to pay for the gigantic fees like when I buy chink shit from chinkland?

No, the almighty lord will waive your import fees just because.

So TPG, you decide if I go with a T420 or T420s. I do intend on using it as a laptop, but the lack of Upgradability irks me.

Attached: 130221984383.jpg (600x578, 45K)

There's no reason to own any of these things anymore
The main argument you had against people calling you out for using 10 year old shitpads is "muh full voltage, muh quadcore"
The 8000 series ULV match the performance of M chips AND they're quadcore.
The new ryzen APU laptops are qaud core with graphics power that rivals a mid end desktop chip from a couple years ago.
Get fucked you crossdressing losers.

Attached: 1508001686406.jpg (540x610, 79K)

k

the problem with the W701 is a bit different. with P70/P71, the electrical connections seem to be totally normal, but the card's vBIOS is ignored. I don't know anything about whitelists on other hardware on these models, but the MXM is definitely restricted (intentionally or otherwise)

Test

i want it for hacker man meme

I just got a T430 off ebay...did I do wrong?

Everyone here keeps saying T420...T420...T420.

Why?

FYI I got an 850 Evo 256 to go wtih it.

Because muh keyboard muh wlan / battery whitelist. If you don't care about that and want a faster cpu / gpu, get the t430. One isn't 'objectively better' than the other, it's about preference.

t. $428er

They're all trash my dude
You could have waited for dell to make a Ryzen based inspiron.
Excuse me?

about time senpai. my $120 T420 has served me well the past 4 years

Attached: 1521438411869.png (810x793, 576K)

You forgot that chinks and pajeets are now buying them in droves thanks to shitty youtube videos, and prices are going way the fuck up.
T60s should be worth next to nothing now, but libreboot has memed them back into the hundreds.

here you go
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Intel-i5-2-60GHz-4GB-RAM-160GB-HDD-Win7-Laptop/152948633325?hash=item239c72eeed:g:FqUAAOSwEmFarT-M

Anything wrong with this?

Just got an X230, came pre-installed with W10. I immediately noticed that something was completely fucked about the trackpad and its drivers. The cursor would bounce, BSODs would occur with all sorts of driver-related error codes. Now I've booted it using Ubuntu, and there is definitely a ton of improvement. Tap to click works without any big issues, two-finger tap for right-click works. The actual clicking on the pad, though, is kinda fucked. And occasionally the cursor will be stuck to one side of the screen, which I have to jiggle out with the trackpoint. Is that the expected behavior for these trackpads?

>Just got an X230
stopped reading right there

Attached: 1521448991607.gif (639x720, 439K)

I'm about to return my X230, what's the value of the X220? Or should I just try to get a different ThinkPad? Also, keep in mind I live in EU, which is a perpetual scam in the electronics industry.

Anyhere you can buy x230s with the FHD mod?

Yes, buying a proper fucking laptop with a decent screen

I got 2x T60 1400x1050 for $65 a piece in europe

>a proper fucking laptop with a decent screen
It doesn't exist, that's why people mod old thinkpads.

kek ok
Dell has a bunch for around $600
>inb4 MUH KEYBOARD MUH CHASIS MUH THINKSHIT
All laptop keyboards are ass
If you're serious about portable typing to get a tkl or 60% mechanical board
Only mongoloids drop their shit too

Asking again, how's Coreboot on the T430 these days?

>T430

Attached: 6736163f5374bf899f47be86d9c94565.jpg (220x230, 9K)

Well, it is officially supported, and has been for a long time now.

Yo Sup Forumsentoomen, I bought a Thinkpad X201 refurbished with 2GB RAM. Should I get an SSD and another 2 GB for the ideal performance. Will run Arch or maybe Gentoo.

Attached: savedforexplanation.png (1739x1446, 254K)

haha. it says "fart" in the URL

Yes

Does anybody here use a X61(s) with the integrated 3G Modem? Can I use it under Linux or do I have to run Windows? Sadly I can't test it right now.

Lenovo X220 intel core i5 2520M /320 HDD / 4 ram 135 €

would cop?

Why are you returning it?

I'd get the SSD

What do you want and what is your budget?

How are the tablet versions of the x220/x230? How is the battery life and how well does it work under windows and Linux?

It's pretty fucked plus I hate the new keyboard.

Hey guys, I bought a T440 some 2 weeks ago and was generally happy about it.
However the screen seems to have died on me today.
All of a sudden it went black. Restarting and plugging and unplugging it from the current did nothing.
A few minutes after restarting the screen came back for a few minutes, I went to check the windows event viewer to see if there was anything about driver errors and there was nothing. Also during restart I didn't see the bios screen etc.
A few minutes after it came back it died again, but I could still see the mouse cursor very very faint. It seems like it might have been the backlight?
Any idea what it is and what I can do about it?
Thanks

Is there a laptop as comfy as the X200/X201? No budget limit.

You're probably right about the backlight, most likely you're going to need a new screen but try wiggling the cable and see if it does anything.

if you wiggle the cable and force a connect-disconnect while system is on, you will blow a fuse on the motherboard and be fucked

how do you make money to not care about price?

vid related
youtu.be/3X1LUlnhIAI

Ehm why? You're not shorting anything.

mobo gets a voltage spike and fuse blows when you connect the lcd panel

It literally feels better and is more tactile than the old one you stupid fucking autist.

I'm not watching the whole thing, but yeah if you fully reinsert the cable you could blow the fuse but I doubt it can be done with the cable seated and just pushing on it. Anyway to be safe, reseat the cable with battery removed etc.

Really doesn't make any sense, what is different on from connecting it yourself and normal start of the panel?

if you do not get this, you will not get a detailed explanation either. do whatever you want, but you will fuck your shit up if you connect it while powered on. same goes for sodimms, keyboard, etc.

Desperation.

Yeah nice cop out. You have no idea what you're talking about. 'Voltage spike' from what? Is there capacitance in the screen? Fuses blow from current spikes btw.

voltage defines current. if you want your mobo dead, please, do what you want

I agree that it's a bad idea, but you also don't understand electronics.

youtu.be/9A9GBTFrFTQ

Heh...

So, fell for the Windows 10 meme and installed jewdowns on my T420. I have a problem which didn't occur on 7 so bad. Even opening browser makes fan spin over 4000 rpm making too much noice. I installed TPFC and running it in "smart" mode makes it quit enough. But still, is it normal that T420 has a loud fan. SSD on it has done about 10k hours so has the fan. Is the fan broken or has thinkpad bios controlled fan profile just fucked up. plz halp

Daily reminder that this exists and your vintage turdpads are obsolete.

Attached: lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-p51-hero.png (725x515, 89K)

Just three T420s can match the performance of this, and at a quarter of the cost.

whats a good one with an AMD GPU?

Well i need to change my laptop and i was thinking of going with a thinkpad (because they are relativly cheap compared to other laptops with 4core CPU and i don't care much about having a CG)
I don't get why the T580 is so expensive compared to the E580 : is it just the double battery thing or is the build quality of the E series garbage ?

what dell has fhd and is 12.5" and has a clitmouse?

It really is not....

x200s/x201s
>dat 1440x900

I'd say T60 and X200 are about as comfyy as it gets.

IF you need the better performance X220 T420 and lower are bretty gud as well.

>nvidia
no thank you

is the extra thickness of the x200 worth it over the x200s?

Definitely not expected behaviour, mine is working great out of the box on openSUSE.

The A485 and A285? Those aren't coming out til Q3 or Q4 this year.

Both

Who has a copy of Lenovo's Maintenance Key USB?

whats the best thinkpad for use with openbsd? main concern would be portability and battery life.
not using openbsd is not an option

What is OS is anyone using on a t43?

freDOS

>qaud core

What thinkpad should i get for long battery life and a portable size, but also decent spec at a moderately low cost? Modern laptops are garbage and everythings soldered, and have huge overheating problems due to them going for style over function. Im starting college & doing comp sci and i need a good machine for related tasks and good mobility. there are so many models and i know how much Sup Forums love their thinkpads so here i am. Pls help me thinkpad gurus

x220

Can i get Ultrabay battery for my L420?

Pls respond

considering you're in Europe, it's fine.

has anyone found an x41t battery for less than 50 bucks?
Also, is there a flush one available anywhere?

Seems decent, I got a X230 for 120 yuros but the backlid thing is sort of broken.
Seems like a good deal for X220 tho

How accurate is this?

Attached: gnu-soypad.png (1500x438, 472K)

Hey I'm a college computer science student, and I was wondering if I should get an x1 carbon or a p51. I like the p51 because it has an Ethernet port and a pretty nice gpu, but the x1 carbon is easier to carry around, has better battery life, and a snazzy hdr display.

Get a P52s

Attached: FTFY.png (1500x438, 490K)

P-lets on suicide watch.

Attached: x1c6.png (649x626, 62K)