/mg/ - Software and Hardware Minimalism General

For discussing software and hardware minimalism and minimal computing lifestyle.

>What is computing minimalism?
en.wikipedia .org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros
ix.io/ZE2

>Minimal programs lists
Alternatives to Bloatware github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md
Window Managers en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
Suckless suckless.org/rocks
Cat-v.org harmful.cat-v.org/software/

>Guides
Installing CRUX and Source Mage github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/INITIATION.md
Pure ALSA pastebin.com/yKhgKt8r

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.

Attached: emmastonepepe.png (700x775, 908K)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamchan.org/#channel1
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/3/19/17140116/ibm-worlds-smallest-computer-grain-of-salt-solar-powered
dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=556
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm going to build a new PC soon. I've been using Slackware for the past 5 years and I love it to death, but I'm concerned with it's development cycle being that Bob lost his job, Volkerding is old as fuck and there's no clear policy on System D in the future (not to mention the current stable is old as shit with some really important packages.) I'm the kind of person that wants to configure their operating system, and not fuck with it for years so I've never really used rolling release distros, and I've heard horror stories from Arch users. I've tinkered with Void a bit and I'm willing to give it a go but stability is a big concern of mine due to the fact I like my system to be sound. Are regular updates a huge cunt on Void? I don't mind the idea of weekly updates but I don't want to fix soemthing every week at the same time. I also honestly don't want a hyper-autistic system, I just want something that will let me get my work done. Thoughts?

pic unrelated

Attached: huh.png (800x450, 777K)

Isn't Slackware now under a team? I heard the rumor in another thread.

I'd like to know more if this is true. I never really had a problem with lots of packages but 1260 packages in the base install makes me think about trying the minimalism meme.

>3.7k packages
>zsh
>some random wm
>all that fucking shit you have installed at the bottom
>chiruno
>"gentoo" without actually configuring anything
0 out of 10 no minimal and not a desktop thread

I wouldn't call FVWM some random WM, and although I've never used it I don't see a problem with using CloverOS. You're right about everything else though, his package count is fucking ludicrous.

.7k packages
>knowing how to use 657 programs is bad
>>zsh
>doesn't know it's just as bloated as bash
>>some random wm
>he doesn't know the minimalism of FVWM
>>all that fucking shit you have installed at the bottom
>using programs is bad
>>chiruno
>doesn't know that FLAC is more minimal than other audio codecs
>>"gentoo" without actually configuring anything
>has a problem with username
out of 10 no minimal and not a desktop thread
>niggers tongue my anus

Attached: 562.jpg (600x600, 36K)

wtf is this autism? you have a meme linux computer with an insane amount of software installed, somehow using 30% CPU and 3G RAM to run a WM, panel, file manager, and a shell. the furry BG is really over the top

>emacs
why do you even need another text editor/mail client/browser/sudoku generator/file manager/process viewer/lisp shell?

i'm running 8 rtorrent processes and streaming courage the cowardly dog at streamchan.org/#channel1

>why do you even need another text editor/mail client/browser/sudoku generator/file manager/process viewer/lisp shell?
People can say what they will about emacs but it's fucking great and you can fit it in a minimal system if you use it correctly.

lol

plain emacs is just vim with a different UI
fair enough

Install Crux In Da Club

Attached: 1520862088424.png (178x178, 8K)

but I'm not smart enough
I will have to wait until user is done with the install script

Is not that hard tho.

For geniuses like you maybe

I have a Thinkpad T420 with 8GB of RAM (random access memory). Pray tell, why should I take the minimalism pill?

>but I'm not smart enough
Are you aware of a self fulfilling prophecy? If you believe in yourself, and are committed to achieving a goal, you can achieve that goal. Don't get yourself down!

>genius
>me
>for installing CRUX
T-thanks

Just use Void. It's easy to install and pretty minimal.

Attached: 1521468836788.png (1366x768, 28K)

>Just use Void
I don't agree with the developers politics, so no.

>boycotting a free operating system over politics

Yes, that is what I'm doing. And I implore you to do the same.

whats exactly wrong with their politics?

>virtualbox

Coward

i hope this is bait.

theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/3/19/17140116/ibm-worlds-smallest-computer-grain-of-salt-solar-powered
>To be clear, the picture above is a set of 64 motherboards, each of which hold two of this tiny computer.
>IBM claims the computer has the power of an x86 chip from 1990. That puts it exactly on the edge of enough power to run the original Doom (the original README.TXT for Doom says a 386 processor and 4MB of RAM is the minimum).

Attached: 1490865607855.png (1137x1381, 1.1M)

Not until it can at least work on a 1024 monitor

There is nothing cowardly about installing a linux distro in a VM. If anything, it is and intelligent and cautionary act. Those that do this are willing to take the time to ensure that they like the distro, something I find admirable.

It's not installed on vm though. He has VirtualBox installed on void. Are you guys literally retarded?

Hello! I am this guy I was speaking more generally on my thoughts on testing a distro in a VM, regardless of whether or not he actually did so. Thanks!

Ponies apparently

Attached: 2018-03-18-064138_1920x1080_scrot.png (1291x859, 128K)

i'm curious - go on mate.

Attached: 2018-03-18-064419_1920x1080_scrot.png (507x763, 70K)

How are gay pastel horses related to political science in any way? Who the fuck cares if some distro maintainers like a cartoon?

Is Openbox minimal?

Not really, 2bwm or evilwm + slmenu would be better for a stacking window manager

>How are gay pastel horses related to political science in any way
They are likely to be pedophiles, and have a mental illness. Therefore I will not be a party to their degeneracy.

what distro do you use?

>getting mad about a dead show in 2018

Attached: 249131.jpg (225x350, 31K)

That's none of your business :-)

I am calm, cool, and collected. How about you?

He won't answer because it will open up an attack surface.
I'm Glitter Cumsplosion the best pony.

>He won't answer because it will open up an attack surface.
No, I won't answer because it is none of their business. If I were concerned about an "attack surface" I would stop replying to you guys.

reminder this poster did not exist when cute OP was around

then tell us what superior distro you use so we can switch, faggot

Okay sweetie, whatever you say.

Attached: this_faggot_thing_triggers_anon.jpg (600x375, 28K)

>then tell us what superior distro you use so we can switch, faggot
Sorry sweetheart. I am not at liberty to divulge that sensitive information.

:D

Are we going into the glorious FreeDOS future?

>Sorry sweetheart. I am not at liberty to divulge that sensitive information.
>he doesn't have liberty
Commie get out.

Attached: gunsounds.gif (500x375, 219K)

Why is there so much gnu in the alpine repos? Isn't it supposed to be gnu free?

>Commie
No.
>get out.
Gladly. This thread is starting to cramp my style. So long suckers!

It comes with Busybox by default, you don't have to use GNU utils

>Gladly. This thread is starting to cramp my style. So long suckers!
Seeya faggot.

Attached: dab.png (500x281, 49K)

again the shitty bloated pastas. in the trash it goes.

how you doing in tokyo?

Fuck off nigger, you are the same harassing faggy OP and shitposting anti-GNU shit.

>n***er
Yikes. What's with the racism?

Get of here you double niggerfaggot.

What CLI do you guys use? I'm trying cmus but I can't figure out how to rice it. Or even use it well tbqh.

Attached: 6760724243_74d00c813c.jpg (499x500, 138K)

Attached: void.png (1440x1938, 433K)

>What CLI do you guys use?
I'm using GNU Readline.

good bait

Attached: 1509332985494.jpg (768x1024, 116K)

Reminder that Crystal is minimal. It has C-tier performance with the ease of development of Ruby.

Do you mean a music player? Then moc, is retard proof and can be daemonized.

It is. But mainly all the decisions are made by Patrick Volkerding as he's a BDFL.

how can i improve battery life in openbsd?

On Linux you have powertop and other tools to undervolt. I can even compile a kernel for low power laptops.

> Thinks I'm actually in Tokyo
The current state of Sup Forums

How can i compile my own kernal?
Is it hard?

The process is easy, finding what you exactly need in the configuration is the difficult part as we lack documentation. Check the guides in the OP, there is one guide on compiling kernel in the github.

>I got a job in japan where I can use void linux
Another delusional neet spots himself lmao.

Heh. This is too easy

bloates pasta is bloat

Not him, but literally everyone was digusted by that perv, myself included, and mods wiped him out. Get a therapist if shotas are your thing.

I used to give a fuck, but when I have 16GB of ram, I stop caring about using 15MB less by switching to an inferior alternative. Some programs are just more convenient than others, even if they are ram vampires. If I have the ram to spare, why torture myself?

I do agree that programmers SHOULD put more focus on efficiency, but as a user, it's really not my problem. There are plenty of smart programmers out there; any of them could be contributing to the solution, but few actually care. So why should I?

Arch is shit, systemd is shit, if you like bloat then this is not your place, fuck off.

Yeah, we asked him to change the picture a couple of times. Maybe he'll learn.

do you use raspberry, right?

devuan is shit. You are shit.

Arch doesnt belong here, give up.

never said the contrary. Neither does a meme distro like devuan, which still includes systemd and is maintaned like shit.

What the fuck are you complaining? Devuan is not using systemd, that's FUD, but if it did then I agree.

did you actually ever use devuan or you talk like ever other pseud in here based on what people feed you and assume it's true? It didn't get rid of systemd completely and it was its only purpose. Releases are slow as fuck and unstable and the devs aren't anywhere near debian's in terms of efficiency and number. Resulting in a retarded distro which can be advertised only by that stupid OP.

referring to things like these:
>dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=556
Still unsolved after one year.

Is not using systemd but if some components of systemd are installed in so many distros is because so many stupid developers suck Poettering's dick and use systemdicks code one way or another, even Gentoo couldn't remove all. And if you don't like the distros in the list, well I got news for you, the list from the pastebin is bullshit anyway but that is how the community decided after a long deliberation. If it were for me I'd include an alternative to Arch so archfags won't bitch anymore and remove the BSD because they are bloat and nobody says anything even when the basesystem is a thing. Just propose your own list nigger and fight for the change.

The BSDs have problems but they're fine for the most part. I would include Parabola on that list since it uses OpenRC now (although I've bever used Arch myself.)

why would I bother fighting for a bunch of unemplyed kids who never really used a linux based system and just toy with them acting edgy and installing them in a vm, just for 'le minimal meme'? I couldn't care less. I expressed my opinion, that list is shit, you argued with me about it, and now you agree the list is shit. Are you taking your meds?

>projecting this hard

>implying that much
I just use debian testing or centOS in production, at home I have a slackware home rack. Couldn't give a fuck about musl, st, bspwm and the other bullshit you guys value so much, without even understanding suckless' way of developing software. I agree systemd sucks, blame Red Hat; I use what brings me money. Since money is not a concern for you kids, keep toying, eventually u'll grow up. You're no different than gaymers, just cheaper equipment and different platforms.

You retarded posts speak suggest nothing of alternatives, you sound like an autist when you do that. Stop the faggotry an actually make a suggestion next time so we take you seriously.

>Since money is not a concern for you kids, keep toying, eventually u'll grow up. You're no different than gaymers, just cheaper equipment and different platforms.
Not everyone on this board is unemployed. I use GNU/Linux to do work and I don't want a shitty system. There's literally no reason to use Windows anymore other than video editing, and I got out of that field for the sole purpose of my hatred for Windows.
Don't mind him. He's just an insecure brat with a superiority complex.

jesus christ you cannot even type let alone understand proper english. I suggested to remove devuan and explained why, that was the biggest concern. Since you're going full 5yo on me, here is your candy:
>Void
>Gentoo
>Slackware
>Alpine (not GNU)
>CRUX
>LFS
>openBSD
>netBSD
If the concern is "muuh no beginner distro", void install script is as user friendly as a devuan install, literally the same and even more polished, if someone is more brainlet than that they shouldn't care about minimalism in the first place. Happy now? Be sure to ask your mommy permission to reply or she could confiscate all your toys.
> I use GNU/Linux to do work and I don't want a shitty system.
spotted the pretending wannabe. Try again.

There is no OpenRC iso I can see on their website but they mention there is. Hyperbola is another Arch based distro developed in parallel and is using OpenRC, so is Artix.

>spotted the pretending wannabe. Try again.
Elaborate please. At this point you're just spouting ad-hominems like a fucking Liberal Arts major. Also, just to let you know your list is barely fucking modified, you just made it worse. How special you are.

>Void
If this thing is as good as they say then there is no point in including a Debian or Arch derivative. Was that so hard user?

>you said the list was bloat and you made it worse reducing it by 50%
Is your IQ lower than 50 by any chances? Please tell me so I quit the discussion and move on.
>Elaborate please.
nobody in a professional enviroment lets you use 'what you want', you use what you need and most of the time what the customer needs and they surely don't give a shit systemd is bloated or glibc is coded badly. So you're either unemployed or do a job unrelated to the system you use.
>as they say
another example of the 'my opinion is based on what I read in /mg/, regardless of my own experience'. Great.

Here we go again.

>nobody in a professional enviroment lets you use 'what you want', you use what you need and most of the time what the customer needs and they surely don't give a shit systemd is bloated or glibc is coded badly. So you're either unemployed or do a job unrelated to the system you use.
A job unrelated to the system I use is still a job user. Most people who have jobs don't work in a shitty IT department. Make like a motherboard and stop posting.

So your job is unrelated to the topic of the thread and assert you can use whatever you want and be as minimal as you want in a professional enviroment. Yeah you're probably borderline retarded. You could be a baker and your argument would be as relevant.
>Most people who have jobs don't work in a shitty IT department
>implying again
Networking engineer for an ISP with ~50k clients spread across the nation. Thanks for caring anyways. What's your job? Don't be shy.

why are there two threads and why are neither of them glmg

Autism.