Facebook Security Chief Said to Leave After Clashes Over Disinformation

nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/facebook-alex-stamos.html

>Facebook’s chief information security officer, Alex Stamos, will leave the company after internal disagreements over how the social network should deal with its role in spreading disinformation, according to current and former employees briefed on the matter.

>Mr. Stamos had been a strong advocate inside the company for investigating and disclosing Russian activity on Facebook, often to the consternation of other top executives, including Sheryl Sandberg, the social network’s chief operating officer, according to the current and former employees, who asked not to be identified discussing internal matters.

>He has been overseeing the transfer of his security team to Facebook’s product and infrastructure divisions. His group, which once had 120 people, now has three, the current and former employees said.

This is the company that billions have entrusted with their most intimate personal details and day-to-day thoughts, and the company they rely on to inform them about the world. It has three security staff members.

Attached: 170927090026-facebook-russia-1024x576.jpg (1024x576, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/personaldata-io/the-dis-information-mercenaries-now-controlling-trumps-databases-4f6a20d4f3e7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>It has three security staff members.
how many do you think it needs, op?

Facebook doesnt fall for the anti russia propaganda. Neat.

>Lost billion dollars of stocks
>#deletefacebook is trending
>Mark already sold $357 million dollars of stocks this month probably for a bigger shitstorm to come

How fucked are they?

Attached: 1394225725688.gif (245x250, 967K)

And they just gave them their info, the dumb fucks.

Russian bot spotted.

Don’t forget:

>imminent regulation from both the US and EU

Given how flip they’ve been about the whole thing, they kinda asked for it.

This is what happens when growing your company into a virtual monopoly becomes the main priority.

I hope like hell this is the beginning of the end for them. They won't go away completely but things will start waning from here.

>billion dollars fine from the US and EU

Get fucked Zuck!

Who relies on facebook to inform them of anything? It's pretty much nothing but clickbait these days. It's a chore to even find posts from friends, unless you go straight to their wall.

I don't know anyone who even likes facebook anymore, except for a single dumbass friend, who tries to use facebook messenger in place of actual phone service. Doesn't matter that he literally has both Wire and Signal installed on his phone, nope. It's facebook messenger for him.

He still has to signal me if he wants to talk. No matter how much he begs, I refuse to install that cancerous app on my phone.

Has this guy been there from FB's beginning? Sorry I don't know their history.

If you wanna learn more about the players:
medium.com/personaldata-io/the-dis-information-mercenaries-now-controlling-trumps-databases-4f6a20d4f3e7

Attached: bdi.png (262x45, 33K)

Do you think facebook is in control of "the security" lol cmon guise u r smarter than that

Are you trying to imply a blatant anti-Russian propaganda isn't a thing?

Are you trying to fool someone at this point? Ask your handlers to assign you to an easier board.

>It has three security staff members.
Doesn't the article mean that Stamos' original group (which he has been transferring to product and infrastructure divisions) is now down to just three people, while the new security team probably has many more people? But maybe not. I dunno.

>implying uncle Vova cares about tech illiterate 'murican neet de/g/enerates
Nah, I'm assigned to the easiest board ever.

>'murican
As if.

There is just to much shit flinging on all sides. Vova kills opposition and doesn't allow fair elections. The west, or (((they))) blame Russia for everything that seem to benifit Russia.
Relations will be tense as long as the Russian people aren't free from dictatorship.

>Vova kills opposition and doesn't allow fair elections
The thing is, he doesn't have to do a thing for people to support him. Western mass-media pushes the agenda of "everyone is forced to vote for %name" (%name being Putin) as the reality of Russia when it really isn't. Sure some precedents here and there might take place, but that would be some overzealous retard abusing his authority - not a nation-wide scam sponsored by the government.
People from the West do not know how it was to live in Russia in 90's. They don't realize how much the things had changed with Putin. "Fixing" the utter mess that was post-USSR Russia was the achievement Russians genuinely love Putin for.
Does Putin play fair? Unlikely. Do regular people think the same? You bet! Does the "silenced opposition" play fair? No - they don't. Navalny was told to fuck off not so much because of being a scammer but because of not being able to fix this shit and letting it go public.
The bottom line is: Putin doesn't have to silence/kill/fuck the opposition. From the standpoint of common sense, everything that looks like "silencing the opposition" is a coincidence at best, asserting domination at worst.
And the "dictatorship" meme is completely out of place, to be honest. I've lived in Russia for 23 years and there were only two things I was "dictated" to do:
1) Receive at least 9 years of basic school education;
2) Serve a year in Russian army after I'm older than 18 and finished my education.
Currently, I live in another country altogether and there was nothing stopping me from leaving the country.

Living in a free society means having the liberty to run a political campaign. It means having the freedom to criticize the government on their failures.
Sure Russia crawled up from the dirt, and the Russian people have a 'genuine' respect for Putin for making their country less of a clusterfuck. But the thing is that cronyism is strong in Russia, corruption is intense, political opposition does get silenced, Putin annexed the Crimea, Russia is provocative towards almost all of it's neighbouring countries.
So we can safely conclude that the Russian government cannot be trusted, and by extension forms an inherent threat to governments that are run by citizens instead of the elite. Before you 'no u' me, there are a lot of counties with a broken system of governance, Russia is in no way unique or the worst. Its just the largest.

You know you are both correct and wrong at the same time.
The political opposition gets "silenced" - and I'm honestly giving it the benefit of the doubt here - when they start going way overboard, promoting revolution and shit.
Corruption in Russia is completely retarded and it is being constantly fought against. And the people who are fighting it are corrupt too.
West's opinion on the Crimea issue is solely based on the Western propaganda. Russian propaganda was very different from the Western one. And knowing (for a decade at least) people who live in Crimea right now (and used to live there before it was annexed) the Russian version was a tad bit more realistic. Ukrainian activists did go full Nazi back then. There also was some shady bullshit coming from US about weaponizing Ukraine-Russian border thus effectively controlling Russian fleet in the Black Sea. One was a solid excuse to prevent another.
And honestly, even when I was serving in the army my impression of Russia was "don't bother us - we won't bother you". All Russian "interventions" were always openly requested - Lybian, Syrian, even Crimean. That's compared to US and Europe playing their 4D chess and rolling dices for "who's a good boy and who's a bad boy today" then poking their noses into literally everything that happens in the world. I honestly don't understand how Russia can look "provocative" in the context of the West constantly bringing war to other countries. The ongoing "provocation" goes along the lines "you hacked our elections!", "no, we didn't", "we have proofs!", "then, please, disclose them", "no! But give us some random people so we can lynch them!", "no, we won't". Even Western media fails to present that whole clown-fiesta in a non-retarded way - can you imagine how it looks in Russian media?

Russian air force is continuously entering European airspace. Russian led rebels have killed over 10.000 civilians in eastern Ukraine. A russian skud missile has taken out passenger flight MH-17, the Russian state blames the pilot for nose diving the plane. Russian paintings in european musea are being investigated for being fraudulent copies. Russian athletes take part in a state sponsored doping campaign.
As always the truth is somewhere in the middle, but the government of Russia has its fingers in to many shady dealings to be seen as anything but a criminal organisation.
I'm not even dealing with election meddling, because this has been proven by independent investigations and I see no need to argue those.
In the end we would all like to get along better, to bad Russia hates LGBTQ people and systematically makes life difficult for people who are crying out for fair elections and an egalitarian society.
The solution to all the trouble brewing in Russia is not to elect the same maniacal leader for 25 years to gain a false sense of stability.

isnt that strange that this happens a day after uk found out that facebook had an office on cambrige analitica place?