/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux thread

old thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try protonmail or disroot

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1512586237026.jpg (1280x1890, 782K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=what is the difference between apt update and apt upgrade
lmgtfy.com/?q=apt on arch
github.com/icy/pacapt
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=march-2018-gpus&num=1
youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8gealMDsg
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg
bpaste.net/show/0b88800ec871
mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/Packages/centos-release-7-4.1708.el7.centos.x86_64.rpm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's the difference between apt-get update and apt-get upgrade?
What's the difference between those and apt-get *install* update/upgrade?
Why after running those do I still get updates for Ubuntu base in the GUI software updater?

SQT didn't really help much with this.

man apt-get

update fetches the current list of packages from the repo, and tells you if any packages on your system can be upgraded. upgrade actually downloads and installs the most recent versions of any such packages. The idea of splitting the two of these up is so that you can check for updated packages, and then decide for yourself whether they're urgent and should be installed now, or whether they aren't that important and can be put off until later.

not quite sure what you're asking with the second one, but you can use apt install package on a package that's already installed but has an updated version available to say "update this package, and any needed dependencies, but don't upgrade other packages"

No idea about point 3.

go back to windows you stupid fucking idiot

What's the worst JNU/Linux distro? I want to know so I can stay away from it.

can I set Arch to use apt as my package manager?

Attached: haunts-my-hippo.png (346x327, 106K)

lmgtfy.com/?q=apt on arch

read the very first link

then hang yourself

github.com/icy/pacapt

But yeah, hang yourself for sure, kiddo.

That's for pacman-like syntax on other systems, not for apt-like syntax on Arch.

Is this thread just pure fucking retardation?

so apt-get update/upgrade just updates packages and not the base/kernel itself? how do i do that from the command line?

>go back to windows you stupid fucking idiot
>*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

But that doesn't answer my question

see

Attached: trigger-g-in-one-post.jpg (1795x709, 1.14M)

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=march-2018-gpus&num=1
>mfw AMD's open drivers caught up with Nvidia's proprietary drivers on gaymes

Attached: comfy Mio.jpg (1024x640, 36K)

Am I the only one who's having trouble hibernating with the amdgpu drivers? Or is this an actual issue?

>friendly thread
You are not being very friendly :-/

why would you want to do this though?

I don't think anybody has ever done this and I don't know why you would. I suppose you could with enough effort but no body is going to hold your hand because no one who could do it would. I did find a wrapper to make pacman have a similiar syntax to apt-get but it doesn't have tab completion because the person who wrote it is probably retarded.

youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8gealMDsg

why on earth would you possibly want to do that?
getting away from apt is one of the reasons i switched to arch

Since I got no replies before:
>What's the chances of Wayland killing XFCE (and thus Xubuntu), by the way? I've really not been following Linux-related goings on for quite some time now, but it seems Wayland is getting closer and closer to adoption while XFCE remains borderline abandonware. I'm worried that the XFCE devs won't update it and when all the distros make the switch to Wayland it will become unusable.

And if XFCE is on the verge of being kill, is there anything decent which has come along in the last few years to replace it?

Attached: 1506834443171.png (390x390, 109K)

Why does everyone hate on apt? What's so bad about it?

Debian Sid here, apt sometimes is fucking retarded and removes shit I installed willingly.

via autoremove?

If Xfce goes I will kill myself.

Or just go back to using OpenBox by itself...

>If Xfce goes I will kill myself.
I'll be on the verge of joining you.

Deadline vs Noop on SSD, which is better?

Attached: 1501067754772.gif (500x495, 860K)

How old is that image? I haven't seen it before.

Have an obscure version.

Attached: triggered.png (1795x709, 47K)

We need to go deeper.

Attached: 1507725931338.png (1795x709, 7K)

Might not be the best place to ask, but I'm sick of RedHat's shit (subscription managemenr and Satellite 6) and want to migrate the fleet (~500) to something else, was thinking of migrating to oracle linux for our oracle servers, but for the rest (jboss/webservers/postgres/mysql etc) I'm not sure if I should go with something else. Anyone been in a similar position or have any suggestions?

Just installed Debian on my ThinkPad. I have a dock for it and what I'd like to accomplish is being able to leave the laptop itself closed, but use the external monitor with it anyway. So I'll need to do two things:

>if the laptop is docked and monitor is connected, don't put it to sleep when closed
>if the laptop is docked, closed and the monitor is connected, set monitor 2 as the primary monitor

I used arandr to configure two monitors at once, and I can configure it to use only monitor 2 as well. But I'm not sure how to change the power management or how to trigger the arandr scripts to change screens.

Running URXVT, and for some reason no matter what I do I can't get fonts to work/ change properly. Every time I try setting a different font, it either completely breaks the entire terminal, or it just defaults to the same exact font every time. I don't even know what font it defaults to, since every single font looks them same when set in .Xresources.

What am I doing wrong? If possible, I would really like to use Terminus or Tewi, but it refuses to set properly.

Do you need a desktop profile for i3wm (Gentoo)?

Attached: 1234_rage.png (538x308, 251K)

No, you don't.

I want to learn my way around GNU/Linux but I don't understand how you're supposed to keep track of everything. Every single time I come to a Linux thread I find out about some other way in which it's more fragmented than I previously thought. You have thousands of distros, multiple package managers, repos, DEs/DWMs, etc. Each of those probably having thousands of branches reaching into the void. Absolutely nothing is consolidated. Where in the fuck do you even start?

Thousands of distros is an exageration. There may be numerically if you counted every one but I would not recommend a newbie go on distrowatch and start taking notes. The only relevant distros are really Ubuntu and its variants, Debian (which Ubuntu is based on), Fedora (based on an enterprise product), Arch, and, Gentoo. I would suggest starting with either Ubuntu, Debian, or, Fedora. Ubuntu is the easiest. Once you have a linux installed you have accomplished the most important first step. Package managers are basically what defines a distro so you don't need to seperate those items in your list. Everything else can basically be installed easily and for the most part concurrently with an alternative program. This allows you to narrow down the set up that best accomodates what you want to do. Basically pick a task, search ways to accomplish, try multiple, decide what you like.

Attached: 1518200146064.jpg (448x527, 49K)

Hey frends, I'm trying to learn installing Arch. Should I care about uefi and legacy boot if I'm dual booting with windows 7?

Just pick one distro and keep with it.

Here you can see how the distros are related.
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg
As you can see there is only few big trees, based on the "mother" distros like Debian or RHEL.

In the end, there isn't that much difference between them, package management and default configs and release style are the main ones. If you aim for a job or something similar, just grasping how to manage Debian and/or RHEL is enough for base knowledge.

I can't even wrap my head around it because I don't have a basic understanding of the fundamentals.

Why does it seem like most distros are based off a select few (Ubuntu, Debian, RedHat, etc.)? Are there fundamental differences between those? Why do they seem to serve as the framework for so many others?

What do you mean when you say package managers "define" a distro? What constitutes the decision to include certain software in repos but exclude others? What's even the point considering that you can just grab repos that include software you want anyway?

Because there is a tag called "automatically installed". It will remove those if they are no dangling depencies on "manually installed" packages.
If you want to, you can mark _all_ packages manually installed, then it wont remove shit unless you explicitly tell it to. But that will lead to a fuckton of cruft in the long run, since good luck remembering all the decencies package X pulled and manually removing them.

>Why does it seem like most distros are based off a select few
It's called history aka they are older and more established ecosystems.

>google

Attached: 1521154921721.jpg (604x482, 59K)

What distro will ship with drivers and all for nvidia and wont have screen tearing like cinnamon does?

Each distro has a repo of software it provides, it requires man power to keep packages patched and fresh in the repos. Some distros have that others don't.

Think how fragmented software is out there, different ways to install, different config formats and places etc. distros unify that, sometimes patching the software in question to play nicely with others in the system.

Then there are distros like Arch which has a small main repo which they maintain and huge user based repo where anyone can upload software and they try to provide very vanilla software with out patching. That results in having software how the upstream intended, but the downside is each of the upstream developers have their own idea how software should be installed and how it operates with others. Ie. you could have multiple locations for certain config files.

There is no right way, thus we have multiple distros to cater different needs.

And Android has tens of thousands of apps and roms.

Windows too, actually on the application end. Never mind all the settings. So what?!

>he thinks they aren't all relevant here all the way down to 9front and templeOS due to memes

Attached: glaugh.jpg (500x370, 59K)

>where do you start
Debian/ubuntu.
Look up a DE, choose what looks nice. I'd try cinnamon. Later move to i3 if you want lots of customization and a tiling WM.

>no actual discussions about botnet and/or jq
g-goys?

Attached: asfdafasfsfsaddfas.jpg (232x217, 8K)

>submit translation file for free software
>takes weeks for the owner to notice and merge
Why are they so lazy? I reply to questions to my shitty software that only 3 people use (2 of them are my mother an I), yet they apparently can't spend 30 seconds to improve everyone's experience.

Do it in a container

I'm using ubuntu after having used arch for a few years. I can't stand the amount of updates I have to deal with on arch, but I also don't like how old the packages on ubunto are.
Is there any distro that's more in the middle?

just update arch less often (whenever you want), you don't /need/ to update it every day
it's hard to define what "middle" is, one could argue ubuntu /is/ in the middle of say, arch and debian stable
basically, if regular ubuntu is too old for you, chances are you want a rolling-release system, and rolling-release systems naturally get a lot of updates, that's what keeps them new

Ok, thanks. I think I'll try opensuse next time.

There is no middle ground. You either use a fixed release schedule or you do rolling release upgrades. There is no middle ground.

Your "problems" are also retarded and non-existent problems.

I never said it was a problem, these are just things I don't like.

How do i upgrade the Ubuntu base and/or kernel from the command line, without using the GUI Software Updater?

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade

>jq
What's to discuss? It's stubborn refusal to output to anything but a tty?

jesus christ thank you

last time i used the GUI Software Updater it froze mid-update for 20 min, and after i killed the process my network adapter stopped working so I had to reinstall the OS

fuck the GUI

Attached: wikiped.png (347x220, 9K)

if you know what you're doing, you can fix damn near anything without resorting to a reinstall
erased /bin, /usr? fixable
broken bootloader (any reason)? fixable
broken package manager? fixable (as long as the db of installed packages in intact, pita if that's damaged)
interrupted/broken install of something critical? fixable

as long as you have intact and accessible;
a; edited system configs and user-created files
b; package manager db
you can fix it without loss quite easily, as 'a' represents anything not part of a package, which can be reinstalled, and 'b' represents what packages you had installed, you can get by without the package manager db, but only then i would consider a reinstall, as at that point that's basically what you're doing.

Use whatever your windows is currently set to use.

I need a bit of help with CentOS.

I'm trying to get WebKitGtk4 on my machine, trying to install the package from the epel repo says that the package is missing (no package webkitgtk4.x86_64 available, error: nothing to do).

It seems like the package I want just isn't there, even though it should. I updated epel to make sure the package would be there, but it still seems to be nowhere to be found.
Do I need to build the package myself or am I just fucking something obvious up?

I'm pretty new to CentOS and linux in general so I'm a bit lost.
I'm doing all this with CLI.

There is no webkitgtk4 in the epel repo, why do you want to pull it from there?
CentOS updates repo has
>webkitgtk4-2.14.7-3.el7.x86_64.rpm

So I need to do sudo yum install webkitgtk4-2.14.7-3.el7.x86_64.rpm ?

Linux intermediate here, if I install and use Arch then will I have to dedicate a lot of time regularly to maintaining my operating system or can I use it casually and not give a fuck about updates? I want to try it out in order to learn more about how Linux works but I want to have a life outside of computers too.

I like zsh autocompletion but I'd rather use bash in my terminal. Is that possible to use zsh style auto complete with bash?

>so apt-get update/upgrade just updates packages and not the base/kernel itself?
read the man page, upgrade will upgrade all packages that does not require removing any other packages for upgrade. to upgrade everything to the newest version you should use dist-upgrade, or full-upgrade, which will resolve dependencies anew (possibly removing old dependencies).

>Linux intermediate
No, not at all. Just pin the desired repos and set up some cronjobs.

No, just..
sudo yum install webkitgtk4

I've tried that already and it says "no package webkitgtk4 available"
Just so we're clear, I have to use the right repo to get the package, because if I try to install webkitgtk from the rpm it asks for a ton of dependencies. Right?

pick a distro , use it, learn default things. when you pick another distro (package manager de etc) you learn by comparison and man pages.
Package managers work mostly similar after you read the man pages.

if you automate some basic tasks you probably wont have to touch anything at all. This is the same for any other distro though. Installing and forgetting about updates is not a great idea on a rolling distro, because the longer you wait with updates, the more complicated they get for the system to resolve. Use debian stable with a weekly apt-update job if you dont want to maintain updates imo.

bind 'set show-all-if-ambiguous on'
bind 'TAB:menu-complete'

Should make it similar, but it won't autocomplete the choices. ie.
$ cat fi
file1 file_this file_that

zsh would complete to "file" and then show the choices, while bash will just cycle all "fi*" matches.

>try to think up some stuff to run on vm server so it's not just the old boring webserver
>try to run tor exit node for a bit to help the freedom in the name of stallman and because the technology is interesting
>get banned on four chins
well shit, we just can't have anything nice it seems
i thought people stopped doing that back way when during the freeman pasta

is it safe to run an inner node instead i wonder?

linux won’t get you a girlfriend you loser numale cucks

eh?
yum search webkitgtk4

Right, you can install the rpm directly, but you need to install the dependencies manually then.
Like I said the webkitgtk4 package is in the main centos repo, specifically in the updates repo. So yum install should work. Have you changed the repo config files?

No, let me explain a bit first.
I am not the provider of this CentOS machine, it was provided by an external partner to my dev team. I am installing a Kofax software that requires me to have webkitgtk4, as far as I know the repo config files are the default ones, but they might not be. When I attempted to use the expected command sudo yum install webkitgtk4 [/spoiler] it says that the package can not be found, thus it won't install.
At the moment I don't have access to the machine, but I will attempt later to use the search function and make sure that the package is in the repos.
This is all a bit confusing because I'm really new to Linux and I'm doing this on CLI through SSH.
Anyway, thanks for the help.

While emerging qutebrowser:
bpaste.net/show/0b88800ec871

How should I proceed?

For fucks sake, what a massive fuckup of a post. Let me try again.

I am not the provider of this CentOS machine, it was provided by an external partner to my dev team. I am installing a Kofax software that requires me to have webkitgtk4, as far as I know the repo config files are the default ones, but they might not be. When I attempted to use the expected command sudo yum install webkitgtk4 it says that the package can not be found, thus it won't install.
At the moment I don't have access to the machine, but I will attempt later to use the search function and make sure that the package is in the repos.
This is all a bit confusing because I'm really new to Linux and I'm doing this on CLI through SSH.
Anyway, thanks for the help.

pretty retarded question but how do you guys connect to the internet wirelessly on arch? The wiki shows how to do it through the command line but it seems like a lot of effort to do repeatedly

I used wifi-menu
Look up netctl-auto
disclosure: I no longer use Arch

My old linux server died (it was some old computer). Since I no longer have old shit to use as home server I thought about buying a dedicated machine for all my stuff.
Intended use : mumble, downloading shit, saving all my stuff, music and video streaming, web hosting (nothing big, it's mainly to show what I'm working on or play around), FTP server (some friends will use it, and might want to stream their stuff)

What should I look for ? I still haven't decided on the budget, but I don't want to waste more than 500€ (not counting the HDD).

Also what's a good silent case, with at least 4 HDD slots ?

>Linux intermediate here, if I install and use Arch then will I have to dedicate a lot of time regularly to maintaining my operating system or can I use it casually and not give a fuck about updates?
Archlinux can take some time to install if you never done it before or aren't used to this kind of stuff, but once you got everything installed, maintaining it is basically running your package manager.
Even if you update it once per month it will work perfectly.

>I want to try it out in order to learn more about how Linux works but I want to have a life outside of computers too.
You'll learn a lot by installing it and setting everything up. Once your shit is installed and you got all running, you won't learn more than with another distribution.
It's fine tho.

3 4

this should be enough

I'm using Linux Lite, which is Ubuntu and XFCE based (i'm not sure how this works, sorry).
It is normal to only receive "name of device: :0" when i run glxinfo on the cmd line?

I think I messed up the graphic drivers because most of my application with graphic interface aren't working (eg. firefox, chrome, vlc, netbeans, OpenOffice), but some still work somehow (sublime, discord).

When I try to run the program to automatic update the drivers nothing happens either.

Some weeks ago I tried to install the amd gpu proprietaries drivers since my computer was using the onboard graphics, but since I got some bugs I found that using onboard graphics was easier. amdgpu-pro is uninstalled right now.

>It is normal to only receive "name of device: :0" when i run glxinfo on the cmd line?
I don't think it is.

> I think I messed up the graphic drivers
Well, you can check dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.0.log for starters. Maybe hwinfo, lspci -k, and so on, too.

Sorry, but what I should be looking for, exactly? I'm on dual boot only since my phone is dead. I will try anyway, thanks.

Can I use the Gentoo Minimal ISO to install Funtoo?

These tools' / logs' diagnostic output, to see what graphics drivers your system is using and such, maybe if any errors happened.

Initial information gathering, maybe you can find an issue or formulate a plan of action what to do after you know where you're at now.

Stop trying to fix that heap. Just download Ubuntu 17.10 network installer image and tasksel the XFCE desktop on top of a minimal install.

amdgpu-pro is only for CAD. Everyone else is better off with regular amdgpu provided by Ubuntu. They have PPAs with the bleeding edge kernel/mesa/Xorg if you want better support for games. Don't try to install the drivers from AMD's site yourself.

Oh, I realized it even might not be CentOS 7 then..
Check the OS version first once you get the chance.
cat /etc/centos-release
It would explain the missing package.

But if it is, this will list all repos set on the machine, enabled and disabled.
yum repolist all
for enabled
yum repolist enabled

The repo configs are stored at
/etc/yum.conf
/etc/yum.repos.d/*

IIRC you can reset/set the default repos by re-installing centos-release package.
rpm -Uvh --force mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/Packages/centos-release-7-4.1708.el7.centos.x86_64.rpm

Then clean and update
# yum clean all
# yum update

Hope that helps.

How to know that someone is using Arch?
Don`t worry, he will tell you!

on the Xorg.0.log I found these errors:

open /dev/dri/card0: no such file or directory
screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section
AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

Ok, I guess.. Can't I just reinstall the system I have? Overriding, etc?

With similar use case, I have the G4400 and a msi b150 board with 4x sata and 1x m2.
Case is the fractal node 304.

It's worked perfectly fine so far and the power consumption is non-existant on idle.

Thanks a ton!