/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60; X200, T400/500
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot on T420; Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T/W52/30 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, 64gb of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive. Bad stock cooling reported by multiple owners.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: X41.jpg (1300x1300, 757K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rootscope.com.au/products/lenovo-x220-i5
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What do you mean, user? Like, it should be mirrored? I put it based on a first gen X1.

Do girls stare at you weird for whipping out a thinkpad in public

Am I autismo?

Attached: loadout.png (720x503, 610K)

The text reads rightside up when the lid is closed

>tfw 70% of people at my uni have a ThinkPad, most of them a P51 or a T470
>tfw my T430 is almost always the oldest computer in the room, but nobody notices because it'sjust another thinkpad

Whenever I pull out my 17'' P70 I get a couple of leers

I bought an X1 carbon gen 2 i7-4600u and 8gb Ram for $300. Replacing it's old WQHD screen $110, a 1TB ssd $150. Has gen 3 trackpad but still has the shit touchbar thing.

I have another X1 in parts to transplant if any are others are fucked when it arrives. But looking forward to 2550x1440 IPS (or whatever) display. Should be zippy enough when it's built. Then I can sell spare parts to offset the cost.

Question - can intel i7-4600u HD integrated graphics (4400 I think) support 4K video playback?

Oh if its the x1 then you're fine.

Post eGPU setups

I don't leave my house, I just bought a thinkpad to shitpost from my bed.

Gran Autismo

X1 Carbon Gen 1 8GB i5

Useful or forget about it?

Post your face when Thinkpad is in the mail

Attached: BRAAAAAAP.gif (309x380, 2.78M)

Attached: wojak-numale.png (644x800, 15K)

post your face when Sup Forums memes you into buying an x220/x230, you turn it on and get that first look at the screen quality.

Attached: Dat-screen.gif (245x230, 1.97M)

IPS or not IPS?

Now buy the 1080p mod.

Attached: Disappointment_gif.gif (500x275, 580K)

Reposting here too

Let's have an experiment.
Discontinue these threads for two weeks and *try* to refrain from posting about memepads, and lets observe the average buy it now price of all the popular models that you guys pick.

Attached: 1509239978793.png (480x429, 225K)

Attached: america.gif (372x209, 1.93M)

No.

Attached: ca9e43ba7bf6480f2c2c2044d3ce850fee153f89ac0bcf30ed59111f58ee8ac7.png (266x338, 100K)

Attached: casey-neistat.jpg (1140x700, 92K)

Would there be a noticeable difference in terms of performance between 2133 vs 1866 MHz of RAM of the same memory capacity?

any of you own a ThinkPad that runs games like LoL "well"?

Can't go without the (you)s for a couple days user?

google it.

Attached: elrrhnc8mkiz[1].png (968x645, 86K)

The reason I asked here is for firsthand experiences. But fuck it, /tpg/ is only useful for boasting about prices and >muh T420
I'm sorry to have even bothered asking.

buying the new panel + the mod and shipping cost more than Thinkpad. Why even bother?

Stop being such a pleb. Of course you won't notice the difference. Did you really need to ask?

because if you are anal about screen quality and resolution it's worth it. i bought an x230 i7 with a cracked screen for about $100 and threw the mod and panel in. no ragrets

i fucking love the x201
i have the x220 and the trackpad on that think is fucking awful, i have no idea why they didnt use the x201 trackpad on it instead. I don't even fucking use the trackpad but how terrible it is bothers me; its one of those ones where the whole fucking thing is a button instead of having multiple buttons to click with
unfortunately i have the x201i which has a shitty celeron processor. I shouldnt let it bother me because my x220 is pretty powerful and i even have the trackpad disabled in bios but god it sucks

This

>replying without picture
>replying without anime picture
Go to sleep impostor-kun.

Attached: 1488446042820.png (613x619, 147K)

>gen 3 trackpad
didn't even know this was possible.
Can you also swap out that terrible keyboard?

Well, I'm heading to bed.
I'll come by in a few days, try to brainstorm a justification for these shitty threads in the meantime.

Attached: 1505698247083.png (1800x1578, 438K)

>X201
no not really

stay

Attached: ..jpg (569x336, 35K)

no my uni rents out E430s

>3rd gen ulv, not efficient enough, not really that fast either
>small battery
>soldered ram, so 8 gb is a good idea
eh

I'm here to talk about thinkpads and help people with problems you retard
I hate reddit and any other non anonymous forum
now fuck off back to either one of them and be a faggot there

I play overwatch on my X230 at 30 fps on the igpu but really

>I bought an X1 carbon gen 2
why
>still has the shit touchbar thing.
there is no solution to this
why would you buy a X1C2?

you do know there are literally a tens of other thinkpad forums?

>X201
>Not IBM T61

swing and a miss

Edge E545 here, A10 APU would probably run it well

What's the best ThinkPad for a VN weebmachine? Budget isn't an issue. I plan to run Win 7 Enterprise.

just dont press it
my only complaint is not having a no touchpad model

>T61
>not a T60
try harder kiddo
if youre going autismo, go full freetard autismo

something with a small screen that matches the aspect ratio of what youre playing
so either 4:3 or 16:9?

what the swiss army of thinkpads? the one with the most features good or bad, feature packed or over-engineered depending on your POV.

Thank you! It looks like the majority are 4:3 so I'll focus on those.

>he thinks Sup Forums is anonymous

t420/t430 i think

> Playing moba trash

Sell your Thinkpad and then immediately kill yourself.

That said, I have a T400 with a 256MB HD3470 and I play Outrun 2006 and Space Hulk from time to time.

I don't play games at work, and don't use my Thinkpad outside of home/work very often due to pic related.

Attached: batterylife.jpg (333x129, 6K)

>T60
>Not T601F

Step up nigga

to you it is
if it isnt, tell me
who am I?

I'd recommend the X60 for maximum memes or X61s for maximum comfy

X61

Can someone tell me if rootscope.com.au/products/lenovo-x220-i5 is worth it?
Most x220's on ebay are around $200 aud with postage anyways and with this, the only thing I will need to buy is an IPS screen

Is it possible to modify the Thinklight to emit a blacklist instead, to illuminate the white of the keys on the keyboard?

>I bought an X1 carbon gen 2
>why
X1 I got was free and I broke it playing with the insides. I wanted the i7 anyway and that mobo is $300 on its own or $300 for the same mobo still in a laptop so I got the premium version of the same one, now have an abundance of parts.
>still has the shit touchbar thing.
>there is no solution to this.
>why would you buy a X1C2?
I'm not concerned about the touch bar. I had a macbook pro with touch bar and you might have to sit down for this: it's not a big fucking deal.

The X1 i7 touch bar is a bit fucked, but I can use the spare one. It'll be a great condition laptop and last ages. I'll sell spare parts for money back. I7-4600u 8GB ram, 1tb ssd, wifi, Bluetooth, windows 10 LTSB, WQHD display all for less than $400

Bargain

>who am I?
you are anonymous poster 65175928
who is anonymous_pleb9001 on reddit?
Wow, guess what, he is just as anonymous as you are. Go figure!

Install a black light LED where the camera is?

Replace the white Thinklight LED with a black light one.

That IPS screen sure was a beautiful sight.

Attached: 1497541015196.jpg (250x196, 7K)

You just like older shit that still works.

I'm in love with this pic

Anyone else interested in the A275? Its Bristol Ridge CPU is outdated and it costs too much right now, but it seems like very few are being sold. 4 years from now it will be cheap and rare with very good meme potential.

I know I've posted this picture in a few threads now but I'm still so satisfied with my T440p.

£162 total, I dare any britfags to beat that.

I thought newer ThinkPads would be harder to open and replace parts, but it's easier on my T440p than my X220. I'm dumbfounded.

Attached: 20180316_105312_HDR.jpg (4640x2610, 3.34M)

>X1 I got was free
understandable
enjoy your new "thinkpad"
I say that in quotes because I despise the other shitty things plus everything you had to fix for it to be any where useful

No, because it's a business laptop and as long as you don't look like a hobo nobody will glance twice.

exactly and thats the point

pop the bezel and see if you can swap the LED

you forgot to swap the garbage touchpad

Yeah you're right; I think in the next 5 years or so, this laptop will be on the recommended list on the OP.

I like how it looks and I'm sure it'll be fine for my usage, but I just don't like the hinges; the screen opens to block the back of the laptop. That's the only reasonable place to put the charger and ethernet port and they're wasting that space

I'm ordering one on Friday.

I wanted to use it for a while to see what all the fuss was about, but oh boy was that a mistake. At least I've learned.

i-is he right thinkbros?

Attached: C3e9kqbUkAAclnm.jpg (1200x675, 69K)

No, because
>discord
>reddit
Spending 1000+ bucks on a work laptop
kek

Attached: 034504904.jpg (1280x1280, 268K)

>cheap and rare with very good meme potential
>cheap
no probably not
the few idiots will either think they have collector's item and mark it up or you'll see the same prices as a base T470
>meme potential
>doesnt support meme keyboard
>16:9
>no pcie expansion
>no libreboot yet and I wouldn't hold my breath see how thats going with newer cpus
>garbage outdated architecture that's basically shoulder to shoulder with low and mid end ivy bridge i3 and i5s with only good feature being the igpu outclasses a few dgpus but is promptly murdered by anything nvidia
why would I pay more for a T430/X230/T530/W530 with no classic keyboard, no egpu support, same garbage aspect ratio, worse repairability and worse design
or worse
why would I pay the same for a 70 series thinkpad with no thunderbolt 3?

no he's just a frogposter
why would you ever listen to a frogposter?

make sure its the synaptics touchpad though

Ah fair enough.

Into the /trash/ it goes.

you can definitely count on raven ridge being in the OP
especially if the intel free thunderbolt 3 implementation goes through

How can I tell? Listings don't explicitly state, most of the time.

not for another 10-15 years or until sandy bridge and ivy bridge is borderline unusable from hardware based exploits

dont know I dont own a 40 series thinkpads but most /tpg/ and reddit posts say you should get the synaptics one
maybe search for an FRU
those change from manufacturer to manufacturer

Good decision to order a replacement, since you have a T440p the swap will be easy.
I have a T440, which makes the swap harder, but I still might do it. For some reason the clickpad stops responding if I use the trackpoint, and the trackpoint stops responding if I use the clickpad. Awful.

ThinkPad T-60 is a decent computer. I have a T2500 C2D CPU, 2gb RAM and the ATI x1400 (no libreboot, because of the ATI sadly) and it's fine if you aren't a degenerate gamer.

The only problem is that the native wireless pcie cards don't support n wireless, and the BIOS needs an update in order to use other wireless pcie cards.

Under the recommendation of Sup Forums I picked up an x220 on the ebay for a little over $100. Not a bad little book. Only problem was the cooling fan took a crap after a couple of days, so it's out getting repaired right now.

I want to use it to learn Linux. Are there any good Sup Forums suggested guides on how to get started with Linux? Any help would be great!

Attached: 20180317_204712.jpg (2560x1440, 575K)

I want a refurbished business class laptop with:
>recent-ish quadcore cpu
>16+ gb ddr3/4 ram
>under $400

Is this possible?

What's the best thing to do with charging? Is it bad if I use I with the power lead all the time or should I drain and recharge the battery? I could run it off mains without battery but then if lead comes out it's dead.

W530 if you need dgpu
T440p if you dont need dgpu

thanks!

Attached: 1521292483642.png (1280x878, 72K)

Attached: pink wojak.png (280x291, 88K)