Talos II

what does it do, what is it for, why is it so expensive

Attached: boardlarge.png (1000x667, 649K)

it says on the webpage you spastic
"For all your biomedical research needs"

PRRAAAAAAAIIIIISEE Talos brethren, for I LOVE YOU.

>what does it do, what is it for,
It's a professional desktop computer for professional desktop needs.
>why is it so expensive
Because it's not mass produced in millions.

>what does it do
It's a computer.

>why is it so expensive
It's not for gaymers and poorfags.

Hello brother! Did you preorder too?

Attached: Clipboard01.png (960x428, 35K)

Are they going to ship them soon? The pricing on the CPUs is actually really good if you need the power. 18 core 72 threads is only $1300, $2600 doesn't buy much when it comes to xeon 2p systems. You can get 144 cpu threads for less than 10k with this.

no shit
what does this system offer for the price over a typical server or workstation? what features does it have?
it uses a power9 processor. why? what are the advantages of this? why not x86? what is the use case?

>what does this system offer for the price over a typical server or workstation? what features does it have?
See
The pricing is competitive.

>it uses a power9 processor. why? what are the advantages of this? why not x86? what is the use case?
Botnet and why should it be x86? What's the counter argument? There's no reason for it to be x86 if the applications it's used for aren't used by proprietary software that's x86 specific.

>18 core 72 threads is only $1300, $2600 doesn't buy much when it comes to xeon 2p systems.
They system is almost $6k for dual 4 core chips you retard. And if you're referring to just the chips, it is similar to Xeons, and the cost of barebones dual socket systems for Xeons are 1/3rd of what they're charging for this.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 5.03.03 AM.png (2424x1146, 333K)

Are you retarded?

>macfag
Obviously.

Attached: Clipboard02.png (1202x545, 62K)

>Are you retarded?
Are you? I addressed the cost of chips and a motherboard in my post.

I haven't been able to find any benchmarks for power9. Has anyone other than google gotten their hands on it?

Nope. The system is 4.8k. You realize the discussion is about the board with it's CPUs?
You were talking about the whole workstation and didn't even specify the right CPU.

You have no idea about modern high end Xeons it seems.

Not yet as the talos got delayed to the end of the month, with 2x 18 core cpus + mobo being under 5k I expect it to beat x86 2p systems pretty badly per $.

>Are you? I addressed the cost of chips and a motherboard in my post.
2x 18 core xeons is $5400 alone for the CPUs, that's not even taking into account the power9 has 4 threads per core, it's unlikely 2 xeon threads will equal 4 power9 threads in performance.

2x 32 core epyc would likely be a good competitor but you're looking at $8000+ just for the CPUs. Prices on high end X86 CPUs are heavily inflated due to a lack of competition.

>why not x86?
Botnet

so, does it run amiga os?

Nobody wants anything to do with a furry OS which has been dead for over 2 decades.

I really want one of these despite having no use whatsoever for it. I think it's the autism.

Are there even any usable web browsers that work on POWER?

>why not x86?
someone said 'biomedical' earlier so i assume power9 is better suited to biomedical computing (?) but also because x86 has been exposed for numerous backdoors and security failures in the past

>Are there even any usable web browsers that work on POWER?
Firefox, Chromium

it's 5k, that's 2.5 gaymer computers for a non botnet one. Prices will come down eventually too.

do power9 cpus have popcount/lzcnt/tzcnt instructions? I find them very useful

Just build a workstation with consumer/prosumer parts

I kinda want one just so I have a reason to install Gentoo.