OpenOffice v. LibreOffice

Which is better, and why?

Attached: openoffice-vs-libreoffice.png (650x300, 69K)

I thought LibreOffice was the continuation of the discontinued OpenOffice. Apparently I don't know anything.

They're both great for submitting garbled CV's and never getting a call back on that job offer.

I use libreoffice and can confirm it's utter trash. From the top of my head:

Often, the documents change formatting after saving and reloading, random crashes since 6.0 came out (with poor document recovery), corrupted in-app icons and bad layout.

I haven't used openoffice for 10 years or so.

I'm afraid pirated Microsoft Office is the way to go.

You might consider converting them in PDF first

Been using OpenOffice for years. Pretty comfy. LibreOffice I found to be slow. Particularly on Ubuntu.

>I'm afraid pirated Microsoft Office is the way to go.
LaTeX

They're both still developed, they both have more or less the same features, and they're both fucking trash.

I've had it happened to pdf's created through libre office many times

Word Processors have always been a meme.

Even groff is better than those shitty programs.

The pdfs I've exported from libreoffice look just fine.

Yeah me too. They look fine to me, but are unreadable for someone using acrobat reader for example.

RMarkDown

Both are painfull to use, it pains me but i bought ms office for excel.

ExCeL

I'd really like to see those pdfs.
I find it hard to believe that someone could fuck up the pdf export.

>WYSIWYG
Both of them are horrible solutions. If you want to format a text properly and convert it to a file extension that perfectly respects the page layout and formatting you have created and that anyone can view on his/her device even in 20 years, LaTeX is the only viable solution. LaTeX's learning curve is steep at the beginning, but it has thorough and wide documentation, it's free and it allows you to customize every little detail of your document. Office suites are easy at the beginning, but their efficiency is limited: the more complex the operations you need to do, the worse they become. Time spent on learning LaTeX is always well spent.

Dumb and consequently less powerful than LaTeX

MS Office or G Suite

The reasons you like MS office better is the same reason we should have open formats.
Fuck microsoft.

LibreOffice because it's the only accepted word processor at my uni, I'd use Word otherwise.

Why would you do that, go on the internet and tell lies?

>he can't create pdfs from scratch

while i agree about open formats, i also seek efficient software ; too bad neither libre nor open office are of such sofware

Is LaTeX just a word processor ir can I work on spreadsheets and presentations too?

I've been using LibreOffice for a year now and it's complete shit, specially Calc

It's more than a word processor, LaTeX is a professional tool that allows you to create every kind of document you want IN THE WAY you want.

>presentations
I have ditched Impress, Power Point ecc.ecc. Since when I learnt making presentations with LaTeX Beamer. It's simply too efficient and beautiful.

>pdf
>a format that ensures it looks the same on all platforms
>somehow it's different in the adobe reader
Yeah no faggot

This is happening to you because you're literally too dumb to submit PDFs.

Apache OpenOffice has been pretty much abandoned since 2015, the IBM Lotus Symphony source code donation would had given them a bit of edge but almost every dev stuck to LibreOffice anyways

>native .docx
>cross-platform
>lightweight
>collaborative
>centralized docserver

A home server with NextCloud+OnlyOffice is pretty good desu.

Attached: onlyoffice.png (1046x1040, 53K)

OpenOffice. Fuck communism.