What is Java used for, and should I learn it?

What is Java used for, and should I learn it?

Attached: Java_programming_language_logo.svg.png (141x259, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

javacamp.org/javavscsharp/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nearly any programming career, yes.

fpbp

this. don't let the neets try to convince you otherwise.

>What is Java used for
Shitting in the street.
>should I learn it?
If you are Pajeet and/or retarded.

I often hear that c# is better than java but can somebody give me some examples why is that true?

Attached: windows 10 update.jpg (800x555, 202K)

Inb4 faggots talking about slow it is despite being a very fast language in 2018 cause they read it one time on reddit

C# is good. Quite similar to Java. It's personal preference really. Often linux users prefer Java because C# works best on VS.

Attached: rice.png (1366x768, 1.77M)

HotSpot is fast only if you don't count the startup time

C#, the language, is better. It's very similar to Java but with some neat additions (properties, async/await, LINQ etc), while Java seems to have stopped on time.

The C# ecosystem (.NET) however is worse. It's deeply tied to MS products, therefore it's not really portable unless you're doing some very simple things. Speedwise, I'd say Java is slightly better, because the JVM is really optimized for what it does.

Attached: 1518376509202.gif (266x355, 144K)

>javacamp.org/javavscsharp/
It says java camp but everything in there yells at you to use C#.
Off the top of my head are god sent generics, better tree expressions, properties, anonymous types, dynamic and decimal type, no type erasure, no checked exceptions, attributes are way more readable than annotations, easy to interop with C and C++, can use pointers (though not recommended) through unsafe code, #define and #if, namespace aliasing..etc
It also has lots of neat syntactic sugar like extension methods, object initializer (though values are set before constructor is called) and #region
C# also allows you to pass value types by reference (through the use of ref keyword) and define your own value types (through structs)

.NET core is not tied to any platform, is faster than .NET and Java, currently has several game engines.
Hopefully we will get a official or mainstream gui toolkit although we already have gtk core and avalonia.
Also, I am not sure about this, but aren't .net core packages size a lot smaller than the jdk?

Learn Kotlin, it's the language of the future

KEK

If the debate is over which language has more features then C# wins hands down but I'm not convinced it's a better language yet.

I think in 5 years C# will likely be better.

Attached: 1512690990396.jpg (342x454, 117K)

It's used for a ton of things, especially in major enterprises.

Just about every major hospital for example is likely using Java for management of the entire system. IBM makes several big name software that is easily used throughout many industries and is written in Java. You can find this especially in Banking.

Well, it's mostly turning into a spaghetti language like C++, without any clear direction, and being a jack of all trades master of none

The other user or yourself asked for examples and I gave examples.
>has more features
and better implementation.
Also, I am not trying to convince (lol) you.

Yeah wtf were they thinking adding shitty lambdas and 'streams' in 2k18 lmao.

This pretty much. Also, all the pajeets nowadays are using C# afaik

That have existed far longer than that. Besides why are you typing like a twelve year old?

Never mind that my jvm buddy just use kotlin

I can't name any software that I or anyone else uses that was written in Java

Often Linux users prefer Java because it works everywhere, while C# mostly works only on Windows