/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

previous

Attached: iACew9h.jpg (415x415, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/news/samsung-power-outage-flash-pyeongtaek,36670.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/user/ConroyDeploy/saved/rXWqkL
pcpartpicker.com/list/WxDHNQ
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-X3100-M5-Server-Intel-Xeon-E3-1271v3-8GB-Hot-Swap-430W-NEW/282793454825?hash=item41d7cdace9:g:htoAAOSwB3BaStMh
lenovopress.com/tips1165-system-x3100-m5
pcpartpicker.com/product/zgJkcf/gskill-memory-f43200c16d8gvk
msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-PC-MATE#support-mem-13
pcpartpicker.com/list/yqKjcY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

best cooler for an asus z370g? my 8700k is running hot at idle (38-40) and jumping to 50 under like 10% load

this masterliquid 240 aio is bugging me, I can't tell if it's actually flush since it wobbles a bit but everything is screwed in tight, like I tried seating it three times and the lowest it goes is 38 on all cores so I dont think its the seating? what else can go wrong with an aio and how can I tell before I get a new one?

also thinking of delidding it, is it only worth it to do that with "liquid metal" paste?

EVEN HIGHER RAM PRICES COMING
tomshardware.com/news/samsung-power-outage-flash-pyeongtaek,36670.html

delidding is great for the 8700k and it is just liquid metal not paste
as for cooler you can get a high end air cooler like the NH-D15
aio can fail at the pump, perhaps there isn't enough liquid, or it isn't making enough contact
you could try putting some paper that changes color under pressure to check the contact

thanks, I can't stand the look of towers though, just frustrating after shaving shit down so this 240 would clear in my case and the thing is fucked at the pump, I think it is the pump since the hoses never get that hot even when the cpu is hitting 80

Does anyone know where to get black LEDs?

Just built a pc and now thinking of doing a sleeper PC with a hand-down GPU inside a gutted Gateway GP6 400. The rest of the components will be based around the GPU.

The tower is using a 1990’s-2000’s ATX motherboard, so will modern components fit with little to no fabrications?

you might want to send it back if its still under warranty
if it isn't then you can open it up and make sure it has enough liquid inside since it will permeate the tubes over time

Do modern cases and internals still support VGA and PS/2 connections?

newegg says I can't return it, just gonna get another one and hope this one is faulty, shame since I really liked the look of cm masterliquid

What do you think of be quiet! fans?

well what kind of components do you need to replace?

when did you buy it?
check to see if you have a manufacturer warranty

I don't think modern motherboards or graphics cards still use VGA
modern motherboards usually come with 1 PS/2 connection

>VGA PS/2
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

>check to see if you have a manufacturer warranty
shit I got a 2 year warranty, choice

Attached: 1521228675594.png (894x1105, 514K)

Everything in the case. I have my desktop, the one in question is a whole other PC. It still operates with win98, but pretty much nothing to scavenge.

I just want to base parts around an Nvidia GeForce GPU aimed at bein a computer to play emulators on. I even picked up a CRT monitor for it.

Is there any saving it?

Attached: mycomputer.png (669x484, 55K)

so you aren't keeping the mobo then?

Is the mobo still useful?

It’s an intel RC440BX motherboard.

It depends, most motherboards don't but some still have a PS/2 connector (there's a few with two) and a VGA port.

JUST FUCK ME UP SENPAI

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE IF I GOT IT NEW?

Attached: JUST.jpg (520x359, 36K)

send an email to their support and try to get it figured out

absolutely not
as long as your gpu is PCIE you shouldn't have any issue with parts since it will pretty much just be a new build

I have same 3570k, 8gb ddr3 and gtx 760. Thinking of upgrading, just don't know if I should buy used 3770k or just upgrade the motherboard and get the 8600k

Can I do anything with pic related? Or should I take the GPU out, move to a smaller case, and turn into a NAS?

Attached: oldpc.png (1152x711, 72K)

gb ($200 hardware) is mandatory for gaming.
Hi jews.

machine for torrenting or web browsing for a family member

How about putting a stronger CPU and GPU in, worth the effort at all?

1/6

(Used one 7870 for a while, then threw it in a PC I bought for $175 and sold it for $500. Gave the other 7870 to my BiL for his 7850 which I sold for $50.)

Attached: i5 4670k.png (1376x710, 620K)

2/6
Swapped out the i7 for the i5 and flipped for $330.

Attached: alienware.png (598x731, 246K)

3/6
Paid $50

Attached: 2tb.png (629x521, 330K)

well new CPU/GPU would require a new CPU, MOBO, RAM, and GPU
so pretty much a new build minus a PSU or storage which is real cheap

4/6

Attached: 4TB.png (784x556, 249K)

5/6

Attached: 6TB.png (673x319, 21K)

6/*7

Attached: GTX 1060.jpg (960x1280, 387K)

7/7

Attached: monitor.png (482x733, 238K)

No I mean "new" within the scope of what the mobo it has will support. For instance I found an i5 750 for $27, thats a pretty solid deal imo. If I scoured CL and Ebay more I might be able to find a 1st gen i7 as well. And as for GPUs, I believe that mobo can support pretty much anything.

Build.

Guy in the first swapped out his listed 1833MHz for 1600. Well it just happens to OC to 2133...

Attached: Untitled.png (775x651, 45K)

well you talked about a stronger GPU so thats why I said new GPU
if you want to upgrade it you could but I don't really see the reason why especially when it would probably be better to get a cheap build like the ryzen APUs for $500

Nice work, how much was the total and how much time did you put into it?
Its all good, I'm mostly asking out of curiosity. Worst case scenario I would turn it into a plex server anyway. It is just lying around the house after all.

Those of you who are holding out on buying a GPU now, if GPU prices fall what % of MSRP would you consider to be the point at which you'd start buying again? Let's say different % for cards at 1, 6, 12, and 18 months age.

Attached: e6a.jpg (400x300, 9K)

Threefold question
I can get Windows 10 EDU from my uni, I should prefer that over Pro right?

Is it a good idea to put 2 disks (1 hdd and 1 ssd) or a disk and a dvd drive (I use it maybe 3-4 times a year) on the same psu cable? My psu is Corsair CX600. If yes which 2?

I haven't installed windows on a pc with more than 2 drives before. Is it possible during the installation of windows to format the disk that I'm not going to put windows on? Let's say that due to malware paranoia (inb4 win 10 is malware) I want my old hdd to be clean before I put windows on the ssd, should I use a live usb to wipe it beforehand? Is it possible to format the C: drive while in windows? The option is there when I right click.

Attached: l7dyyj4hjixz.png (1050x719, 460K)

New toys, boys.

Attached: 20180320_122534.jpg (4032x3024, 3.38M)

Well the 3TB is pulled out of a cheap computer so its final price is going to depend on how much whatever I replace it with costs and how much I flip that for (it will probably end up making me money) so it's hard to price that. The additional 8GB is likewise pulled out of another build, and if I can flip that with 8GB for the same as I bought it with 16 then it's going to be free. But it's:

Mobo, 8GB RAM, 212EVO, and Fractal Design Core 3000 USB 3.0 for $175
i7 4790 for negative $80
GTX 1060 for $140
XFX 550W for $55
640GB Hitachi - Free
1TB Seagate - $60. (bought new post-flood)
2TB Seagate - $50
3TB Seagate - will depend
PNY Optima - $80 new
6TB WD - $60
4TB WD - $60
Monitor - $30

= $630.

There were definitely some hours spent tracking this stuff down, and over the last two years it's gone from an i5 with 7870 through i7/GTX 970 and now with the 1060.

There were EVGA 1060 3gb that was in stock today that I would have bought for $229

raise

Attached: IMG_0278.jpg (3264x2448, 1.9M)

brehs...

Attached: IMG_0351.jpg (3264x2448, 1.62M)

My case hasn't come in yet. Tracker says today but it's 1830 and I have my doubts.

masterliquid 120 or h60?
also in which position i should install?

Attached: aio.jpg (800x1095, 394K)

Why would you buy either?

Because am4, and air-cooler options I have here are either chink shit deepcool or "maybe OOTB am4 support" that I'm not willing to risk (TT frio/riing).

put it on intake, trying to cool the cpu with recycled hot air from the gpu is retarded

Well, the H60 looks nicer.
Position depends on your case but having it as intake is usually better for your CPU.

Attached: illust_67738054_20180320_020832.png (500x729, 246K)

>Win10 Educational vs Pro
Pro. They are similar but you can Google it yourself, but Pro is better imo.

>Cabling
It should be fine on the same cable but consult Corsair to be sure.

>2 drives
Yes at installation time you determine where the OS will reside and use as a boot drive. Go ahead and wipe both if you really want to, all its doing is either zeroing all of the bits, or writing garbage data to the bits. You don't need to though because you're formatting the drives anyway.

WHATS THE BEST CASES FOR FPS

1. If you have it already then it saves you the hassle but Pro likely has more features
2. Unless your PSU is garbage it doesn't matter at all
3. Installation wipes the drive you install itnon and you can format any drive (or partition) you want in disk manager

>aio
>put it on rear exhaust
>push pull so it takes up as much room as a tower

lmao

SilverStone SST-VT01B
less distance for the fps to travel means you get more

Waiting for BASED Intel to release the 8 core Coffee Lake and Z390 boards to upgrade.
What's the best M.2 SSD you can buy today? I run a lot of write-heavy workloads (mostly video editing) and I'm about to upgrade my NAS to 10Gbps with a capable switch.

What would 1070s, 1080s, and their TI counterparts be priced at without mining?

MSRP.

960 PRO
1070- $380
Ti- $450
1080- $600 (launch) $500 (after Ti)
Ti- $700

Need to replace a dying 1TB WD Black with something at least 2x in size. What brands are good right now?

Hitachi (HGST)

>multithreaded/write heavy
literally the one use case where AMD btfos intel and you are waiting for an 8 core meme

>black LEDs

Attached: 1504668590632.gif (300x222, 437K)

pcpartpicker.com/list/

Hey Sup Forums, it's been 7 years since I built this, and it's showing it's age. Particularly by means of my video card dying and my CPU fan not sticking to my motherboard anymore. And my top case fan not working unless I pull on the connector.

(I now have a EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 power supply compared to that link)

Given this situation, I'm thinking of going to a i7 and acceptable video card since I mostly do video editing over gaming now. Any thoughts on what's good?

With my current motherboard, I'm thinking of the i7-2700K and GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. Admittedly I just picked these from a glance from the compatibility selector. It's been a long time.

Should I replace my motherboard too while I'm at it to modernize it? Money isn't an issue, but I'd rather not go too overboard if I'm not going to need it.

Attached: Fat otaku heaven.jpg (1136x640, 84K)

You can make your own black LEDs. Take a normal LED and paint it black so that only black rays would come out. Or you can buy LEDs labeled as "IR" or "UV", they often come in pitch black frame.

You can't copy the URL for PCPartPicker

Hey guys, I asked about making a Ryzen 5 oriented build in the last thread and I came up with a PC part picker parts list thanks to some suggestions from here and a friend.
pcpartpicker.com/user/ConroyDeploy/saved/rXWqkL
Advice is welcomed.
Someone told me to wait out for the Asus x470 so I'm going to wait to buy my motherboard until I hear if the x470 is worth getting compared to my current choice.
I was also going to go with a SSD, but I want to opt out for an HDD instead for the larger storage since I intend to do video editing on this computer as well, so more storage space is a must.
I'm trying to keep this build as cheap but still decent for low end gaming and video editing.
I don't have to worry about keyboards/mice/monitors since I have some laying around.

Attached: 1515423892283.jpg (1209x1568, 227K)

I'm going to build a Ryzen PC next but need to sell some of my components. My buddy asked me to sell him my CPU...

What's a fair price for a used i7 - 4770k ? Anyone know?

Oh.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1139x887, 165K)

Honestly, if you aren't going to do a whole rebuild I'd add more ram to 16gb and get a 1060

More than Ryzen.

yeah, but what would be a fair price?

I'd stick with the 2500k. You're only looking at around a 20% gain for an i7. Get a 212 EVO if your CPU cooler is broken.
Top case fan doesn't matter. Even if the case doesn't have another fan just open the size. If it does, don't worry about it.

*open the side

ditch the optical drive completely.
get an SSD. either save money now by ditching the HDD and get one later down the road, or spend the extra cash on SSD + HDD. Should go with at least 240GB (my biggest regret from my first PC was going with a 120GB SSD which very soon ran out of space for OS+important programs+games, I ended up reinstalling everything on a 500GB SSD)

Dumb question.... do DDR4 mobos support DDR3 RAM or is it DDR4 only?

DDR4
DDR3 will not physically fit

Thanks!

I'm asking because my mobo died and instead of buying another 1150 mobo, I was thinking about buying 1151 and selling off the CPU. But it looks like I'd have to buy mobo+cpu+ram if I wanted to get on 1151 and coffee lake train.
Not sure if it's worth it. Not sure what to do...

Really?
Actually, when I think about it I don't think I've used CDs since I burnt some Dreamcast games a handful of years back.
I actually had an SSD initially for this build and forgot to change it when I posted it here, but the price won't be so bad if I removed the optical drive.
Still
>Muh old PC games on CD :(
I could always just get all three and stop being a bitch about it.

Thanks for the advice, gonna do an edit on the list.

Since that list, I now have 24 GB total from some spares. I'll look into the 1060, thanks.

Nice, that's a low-cost alternative to throwing it out entirely. Hope an idiot like me can work it out.

What CPU do you have now and what's your budget for a hypothetical upgrade?

I have an i7-4790K. Works fine (confirmed) but my Asus Mobo (z87 pro) is fried. I also have 16GB of DDR3 with it (4x4 sticks).

So, I've been looking at options and I don't know what I should do... just buy a new 1150 mobo or try to sell the CPU+RAM and then buy Coffee Lake + DDR4RAM + new Mobo.

Budget is around $500. Thoughts? Thanks user!

So this is my complete build. I already bought everything except for the motherboard. I'm still not sure if I should get this mobo, people seem to have problems with it based on newegg user reviews. Should I go for it anyway, or find another one? If so, which one would you recommend? Preferably something under $100 if it's possible.

pcpartpicker.com/list/WxDHNQ

Attached: untitled.png (1084x615, 59K)

Your best option is to get a new board because anything new will be worse in that price range

so lads, when would it be a good time to rebuild my PC?
seems like at this rate I might never find a good time to build with all these price increases

Could this thing be fixed up to make a good desktop PC?

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-X3100-M5-Server-Intel-Xeon-E3-1271v3-8GB-Hot-Swap-430W-NEW/282793454825?hash=item41d7cdace9:g:htoAAOSwB3BaStMh

The CPU seems to be very good.

Attached: s-l1600I04IB0A6.jpg (1594x1600, 256K)

>453$ for a GTX 1060 6gb
did you realy need it that bad user?

That's a Haswell hyperthreaded 4-core, whoch would perform almost exactly the same as a Ryzen 1400. The video card you get is apparently a Matrox G200eR2 which I can assure you is not good in the slightest, and the motherboard and PSU are not going to be great either.
lenovopress.com/tips1165-system-x3100-m5

It is a more sensible choice to buy a 2200G or 2400G and call it a day.

Attached: illust_62935904_20180311_082018.jpg (654x1024, 175K)

Hey, I've ordered a pc, but I chose the wrong ram like a brainlet.
This is the ram:
pcpartpicker.com/product/zgJkcf/gskill-memory-f43200c16d8gvk
This is de mobo QVL:
msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-PC-MATE#support-mem-13
I now have the option of switching my ram for something that's compatible at 3000MHz, or using the chosen one at lower speeds until a possible BIOS update. Rams are roughly the same price. What should I do bros?

So is an i5 8400 and a GTX 1060 6GB a good combo? I was thinking of upgrading to a 1070 but the prices are way too high, and I'm fine with 1080p gaming. I'm happy with the high framerates.

I think I could consider OCing though

For 1080p gaming that combo is fine.

it's /the/ combo for 1080p gayming. ocing is not worth it though, you'd be much better of spending money on a stronger gpu or more ram rather than 8600k+cooler+better mobo

there's still a chance that they'll work fine.

For a 1060 I would get a 1600 since single-thread doesn't matter at all when you have a GPU bottleneck

I have 2500K, should I upgrade to 8700K or wait for the new lineup of CPUs to be released? I don't really like the amount of power consumption that 8700K requires in OC mode, even though I am okay with delidding it to get good thermals.

pcpartpicker.com/list/yqKjcY
Hopefully prices stay this low, or lower for a few more months while I save up my shekels.

"A chance" isn't really worth the hassle of sending it back and ordering a new one.

I'm trying to build a gaming pc but I'm clueless, would someone be kind enough to help me? discord: autistic abortion#4107

I already have 16gb ram, so I'm okay in that department. I just want a bit more power, but without spending too much on a 1070.