/wt/ - Datch Thread, Digital timepieces edition

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=wyl-V0mrEio

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Attached: casio_databank.jpg (740x718, 242K)

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BgjqbmhB7i0/?hl=en&taken-by=tudorwatch
monochrome-watches.com/seiko-t001-mother-smart-watches/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Previous

38mm by 10.10mm

Attached: Navitimer_1_Automatic_38_with_black_dial_and_black_alligator_leather_strap.jpg (786x1312, 134K)

yawn

Attached: 1521579642911.jpg (736x955, 104K)

At least I'm posting some watch related releases.
That one was at least something new unlike this one which seems to be their regular version with their new movement in it.

Attached: chronomat-blue.jpg (1640x2459, 323K)

Jesus Christ, Tudor.

instagram.com/p/BgjqbmhB7i0/?hl=en&taken-by=tudorwatch

Attached: 17.png (1077x1711, 2.1M)

What's wrong user? Are you not #Born To Dare™

#L'EggoMyEggo

The Super 8 case measures 46mm and 50mm when you include the bidirectional bezel (so 50mm all-in). The screw-locked crown is located on the left-hand side, which is another homage to the 637 whose crown was located in the same place for easy maneuvering. The Super 8 is available in stainless steel with a black dial or titanium with a green dial. The movement is the Breitling B20 which is based on the caliber MT5612, which is the same movement used by Tudor in the Black Bay and Pelagos. The caliber B20 is chronometer certified and has an impressive power reserve of 70 hours.

Attached: SmartSelectImage_2018-03-21-11-05-00.png (971x1136, 1.24M)

More dial textures aside from matte, glossy, & sunburst are always welcome imo.

Wow that's fucking awful. Just look at that date window. Not only is the design terrible, but the execution too.
The font for the numerals is ridiculous. The text clashes completely with the rest of the design. And that date window looks like something you'd find on a $5 aliexpress watch.

I agree with you in principle, but they have to be artfully done. This looks like dogshit.

too small, do you have anything bigger? i don't want /wt/ to think i'm a wristlet

Seems Omega is going ceramic dial for the new Semenmaster

What's up with that crown? Homage to a vintage watch or not, that's ridiculous.
The rest of the design is pretty good though, although the size isn't for me. I wish they went even further with that red marker on the bezel, the original was bigger and lumed.

>That date window looks like something you'd find on a $5 aliexpress watch
Agreed. I literally don't understand why watch companies find it so difficult to be aesthetically consistent. Like, if you're choosing that Bell and Ross-esque font for the numerals, don't fucking have the date window in Helvetica.

Nice alpinist homage

Imitating the pusher of a stop watch.

Did the world really need another B&M Clifton?

Sure, but this isn't one. It just looks stupid and unwieldy.

Ah, that's what's those stupid squished down numerals reminded me of.

Why did they just delete 10 posts

Attached: 7b34c23d54cb499acc13a810cadf6123.jpg (639x960, 115K)

>Sure, but this isn't one. It just looks stupid and unwieldy.
Correct.

The classic case of "at least they tried"

>all le green dial is le alpinist ecks dee
Cancer

INVICTA
N
V
C
T
A

Attached: crysisactr.jpg (1760x2040, 475K)

this shit is laughably bad
it's both derivative and ugly
who sees this and says "I gotta own that"? I seriously can't think of a target demographic.

>tfw not charismatic enough to wear a Casio ironically

I had a silver one and everyone called me a nerd

>G-Shock Protection
She'll need plenty of those

People who want a boring soulless Tissot but from Rolex.

How does the lume on the orient mako/ray ii compare to skx007/009?

The lume is on the Ray is worse, but overall it's a much better watch.
t. guy who cross-shopped them last year

Yeah that's pretty much what I gathered but it is making me reconsider buying the ray. I need it for caving so its very important to be able to read it when it gets dark.

The lume on the Ray is worse, but overall the SKX is a much better watch.
t. guy who cross-shopped them and made the right choice

Attached: Orient-Ray-II-Dive-Watch-Review-26.jpg (1280x738, 516K)

Just get the Ray for regular occasions, and a DW5600 for when you need to spelunk, then.

What is a good watch for an 18-year-old girl? Is a Casio OK?

Enjoy ur ban, girls are not allowed to ask about watches here

Attached: 186e6598-cbab-4820-818e-1dd5c0e3b621.jpg (700x551, 77K)

I already have a watch for regular occasions. What I'm after is a dive watch for swimming, surfing, caves and general outdoorsy stuff. I don't want a casio, at least not at the moment.

>Seiko just discontinued 3 of it's most popular watches.
I know it was the Alpinist, which I'm pissed about. I was going to get one.
What were the other two? You including the /cock/tail time?

It's the other SARBs, 033 and 035.

I have the gold one and use it at the uni, people do not comment on it.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20171224_090833.jpg (2442x2442, 2.91M)

In what way? You've got worse case and dial finishing, a shittier movement and bracelet, and it's substantially more expensive.

My cheap watch just shipped, look at the fucking arrival dates. Unless I wanted to pay $30 for a $3 watch to arrive in reasonable fashion, this is what was available.

Attached: Image 2.png (597x181, 23K)

>digital timepieces edition

Attached: 20180314_234822.jpg (1564x825, 767K)

What is the consensus on the GW-5000-1JF?

Attached: 46EE9DD0-C498-4D89-AC40-88CE9A2EFC48.jpg (225x225, 21K)

Fuck digi-digi watches.

Attached: images (16).jpg (443x332, 12K)

You should get the GW-M5610 instead.

Attached: IMG_20170828_151244_017.jpg (1620x1620, 607K)

Yeah, but the Ray is ugly and you can get a Super Oyster to put on your SKX. What's special about Orient's movements anyway? They finally got rid of that retarded date pusher thing, so now it seems like they're both pretty equivalent bottom-barrel-but-functional movements. Also the matte maxi dial on the SKX is great.

Attached: Orient-F6922-movement.jpg (860x818, 270K)

you have two hours to get it on ebay with their global 15% off.

hi /wt/, does anyone here have a panda chronograph? please post them.

thanks

It has hacking, handwinding, and higher accuracy standard than even a 4R. Also having to buy a $60+ bracelet to make up for the dogshit one it comes with is not a winning value equation when the watch is already about $50 more.

MODS MODS

>they're both pretty equivalent movements
One hacks and handwinds and is generally more accurate. It also happens to be on the watch with the better dial, with applied indices, better case finishing, and better bracelet.

Just spend $500 like that guy in this thread did to make it a decent watch.

Attached: 8E69AA46-57C3-4125-8671-3846F6111D7E.jpg (1536x2048, 681K)

>that lume application only vaguely centered on the indices
>that lume pip nowhere even close to dead on the triangle
it's like I'm really looking at a modded Boctok

How is the case and dial finishing better on the Orient? They seem about equivalent to me.

The Orient is the better value if you don't care about ISO 6425. The SKX is value engineered to hell specifically to be able to sell an ISO diver at a $200 price point, which no one else can even get close to, but that matters only if you care about ISO.

I did that because the SKX is one of the very few divers I like aesthetically. The only other diver I'd ever consider is an in-house Pelagos, but that's obviously at a very different price point.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180116_124749.jpg (2654x2655, 3.08M)

Attached: its started.jpg (640x640, 80K)

You do realize ISO doesn't certify anything, right? They're merely a standards organization who puts out a generally agreed-upon testing regime for companies to use as a benchmark. They're not a testing institute a la COSC. Every manufacturer tests water resistance before shipping, and even shitters like Vostoks can go hundreds and hundreds of meters. Also, if you want a "real" dive watch, then you should be looking at dive computers.

Let's play a quick little game ne/wt/s.

>You have to choose a watch, budget is up to $50k
>every thousand dollar equals a year
>you must wear only the chosen watch for that time
>you may sell it or keep it, when the time ends

What would you get ?
>alternatively you can pass the opportunity and get a free fossil fashion watch

I'd strike the skx out of thine hand and ask the simple question: Why haven't you sold all of your watches (except the Speedy) and bought a SubC no date?

>if you want a "real" dive watch, then you should be looking at dive computers.
Like hydro modded casios ?

more like $1200 Suuntos, but yeah, sorta

> Buy a F91W
> Invest the rest
> Earn compound interest over 50 years
> ...
> Buy whatever I want.

Probably just take an Explorer 1 or something and wear it for five years and get to keep it at the end. I don't want to take some Annual Calendar Patek, just to force myself to wear it until I'm 77.

A GMT Master of some description and wear it for life. Its a watch I could wear as a one watch guy.
Could do the same for a Royal Oak 2bh.

Could you explain why you like the Royal Oak to me? I've never understood the appeal. I'm told it looks a lot better in person, but I'm still skeptical.

That's probably the best way to go about it, I would go for something around 3-4k. Rolex, omega and such.
Royal oak seems like a better option, you would get bored with the bezels colours, I think.

Everything about it 2bh. The look, the history, the movement that at the time was the world's thinnest full rotor movement (JLC 849). Its just a really good watch.
I think that's a possibility as well. Its also not well suited to all occasions.

Attached: 88753d4fb6516b7debc51272a060058d.png (400x542, 227K)

See Spend the rest of the cash on something useful, like investing into a company or buying gold.

I'd take a Royal Oak Panda

I'm partial to Chronographs.

>
>Enjoy ur ban, girls are not allowed to ask about watches here
haha they really banned her

Attached: Poon.jpg (1024x768, 223K)

Nice

That's what women get around here for asking about watches

Is that an isofrane strap or one of those borealis knockoff? How are they?

>You have to choose a watch, budget is up to $50k
You don't get the money, you just get the watch that costs up to 50k.
But never mind, it would be funny you wearing that watch for 50 years.

> Buy 50k watch
> Sell it
> ...
> Profit

what is this?

breitling is decroded pieces of crap!

Would you wear the same, one watch for 50 years straight ? What if it gets stolen or you fuck it up ? I would advise you to think it over again fa-m

monochrome-watches.com/seiko-t001-mother-smart-watches/

>Buy 50k watch
>fulfill the condition you have to wear it for price÷1000 number of years
>sell it for more assuming you picked a watch that will at least hold it's value
>profit

1675 GMT-Master for however long that takes, and then some kind of dress watch as an old man. It has to be the perfect dress watch, though. I'm not sure what that would be, the VC Patrimony collection is really nice or the JLC Master Ultra Thin watches, but they're also too big. Maybe a Calatrava in yellow gold, I like the hobnail bezel texture a lot.

Attached: 5119J_001_8.jpg (2200x1375, 196K)

I'm almost certain I could find a watch I'd be happy to own for 50 years for $50000.

The conditions aren't clear if you actually have to always be wearing it. If not then just keep it in a safe and wear it on special occasions.

>You do realize ISO doesn't certify anything, right?
You do realize how ISO certification works generally in industry, right? Oh wait...

>Every manufacturer tests water resistance before shipping
Absolutely not. Very few inexpensive watches that aren't manufactured to ISO 6425 standards are individually factory pressure tested. That individual factory pressure testing (as well as the design criteria 6425 imposes) made it not economically feasible for Citizen to continue making either an eco-drive nor a mechanical ISO diver at the SKX's $200 price-point.

>and even shitters like Vostoks can go hundreds and hundreds of meters
Yes, but due to their design the question is can they go the first 3 meters?

>Also, if you want a "real" dive watch, then you should be looking at dive computers.
Wanting a watch to be ISO 6425 compliant and have a highly functional tool watch aesthetic has nothing do with whether someone dives.

The condition is pretty clear.
>50k watch
>price/1000 = number of years this applies
>can not sell the watch during this time
>can only wear that watch during this time
So you can leave it in a safe but you can't wear another watch while it's in the safe

Because I loathe the Sub as a design? I'd take an in-house Pelagos over it every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Besides, when I eventually buy said Pelagos I won't need to sell any of the watches I'm attached to in order to afford it.

>Wanting a watch to be ISO 6425 compliant and have a highly functional tool watch aesthetic has nothing do with whether someone dives.
the absolute state of /wt/

You can leave it in a safe or wear it, up to you.
But since that's the only watch you could have, not wearing it would make you a filthy /nowatch/, and that would be a really shame.

Borealis knock-off, and they're amazing. Best $25 strap money can buy in my opinion.

Does anyone have a tisell watch with the miyota movement? Is it actually loud and noticeable? I saw a video and could hear it moving

Well if I'm being honest I already already several $50k+ watches (and wear them) so it's kind of a non-question for me.

A what watch ?

Well you could just play the game my man. But yes it's a bit silly for you to do it because you lose more than you win.

>Well if I'm being honest I already already several $50k+ watches (and wear them) so it's kind of a non-question for me.

Attached: 717011e7-c69c-437a-8f22-f9b87b05a7fa.jpg (531x500, 117K)