Linux desktop environment

What DE do you prefer? Personally, I don't really like LXDE since it lacks so many things. However, Cinnamon is too heavy, GNOME 3 also, especially with the launcher. I would prefer KDE.
What is your opinion?

Attached: mint18live-57f6843c5f9b586c350e95f2.png (768x432, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Tiling wm is best if you're a proficient, touch-typer.

If you aren't, then it's whatever you find more appealing and/or find the shortcuts more natural.

I use Awesome tiling wm or wmii or dwm because I find the keyboard centric focus to be efficient.

Xfce since its nearly as lightweight as Lxde without losing too many features. It does take a little longer to set up to be usable than the other de's though.

awesome on top of xfce

I prefer tiling window managers, but for de's I would choose xfce.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-20 17-33-20.png (850x863, 144K)

Gnome. The devs are assholes but I'm comfortable with it

Attached: knowmeh.png (1680x1050, 252K)

KDE, since version 5.12 there no other DE on Linux that comes close to it.

Neither, all of them are shit... OK, OpenBox might be fine.

Is there a gnu/linux desktop environment that c͟a͟n͟'t͟ tile windows?

Pardon me for one moment. What you are calling Linux, is in actuality, GNU/Linux, or as I have nicknamed it, GNU plus Linux. Linux isn't an operating system by itself, but it is just another part of the GNU system, which has been extended in functionality via various GNU components (including GNU's shell utilities and corelibs) which only then fit the definition of a complete operating system as outlined by POSIX.

There are many people today who are running the GNU operating system without even being aware of it. Through a strange turn of events, a misnomer has emerged where people refer to a widely used version of the GNU system as "Linux", unaware that the proper name for the system they run is the GNU operating system.

Now while they are in fact using Linux, it is only one component of the system that they run. Linux is used as the kernel: the part of an operating system which distributes a machine's resources to other programs which request them. While this functionality is essential for the successful functioning of a system, it cannot function on its own, it needs an operating system within which it can carry out its functions. Linux is commonly paired with the GNU operating system: the entirety of the system is GNU with the addition of Linux, or GNU/Linux. Every single "Linux Distribution" is actually a distribution of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1486183781821.jpg (1024x680, 68K)

No, Richard, OS is the thing, that allows user to run different programs, and allows programs to access the hardware. And Linux is OS.

KDE 5 is pretty good.

Attached: 2018-03-18-143011_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 984K)

Attached: Screenshot-2018-3-21 GNOME (et al) Rotting In Threes.png (1076x3648, 457K)

>DE
You must be new.
Use a WM friend.

WE DID IT, REDDIT!

>he actually fell for the stupid memes

igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

Semantics.

>he fell for the 16GiB meme to justify his bloated KDE desktop

i3

8GB

gotta go fast

Attached: Xfce_logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 331K)

>igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
>2012
>Current year= 2018
Uhhh...

The sad thing is that it's just as relevant as it was back then. GNOME still sucks.

I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry

It was a popular DE a long time ago.

There was and has always been one popular DE. The standard. GNOME.

this

XFCE since its light and will work well on almost anything (since I started playing around with Linux on really shit hardware).

Now that I have a quad core system to play around with, I find GNOME really bloated but also really polished

Linux is a kernel

having a consistent experience is a good thing

Kernel is OS.

Too bad that the one GNOME provides is constantly shit.

I've installed recently Windows XP on VirtualBox (for shitposting, nostalgia and muh games)... And it is god damn lightweight, 112 mb of RAM at 1440x900, and yet looks like not shit, and has 10/10 font rendering. Why Microsoft just can't screw new core on Windows XP shell?

By the way, freetards can't make lightweight DE or WM.

Attached: VirtualBox_ShitpostXP_19_03_2018_16_27_53.png (1440x900, 31K)

KDE stands for King Desktop Environment.

K stands for Kikke DE

You can do better than that.

Attached: xp.png (1280x819, 271K)

Sure. Just best OS ever made, ignoring BSODs and shit.

god DAMN that is comfy

Where do you even get xp these days?
I don't even know what applications will/won't run on xp, but it is ideal for a VM if it stuff still works.
Like can you use office + inventor in xp?

10 h. premium had been working pretty great for me

Deepin

I run Gentoo with openbox. Uses like 24 MB of RAM with no programs running. Currently using roughly 6.5 GB, frequently break 8.

The Linux Kernal is a kernal. Linux is an OS.

24mb for entire system, or 50-60 with kernel and basic stuff?