Laptop advice

Hey Sup Forums, what's a good laptop for programming and general use? I'm looking for a decent battery life, nice looks, lightweight, 12' or 13' in size and a solid body but it's getting fucking imposible.
I really liked the 12' Macbook, but I find it kind of overpriced
>inb4 chinkpad
I said lightweight, as thin as it can be, I'll be carrying it around Uni

Attached: screen-trackpad-pic.jpg (800x450, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_632462.html?lkid=12255336
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Xps 13

The Macbook 12" are pretty amazing systems for how well they are designed. They keyboards are super comfy some people find. Linux acutally runs well on these (if you know what you're doing an are already running Gentoo). Some people run Linux on the touchbar macbooks.

if the weight is genuinely a massive factor then stick with a mac. low end mbp with the two thunderbolt 3 ports or the macbook. the macbooks look pretty gay though so definitely get the black one

It would take 5 years to compile a browser on the MacBook. The keyboard has no travel and is loud as fuck.

Get an XPS 13. They have a precision touch touchpad which rivals the MacBook. The keyboard doesn't suck. The only place the mac wins is on the display. You can also get 32gb of ram if you want.

No I'm not larping. Once you go tabletop (kek) you will never want a clunky, traditional laptop ever again.

Keyboard's really good too. Low resistance and easy to type 150 WPM on.

Attached: Surface-Pro-4_16x9[1].jpg (2545x1432, 1.29M)

what about if i want to type atop my lap

step 1. stop because it's probably killing your posture

I use a case that has an aluminum stand in it. Works fine for lap typing although the weight distribution is a bit uncomfortable.

Attached: 91Q3rUbCceL._SL1500_[1].jpg (1500x1500, 320K)

get a surface book 2 then.

real shit the xps 13

Honestly, for the amount of time you spend on a computer paying the extra for a macbook will most likely be worth it if you can afford it.

I thought about a surface, but the latest model costs around as much as the macbook, which I consider to be a better experience for me since I don't need the touchscreen, pencil, tablet mode etc. And I would totally prefer being able to use my computer on my lap
Thanks for the responses everyone! Also about the OS, I'm ok with anything that let's me get work done, Windows, OSX and Linux are fine for me

Attached: apple_unix_ad.jpg (1976x1202, 401K)

need advice for a laptop too
hi-res screen (4k) with 13" or less
16Go ram at least
thin framed
no price limit

not sure about the surface pro, is the stand mode steady ? like if I put it on a bed, would it work ?

the stand is garbage for your lap perfect for everything else.

you're looking for a xps 13 or a macbook pro.
note that you can replace the ram and the m.2 drive with ease on the xps should it fail. not so much for the mac but at least it has the best track pad in the game.

Honestly, no memes, but the Bestbuy is selling the 2015 MacBook Air 13" for like $650 right now.

It's old, the screen isn't great (if that's your thing), and there might be a new one coming around the corner, but that thing is a fucking steal at that price.

And desu, I've used a shit load of laptops, thinkpads, chromebooks, and I liked the air most out of all of the various devices I've owned. Very solid, sturdy, pleasant to look at (minus screen)

Aren't those refurbished? Anyways I should have mentioned I'm not from the usa, can't buy it
I'm really upset because last year I could have bought one of those for around u$d 800, which is really cheap compared with the prices of any decent notebook in the third world

You're kidding yourself and lying to everyone who hasn't used the shitty keyboard on the new macbooks. They feel like shit, an eyelash stuck inside can cause a key to jam, terribly expensive to repair, not to mention the lack of non-retarded function keys. I'd rather use some chink shit $5 Bluetooth keyboard that doubles as a bottle opener than use that shitty keyboard

>Aren't those refurbished?
No
>Anyways I should have mentioned I'm not from the usa, can't buy it
Ah, bummer. Good luck user!

Doesn't the XPS have soldered-in RAM?

Sounds like you really want it.

Honestly, I'd say go for it. I'm planning on putting macOS on my T440p.

MacOS is really nice to use, and only faggots will deny that.

he is recommending the 12 inches that has function keys

Also, he mention that some people like the keyboard (I do) , it's like a fucking opinion dude. The 12 inch macbook is the comfiest shit to ever exist

Yes is under power and expensive af, but if you're only doing light work and don't care about the money is the best machine you can buy, I mean you'll replace it in 2 year either way

Look into the Lenovo Yoga lineup. The Yoga 720 is a pretty solid choice.

shit youre right. you can in the 15 though.

Best is 14''. It's not too much and not too big.

Attached: 1504857718688.png (600x367, 182K)

12" for programming? Just say you want to use it for your cum tributes and stop wasting our time

The chuwi surface laptop copy I forgot what it's called

> underpowered
> expensive
> only for light work
> replace within two years
> buy this laptop!

Attached: 1514123320949.png (493x402, 2K)

I can't begin to understand how you use a laptop so god damn small for programming.

Laptops are good for Putty and StackOverflow. You buy the cheapest piece of shit you can find with a big screen.

xps13 9350 owner here. The trackpad absolutely does not rival any of Apple's trackpads.

>some people like the keyboard
Subhuman morons you mean.

>12"
I know you said no Chinkpads, but I got a gently used x260 with the 'best' configuration for €700 a while back and it's a pretty neat device.

BEHOLD YOUR TRUE HERO

Attached: 450_1000.jpg (450x225, 14K)

Get a fucking thnkpad, user.
The X series is fine for your needs

Any of you laptop-savy, how much bux I can expect to pay for a laptop with 8gigs of ram and an SSD as a main drive? CPU is not that important as I won't need much computing power and GPU can be completely ignored.

get a brydge 12.3

What type of bux? Burgerbux or Eurocuks?

Either case: like 500 euro

>fan breaks after three months
>have to order new fan from ali and wait for three weeks for it to arrive
sure is great having absolutely no warranty or quality control

USD would be much clearer for me to convert, but 500 yuros give a pretty good idea, thanks.

m.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_632462.html?lkid=12255336

>chink version of a chink laptop
nice

About 550 Burger bucks, then.
I mean you could always just buy an old thinkpad with an SSD in it and just pay 40 Burger bucks for more RAM. It would be second hand, though. And it would be a lot cheaper unless you're in a country with a bad market

>unless you're in a country with a bad market
I absolutely am.

Ah fuck, sorry user.
What place? Can Amazon deliver there?

>programming
>laptop
>lightweight, 12'
fuck off, lamer

South of Thailand, the only local second-hand market is expats getting fucked by the government and forced to leave and sell all their shit. And with VERY inconsistent customs taxes on the border I'm pretty scared to buy something substantial online. My buddy bought a camera from japan last year and was forced to pay 100% tax on the border. Shit's crazy

Add on 100 us dollars then

Alright I see the price range, thanks man.

Best of luck with it.
I'd look up reviews for whateer you're buying, particularly notebookcheck.net is good

Huawei matebook X
Huawei managed to get a full 15w cpu into a fanless design and they were smart enough to give the screen a superior 3:2 aspect ratio

Huawei Matebook X pro
Thinkpad x1 Carbon 2018 HDR
xps 15 2in1
2018 macbook refresh

Imagine being such a limp-dicked spaghetti-armed soyboy that you're unable to carry a 3.3 pound laptop to school.
My fucking god.
Get a macbook air. That way, you'll have plenty of room for your gender studies textbooks and soylent in your messenger bag.

Attached: i8i1tq92jzuz.jpg (3089x4633, 826K)

yo, those shoes are dope tho, what are those?

rick owens geobaskets
they're fucking memes, they're expensive, and you should not obtain them

>1700burgerbux
Yeah, those shoes are clean, but too clean for this peasant.

Those aren't geos you moron.

my bad, that's what they looked like. what are they really?

don't get the first generation, tho. they have a different keyboard mechanism. Best keyboard comes with current generation. If you're messy for example eating over your pc then don't get MB12" at all since it will kill your keyboard.

Any best buy for 499$.

If you want all that and good quality either Macbook or XPS13

modern thinkpads are pretty light, user. if you can deal with the keyboards on them, macbooks and dell xps 13s are both pretty good. be careful of XPS quality control, though. apparently the xps 15 has coil whine issues

get whatever dell you can afford and has metal hinges. Will serve you well for years. They tend to have excellent linux support.
I would suggest getting one of the ULV quad-core CPUs. If it has thunderbolt 3 you can get a GPU dock for more intensive graphics stuff and gaymes.

why did you get the pro and not the air?

the macbook air runs a unix OS and has >10 hours of batter life though. it could even run some games because of the none-meme resolution of the display.
literally perfect with a student.

get a chinkpad

Yeah, a real man drags around a 20 pund workstation + peripherals.
Fucking beta cucks with their convenient mobile devices, never gonna get laid that way.

system 76 laptops are quality

I dont think you know what quality is.

what do you guys think about a ThinkPad E470? There are a lot of people selling them really cheap for some reason in latam, i7-6500U, 500 GB 7200 RPM, 8GB DDR4, GTX 940M 2GB (don't really need it, no gayming intended), 14" 1366 x 768
are the keyboards in this new thinkpads shit? is the system solid enough? i will also be using it for school + programming + normalfag use

Attached: lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-e470-hero.png (725x515, 61K)

hey OP if you're still here Apple are having an education event on the 27th which are apparently going to announce the new MacBook Airs.

It's an e series.

>There are a lot of people selling them really cheap for some reason
The reason is that they are trash.
Thinkpad X/T/P are the good quality models, and even they went downhill massively over the last couple of years.
Stuff like E series was garbage and got even more garbage over time.

you consider them trash vs the x, t or p series or vs any current laptop? could you elaborate why? thanks user

If u don't use it for games you won't even need half the specs mate.
Im considering buying one of these tommorow for some casual shit + dotes 2.
So far the choice is between amd a6+radeon 520/30 or pentium n4200 + 920mx or something.
I have no idea what to buy honestly.
All i want is some dota 2 and probably some wow for a little while in 1-2 years.
Idk if this wreck can support my dreams.

yeah i know it has more specs than those i'll be needing but shit's cheap, 700usd in my country, you won't find a fucking i5 for that price here
also about DotA2, i just stopped playing but i did for 5 years, i guess it would be playable in any of those systems but expect low settings and normal frame rates, it should run really smooth on the chinkpad i posted, too bad i don't play anymore

also i could get 100usd off if i pay in cash

What's your work?

OP here, I'm studying systems engineering (it's really similar to compsci, + engineering + systems theory) so for now I just need something I can program on and take notes that's really portable but I'm a bitch and I want the best possible experience. I guess I'll be using linux on my OS class next year, but I can just use a VM

lenovo yoga is good OP. yoga 2 is fantastic, maybe they are cheap now

1.Get a MacBook

2. Install Parallels Desktop Lite from the App Store for free

3. Set up your favorite Linux distro in a VM

4. ???

5. Profit!!!!

You're a fucking nigger for that.

No way wtf you could upgrade a t420 super easily with readily available guides to an ssd and some come with 8 gifs of ram for under 250 USD

Is a regular Surface Book a good buy vs a 2 if I want to save some money?

This is the worst possible advice anyone could give

Surface laptop

Really interested in this too! Uni forced us to buy a T470s for 1000$ but it's still too hea y for my taste and the build quality is utter shit for this price. I hqve looked around a lot and couldn't find better than a used 11" MacBook air for 300$ on ebay. Should I buy that? Haven't seen anything as light and small for this price range. I would of course install something like debian or ubuntu on it, mac os x is absolute cancer

>the latest model costs around as much as the macbook,
And will run circles around that throttling overheating housefire.

Attached: 1508974273555.jpg (851x474, 107K)