Internet-free OS?

Hi, I come from /lit/.

These last months I've noticed that the single greatest obstacle to my writing activities is the internet. At the same time, writing in the computer is the very best thing, because it's so easy to detect and correct mistakes, and the fingers don't get so tired.

Is there any operating system that doesn't recognize modern wifi or is just internet-free by default?

I would be very much interested in installing it, even if it cost me some money.

Would Windows 95 be able to use my wifi internet?

Attached: Saskia Sleeping - Rembrandt.jpg (300x366, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

oldversion.com/windows/wordperfect-5-1
download.microsoft.com/download/word97win/Wd55_be/97/WIN98/EN-US/Wd55_ben.exe
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install Gentoo

By the way, I need Internet on my current systems (Windows 7 and Ubuntu) for university work, so disabling the Internet from them is not an option.

What I need is a new OS which will not have Internet access. My Windows and Ubuntu are so slow to load that I won't even feel the desire of changing OS's while writing.

Debian net iso does not come with any wifi driver, if you dont install any you’re good to go

In order to install it I would need the Internet, is that not so? But if I didn't have any Wifi in the first place, I naturally wouldn't be able to go to the Internet and install it, which means I wouldn't have any Internet after all...

Sounds like a good option.

Just close your browser and/or disconnect from the internet.

Attached: .jpg (600x276, 41K)

I will come back one minute later.

Sorry, I meant 'go back', in the sense of 'going back to it'.

(Or is 'come back' alright too? English is not my first language.)

You will learn programming and connect your OS to the internet

TempleOS

Not really, since it takes some work and would give me time enough to think 'This is not good' and stop doing it.

My problem is that connecting to the Internet is just so easy. All I have to do is open a browser, and then a whole day's work will be lost.

>TempleOS deliberately has no network support. It runs 8-bit ASCII with graphics in source code and has a 2D and 3D graphics library, which run at 640x480 VGA with 16 colors.[2] Like most modern operating systems, it has keyboard and mouse support. It supports the FAT32 and RedSea file systems (the latter created by Davis) with support for file compression.[5]

Sounds like it's exactly what I need.

Does it have any decent programs for writing? Will I be able to convert the files into .doc or some other commonly used format later?

you can transfer the files on a usb stick and then convert them on another machine

Macintosh System Software 1.0

Attached: Mw1.gif (513x343, 6K)

just uninstall your browser

TempleOS

Attached: 1517024093695.gif (640x480, 2.26M)

install gentoo with KDE and only read .pdfs / write novels in gedit

maybe working strictly from a command line interface instead of a GUI would help?

unironically TempleOS

install plan9

TempleOS, or any Free Software/open soros OS, really just remove the TCP/IP Stack

Is there a parental control program OP could use on himself?

Lock away your Ethernet cables/power to the modem

Windows, just don't bother installing wifi drivers.

/lit/ here too
Don't be a faggot. You can't write because you sucks. Write in paper.

Get an old computer, install Windows XP on it, use Word 5 or WordPerfect 5.1 in DOS mode (being ran in Windows XP also automatically gives it the presentation of a scan doubler, so it's 60 lines rather than 25).
oldversion.com/windows/wordperfect-5-1
download.microsoft.com/download/word97win/Wd55_be/97/WIN98/EN-US/Wd55_ben.exe

Alan Moore doesn't have internet, and does all his writing in WordPad (if the leaked RTF file of his scripts is anything to go on).

Attached: f2418323bc8b01d6e6986d06536a0340--comic-books-graphic-novel.jpg (403x292, 24K)

TempleOS

George R. R. Martin writes his books on a machine running DOS iirc

His DOS machine broke, so now he's using a modern machine with WordStar emulated in DOSBox.

I really like DOS word processors. Their colour schemes and UI really minimise eye strain because they're all either grey on black, or grey on dark blue, which are legible and clear even with the brightness turned way down, and don't strain with the brightness up.

You can compile the Linux kernel to have no network support, so any Linux OS will do what you want.

Templeos is for you

^^^^^^this

Literally just turn off the network adapter in the OS or your modem

9front will be perfect here. It does have Internet, but it does not have a functional web browser.

>9front and templeos
for some reason when these are mentioned in the same thread without a hint of irony i can't stop laughing

Technology can't fix your discipline problems.

Attached: 1645471399905523985.png (1214x880, 163K)

Netinstall is done with an ethernet cable. The GUI will give you the option of installing wifi drivers.

TempleOS

For overkill, install Gentoo and configure your kernel so it doesn't support wi-fi.

an fsf certified distro like parabola probably doesn't have drivers for your wireless card

this tbhfam

any minimal linux distribution without Xorg. Write latex in vim.

you could simply remove the network drivers from your current OS, or lock the network interfaces somehow. you could build a dedicated machine with this purpose.
actually, it's a very interesting question for me... I have a similar problem, can't do shit while connected.

oh, and btw, most wifi laptop have this "rf-kill" thing where you can lock the wifi device by hardware... though you'd be really tempted to enable it again.

well, how do keep your own discipline? I, as the OP, have problems with that. if I don't have someone else giving me orders, I waste tons of time.

also this, jej. if you have the "wrong" hardware, you won't have network drivers.

1) Get any Linux distro.
2) Create a user account you'll use exclusively for writing. Set up a spartan, distraction-free work environment for him.
3) As root, block all outgoing network traffic for that user's programs:
iptables -A OUTPUT -m owner --uid-owner -j DROP

Alternatively, if you don't trust yourself not to switch users when you're supposed to write:

1) Get any Linux distro.
2) Create a user and set up a work environment for him.
3) Change root password to a randomly generated one, write it down.
4) As root, set up the firewall to fucking drop everything.
5) Log out from the root account, bury the written down root password in the woods.

>Write latex in vim.
Latex is for typesetting, not writing. OP means something where you're focused on getting the actual words down, rather than mess around with visuals.

FreeDOS, George R. R. Martin approves.

DOS is unironically a great environment for productivity as a writer.