Is it actually a meme? Is it that hard to use? And is it harder to use than Arch...

Is it actually a meme? Is it that hard to use? And is it harder to use than Arch? I am thinking of switching to gentoo because it looks comfy as fuck but I want honest answers...

Attached: 2000px-Gentoo_Linux_logo_matte.svg.png (2000x2094, 340K)

No
Yes
Yes

Not a meme.
Looks hard, but it's about cooking your own food and driving your own car instead of begging your mom every day.
Marginally harder than Arch, but it's about giving more power and responsibility to you.

Attached: 1521560620594.jpg (568x800, 66K)

No.
Only for normies.
Only for normies.

1.)Depends what you are using it for
2.)Yes, after the learning curve you will be able to use pretty much **any** distro after tho
3.)Yes

t.gentoofag

I use it, so it can’t be that hard.

>yes*
>yes
>yes

Don't play yourself down like that.
You're a smart guy, ahead of the bell curve.

>because it looks comfy as fuck
retard.. I can make unuubtoo to look exactly the same

Yes.
No.
No.

Compiling everything yourself is mostly pointless.

What is this new meme called?
I saw it everywhere.

No
You will get used to it in 3 days if you're slow and had past linux experience.
Yes

It is comfy asf.
t. Sup Forumsentooman

it's not hard to use. what makes you think that?

It's really not difficult to install.

Funtoo > Gentoo though, 100%

How is a distro with no default wm or de comfy?

maybe because installing DE is one of the easiest things you can do in GNU/Linux

I used gentoo for a couple years as my daily driver distro.
Eventually I got tired of spending hours resolving conflicts in portage. You have to be pretty dedicated to keeping your system clean if you want gentoo to be effective. Now I'm on void but I still have a gentoo vm I use for dev stuff sometimes.

no
no
no

>spending hours resolving conflicts in portage.
I've never encountered this problem, even with KDE and ~1100 packages. Of course, I don't use that many use flags and basically stick to testing packages only.

it's as hard to configure as arch(not hard at all, just follow handbook and google your questions on arch wiki, or you knowask on Sup Forums), but the greatest thing about gentoo is that it doesn't break.

my system has been to 6 computers already, and it's 10 years old. i switched because back than i lost my shit over vista bluescreening yet AGAIN, and the need to reinstall it YET FUCKING AGAIN. so i said "fuck it" and installed gentoo. never had a bad time since.

also all the other linux distributions are pieces of shit because they break even more than the current winshit blowdongs. i tried ubuntu once and it immediately wouldn't shut down for some fucking reason. so instead of trying to decipher what the fuck went wrong i just wiped the partition and merged it back into the gentoo one.

Attached: komeiji satori (touhou) drawn by fal maro - Danbooru - 26af47ff66161d5ee14840b304b5a33d.png (1417x850, 1.6M)

- Not a meme, just another Linux distro
- Not that hard: once set up (and their handbook might be one of the best reference, along with the archlinux wiki), it'll only be about setting your custom USE flags
- I find it cleaner than Arch, especially comparing against the AUR

The biggest pro _and_ con is that you can choose; I'm running it on an Atom server, and I love the though of knowning that everything is build with -march=native, which is a little help since this Atom doesn't have OoO execution. But you'll have to deal with your choices.

If you are already used to installing distro from tarballs, and I bet you do since you're talking about Arch, there isn't any difficulty.

I mostly had issues with python packages blocking each other all the time for some reason, and preventing other software from updating.
Eventually I had a conflict that I tried to resolve for 3 hours and just installed a new distro.

how does he even "resolve conflicts in portage"? you literally only have a choice between pasting the flags it tells you to into package.use or fucking off. i sense a lying microshit kiddo.

Attached: vampire_kiss_19.jpg (2000x1730, 312K)

>Is it actually a meme?
Yes, it's a meme.
>Is it that hard to use?
I would say the vast majority of people would fail to set it up. You need a combination of general computer knowledge, intelligence and persistence/interest/motivation. Most people lack at least one of those things. Once you have it up and running it's more or less the same as every other major distro.

>And is it harder to use than Arch?
Maybe a little bit.

Addendum: I just remembered another con: you have to deal yourself with the kernel build/installation on every update. The package is only about updating the source installed onto your system.

guiz use this OS that isnt user friendly because ur 2 smart for normal OH ES
1)yes
2)yes
3)yes

>install gentoo
>literally takes 2 days to emerge a web browser
wtf is this garbage?

Attached: 1496681884304.jpg (588x575, 46K)

>wtf is this garbage?
A Pentium 4?

>Is it actually a meme?
Maybe.
> Is it that hard to use?
No.
>And is it harder to use than Arch?
Not really. I've used both. Prefer Gentoo.
> I am thinking of switching to gentoo because it looks comfy as fuck but I want honest answers...
Switch!

You might like gentoo if:
- you're anal about keeping your system clean and generally don't want it to do things you haven't told it to
- you enjoy learning new stuff and like the idea of setting up your system "from scratch", and you want something functional by the end of it
- you like to tinker and improve things

>tfw not using virtual environments for python

I think it's best to script this.
Try Arch. It will give you the same cred (such as it is) with normalfags without requiring you to compile your system from source.

Yep, most of the process is already automated; but it's up to the admin to do so.

Using Gentoo is also like a political choice. Mostly because they're actively maintaining an alternative to systemd. It's like biodiversity; same thing goes for AMD Intel/Nvidia, etc. It's saner to have a minimal heterogeneity.

Yes, yes, and yes.

>Looks hard, but it's about cooking your own food and driving your own car instead of begging your mom every day.
This answers so many nagging questions about the age and mental state of the average Sup Forums Gentoo user.

it literally doesn't take 1 day to completely rebuild world on eee pc 900.

are you just trying to be funny?

Attached: more_like_peed_in_abyss.png (667x256, 222K)

How is the community compared to the communities of other distro's

it's ok

decent

> Is it actually a meme?
No.

> Is it that hard to use?
Generally pretty damn trivial when you know what you're doing with Linux on a sysadmin level. You got powerful and pretty simple to use tools for pretty much anything likely to happen.

But to some, understanding Linux on a sysadmin level is a dark art for wizards who can pull off the impossible feat of reading a few pages of text without getting distracted. Not good for them.

Also not good in case you don't really need Gentoo's flexibility, might as well roll standard Fedora or Arch or Ubuntu whatever you like then.

> And is it harder to use than Arch?
Depends on what you're doing & avoid a bunch of minutes of compiles.

>uses gentoo
>ahead of the bell cuve
pick one

Attached: BE6C7C8DC97D4ECE810CA86E5E3A7152.png (601x434, 352K)

I'm not sure it qualifies for "intelligence", but the Gentoo users tend to know their shit reasonably well if you ask sysadmin questions. Even on this site, but also in the Gentoo forums.

>Is it actually a meme?
Nope, it is actually a linux distro.

>Is it that hard to use? And is it harder to use than Arch?
Yes, unless you use it on a secondary device or inside a virtual machine just to shill in desktop threads like many people here do.
The main problem is that some packages fails to compile and you need to fix the shit. Software configuration is exactly as Arch, but maintaining your system up to date and installing new packages can be way more painful.

It's not as up to date as Arch and that's especially painful for "important software" like compilers, interpreters, virtual machines and stuff like that. Java 9 is not officially supported (and Java 10 is out already), Rust is there but it needs to be fixed, etc...

It is a very well made distro, but it's not perfect. It can be a lot better with more maintainers.
You, as a user, are basically a junior maintainer. You have a fine control over everything and you will find yourself maintaining some (hopefully few) packages by yourself. It's not for everyone, but if you're a power user and you have time to spend on your system, go for it.
Don't install it in a virtual machine tho, you're wasting your time. If you're gonna try it on a virtual machine at least save your USE flags and all your settings for when you'll install it on your machine. If you're not willing to spend a lot of time to properly set all that shit there's no point of using Gentoo.

>Generally pretty damn trivial
Stopped reading here.

it is a meme because it is the best but also brainlet-proof

I don't know anything about sysadmin shit though. I don't even know the basics of networks, I was barely able to get internet set up on here lol

doesn't have the same street cred as arch. the cool kids will laugh about you in screenfetch threads