Comcast is now injecting ads into the HTML of webpages you visit. I have seen this on two different machines

Comcast is now injecting ads into the HTML of webpages you visit. I have seen this on two different machines.

Attached: comcast.jpg (959x815, 150K)

Other urls found in this thread:

servicealerts.comcast.net
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>here is a free speed upgrade, just update your router firmware

>comcast is injecting ads

are you actually mentally ill?

This isn't selling you anything, you already pay for the service, it's just telling you to update your shit.

>Comcast is now injecting ads into the HTML of webpages you visit

Excuse me, but how the fuck does that even work ?

Are you seeing this on an HTTP or HTTPS connection because HTTP is plaintext and anyone who sees what's going over the network can inject or grab the packets of whatever they see

>injecting ads into the HTML
OP I don't think you understand what the fuck we mean by ads. I can write an article advertising a product. This is different from an advertisement run by Google or AWS.

It's http.

It's not an ad. Well that is, but they've been injectiing low data notes this way for a while.

Javascript.

This is old as fuck!
They've been doing this forever and alerting people when they are close to their caps

Why are you on Sup Forums when you don't know basic phishing or MitM tactics? This is basic networking that you should have learned when you first learned how to port forward and what the dangers are involved with that shit.
How fucking new are you?

An ad is trying to promote a product or sell a service.
You already pay for their service, and this isn't trying to sell you anything more than what you already have.

It's not an ad.

They also do the same thing if you go over your data cap.

Then comcast can modify the connection all they want to because it's not a secure connection. Avoid HTTP if you can because it's not supposed to be secure by design. I wish that web encryption wasn't an afterthought being made when security wasn't a big priority and all but what can you do.

>now
They've been doing it for ages.

Hisssssss

Attached: icon80_400x400.png (400x400, 217K)

>hurr how do I block javascrimp
>buhhh inline JS is souper advanced
>dere's ads IN da html bros

Attached: brainlet skull.png (488x463, 59K)

>now
I see you never hit the 270 GB mark and have a pop-up that said you're at 90% of your usage limit. At least it's a 1000 GB now.
Don't go for the modem, I'm sure it'll only give Comcast more leverage over you as a consumer.

>How fucking new are you?

No I dont understand how a provider is physically changing the html content of webpage you visit.

They own the pipe, they could do deep packet inspection if they really felt like it and look at literally everything you're doing.

>I don't understand how the entity that controls my access to the internet could possibly inject 50 lines of text in the unsecured HTML.

I know that they can look, but they can even change at will that easy ?
I mean, Op isnt probably the only one who got that message.

It's all in plaintext for anyone with wireshark can. I can go into a cafe right now and see every packet that's exiting and leaving but I'll only know the contents of it or be able to change if it it's over HTTP

Every site you go to passes through your ISP, as that's their job. They can look at all of these streams, as they are a man in the middle. If your connection is secure they see garbage and modification would be both apparent, as you would get garbage back, and blocked by the browser.
In an unsecured connection (plaintext) it's just simply adding onto the packets already traveling through their machines.

Hope this helps.

It only happens on HTTP, not HTTPS.

Because HTTP isn't secure at all and anyone who cares to intercept it in the middle can do whatever they want with it, modify it, or change it entirely.

>send request to fetch website to ISP
>ISP fetches website, modifies source, pushes to user
>user receives modified website that has controls enabled for comcast to pipe advert-style popups through javascript or some other real time medium
Hurr fucking durr watch a networking video you mongoloid

As HTTPS by default becomes more of a thing you'll see this kind of stuff happening less and less. Within a year or two only if you're browsing sites that haven't been updated in years is the only time you'll see HTTP

Not that user but you sound just as retarded in your own special way. Do you by chance have asperger's?

I believe at the end of spring or summer google is changing Chrome so it notifies users when they access an HTTP site instead of HTTPS, and warns them its an insecure connection.

This will likely force smaller and older websites to finally update to HTTPS, or risk losing all the normie customers who see such messages in chrome and immediately go back since chrome said it was unsafe.

But you all talk about unsecured HTML, what if you always go with HMTLs everywhere, they shouldnt be able to change anything withou completly botching up the site

Perhaps, but certification thievery is actually on the rise lately which can potentially make it very lucrative for poisoned HTTPS MitM attacks. Not like this disproves anything you said, just an additional thought I'd had

>HTMLs fuuuuuu I meant HTTPS

HTTP vs HTTPS

HTML is just a language, nothing to do with the security of the connection.

You're correct, and that's why you don't see these messages from comcast on anything but an HTTP connection, since they can't inject anything into an HTTPS connection without a LOT of effort.

I was just answering his question. I use uMatrix myself to get around script injection from my ISP as well.

If the HTTPS connection doesn't use a broken standard like SSL3 then you're fine. Most browsers actually block anything weaker than TLSv1.0

I know I fuckd up badly, now I look even more like a retard, I am already preparing myself for stoning..

Oh man you sure got me wew lad you really wrecked my shit up man I am so blasted because someone suggested I have aspergers on an anonymouse forum oh geeze man oh fuck goteem

While it should definitely be illegal for them to do this shit, I'm pretty sure you can avoid it by using alternative DNS servers.

>While it should definitely be illegal for them to do this shit
It will never be a crime to modify an unencryptioned plaintext network

>While it should definitely be illegal
lmao, found the child.

>it should be illegal
Nah, it shouldn't be illegal. Instead, consumers should boycott this shitty business. Unfortunately, they can't, because of the district monopoly structure of the ISP market, caused by of course government regulation on said market. Rather than even further regulation which only helps the biggest of the big ISPs, we should be rolling back regulation and breaking up these arbitrary districts that the likes of Comcast lobbied for. After that, the proper redistribution of income can occur from the monolithic district monopoly abusing corporations and to more privacy and customer oriented providers that can wedge their way into the deregulated market.

You're proving his case user

They also do that for copyright strikes.

systemd

This is why we need net neutrality

use SSL faggot

Imagine if your phone calls got interrupted by Verizon or AT&T or T-Mobile trying to sell you shit randomly. It would be awful. But at least there's choice in mobile networks, there aren't for broadband ISPs throughout the US.

Find me an instance where this is being used as an advertisement.

It's already done worse by your cell providers. Most cell providers automatically cap streaming video to standard def bitrate in order to reduce network load.

You can specifically opt out of this if you go through some settings, but AT&T and others have been doing this for years already.

Cell providers also send you unsolicited text messages and potentially push notifications from built in uninstallable apps that alert you to over use, just like these comcast notices are commonly used for (alerting you for when you get near or go over your data cap).

99% of people are too stupid to realize why their data is suddenly slow or isn't working. The push notifications are there for that reason

How could they do it at all? srs

And the same rings true for comcast and their customers.

They are sitting on mature quantum computers.

If they were doing it through HTTPS then sure, that's one theory.

But since it's only through HTTP then they're just doing it to unencrypted traffic, not anything else.

and they pay at least $100 per month for this shit

Attached: 3be.jpg (572x548, 32K)

>now
They've been doing that for few years

>renting your modem
It's like you're actually retarded or something

its not an ad you brain dead nigger sensationalist Sup Forums faggot

Block servicealerts.comcast.net on the router level.

>modem

What about it?

europoor here,

does this also happen on https sites?

if so, how?

i get these too but mine only says "youve used 950gb of your 1tb monthly data cap"

they never started doing this until this year so what happened did the repeal of NN do this?

theyve been doing it for years you just never noticed or didnt reach your data cap

Chances are you are an autistic shill, but I'll bite.

They are trying to force him to """upgrade""" to a botnet box that allows random comcast customers to use his wifi

what do you mean "now"? they've been doing this for at least 10 years

It's their WiFi, and it's kinda nice having a backup.

They don't do it at all here.

Attached: Untitled.png (722x973, 19K)

then you have unlimited data because the data cap is only 1tb and youre at 3.7tb

They only implement the data cap in certain areas.
Poor areas.

that would include his internal network traffic unless he has that interface plugged directly into the router with no other devices.

comcast's router is shit, constantly advertising a free network, prioritizing traffic, polluting the 2.4 and 5ghz bands with multiple other networks

as long as you have a docsis 3.0 compatible modem tell them to fuck off

it's not a firmware update. they want you to buy their new modem. it's an ad

It's all internet.

My isp does this though the dns.
They routinly redirect my internet traffic, particularly on ebay.com, to their shit site and will add banners to the top of my webpages.
I switched to botnet dns and now I dont see it anymore.

They probably still log, monitor, analyze, and sell my traffic history though.

>they want you to buy their new modem
>Free modem
>buy
>free
>buy

wut

why wouldn't you want docsis 3.1 for free? you're already presumably using their equipment anyway if you're seeing this

you're kind of retarded desu.

Comcast often "accidently" charges me for my modem, I own my modem. Its only free until they "forget"

what area are you in OP?

10 to 1 op is one of the people calling for the death of net neutrality

Does this happen if you use your own modem?

>mfw my streetshitter AT&T DSL doesn't even pull this shit.

switch to spectrum faggot

>Implying Spectrum is in my city.

switch to wow or charter then

>Implying either of those are in my city.

do anything to get off of at&t

if I use spectrum internet can I officially say "I'm on the spectrum"

It's either AT&T or Mediacom (charges up to $128,600) per month in overages!

too bad no one fights to make data caps illegal like they should be

This.

Attached: Judaism intensifies.gif (501x585, 212K)

>OP I don't think you understand what the fuck we mean by ads
It's advertising an update to his router. I don't think you know what an ad is.

Why are you not using HTTPS to browse Sup Forums?

Yes this is the same as a flash banner above F2P Runescape.

if you are renting a modem from them it's easy to turn off the secondary wireless network or just put the entire modem in bridge mode letting you use your existing router

or you can just buy your own modem + router + wap and be done and never deal with any of this

do any of you actually bother to think for more than 5 seconds?

>tfw actually helpful, non-condescending posts ITT
Are IT bros the nicest people on Sup Forums?

Attached: file.png (800x633, 329K)

iirc wireshark only analyses traffic on YOUR computer, and doesn't MITM other people

>redistribution of income
commie

>burger ISPs modify content of the pages their customers visit

what the fuck is this?

Attached: 1494886119003.png (166x166, 14K)

it doesn't
if it did, would be creepy as shit and would warrant a tor installation

niggerville

... I pay $50/mo for 100Mbit with Cumcast.

Yea, comcast offers 400mbps and 1gbps both under $100/month here.

For $150/month I can get 2gbps.

Attached: comcast 2gbps.jpg (958x1082, 161K)

Modem is correct term, it MOdulates and DEModulates RF signals on the coax cable line.

Cumcast has been rolling out data caps across the country, it's possible that you weren't under a data cap until recently.