So it wasnt exactly “hard” per se but god damnit portage takes literally hours to install a few packages why would...

So it wasnt exactly “hard” per se but god damnit portage takes literally hours to install a few packages why would anyone use this shit

Attached: 76BF6176-21C9-4BEA-8CE4-EC09D4270957.jpg (3264x2448, 1.2M)

Other urls found in this thread:

cloveros.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=list
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>being a corelet

You got memed, kiddo

>installing it in a virtual machine

faggot

>takes literally hours to install a few packages why would anyone use this shit
Because they believe that this pointless endeavor gives them "riced out" binaries and bragging rights over other distro users, mostly. Must be nice to have countless hours to waste waiting for stuff to "emerge" before you can actually use your computer. I'd say that you fell for the meme, but you're running it in a VM.

Disappointment turns to rage in 3..2..1...

Get over it bitch

+1

We got him boys, another sucker bites the dust. On to the next one

USE flags
no forced systemd

> god damnit portage takes literally hours to install a few packages
It's your hardware and/or VM (why u Virtualbox instead of KVM/QEMU?)

Apart from a select few packages almost everything compiles pretty fast.

> why would anyone use this shit
Because it is useful. What else?

What use did you have in mind that Gentoo seemed appropriate, and why doesn't it work?

Attached: giphy(2).gif (480x360, 190K)

>Why Vbox instead of KVM/QEMU
Didn’t know those options, are they any better?
>What did you have in mind that Gentoo seemed appropriate, and why doesn’t it work?
I didn’t have anything in mind really, I just like testing out distros in virtual machines, in the eternal quest for one that suits me the most, or probably just for fun. It does seem to be a good OS and not very hard to use or learn (the install guide is way better than Arch’s) but if I have to wait countless hours to update or install anything I’d rather not, I heard people spent weeks just compiling a DE/WM...

>installs gentoo in a vm
>only uses i3
well if OP isn't the typical de/g/enerate ....

It actually takes just a few seconds for portage to install packages. What you perceive as "installation taking hours" is actually how long it takes to COMPILE the packages. The compiler compiles, portage only installs.

So you have any number of these three things to blame:
1) Your compiler for being slow
2) Your computer for being slow
3) You, for being a fucking retard and using a source-based distro when you don't want to compile from source

>uses source based distro
>complains it takes time to compile packages

Attached: 1491850104791.png (621x702, 56K)

You spent hours compiling a linux distribution in a VM on a laptop just so you could post this screenshot on Sup Forums.

Let that sink in, and then re-evaluate your life.

I don’t use it retards, I was trying it out

>I don’t use it retards, I was trying it out

Attached: n2ofaaG.jpg (221x250, 5K)

>weeks
That's just a plain lie. If your computer is slow it might take you a few hours to install the entire thing including a fully-featured DE. After that it's mostly smooth sailing, you can also do updates in the background and continue using your computer, so even rare fuckhuge updates won't affect you that much. Adding to your
>I was trying it out
statement, sadly Gentoo is not the kind of distro made for trying out quickly. You have to be committed, if that's a good way to put it.

Virtualbox is a toy solution, like Hyper-V or VMWare, meaning you're either a boss or never employed.
Pretty much everything on the Internet runs on Qemu with the Libvirt middleware (on top of which you can slap virt-manager or ovirt frontend to juggle VMs). KVM is the Linux kernel part of the virtualization affair.

> Didn’t know those options, are they any better?
In general yes. Should be more lightweight, cause less weird performance drops inside the VM, and such.

> I heard people spent weeks just compiling a DE/WM.
I've got a piece of crap Kabini (that is on rank 1238 on passmark; an ancient low-end CPU) and I can't think of any DE/WM that would take nearly one week to compile. I don't think the biggest -all of kde or gnome- take even a day.

The average merge time for muh awesomewm is 74 seconds with all the loads that I usually have (I generally compile while I do things on the desktop as well). xorg-server takes around 5-6 minutes.

> but if I have to wait countless hours to update or install anything I’d rather not
Well, if you have absolutely no reason to compile anything, then probably don't.

>virtualbox
>we got him boys
What did he mean by this?

I literally see no point in ever switching from Debian to any of these meme distros.

+2

>Virtual Box
What a fag

>spent weeks compiling a DE
It took me 3 hours to compile lxde on a shitty x41 from 2002

this desu. I was in the distro-hopping meme train for years, trying openSuse, gentoo, arch, redhat-devel, elementary, you name it. Then I discovered Debian testing and never looked back. Sometimes when I have to chose a distro for a new system I try fedora or something for a few hours and remember that debian is all I need. This distro is literally the perfect one.

Attached: 1516332305013.png (656x555, 178K)

lmao OP BTFO
/thread

how to use the latest 4.15 kernel version on gentoo?

Same as with any kernel sauces?

I've got greg's branch (linux-stable) in /usr/src, pull it with git, and just use genkernel to compile and deploy it.
Didn't bother to make it a git eclass using ebuild, but of course that could be done, too.

You could of course also edit and/or version bump any of the kernel tarball installing ebuilds. Or do it all manually without even bothering to use genkernel.

compile it from source
it's hard, but after it's a joy

doesn't anyone got any clean linux config?
I remember there used to be a guy who maintained them
i dont know whre to find them anymore

Big clouds don't use qemu, they all have their own implementation.
Hyper-V and ESXI (vmware) is also being used quite often.

>i3

ita cause you have a shit tier CPU thats worse than a celeron

I'd just like to interject for a moment, what your screen is showing there as Gentoo/Linux x86_64 is in fact Gentoo/GNU/Linux x86_64 which is an operating environment wholly dependent on the GNU project. Pronounced JNU by those in the know, Gentoo/GNU/Linux is an alternative to the mass produced computing experience all your peers embrace, but without the GNU utility, it would be an exercise in futility. You might think a viable alternative would appear, but people that use BSD are drinking beer. Why would you want a watered down beverage? You could always use your knowledge for supreme leverage. You might think I'm a bitch, maybe even a snitch, but I always get rich, and leave you in a ditch. That's the way the world works, the way the cookie breaks. Get at me again if you want some more hot takes.

Attached: 1520136431707.jpg (650x400, 34K)

Attached: 1493362090413.jpg (451x451, 18K)

>actually falling for gentoo meme
well now you can brag about running gentoo to anonymous people on a mongolian imageboard

okay, you want it, then say no more. That's why I call your mom when I'm looking for a whore. She's spicy 'neath the comforter, like a chili fluffernutterter - always looking out, for your daddy's shout. She's constantly pressin and I a'nt never messin. Last weekend, you remember when she was going to aunt Suzy's? I was up in it, givin here a real doozy(s). You think you know computers, shit won't get you ahead. You in lockup like a nigger gettin' sentenced by Judge Dredd. I've made compilers like the milers who be runnin under four minutes. Shit I said minutes, but I really meant minute, I toot on her flute like an Alaskan Malamute. Yeah bitch nigga I used a rhyming thesaurus, cuz I'm a russian hacker nigga and my name is Boris.

took me like 10 minutes

Attached: 2018-03-22-013700_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 358K)

thats not real gentoo

>Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.25.10-gentoo
that appears to be real Gentoo

but that user still didnt configure everything for himself though. one of the main reasons to use gentoo is the amount of customizability it offers.

OR you could use the JUST WORKS method

Are you sure you were using the most of your hardware on virtual box

Hey do you have the link to all the cloveros papes

But... i3 is what all the cool kids here use

cloveros.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=list

Everything installs for me about as fast as it takes to download from the default debian.org mirror, maybe you should've bought a FX-8350.

Attached: 2018-03-22-014141_2560x1440_scrot.png (2560x1440, 1.44M)

>Must be nice to have countless hours to waste waiting for stuff to "emerge" before you can actually use your computer.
Wait? It's a computer, user - it will do the work without you needing to babysit it. Just do something else in the meantime. Also, you can keep using the computer while it's compiling.
Also, countless hours? Even my Pentium G4560 takes only a few hours to handle the initial compiling during a Gentoo installation - and even a full-system recompile with KDE, Firefox, and ~1000 total packages would take it only like 5-6 hours.

How do install it, on the virtualbox?

>systemd is a system and service manager for Linux. It is the default init system for Debian since DebianJessie.

AWS uses KVM+QEMU.

A good OS wasted on a weeaboo.

>packages compiled with funroll-loops and other unstable meme flags
kek, truly a meme distro

Yup, But it actually works. They did not just slap funroll loops in it. There are pretty extensive package.env per-package configurations.

Oh, get over it. Systemd is just another excuse for you guys to abandon an OS that works in favor of one that doesn't because you have a boner for making life harder for yourself.

>7100U
>Virtual Box
>Gentoo
Nice Combo mate

>genkernel

The other distros also all work, though.

On the other hand, debian's package manager is one of the worst if you also MAKE packages yourself, plus pretty bad to use as just an user. That functionality from dpkg is not provided in apt itself is pretty silly, and apt's CLI structure isn't the prettiest anyhow.

Yes, genkernel. What's the problem?

Maybe you don't know the tool well enough, but you can still use your configuration or run menuconfig with it. Still builds an initrd and stuff for you.

what's wrong with just typing "make && make modules_install" in the first place ?
also you don't need initrd/initramfs in 90% of the scenario

>eats up around 450mb ram
>mint with cinnamon uses around 600-700 on launch

why would i use gentoo again ? unlike gentoo mint is actually user friendly and easy to use

It litterally says virtualbox graphics manager in the image you stupid fucknut

Not sure if it's a bait, but ram usage in screenshot is 45MiB not 450.

> what's wrong with just typing "make && make modules_install" in the first place ?
You forgot make install. Also, nothing wrong with genkernel either.

> also you don't need initrd/initramfs in 90% of the scenario
I can't be bothered to configure things so LUKS and LVM work without initrd. There are near zero benefits in doing so except maybe logging starting earlier (where I however never have issues).

What is with all the gigantic boob tumors?

>apt is pretty bad to use as just an user
just stop

>Gentoo
>VM
>i3
Found your problem, op. Clearly you're a homosexual.

since it doesn't use a conventional package manager, is it true that theres no db lock? are you able to install multiple packages at once or no?

Yea, it sucks the moment just about anything trivial goes wrong, whether it's a post-install script or pre-remove script failing or a need to force an overwrite of 20 packages with 21 out of tree packages for the same thing (where one has split a dependency in two) or something else.

It just sucks. Carelessly hacked together thing.

I hear you but I've been using apt for more than 3 years and never had a problem once.

Fedora or Debian Testing? Show me the way

I had both problems within a month of setting up a server on debian. I also had more before, such as horrid tooling for getting from source to a debian package, or apt being retarded enough to want to install missing dependencies on apt remove .

I don't mind some dev slip-ups. But I do mind horrible tools.

+3

+4

you tell me :^)

The God of Linux himself uses fedora, so...

Systemd is harder though

Yes, you can. Not sure if it's recommended though

Gentoo is so mainstream...........

Attached: 1457979823743.png (1431x332, 51K)