How do you guys listen and enjoy experimental music?

How do you guys listen to genres like Free Jazz, Noise, Industrial, lowercase, etc.? Do you unironically enjoy them or do you listen to them just so you can show how pretentious you are in music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LoqSoXfEzUo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You don't fucking get it!

I don't fucking get it!

Not all music needs tangible, standard structure and basic tonality/harmonies. If all music was like that, it would make all music sound a little more boring.

I can enjoy noise because of the texture.
But id rather listen to more musical shit with noise elements sprinkled on top for flavor. Industrial is pretty musical.

Agreed. A lot of people listen to genres like that for the textures and the barebones and raw emotions they attempt to invoke. This is great and I can appreciate that, but I appreciate it more when it's combined with actual tangible music.

all you have to do is listen for sound/texture. it's not very hard and once you can do this it opens the doors to enjoying many more genres

take some LSD if you're really desperate

You'll understand when you're older. Or at after you've heard 1,000 albums. New genres will blossom open. You can't just jump in the deep end. Enjoy your time in the kiddie pool genres. You'll miss it when your knee deep in Fusion and wish you could still enjoy the occasional innocuous pop smash hit that everyone else is droning out to.

>kiddie pool genres
>being this pretentious

Give me some experimental artists and albums that will help me get into experimental music then

Loveless by My Bloody Valentine is a good start

I don't think fusion is anything to get too pretentious about

Anything else, particularly in electronica.

If Loveless counts as experimental then Autechre's music wouldn't be a bad place to start for more left field techno type stuff, assuming you're not already familiar with their stuff.

Already listen to Autechre. I guess it's artists like Ben Frost and Tim Hecker I have trouble listening to.

i guess if field recordings count

i unironically enjoy them

Pretentious but correct tbqh. And I'm speaking as a novice who is just starting to creep up on 100 albums, who just started listening to albums at all in May. Already there are clear delineations between albums that are far more interesting and "universally acclaimed" albums that are a bore in comparisons.

I can't wait to see what awaits me as I approach 1 thousand, or multiple thousand, albums as the years go by.

that's because Ben Frost and Hecker haven't release much good music lately. Try their earlier stuff m8...there is so much goddamn experimental electronic music...go back in time m8...

if you don't have an interest in music past how it sounds, and not the process or culture behind it then you will be stuck listening to things that sound good to you, instead of stuff that gives you a better understanding of what music was/is/will be. anyone can listen to some bedroom noise album on youtube and go "this is shit", the internet makes things too available without context. there used to be a barrier where if you weren't actively interested in the limits of music then you probably wouldn't ever encounter that kind of music in your lifetime, but the internet has changed that for the worse. sure, there will be some positive cases where people who otherwise wouldn't gain an appreciation for non-idiomatic music are granted the opportunity through the internet, but the most noticeable effect is the expansion of the peanut gallery.

that kind of shit tends to rely a lot on sounds and textures instead of catchy hooks, and thus it requires good audio equipment and a long attention span

my road into more experimental music went something like
>dadrock and metal
>progressive rock
>king crimson
>post-rock
>swans
>noise rock
>ambient
>glitch
>lowercase
>beefheart
>avant-garde jazz

still not much into harsh noise, I like at least some structure in my music, out of pure noise I probably only listen to toshimaru nakamura

youtube.com/watch?v=LoqSoXfEzUo
here's some nice beginner experimental music, just close your eyes and get immersed

this is legit how it fucking is, thank you user for putting into words what I and many others cannot

chloe burbank

All music conveys emotion, free jazz and industrial convey more harsh emotions. A good portion of pure noise is shit, but almost all the best contemporary music incorporates it.

>Hurr how can you listen to sounds you like hurr

Just fuck off