What are some lesser known Jazz artists?

what are some lesser known Jazz artists?

so far i know miles david, john coltrane, thelonius monk, sun ra, etc. i know the big names only

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hkyJQcmVtZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FAuvOxMBlBo
youtube.com/watch?v=4Q3ecCC_X1g
youtube.com/watch?v=hZzcBmXdtc0
youtube.com/watch?v=c0zhLTxwAL0
youtube.com/watch?v=__OSyznVDOY
youtu.be/lu4uMSZgKZc
youtu.be/VpmOTGungnA
youtube.com/watch?v=k-GUNcSWSko
youtube.com/watch?v=iA0fqA0Kc6
youtube.com/watch?v=3ms_OwH2XCs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>miles david

Bennie Maupin, Lonnie Liston Smith, Terje Rypdal, Pat Martino, Keith Jarrett (he's big actually but whatever), Miles Okazaki, Freddie Hubbard, GoGo Penguin

These aren't really "less known" since they're very popular among jazz listeners but in terms of mainstreamness they're like one step down from Davis, Coltrane and Ellington and you should definitely be familiar with all of these:
youtube.com/watch?v=hkyJQcmVtZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FAuvOxMBlBo
youtube.com/watch?v=4Q3ecCC_X1g
youtube.com/watch?v=hZzcBmXdtc0
youtube.com/watch?v=c0zhLTxwAL0

>jonah jones my dude

duke ellington

Some of these aren't really lesser known, but not as popular as the names you listed.

Charles Mingus
Chet Baker
Eumir Deodato
Dizzy Gillespie
Oscar Peterson
Jaco Pastorius
Herbie Hancock
Kamasi Washington

Meade Lux Lewis

listen to Pharoah Sanders, familia

I co-sign Kamasi Washington

I always feel that trombonist are ignored when it comes to jazz so you should check out Carl Fontana, a Frank Rosalino, Bill Watrous, Wycliffe Gordon, slide Hampton, Urbie Green, JJ Johnson, Kai winding, And Jack Teagarden to name a few

>no Conrad Herwig

you know you just fucked up right?

>Keith Jarrett

is trash

>Kamasi Washington

stop this meme at once

>post mentions GoGo Penguin
>calls out Keith Jarrett for being trash

Dusko Goykovich

I don't even know who GoGo Penguin is, but it sounds autismal

Hampton Hawes

Always my go-to pianist.

Charles Mingus

youtube.com/watch?v=__OSyznVDOY

Elmo Hope

Mingus , lesser known
Blasphemy

Washboard Rhythm Kings youtu.be/lu4uMSZgKZc
not really lesser know but I haven't heard anyone say Django Reinhardt. youtu.be/VpmOTGungnA

Eumir Deodato and Oscar Peterson are the only unpopular artists you listed.

Sonny Rollins, Michael Brecker, Gerry Mulligan, Errol Garner, Sam Rivers, Paul Bley, Oliver Nelson, The Modern Jazz Quartet, McCoy Tyner, Joe Henderson

Biréli Lagrène, Grant Green, Jim Hall, Joe Pass, Sylvain Luc (all guitarists)

yo but the epic was really good...sure maybe he shouldn't be lumped in with jazz greats and maybe his record was so successful only because he's on brainfeeder and maybe it's a little longwinded

but u kno u gotta recognize talent when u hear it, at least give him creds for his composition skills

Charlie Rouse

older:
cannonball adderley and stan getz are the only ones I know that haven't been listed already

newer:
brian blade (my fav living jazz drummer), aaron parks, robert glasper, kurt rosenwinkel, christian scott, ambrose akinmusire

Try some Tigran Hamasyan
youtube.com/watch?v=k-GUNcSWSko

Brad Mehladau, godlike pianist. He did some covers of popular songs in addition to his own stuff.
youtube.com/watch?v=iA0fqA0Kc6
youtube.com/watch?v=3ms_OwH2XCs

Art motherfucking Blakey and Max motherfucking Roach

also Herbie Hancock

>lesser known
you fucking retard

Hell yeah my nigga Blakey

Outside of Sup Forums I never saw him listed along the guys from OP's post, he's on the edge of being lesser known I think.

You're literally wrong

GoGo Penguin are fucking great. Not straight Jazz but they have amazing interplay