When did you grow out of idm, Sup Forums?

aphex twin
>boring, repetitive beats
>stupid "lol so randumb" aesthetic
>anti-vaxer

autechre
>gay for eachother probably
>literally just noise/fart sounds
>they like young thug

squarepusher
>doesn't have the fastest drums
>dumb retard face
>stupid, nonsensical name

boards of canada
>sappy emotional pandering
>le "nostalgia :(((" meme
>a fucking leaf

VS

twenty one pilots
>intriguing, introspective lyrics
>genuine emotion
>confuses plebs like fantano
>multiple genres, incredible skill with merging them
>real instruments
>hit singles

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=utep6Hhp2a8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

gtfo of here Beckett

>gay for eachother probably
>literally just noise/fart sounds
>they like young thug
literally all positives imo desu senpai

fuckin pleb

Obviously a bait thread, but I legit grew out of IDM and I'm kind of sad about it. IDM was my favorite genre for a good 5 years, but in the past few years I've been unable to enjoy it at all, and even relistening to my old favorite tracks do little for me anymore. I'd go back if I could

>but now I'm insecure, and care what people think
How did they come up with this?

what do you enjoy listening now ?

only plebs will disagree

I never will. It's my favorite genre and is in many ways a positive force in my life. No other genre gives one solitary person so much room for creativity.

reminder that idm isn't a thing

>autechre
techno, glitch
>aphex
acid techno, jungle
>boards of canada
downtempo
>squarepusher
futurejazz, dnb

any recommendations for some less well known IDM / ambient techno in the vein of Incunabula / Amber era Autechre and SAW85-92?

youtube.com/watch?v=utep6Hhp2a8

this album always had that tribal feeling that vaguely cropped up on incunabula (like on basscadet)

Squarepusher probably has the most sensible, basic name of any producer. Its alluding to literally pressing pads on a drum machine you normie

but it's a reference to an acid dealer

karlheinz stockhausen criticized aphex twin, among other contemporary edm artists of the day, in a magazine interview where he was given sample's of the day's electronic music.

if i recall, his specific criticique of aphex twin was that it was too much dance beat stuff, too much repetition. he challenged aphex twin to compose something without repetition. it seems that his criticism got to richard james, since he fired back saying something like "at least my mates can dance to my stuff", but clearly it shook him up a bit and you can see a change in some of aphex twin's stuff after that point.

anyway, stockhausen was right, and would've loved merzbow. any kind of beat becomes boring and tunes the mind a certain way. a beat is like an anchor to the world of physical bodies; remove the anchor and you can soar into the cosmic skies of sound.

maybe i'm just biased because my friend is a drummer and literally cannot appreciate any music without a rock beat to keep his .1 second attention span active. it's pathetic and it annoys me to be around such lowbrow ruffians.

I've heard the former. Source?

>muh drone

What kills me is that I make really dense poly rhythmic syncopated beats and all the people I know all seem to think it's just random shit

100% true

literally the truth

pusher of square tabs, pusher of acid

Is it bad if i like Aphex then Sup Forums

it's bad if you like aphex, autechre, squarepusher or boards of canada, but don't like twenty one pilots

yes

|-/

Aphex Twin is probably my least favorite of the big four. I'd go so far as to say that Squarepusher is the best, and that Hard Normal Daddy is the best IDM album.

only forgivable if you like 21p more. now do 5 hail scaruffis

"Big 4"?! Squareshitter is not even in the "Big 5".

what's the big 5

are you new?

aphex twin
boards of canada
autechre
squarepusher
andy morin

digging it thanks

old fags, remember when slsk was about idm? lae ninties , earliy 00 was the time for idm, then minimalist house was hot, i think; the talent of idm ran out of "revolutionaryu" things to propose, ish, and the "thing" moved onwards. so itgoes

>andy morin
this

literal hack

shit sounds like ableton presets

>he can't into andy morin and self-imposed limitations to promote creativity
i'm LMAOing at your life

nobody addresses the question. i did: early 00's things went all sorts of fun way. acid came back. disco punk , are you kidding me? house music, the whole history of it, let's dig. detroit. chicago. sheeeeeeeiiit. and it goes on and on. and that was what the early 00's when the internet got it shit together and non-trustfund people could start to get some serious knowledge about music without dedicating their whole life to it.

there is literally nothing creative about him.

false

his instrumentals vary from sounding like 2001-2002 grime clash instruments or kouhei matsunaga or shit you'd hear on perc trax or, yes, even watered down autechre. i've never heard an instrumental where i've thought "wow this is totally fresh"

>anti-vaxer
Since fucking when?

oh boy...

This.
Once described as "the most inventive and influential figure in contemporary electronic music", Richard David James, more commonly known by the name Aphex Twin, is nothing more than an irritating, lying ginger kid from Cornwall (his words, not mine) who has someone managed to achieve near unanimous praise from critics and fans alike for blatantly ripping off other people's styles (Biosphere, Brian Eno and Squarepusher just to name a few) and convincing us this is some totally ground-breaking material we've never heard before, and most people are stupid enough to believe it.
His debut full length album Selected Ambient Works 85-92, undeniably the most disgustingly popular and highly praised work in his career, is often considered to be a pioneering effort in the world of "IDM" and Electronic Dance Music as a whole and is considered "the most important electronic album of the 90's", often by people who have obviously yet to hear any other electronic albums from the 90's. It's a blatant attempt to play off of the popularity of all the emerging dance music genres at the time (Namely Ambient music, Acid House and Industrial Techno) with Richard throwing the most common elements from each of them into his own melting pot and presenting us with the foul smelling excrement which he claims is his own creation, and of course nerdy millennial white kids everywhere who probably know as much about electronic music as they do anything of importance in the world (that is to say, absolutely nothing at all) eat it up and parade it around as some magnum opus of a genre that never really existed in the first place, "IDM". A term which, ironically enough, Aphex Twin is often considered a figurehead of despite the fact he refuses to acknowledge it whatsoever.

it was ironic

Now lets talk about that for a second, there have been multiple occasions where he has shot down the term IDM over the years, often in favour of his own, even more repulsive, term "Braindance" (I mean honestly, what is that?). Yet despite this, just about every major release of his after (and including) I Care Because You Do has been specifically designed to appeal to the IDM community. Richard D James album is his attempt at cherry-picking the style of label mate Squarepusher (who is by far the superior musician) and integrating his own signature "funny/light hearted" sound from the time (haha guys I made a song about milkmen and boobs, haha isn't that just totally RANDOM? I'm so whacky!). It's absolutely abhorrent, how anyone genuinely enjoys this I will never understand, yet still it became immensely popular and propelled him even further into the limelight, as expected.

Come To Daddy and Windowlicker followed, both following the trend of silly yet "experimental" Drum and Bass work from the previous album, although this time he actually attempted to make the most commercially approachable work of his career, a fact he has openly admitted multiple times. Windowlicker is quite literally Aphex Twin "selling out", it was a single designed to be a big hit, which it very quickly became. Once again he'd jumped on yet another electronic bandwagon to propel himself even further into the spotlight, and once again his entire fan base ate it up without hesitation. The album Drukqs followed, an album which, thankfully, was quite panned by critics at the time for being an unapproachable incoherent mess. Despite this it has achieved a cult following amongst his most devote fans, usually those who believe technical ability surpasses actual musicality and talent in importance, or those who fail to realise the meaning of quality over quantity. Richard took something of a hiatus from the music industry after that before, sadly, making a big return in 2014 with the album Syro, which is so bland and unimportant that it isn't even worth talking about.
But on top of his music being nothing more than straight up copycat work under the façade of "originality", Richard David James is the most pathetic excuse of a human being I have ever seen. Constantly harassing and toying with the very fan base that gave him the ridiculously overblown cult status he has achieved, refusing to give out solid and reliable information on just about anything, and worst of all, being an absolute sexist, racist misogynistic scumbag.

Just read a single interview with the guy and you'll see what I mean. Or if that doesn't convince you, try reading through the absolute barrage of nonsensical crap he spat out on his unofficial soundcloud account last year. If that still doesn't convince you that the guy is an absolute braindead moron with no moral code whatsoever, do some research into the meaning of the word "Windowlicker".
So, in closing, Aphex Twin is the single most overrated electronic musician of the 21st century. Just try and prove me wrong.

Written by a feminazi who was dripping wet for RDJ's cock, only way to explain that obsession and denial.

All that shit sounds made up

If you've not heard of those genres then you have next to no knowledge of electronic/dance music, I'm sorry to say....

>hit singles
damn good reason

this

it would be so hot to see an autechre soundtrack with new autechre tracks as the soundtrack

what

it would be so hot if there was an autechre sextape of sean and rob fucking with brand new autechre tracks as the soundtrack

this board is officially fucked over

"no"
twenty one pilots are the future

got you my man
B12 - Time Tourist
Higher Intelligence Agency - Colourform
Biosphere - Microgravity
Orbital - Brown Album
LFO - Frequencies
FSOL - Dead Cities

Like whoever the hell you want

Unless it's twenty one pilots

i feel like banging to ae would be difficult

aphex is loads more genres

good tunes
like xtal and rhubarb and 4

>21 Pilots
>Band only has two members, neither of them are pilots

Fuck off

i know this thread is bait but holy shit does this trigger me

Autechre is literally just straight Arca

Andy Morin
Literally who?

If all you listen to is warp, you're going to be dissapointed. Even opn got fucked by their contract and hasn't put anything good out since he joined.

Try out out some stuff on the old merck label.
Ilkae,kettel,vim,drum machine etc

Hip hop producer for Death Grips

Autechre came out before Arca you know?

sure but they are an inferior and straighter product

r plus seven notwithstanding

this

reminder that idm isn't a thing

>autechre
techno, glitch
>aphex
acid techno, jungle
>boards of canada
downtempo
>squarepusher
futurejazz, dnb

>>gay for eachother probably
>>literally just noise/fart sounds
>>they like young thug
All good things

You know a board has gone to shit when the shitposters copy other shitposts from the exact same thread

Its the only way to teach you retards.

jesus fucking christ, OP.

who do you think is on top, sean or rob

how are they shitposts when they're true?

sean, obvs

Rob for sure

if u disagree with this ur dumb

winner

winner

>you can see a change in some of aphex twin's stuff after that point

for those wondering, Stockhausen's criticism came in November 1995.

aphex had released the I Care Because You Do album and the Donkey Rhubarb EP recently before that, and a year later had released the RDJ album and the Girl/Boy EP

I think he was thinking "shove this 'repetitive beat' up your ass mr stockhausen" when programming the drums for stuff like 4 and bucephalus bouncing ball

bitch he Didn't Get Trips

plus sean is definitely overcompensating for something. obviously the bottom.

aphex = 2/10
autechre = -5/10
squarepusher = 3/10
boards of canada = fuck off/10

twenty one pilots = 11/10

Don't get why BoC gets grouped up with them

they're on warp and the "big 4" refers to the "warp big 4"

someone explain me the 21 pilots meme

OP is Richrud

they're the new my chemical romance or evanescence for suburban white kids who think their life is hard, and had a couple of annoying as hell radio hits. long story short they trigger Sup Forums

test

whats all this about then??

- richard

you win

wew

Boards
>sappy
>Geogaddi ??

tru idm is shit
I just listen to dubstep

dont worry about this lol
if it's really you i love your music man

Dude I know right. Dude I know people who listen to rap/hip-hop/pop constantly, top 40's, that sorta shit, they LOVE Boards of Canada. I understand that a lot of that shit is an acquired taste (Autechre, Aphex, Squarepusher), but for real who in the fuck can hate Boards?