ITT: albums that changed your life

21 pilots - blurryface
death grips - bottomless pit

It changed fucking everything

Showed me what a true 10/10 sounds like.

The doors self titled album.

severely underage detected

baited for this exact response

What does it mean for an album to "change your life"?

in another sense opening your eyes to a new set of superior artistic and emotional and/or spiritual possibilities previously unknown. known elements being assembled in a pattern considered radical and a positive improvement over preconceived limits

you follow?

This album was what made me want to learn to play drums, which I now do semi-professionally. Thanks 7th grade me.

>semi-professionally

what did he mean by this?

*tips fedora*

really let me let out emotionally + introduced me to all my favorite artists now

LOVE :)

keep seeing this posted. red-pill me on vulfpeck

shitty ass forced meme

It's literally the same guy shitposting it because he finally found something obscure that he either loves or thinks is funny to post.

It's not very good imo, sheepishly interesting rhtymn based music.

>someone on here knows
thx

Thank God for Weezer

this album helped me realize that what i was feeling for this woman was love

we lasted four years together

i burned her a copy of this cd real early on, i wonder if she ever got around to listening to it

That is a nice, concise definition. Thank you.

I have a full time day job but I make an alright bit of side money as a studio drummer

Fuckin' Feels, man. Words can't describe how special this album is to me.

Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire - The Swimming Hour

The Good Life - Album of the Year

Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam

That first song was just literal perfection.

that's awesome. what style/genre? what are you usually playing for...bands/solo artists/commercial music/etc?

>that middle part
do they have anything else like it?

Jason Aldean - Old Boots New Dirt

I've always absolutely loved the Beatles. I can't remember a second they weren't a major part of my life right from the get-go. I know every song by heart, both musically (performance-wise), and lyrically. I adore them.

I always thought this album was totally overrated, there wasn't enough John, far too much Paul, and Within You Without You was bullshit. But I still loved it, just thought it wasn't near even the best five Beatles albums.

The first time I dropped acid, I listened to Revolver on the come-up and it was nice. I enjoyed myself. When I was deep into the peak, I lied down completely still with my eyes shut and listened to this at maximum volume. It felt as if I was being painted a picture on a massive canvas. It felt like every song was a place that I could hear only by going there, and the record was my driver. I picked up on absolutely tiny details I never noticed before in it. It sounded as if it were all around me, in a full three dimensions.

I've always loved Sgt. Pepper, but now that I've seen it from a new perspective, I not only love it as I did before but I can't unhear those things I heard, and I can't unsee the places it took me. Usually, if you need drugs to enjoy music you probably just don't like music much to begin with. With Sgt. Pepper, it was like a new camera angle, or seeing a film in blu-ray instead of VHS for me.

Also on the subject of LSD, my second time around I listened to this. This is another album I've always loved, but found a new appreciation for as a result. It was horrifying and unsettling and frankly, I was rattled to the core. It truly changed the way I just operate and think about things. Sgt. Pepper changed the way I see the concept of music (creating an experience instead of writing songs), but Plastic Ono Band crippled me, man. It's one heavy fucking album. I felt like I WAS fear. It felt like all John's experiences were coming from within. It's heavy.

this too

finally got around to listen to this for the first time today. Ill listen to it more until it clicks

It's a meme that doesn't deserve to be called a meme, because it's funny by itself without any forced context.

When I was about 12 or 13.

Mostly shitty local/regional artists where everyone wants to be the next country breakout star but the producer and I have a blast doing what we do.

its funny some of the best guitar solos I've heard are on country radio lol. for whatever reason

like the tele-twangers are really technically proficient and play with a lot of nuance/style

This for me as well

Seconding this. Love country guitar playing

go to fucking bed chris

Yeah this actually.

Others include:
Mount Eerie (the album)
Children of God, by Swans
Ys/Have One On Me/Divers by Joanna Newsom
Basically the entire Current 93 body of work, and much of Morrissey's solo stuff and work with the Smiths.

A lot of albums have genuinely changed my engagement with the world and with myself and others in various ways, most of these are "ideas" albums, rather than stuff like Lonerism or Forever Changes, or various other things listed above. I don't really understand how stuff like that could ever impact your life in any truly meaningful way.

I strongly believe that Lennon/Plastic Ono Band is the only Beatles related album with any merit whatsoever.

I can't agree that it's the only one just because of the way I was brought up and the influence they've all had on my life, but god damn if it isn't one of the best. I'll say it's definitely up there for me with Help! (favorite Beatles album), which isn't something I say lightly.

What sort of influence did they have on your life?
I ask this as somebody who was previously obsessed with them for several years but have grown to despise pretty much their entire output because it feels emblematic of many of the things that I dislike most in music and popular culture more broadly -- an unrealistic and dishonestly romantic worldview, the appropriation of avant-garde techniques for non-subversive commercial release, and a general lack of anything resembling true expression or meaning or value or purpose outside of itself.

This album got me really into heavy metal along with Judas Priest's "Screaming for Vengeance".

This. Got me into popular music.

I consumed their entire catalog -- music, films, Lennon's books, basic biographical stuff (later getting more advanced) -- before I seriously touched almost any other media. I was seriously like 9 before I was consciously aware other music really existed. I even fucking read some parodic novel about them, Paperback Writer, in second grade, cover-to-cover like four times. My brother moved out when I was very young, my mother was generally distant and left us early on, and my father was frankly quite abusive after she left, so I latched onto the Beatles -- which my father had introduced me to before he became a fucking violent nut -- as individuals as if they were intimate family members or dear friends. The first time I remember crying was when George Harrison died. I was four. And I've always felt a special kinship with John for some reason, I feel the closest to him emotionally. I often feel that I miss him the way I miss dead family members and pets, even though I was born 17 fucking years after he died.

So not only is my entire perception of "art" and "performance" written basically on the canvas that is them and *all* of their work, they themselves are substantially emotionally dear to me. I waited until I was 19 to listen to Free as a Bird and Real Love because I didn't want to accept John was dead. When I finally did, good god, it was some of the most emotional time I'd ever had. I feel as if I have a conception of the Beatles that most people don't have and probably can't, because I feel like I've known it so deeply for so long that it is a substantial part of my being. I mentioned I listened to Plastic Ono Band on an acid trip; I wrote nine pages, handwritten, front and back trying to get this all out in the air, and there's one line separated by like four blank ones on either end that just reads: "they will always be there for me. They can never take them away from me". I think that probably sums it up better than I ever could otherwise.

No offense but I don't why people like this album so much. I thought it was ok.

Not the user you were talking to but man, thats deep. You articulate well though and I definitely understand what you're saying

Honestly, it's probably unhealthy. The way I describe it to a lot of people is that some people grow up watching Disney and in a way feel closely tied to those characters and storylines, but I never saw those until I was like 18 so I don't get it, and instead watched the Beatles films.

Thanks, by the way.

17 year old me found this and was never the same

I was 15 don't judge

Never the same afterwards

stopped my edgy teenage ass from killing myself. Still holds up I highly recommend, super underrated band

this is mine too

This.

Same. All summer 2013?

I was dabbling in the genre before, but this album had me finally becoming a full blown progfag.

This album took awhile to grow on me, but after hearing Siberian Khatru and giving the rest of the album a listen it finally became one of my GOATs, the only album by Yes to rival it is The Yes Album.

...and thus began my downward spiral into IDM, and my family making fun of/being disgusted by what I listen to.

This and pic related.

This, Make Yourself, and A Crow Left of the Murder. Made me appreciate entire albums instead of 1 or 2 songs

Really the only album i can give 10/10.

Oh definitely, Crow is underappreciated. I'd even add Science and Light Grenades to that. I couldn't have asked for a better introduction to music than them.

SCIENCE is the only nu-metal album that survived the shit genre. It's like finding gold on a pile of shit

Light Grenades is definitely a solid. It's like Crow, but with more focus on love (and cheesy shit like that, but you can't fault Rogues, Paper Shoes, Pendulous Thread and Anna Molly). My only gripes are the "ehh" tracks (Diamonds and Coal, maybe Love Hurts if I'm not being a simp)

What are your thoughts on Fungus, If Not Now, and Trust Fall (Side A)

Deftones' first two albums are pretty good, as far as nu metal goes. Science is my favourite Incubus album for sure. The three after that are all equal to me.

I like Light Grenades, I feel it gets a lot of unnecessary crap. The songs you picked are some of their best ever (especially Pendulous and Anna Molly), Quicksand is brilliant also. But yeah the bad tracks are decidedly bad, Diamonds and Coal is possibly their worst song.

I enjoy Fungus, it's a pretty great effort for a bunch of 17 year olds but as a result it shows their influences pretty transparently. INNW is probably the only Incubus album I wouldn't enjoy listening to all the way through. The vocals are mixed way too high in the mix and the instrumentals are bland. Adolescents is a good song though, so is Wolves.

Trust Fall was an improvement I thought. I don't understand the hate Make Out Party got, it's way more interesting than 90% of the content on INNW. I thought Dance Like You're Dumb and Absolution Calling were forgettable, the title track is excellent though.

What's your favourite album of theirs?

I hope you fall into a trash compactor.

how much of a faggot you should be to make this album change your life

My favorite is a toss-up between SCEINCE and Crow. Both really push their songwriting abilites, and are solid albums from start to finish

Make Yourself goes second, but Drive will always have a fuck ton of sentimental value to me.

The rest of their discography always varies in terms of enjoyment. I went through 5 months enjoying If Not Now, then the rest of the year on Light Grenades

I hope that they go further writing songs like Trust Fall and Make Out Party

Yeah good choices, I think Crow probably is their best along with Science. I absolutely adore that album. It's a really interesting listen despite most of the songs following a simple verse/chorus format.

I have high hopes for their next effort. From what I've gathered from interviews and such I think they're really driven to deliver something solid.

this is gonna sound pleb tier but animal collective literally changed the way I listen to music

IKTFB except replace that with this.

But Tri Repetae is what got me into Ae as well.

I was a massive mealfag until I listened to XXX. This was the catalyst for my desire to explore new genres.

Four years later, I barely even listen to metal.
>meal
>food

Not a fan of SOAD?

All of them.

Not him but some people tend to refrain from calling SOAD nu metal. In my opinion their stuff is some of the best the genre has to offer.

I think people are hesitant to call SOAD nu-metal because of the lack of sampling and turntable sounds.

I think they're pretty hard to categorize as anything but "alt-metal" because they don't really sound like anybody else.

Didn't really care for music until I heard this, changed everything.

This