The New Essentials

Sup Forums is dying.

We have exhausted our meme supply. The old Sup Forumscore is pretentious, obsolete, and depressing. In order to revive this board, we must refocus on the music whose influence has shaped our modern world. In order to accomplish this, I have taken the liberty of compiling a list of albums which, I believe, best represents music's transition from the late-60's into the modern day without the bloat of prior lists.

It's not enough that an album is good, it must either directly foreshadow an important direction in the music industry, or perfectly encapsulate the style of the day. No list is perfect, but in order for this board to grow, we must move our discourse beyond Radiohead, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Death Grips.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/89mE8-MuQ0U
youtube.com/watch?v=2NOc1Gnu18I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump

Shit chart m8

No. Are you retarded?

>the stone roses
no

Like these are new essentials

>not liking the stone roses
>perfers current Sup Forumscore

They greatly influenced 90s rock

Sup Forums core isnt some arbitrary list we all agreed was great its just the albums that got spammed the most in like 2013
thats why american football is up there despite being shit
but i mean spam rhose enough and everyone will agree theyre great Sup Forums is just a hive mind of trend following hipsters

No new Sup Forums-core chart is complete without the firsts shoegaze album

>Sup Forums core isnt some arbitrary list we all agreed was great its just the albums that got spammed the most in like 2013

I'm aware of that, it's just that this board is so rooted in past orthodox that we can't evolve.

>american football is up there despite being shit

It's a good album, but an 8.5 at most.

So you like the list?

britbongs detected

What is this?

Who cares fucking Sup Forums core? Changing Sup Forums core is vain.

soul mining is the best album ever

nice dubs.

good idea, bad chart
i took the liberty of expanding upon yours a little

who cares

this is actually really great
it sounds like a voodoo ceremony out in the swamps near new orleans

Even worse than kpop

Because the current Sup Forumscore is a false idol which stifles discussion. It's like our Torah and we are the pharisees.

don't put the Stone Roses, put R.E.M. or something
at least R.E.M. has more than one good album

get off this board, your taste is beyond saving

I thought that was kpop

I would call you an idiot but those digits are amazing

Doesn't matter if they only made one good album. The Stone Roses may not be the greatest artists, but their first album is the pivotal transition between 80s and 90s rock.

which rem album would you put though

murmur is the obvious choice but the next two are equally worthy
i'd probably pick fables because it's underrated, even if i prefer murmur

Sup Forumscore isn't stuff chosen because it's good, it's the most talked about albums. I do think the Sup Forumscore chart is outdated but I also think Sup Forumscore as a concept is cancerous and just leads to everyone on the board listening to and praising the same shit. Making a new chart won't help that, it'll just cause it to happen with the new albums. What really should happen is that people should stop thinking Sup Forumscore is stuff that they have to listen to as this just causes what I said before, people just stick to them as the "best" albums despite that not being what Sup Forumscore is.

So do you want to make The Stone Roses a new idol? lol
Making Sup Forumscore and Sup Forumscore is just vain. Don't be serious about them.

The current Sup Forumscore aren't discussed a lot because they are Sup Forumscore, they are Sup Forumscore because they are discussed a lot.

Mu core is helpful to newcomers as a way of saying "familiarise yourself with these, they are talked about a lot"

you are right, this is good
thank you

Behold your new god

Most of the OP's albums aren't talked about a lot and even the original ones aren't too much anymore. People like OP are just misunderstanding what Sup Forumscore is and think it's what people consider the "best" albums and think making a new chart will help with anything.

Eww. Cringe.

can you name one song on the current Sup Forumscore chart that is better than any of these

I think its useful also, but it needs to be updated. Not as an objective list of best or most influential albums like OP is trying to do because thats subjective and impossible. But just the most talked about albums in 2016. But not more than maybe 20, beyond that it's just personal taste.

NMH, Loveless, Spiderland, Kid A have to be there of course.

Think of it as, what albums would you absolutely expect every single member of Sup Forums to have listened to. What albums are 100% necessary to have heard in order to participate in board culture.

I understand that Sup Forumscore isn't supposed to be the "best" albums, but it's treated like that because of continuous reinforcement and punishment by users of this website. Also, at a certain time, Sup Forumscore was the defacto "best" because it was what all the discussion was about.

I'm trying to move this board's discourse towards more unpretentious, important, but often overlooked albums.

Swans - Helpless Child

>Think of it as, what albums would you absolutely expect every single member of Sup Forums to have listened to. What albums are 100% necessary to have heard in order to participate in board culture.
none of them 2bh, that's the good thing

I can't. Because you think Morning Musume is best. Your autism level is above all.

>Sup Forums is dying
i wish

this isn't even on YouTube
i'm sorry but if you don't think Morning Musume is good you should quit music and find a new hobby

>I'm trying to move this board's discourse towards more unpretentious, important, but often overlooked albums.
Pretentious is a stupid complaint and baseless really. What anyone that tries to do this is going to do is just post some albums that they like and think should be talked about more. You can't force shit like this and trying to do so will just do more harm than good. Everyone is just going to ignore any chart you make because it's just another "I'm trying to fix Sup Forums!" arbitrary list of albums like has been done a bunch of times before. Stop trying to force discussion in a certain direction outside of making threads.

>this isn't even on YouTube

>this isn't even on Youtube
Nigger what the fuck.

if you havent heard soundtracks for the blind, holy shit youre in for a treat. listen to helpless child

Okay. If you were going to change Sup Forumscore, what would you do?

and report back pls

Go back to your assigned containment thread

weird
the way i see it there's just a live version that can't match up to the recorded album and also someone's corrupted file
Morning Musume aren't Korean, K-pop is all generic house and hip-hop with the same structure in every song

I wouldn't because I don't like the concept and also don't agree with trying to force discussion about certain albums.

Who cares Sup Forumscore? Only newfags cares them seriously. There are a lot of good discussions without Sup Forumscore in this boards.
And just making "The New Essentials" is means nothing. They have to be more spicy and attractive.

the live version is superb, listen to that

the live album swans are dead is better than sftb some days for me

reckoning or fables

Find a new hobby? lol what? What hobby? Just watching morning musme video and jerking hard? Is that your hobby?

desu soul mining is a banger of an album

wait nah its just a shitty iphone video

heres the yt link to the stuio version

youtu.be/89mE8-MuQ0U

>didn't listen SFTB once
>think j-pop is god-tier
Go away and don't comeback here

You mean the old essentials?

>has never listened to the instrumental version of Pyoko Pyoko Ultra on repeat until attaining spiritual enlightenment
>thinks this tuneless old man warbling too low for his vocal range over a royalty-free piece of low-budget documentary background music a is groundbreaking work

Yes!

>Morning Musume aren't Korean
So what? That make them good music? If you don't have containment thread, go make your own. Fucking weaboo.

>new list = new memes
>OP is trying to make a new meme and isn't even trip fagging

why don't you make one for me if you care so much, it seems like it's more your problem than mine

Sup Forumscore are albums discussed frequently on Sup Forums.

Not your shitty taste you fucking faggot.

>Sup Forums is dying, so Sup Forums shall become rym

great stuff

>the instrumental version of Pyoko Pyoko Ultra
Morning Musume composed instrumetal part? lol

The Stone Roses blow

>the bloat of prior lists

There's too much to pick from, you can't even fit it all in

The thing about your new essentials besides loveless/vu&n/maybe forever changes is they aren't even disliked or anything, they're all number 49 best albums in a top 50 tier albums

Top 50 is really fucking good

This is just proof there will be new memes
There will be memes for ages to come

it feels like the musical equivalent of some Hollywood film in that it's very predictably structured with a "grandiose" kind of feeling to it (not really a bad thing, because if there wasn't demand for this kind of entertainment nobody would make it)
the vocal section was poor because the vocalist doesn't have the range for the song, but the intro that sounds kind of like a neutered Mille Plateaux act and the crescendo part were pretty okay
of course the downfall of making music that's so "cinematic" in scope is that it often feels incomplete without accompanying context or visuals
6/10

did you hear the live version? like i said it's a shitty recording. i posted the link for the real one

you posted an NBA game trailer

oh my god, fuck the youtube app. i pressed share while the ad was playing

youtube.com/watch?v=2NOc1Gnu18I

ah, fuck

>but in order for this board to grow
Instead why don't you just leave?

get the youtube unblocker extension

lol what a country

From a completely objective standpoint, these are the only albums I could think of that are frequently posted around here, are usually well-received, and aren't posted just as a meme.

If there's a new mu-core, IMO, it's something like this.

Feel free to add/change whatever you feel makes sense!

Says the blazer

and before you guys lose your shit for TPAB, it's a very similar situation of that of MBDTF

oh, it's on Vimeo

> best represents music's transition from the late-60's into the modern day without the bloat of prior lists
Pet Sounds better represents its era (and is a more ambitious and necessary listen) than Forever Changes, as much as I like both.

I like the Feelies, but what are they supposed to represent here? If you want post-punk or new wave, Remain in Light and Unknown Pleasures are the more immediately necessary listens- one of which is on mucore already.

>The The
why

Thank you, this is more like it.

I would remove Twin Fantasy tbqh and add Spirit of Eden or Laughing Stock

Perhaps a Swans album also, maybe SFTB.

sweet trip is a nice record, but it's in no way well discussed here, and there's not much to it that makes it essential.

Turn on the Bright Lights is half a good record. The second half is so dull.

Tago Mago and TPAB are the only ones on there that I would ever argue are mu core.

what are your thoughts on this

This

Not talking about the quality of the records though. I made that chart, and I only listened to Tago Mago. I checked the archive for some reference. These records popped up a lot (of course, not a s much as current mucore, but that's prob because they're already established as so). The discussions about these records were generally positive, so, opinions aside, they're kinda liked around here.

TPAB, CttE and V:D:C are actually the ones I saw the most.

how about this

Accurate. I completely forgot about Talk Talk. The other ones are already Sup Forumscore.

SFTB is already Sup Forums core. TBK is my closest contender to new mucore from Swans.

actually i reconsidered right after posting this

what do you guys think of this? what should be added

I think the old Sup Forumscore is outdated. we should try and make something to replace it, not just to supplement it. that means removing albums like american football that arent talked about anymore while keeping albums like kid a and sftb and (maybe) mbdtf that are still talked about all the time and a big part of board culture.

what about adding a bjork album? homogenic? i think she's talked about a lot on here but maybe it just seems like that because of all the waifufagging

Pretty cool.

Oh I see. Agree. That's a good idea m8. I like that chart.

I was hesitant about adding Art Angels for this same reason: I'm not actually sure if the album is really the main points of those discussions.

"Sup Forumscore" is a meme that needs to be destroyed. Sup Forums is not unique in liking any of these bands, and except for Death Grips and some vaporwave people no real musicians actually post here. You people are all deluded idiots.