It's amazing how a band could create an album with 2 1/2 hours of filler

Cuz is expected to be experimental and unique xD!

nice bait nigger

actually i think every track on the album is good and not filler

The best part is, no-one can refute this. It's true.

I'm serious, this album is so. fucking. slow. and extremely long too.

Of course your ADHD will get in the way of music listening.

too deep for you then, bro. I thoroughly enjoyed it and based on some other works and their new swans lineups, the very long experimental elements of their albums is a theme of theirs.. nothing wrong with that, it's just that you don't like it. but that's okay

I'm sorry, but it's extremely difficult to listen to music that doesn't progress in anyway, just continuing at a sluggish tangent that is exhausting to listen to after like an hour an and a half.

It does progress, but
>not liking drone

an album? try a fucking discography. This band is fucking horrible.

>too deep for you then, bro

That isn't the problem with the music. My problem is that the songs last like twenty minutes without progressing or increase intensity or decrease intensity. It's just this constant listen of molasses on the brain, that is exhausting.

I like drone, but this doesn't do it for me. And it's not even just a drone album, it's a post rock/punk/ambient/experimental album. And each of those genres is just repetitive and exhausting after a while. I don't get anything out of this, and I listen, read, and try to interpret the lyrics. But I don't see how this is epic. Why is it epic?

part of the appeal ((((((for me)))))) is that sometimes their songs last very long, it creates a atmosphere you don't get with cookie cutter 3-4 min songs and also it helps that the riffs or drones created by computer/tapes or whatever stimulates the brain (in STFTB). It's different strokes for everyone but I think you're viewing music and song structure in a predisposed and old viewpoint. open up my man

Sup Forums - Music
Please support Sup Forums by disabling your ad blocker on *.Sup Forums.org/*, purchasing a self-serve ad, or buying a Sup Forums Pass.
[Post a Reply]
05/08/16 Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!
04/28/16 New trial board added: /qst/ - Quests
12/20/15 New trial board added: /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests
[Hide] [Show All]
Please support Sup Forums by disabling your ad blocker on *.Sup Forums.org/*, purchasing a self-serve ad, or buying a Sup Forums Pass.
Toggle
Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!
[Return] [Catalog] [Bottom]
13 / 0 / 8 / 3
[Update] [Auto]

This is literally the only 10/10 mu-core album. What the fuck are you talking about?

Nice bait, but it's not spicy enough

I understand that, and I don't care about song length or structure. See what got me into this album is that people call it similar to "GY!BE- LYSF" and I love that album, it's classic. That album has constantly building instrumentation, ambiance, field recordings, orchestrations, etc... But that album is constantly evolving like partaking in a story. But my problem with Soundtracks is the progression of the songs. It goes on so many tangents that it lacks cohesion to me, and I feel like the songs go on for way longer than necessary. With Godspeed it isn't absolutely exhausting to listen to, especially since Lift Your Skinny Fists, F#A#, Yanqui, are not two and a half hours fucking long of constant droning guitars. I understand that Soundtracks is diverse, but there isn't cohesion like those albums to keep me interested/ not exhausted. Please tell me what narrative you get from this, because I can't get anything.

How come? Please tell me why. Please tell me what you get out of this album or a narrative that is crucial to understand about this album.

it's amazing how an album that's two and a half hours of filler can be so good, how did they do it?
not that user, but essentially when people were saying that Soundtracks had similarities to Lift Your Skinny Fists, I think they were just trying to emphasize the crescendo-based rock stuff on the record, the actual drones and ambient sections are quite different to LYSF. SFTB isn't expected to be diverse and it's not really part of the appeal, you might just dislike the record as opposed to not "getting it."

then again it's a beast of an album, it might grow on you, or not. who knows? hope I helped though.

I guess simply it's from feeling and that is it. some people hear the sounds and love it and some don't. I don't have a deep interpretation or anything but maybe somebody else will. When I first heard all of this I was blown away but I respect your opinion and I respect you not shitting all over me

>without progressing or increasing/decreasing intensity
Wew lad, we're you even listening? Are you going to tell me that The Sound, Helpless Child, Empathy, or The Final Sacrifice didn't change in intensity or progress? There are valid reasons not to like this album, and that is not one of them.

sorry, when I said it's not expected to be diverse I really meant to say that it's not expected to be so cohesive, of course the record is diverse in sound and form.

What does this album mean to you? Or at least what songs keep you interested and tensed for what is coming next?

What does this album mean to you and how does it make you feel?

I came from a shit background and it recaptured all those dark feelings and made it beautiful in a sense. Made it all too real when I was entering my sleep stage late at night. it wasn't just noise anymore it was a state of well being and that was of people like myself that had depression and bipolar that found solace in the confusion of life. I can't describe it better but this is close to it

See I didn't find any of those tracks to be intense, or explode like people say they do. Another thing is I do not like the production of the album, it is like you are playing it loudly in your basement or in different room, and then listen to it from there.

The way i see it, the album is supposed to drone on and be relentlessly heavy in order to make the listener feel the discomfort and bleakness being developed in the lyrics. It's not pop music so you went get the same things out of it. It's similar to how Martyrs is to movies, not a pleasant film to watch but the conclusion is such a powerful sense of nihilism that it's difficult not to recognize the brilliance on display.

Well, first of all, this album isn't about "getting" anything. For me the beauty of it lies in its powerful delivery. That's what this album's all about: extremely powerful delivery, atmosphere and emotion, all packed into a single 2 hours long jaw-dropping ride.

Let me put it in this way: the album is raw, yet, it feels sophisticated, carefully put together. It is not a narrative, nor it relies on increasingly faster, crescendo-like instrumentation to excite or to keep your attention; it does that, however, by masterfully transporting you into the setting the band wants to evoke.

See for example these songs:
-I Was A Prisoner in your Skull: atmospheric drone that begins unsettling, to then give away this hellish, spacey ambient paired with a dark, grimy recording. The combination of these two in this song gives away an amazingly terrifying image.

-Volcano: another example. The song begins with a very simple techno sample reminiscent of the 90's cheap night clubs. The backing vocals, the instrumentation and the atmosphere is intoxicating. You picture the orgy and the drugs and the sex and all the crazy shit happening.

-Helpless Child
-All Lined Up
-Animus
-Etc.

The images you get are amazingly real. You can smell the shit, feel the fire and all that shit, and this is due the fucking powerful and concise delivery Swans has going on in this.

Hope this can give some insight.

That's a really well done answer. I guess this is an album that is very personal to what people's interpretation is. I never had that specific feeling of depression or bipolar, however I have dealt with and deal with psychosis and schizophrenia. Yet I cannot connect with this album, and I have listened to it more than 7 times.

I used to be like you. Loved GYBE and came to this album because I saw it described as one of the great post rock albums. I hated it at first. I wanted the explosive instrumentation and depressive qualities that GYBE had, and I didn't think this had it. It does. Listen to it again. This album doesn't hold your hand like GYBE does so you have to really dive into it and listen intently.

i heard it for the first time today, it's incredibly predictable and boring

Thank you, do you recommend listening to it with different sets of times, instead of listening to it all at once? Because I think that is my issue with this, is that it gets pretty tiring right after silver for me.

I'm finding it difficult to pinpoint songs as I've only listened to it for the first time relatively recently. The Sound, Helpless Child, Yum-Yab Killers, Animus, Empathy, and The Final Sacrifice I can immediately recall as being very enjoyable songs. The thing is a large amount of my time listening to the record was hypnotic and trance-like, I enjoyed the whole thing as an overall experience despite really liking some individual songs here and there.

As for what it means to me? I felt really nice after hearing it, kind of like I felt a bit understood or that I'd heard something extremely emotional and that impacted on me and made me feel better. Weird as it may seem, I connect emotionally to a lot of this band's music so the immediate positive response is always there for me, I'm just naturally drawn to them and you might not be the same, or just might not be right now. Again, hope I helped. Maybe give it a while as it's an over two-hour long record and trying to force yourself to get it probably won't work very effectively.

That's a very great and well thought out answer. I appreciate songs like the first three songs. I guess I need to separate each song and interpret it for myself, and I definitely can see where you come from and will try to look it through that lens.

See I don't think GYBE "holds your hand" throughout the experiences. In that case it would be incredibly accessible music, which it isn't. They are two different types of music with different atmospheres, themes, and all around sounds to the music. In that case, you can say that any type of music you like and indulge in holds your hand throughout the music.

See a lot of people connect to this because of the relatability. I think I need to process the songs on a more cognitive level, and try to relate it to past experiences. Maybe I need to listen to it with a blindfold, so I can only focus on the music and partake in the soundscapes that it has to offer.

When first getting into it, I'd say it might be best to listen to the two discs separately to prevent fatigue from becoming overwhelming. However, for me personally (and this might be different for everyone) I love sitting down and just devoting myself to a two hour stretch of absolute bleakness and torture if only because it is so well executed. I feel the fatigue is part of the experience and enhances the weight of the depressive nihilism Gira is conveying in his lyrics.

Hope you enjoy it and imagine the things I talked about. This alb is called "Soundtrack for Blind" for a reason.

Oh cool, I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Yeah, Swans is shit.

I'll give them another or a couple of more tries, you never know

too bad you can;t enjoy the my man. This albums is GOAT.