Ask a Guitar Center employee anything

Ask a Guitar Center employee anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WhsbJjg2MKE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why

can i get free stuff my man

why

I can't even get free shit. We don't even get a good discount anymore.

Yeah.

What riff and solo do the customers play most?

Do we get spoiler tags? - Take a guess.

[spoiler]Sweet Child O' Mine[/spoiler]
Also due to a regional thing
[spoiler]Jesus Christ - Brand New[/spoiler]

is playing Smoke on the Water banned?

Heard someone play it as a joke like a week ago. Anyone who plays stairway to heaven gets a, "NO STAIRWAY" from customers and staff.

why do all the people doing repairs suck ass at their job

What's your favorite food?

Dude I have no idea, our guy took 3 months on one guitar, and basically went on vacation last week with over 20 Repairs to do.

They won't even let us touch shit. I've been a guitar tech for some bigger touring bands and they won't even let me restring shit.

how easy was it to get your job

I love pizza, but french fries tempt me a with a good time.

Really fucking easy I had a killer resume, and I know how to talk to people.

How do you feel about those faggot kids who are going through their rock/metal phase and picm up guitars and act as if they're gods? Any bad experiences with these kids?

Fatass.

why do only faggots shop at your stores?

Do you sell acoustic-electric tenor ukuleles at your store?

what the discount? 5?

Why do you guys not know anything about gear, and insist on customers "upgrading" to more expensive equipment?

>Inb4muhcommission

>I had a killer resume
what in your resume stood out the most and any advice in getting a sweet gig?

lel imma play stairway now

Yeah man especially today, had these two faggots come in and try to sell 8 guitar pedals (bought 2) 4 lefty guitars, (bought 2 that were so shitty) an amp (didnt buy)
The only reason I bought his shit is because he said he was going to put it towards a telecaster. Then he decided to dip with the money instead and I gave him way more than he should have. That shit sucks. Mainly the metal kids come in, shred, act like faggots and talk shit to other customers, go in the acoustic room and play beethoven and rave about how they love classical music and dip without buying anything.

Those are my favorite foods, I limit what I eat because I care about my body. I'm in great shape but it doesn't matter

Because the store is easily accessible for the lowest tier of people.

I do.

Nah it's got like 3 tiers to it.
First off you have to work 30 days to get the discount, this was implemented because GC has the biggest fucking turnover rate.
So after 30 Days you can get 10% ABOVE cost of an item.

So if lets say I wanted a Nano Pog.
Those retail 202.
The cost for GC is like 160
So you're paying like 175 with the 10% THEN paying Taxes. Which in my state is 8.875
So it's $190.50 which is not even a good discount.

Then after 90 days (next to impossible for people to reach) you get Gain which is 10% BELOW cost

>comission

lololololol Dude The comission at GC is a joke. They break it down into insane tax brackets that you have to hit depending on how many hours you work. Comission is essentially not real at GC. If someone is trying to oversell you they're either a shark, or stupid and don't know there shit.

>what in your resume stood out the most and any advice in getting a sweet gig?
My last corporate Job I was promoted to Manager within a week because of my skills. Brought my store to the top 3 in the Country single handidly then quit to tour manage for Mayhem fest then several other tours.
I had experience with pro audio gear, guitar teching, sales, and more.

>lel imma play stairway now
Do it, you'll just feel like an idiot when you get a crowd of old people to tell you you're playing it wrong, and "no stairway."

Advice on going to test out guitars/amps and not look like a faggot?

Just go in and go straight for what you're looking for. Bring a friend if you really don't want to talk to someone. If they come in, literally give them an attitude, and tell them. "I'm not buying today, I'm not putting on layaway I'm just here to test out some equipment."

Alternatively say you're being helped already and no one will ever talk to you again.

Is there anyway I can get a guitar for free? I am homeless and I need a guitar so I can make some money (busking)

Has anyone ever done diarrhea in the DJ room?

Yeah, sign up to every fucking give away.
Or steal one.

Nope, lol.

how hard do you think it would be to ask to see a cheap (50) dollar guitar and run out the shop with it?

also is theft common?

We don't carry any $50 guitars at my shop.
I get emails from other stores about theft every single day. I've had one theft since I started it was a 599.99 Tele that was it.

ok lets say a cheap acousitc

how hard do you think it would be to see the cheapest acoustic and walk out with it?

Considering you'd have to go into an acoustic room with a dude sitting in it, then leave to a floor with associates all over, then exit past them with a guitar without the proper receipts and anyone recognizing helping you you'd get nabbed hard here.

Sorry to be annoying, but how do they steal 500 dollar guitars? Hide it in their pants?

Nah the dude just grabbed it and walked out, the cameras just so happen to be down that day because we were switching internet providers.

You're not annoying, if you can steal it do it, fuck GC lol

Why are most people who work at guitar center complete faggots with shit taste. Most of them in my town are """""metal heads"""""

I heard most shoplifting happens by or with help from employees so I wouldnt be surprised if that was an inside job kek

thanks for the advice

Not sure, my crew is pretty diverse.
Lot more post hardcore/punk than anything
and like Dj's.

I personally like Shoegaze, all about that pedalboard baby.

Not at my store. You can try, if you scream the code word Sexy Saw, split me in half and walk out with a guitar I wont stop you.

Ive been honestly considering gping into GC with an empty hardshell and a friend. Take a decent guitar into the amp room and putting it in the case then leaving. Whatre the odds I get caught?

How do you feel about Sam Ash? Are they a big competitor to GC? I'm a Sam Ash customer if that means anything.

Niki sixx stole a guitar that way

100%
95% of the guitar thefts are from this method. We let you leave the store just so you can actually be charged to the full extent of the law lol.
I get emails with peoples pictures who try this same approach every single day.EVERY SINGLE DAY dude.

I'm from where Sam Ash is from, but they're no competition over here. I'll even send people that way if we don't have what they're looking for and they have it in stock. I'm tight with the guys over there and we send eachother people based on stock.

What's your other job

I tour manage for established artists on both independent and major labels.

have you ever touched your pp while working?

How do you walk into the GC with a guitar of your own and not expect the clerks to check which one you're leaving out with, especially if you're taking out an identical twin to test in the acoustics room? Unless the employees are retarded, you're getting caught.

You're better off trying to dash out of there instead of trying to pull this espionage sneaky shit.

Pat?

dave?

Every single time I take a piss.

Never knew a Pat

Nope neither of those.

That's what I was wondering, too.

I'd just put on a wig, sunglasses, some fake facial hair, platform shoes and a pillow under my hoody and just run in and grab something and run out.

No.

Your exact job situation sounds like a dude i knew that used to work gc out here till he moved.

That's the music life, I thought I would make more connections working there but it's all the same.

Faggots who come in and say, "A REP FROM SONY/EQUALVISION/VICTORY/FEARLESS/RISE WAS AT THE SHOW AND THEY WANT TO SIGN MY BAND"

But I know a&r guys from all of the labels they mention and they come in every week telling me their just about to break through. I don't brag or tell anyone my background in the industry the one or two times I did people were just trying to use me for connections and I don't like that.

nice been to Mayhem fest a couple times good stuff

feeling like an idiot won't be nothing new to me

Why do you only shave your left goose egg?

>nice been to Mayhem fest a couple times good stuff
Nah last year was complete shit and made NO money which is why mayhem fest will never be done again.

Yeah breaking is fucking impossible.

Im pretty much over trying to get a deal. This new band im doing is just diy'ing as much as possible. It would be could to score a label but, being metal it would be even harder.

It's all about who you know, and how much money you make while DIY.
The record industry is going to crash soon because of everyone being independent. Labels don't even do shit for people they can't do themselves anymore. You're paying for the name like you would an expensive shirt.

My opinion for anyone DIYING, Create attainable sales goals and smash them. If you don't, quit because you will not ever make money. If you can't market yourself neither can a label because they just don't do that anymore. You establish your fan base, and they give you a shout out on Instagram thats it.

i didn't go last year which was kind of a downer cause King Diamond was playing

Super Chill guy, he got sick towards the tail end it made us loop states which was fucking frustrating.

Kerry King was a major fucking dickbag who made his staff cry. Felt to bad for the poor girl, this chick was up 6AM every day, and asleep at God knows when taking care of those fucking man children.

can you smoke a doobie during a shift my man

thanks for the info bro

Diamond always seemed chill
youtube.com/watch?v=WhsbJjg2MKE

yeah i've never been a Slayer fan to begin with

what has been the best band to work with and any advice on their good work ethics for us Sup Forums people learn from if we ever start band someday?

quick question i'm thinking of volunteer for the Warped tour say an ad for it

i don't like any of the music but it seems like a great experience to learn from

don't want to work the boring concession stands would much rather work on the stage stuff

what am i getting myself into? and if i do decide to volunteer and what should i do to better prepare myself for the event?

Nah, and I wouldn't anyway I think that shit is for fags.

>what has been the best band to work with and any advice on their good work ethics for us Sup Forums people learn from if we ever start band someday?
I really enjoyed working with Taking back Sunday, their crew was fucking Aces, and every night made me remember why I live in a van 8 months out of the year.

If you start a band make sure you practice, and rehearse.
I can't tell you how many times I've gone out on the road with a band and they only had their first practice in months that morning at a studio.
Practice, rehearse, practice rehearse. If you can't stand to do your set over and over again, you're never going to make it as a touring musician.
Pinch your pennies, spend your money on supporting your art, not tattoos, clothing, and junk food. Pay your Staff a fair wage, and treat everyone you meet like Gold. Learn proper terms, screaming "I WANT TO SOUND WARM" to your Sound guy during your LINE-CHECK (not Sound check) only pisses those guys off. Instead, "More low end, roll off the highs a bit? Maybe add a slapback? Thank you!" they'll give you exactly what you want.

If you have issues with anyone on the road, squash it right away, letting that shit fester for months will drive you nuts.

>what am i getting myself into? and if i do decide to volunteer and what should i do to better prepare myself for the event?
You will unfortunately be standing in the blistering heat directing cars to park in a certain spot for 6-8 hours. Then collecting meal tickets from bands for the remaining hours while being treated poorly, making NO real connections.

Warped is the worst tour. It's a shell of what it used to be, it's corporate greed incarnate.

That being said you might luck out and get the "adults tent" which is where moms of preteens chill in a tent with AC.

Yeah we have aa fee small connections here and there. But we're gonna have everything set and ready to go before we even play a show... merch, ep, etc. Ducks all in a row that way its all hittin the pavement, playin and promoting

Stick to 1-2 different style shirts MAXIMUM, and do download cards to your EP instead of CD's
you'll save a Shit ton of money for yourself.
Get a friend with sales experience and a good personality to run your merch. Sitting their with your eyes glued to your phone doesn't get you sales.

My first few tours I was a merch guy.
The band i toured with played a festival as the doors opened. We're talking 10AM
They played to a crowd of 7 people.

In the 10 hours at the Fest.
I still managed to sell more than $800 in merchandise, and $200 in tips.

Most of the people who bought merch never even heard of the band. I still get people messaging me from that day saying the band and me changed their life.

The more personality your merch person has the better.

thanks for the post

Thanks for the tips.

Knew about the merch but the download cards are a good idea

Where should I go for my first gig? I went to some random bar, bunch of local bands, three generic pop punk bands in a row and I just left, sound was too loud and the highs were piercing my soul. Even if I came out with fresh music, the normans would think it was shit cause of the sound.

The moneys in the shirts right? I know a unique artist and a pretty good graphic designer. Did ya'll go for band name, logo, what?

Why do they charge $30 to change fucking strings? I took my acoustic to them because last time I changed them myself, it didn't sound like I did it right. Like the sound of the string didn't sound anything like what it was supposed to sound.

Anyway, I took it over there to get it changed, and saw it was $30 total. What the fuck?

Also it seems like the empolyees there just walk around and don't help anyone.

Why is every single employee at your store a fucking retard?

Why are Guitar Center employees such condescending, elitist douchenozzles?
Also, how do you deal with high school kids clumsily playing Megadeth riffs at full volume?