/comp/ - Composition General

Not knowing when to give up edition.

Pasta:

An experiment in a pen-and-paper composing general, made for all the theory autists

This differs from /prod/ in that it is more focused on art music and music theory. That is not to say /prod/'s electronic music is unwelcome, by all means, post here! But follow in the footsteps of the classical composers of the 20th century who experimented in electronic music. But remember, this is NOT /classical/. Any art music, such as jazz, is acceptable

Post clyps, and please post accompanying notation so we can accurately critique your composing from a theory perspective

>Theory
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
>tl;dr version
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic#

>Basic composing
youtube.com/watch?v=hWbH1bhQZSw

composer.rowy.net/

>Fux's Counterpoint
opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf

>Free Notation Software
musescore.org/

>Score Preparation Guide
musiciandevelopment.com/2016/05/16/how-to-prepare-a-professional-score/

>Orchestral Preparation Guideline
mola-inc.org/article/Music-Preparation-Guidelines-for-Orchestral-Music.pdf

>Takadimi: A Beat - Oriented System of Rhythm Pedagogy
takadimi.net/documents/TakadimiArticle.pdf

>Teoria - Music Theory General Guides/Articles
teoria.com/index.php

>Musictheory.net - General music theory with accompanying exercises and tests. Great for practice.
musictheory.net/

>Succint but insightful theory up to contemporary techniques such as serialism and set theory
learnmusictheory.net/

And feel free to expand!

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/krisena/lullaby-for-sofie-theme-and-variations
youtube.com/watch?v=0FGv1Z9XBqw
soundcloud.com/kludgybrain/nerves
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what programs do people use for production these days

still FLstudio?

Previous challenge:
>Challenge: write a dramatic piece that uses every scale degree except for the tonic. You may only use the tonic at the very end of the piece.
>It can be as long as you like, and as simplistic as you like, as long as the tonic is only reserved for the very end. If you want to be creative, you can also modulate, but you still may not use the tonic of that key. Go.

If no one else submits one, I'll post a new challenge soon.

What if we did something collaborative? One person post a theme, then people post variations on it?

We're probably too underpopulated for it now, though.

Personally I just stick with Audacity, if it ever even gets to recording.

I wrote some variations on a melody of mine. You can listen to it if you want.

soundcloud.com/krisena/lullaby-for-sofie-theme-and-variations

I enjoyed it a lot. A theme with a nice, quaint harmony, and a non-standard melody that lends itself to really interesting variations. I thought it was just nice at first, but while relistening to it, with the theme more clearly in my head, I was actually quite moved at some points.

The ending to the 3rd variation felt kind of out of place somehow. The repetition of that one motif in a higher voice is a good idea, but the way it sounded was oddly strident, to me at least.

>the related track autoplayed right after it sounds completely different
Every time.

Your thoughts on the 3rd variation is really valuable. It's something I was thinking of myself "is this too out of character?" but in the end I decided for it. When you point it out though, it kind of "wakes up" my ears and I listen to it in a different light.

Thank you so much for listening and for your feedback. I'm glad you liked it.

bump of support

Half cadences are my shit

i use cubase 8 pro and it has a notation editor also

Every time I try to think of a melody, I soon realize it has the exact same rhythm as something I've heard before.

This time it was Grandfather from Peter and the Wolf.

image unintentional

>rhythm
>limitless combinations
...lad

That's of no matter. Melodies with the same kind of rhythm can be wildly different.

Try writing the accompaniment first, so your rhythm-writing becomes more in the moment and less "looking back into your memory". And also, it's more likely to be more original since your brain will automatically write the melody so it converses well with the accompaniment.

Not just rhythm but suspiciously similar melodic contours and such, leaps in the same places, skips in the same places in the same direction, etc.

>Try writing the accompaniment
>your brain will automatically write the melody so it converses well with the accompaniment
Ah, I've always viewed that as a negative when I tried it, the melody being either subservient to or unrelated to the accompaniment. I think I'll give this style of writing another try, though. Thanks.

bumping with a clarification.
Whenever I try to write the accompaniment first, it always seems as though it needs to be played once on its own, and then have the melody come in when it repeats, after which the accompaniment will move on to some other tonal area and play a new accompaniment and the melody will appear in a few measures.

Like this at the beginning, for example: youtube.com/watch?v=0FGv1Z9XBqw

I quite like the Kyrie, but I don't want to be replicating its form exactly like that. But this is always what it seems to become when I try writing something accompaniment-first.

bump

I like it. What did you use to record?

guys help me please

Noteflight is the absolute best way to start off

mupb

soundcloud.com/kludgybrain/nerves

All you certified composers whadaya think of my song? I try to make my non conventional chord progressions accessible ( the verse not the chorus)

I dunno about certified, but I do like the chord progression.

Ump.b