ITT: Artists that are on the borderline of being mainstream and unknown to mass public

ITT: Artists that are on the borderline of being mainstream and unknown to mass public.

Death Grips is not mainstream

They really aren't anywhere near mainstream but they aren't underground either. They are internet popular

>on the borderline
You fucking retard. Learn to read idiot.

nice trips, but is this a joke? I can't picture anyone outside of art school ever listening to death grips they will never mainstream.

you're the retard here desu

no

>t.secret club

no normies even know of them and I wouldn't say they will be played on a radio ever

Yeah, cuz Sup Forums is filled with art school kids.

I've seen at least four non-Sup Forums browsing friends post about them on facebook.

Get got played on the radio?

Mac Demarco and Yung Lean

Everyone on the internet knows them including tumblr normies but ask joe schmo on the street about them and they'd say ''who''

Who? and who?

Who?

>popular on the internet
>guess what's also popular these days?
>the internet

>anyone who has used the internet has seen everything on the internet

>Yung Lean
lol

all my normie friends like death grips, they aren't obscure

Tory Lanez

Deafheaven is playing Eaux Claire pretty soon and I saw this album cover in some Walmart ad for a music player.

Mac motherfucking DeMarco

Not sure how I would feel about it if he became more known to the public, but I think it'd make him concentrate on writing and recording even better shit

not yet

Mac I can get, I heard him playing in a restaurant in the hipster neighborhood where I live.

As for Young Lean. Literally who?

Realistically, Tame Impala isn't totally mainstream yet.

Mastodon

>Yung Lean
swedish meme rapper, has millions of views on all his songs and sells out concerts around the world

>sells out concerts around the world
Really? I don't believe that.

Pretty sure Mastodon are in the mainstream. I mean they were nominated for a Grammy and Brann even filled on drums for one of those late night shows

He might be mainstream, but his music isnt

Chek out his fanpages on fb. There was one recntly in Montreal and I couldn't get tickets.

Nujabes
MBV
Mac DeMarco
Kurt Vile

>Every Kanye fan ever

he had two big tours in the us and many shows sold out. he's even bigger in europe/brazil and he's done shows in australia and japan

Grimes
Galaxie 500
Echo and the Bunnymen
FKA Twigs
Autchre
NMH

>Echo and the Bunnymen
>not mainstream since the 80's

I think Tyler, The Creator is a good example of this.

You ask any Joe Schmo or Molly Crolly on the street who they are they wouldn't have a clue.

Good point

Literally everyone at my school knows them. I always see people wearing his garbage and I see odd future merch everywhere. He's mainstream as fuck.

oh. maybe its a location thing, lol. when people ask me what im listening to in my earbuds I tell them his name and they say "who the fuck?" so, idk lol.

I can verify all of these. Some of the people I go to university with who are faintly acquainted with the internet are all familiar with these ones.

James Ferraro is rising in the indie circles.

What's baffling is how terrible the music is. He's like an instagram filter. Makes a turf look ansel Adams n shit.

Turd
Lol autocricket

They're no way near mainstream. Even my music friends haven't heard of them.

I showed a friend once and he basically got scared as fuck and told me he hated it and to turn it off immediately.

Lol fuck no. I've met one guy who's heard of him and he was a stoner burnout NEET. Pretty sure he was a Sup Forumstant.

Your friends are faggots.
Dude. I'm a better friend.

They're getting there.

>I showed a friend once and he basically got scared as fuck and told me he hated it and to turn it off immediately.
How is this friend around the average black person?

Dunno. He was schizophrenic though.

what how

it bothers me that someone bothered waterstamping this photo and it's pretty shit

i have a friend that knows death grips but that's probably because he goes on pitchfork

Alright, that sounds about right.

I'M IN YOO AREAA

I showed a friend "Spikes" the other night which is fairly accessible for Death Grips and he seemed to love it. He was bumping to it hard.

>Andy's face

What do you expect
They will never be as mainstream as say Justin Bieber

Justin isn't even that populor tho.

what do you mean not popular like every single teen chick listens to Justin Beiber. Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they are unpopular

Who?

Danny Brown, RTJ, Flatbush Zombies

Would spikes be a great song to introduce somebody to death grips?

Mac is college popular, which sometimes breaks into mainstream popularity.

The random guy in a small town will almost never know him, but a random guy in NYC or LA has a good chance of knowing him, and a kid on a college campus has an even better chance.

Yung Lean is basically in a similar state as Lil B, only much less popular. People will know him, but as a joke, not really as an actual artist people listen to.

Ah, I see. I assumed he was popular everywhere.

Are The Growlers popular outside of SoCal?

Here in Portland they have a bit of a following but we always hop on trendy Cali bands. They were bigger a couple years ago I think.

I'm pretty sure you're just retarded and dont understand what he means

Coil
Can
Xiu Xiu
mbv

Well. I just proved him wrong.
No Down syndrome allowed here.

who? (massachusetts here)

Me too :^))

how much time do you have to spend on Sup Forums to even entertain the thought for one second that death grips is mainstream

Read the thread again.

Suffy

Except you can walk into literally any music store and buy their music. I also knew kids back in high school circa TMS era that were listening to them.

I know just as many chicks who say they hate Justin Bieber as I do chicks who I know listen to him.

I live near a huge Rasputins and their section usually has one cd tops. I go every weekend with a friend too, so it's not like I went on an off day or something.

Mac Demarco arguably fits

this is true, i forgot how close they've come to the general mainstream

worst post itt

Animal Collective

I live in bumfuck NH and there is definitely more than one CD/Vinyl in most of the music shops I go to. The only shops that don't have them are these local stores that don't sell that sell mostly used records.

That's weird, I'm from the Bay Area. You'd think there'd be more of them in this shop, it's the biggest one on this side of the Bay too.

most contemporary artists who're Sup Forumscore

Thats why he has crazy album sales, right?

Grimes is now a sell out.

Autechre? lol

Aesop Rock

He even has it shown in multiple videos as a wallpaper on his desktop

desu, it's sort of true

Not if you're Grimes.

If they hate him, then they know of him. Mainstream doesn't necessarily well loved, just well known.

>implying i dont listen to the radio just to hear Hot Head

Just about anyone nearing their death i'd say.

That guy is pretty cool, I think he just panders his videos to children.

They're not even close to mainstream. I go to a private music college, and pretty much none of the students or teachers know who Ghost (BC) are.

>everyone saying Death Grips aren't borderline
I see relatively normalfag people post about them on fb. I can bring them up to my friends who really listen to music (any genre) and they'll know who I mean, though they might not like them. They're definitely getting there. Wait til some normies catch on to bangers like Get Got or w/e and they become the next Odd Future

I don't necessarily believe that'll happen but I'm not ruling it out, I could definitely see it