Does your country have Nomikai? It's a drinking party which is basically mandatory to join for wagies in Japan...

Does your country have Nomikai? It's a drinking party which is basically mandatory to join for wagies in Japan. At my workplace I have to join one every Friday or otherwise my bosses and coworkers talk stuff behind my back and eventually I'll be forced to quit my job. I don't really like drinking and talking with coworkers outside the workplace so it's very tiresome.

i've worked in Korea with Korean co workers. You know the rest of the story.

So it's an Asian thing? Don't westerners have to endure this torturous party and be a bitch for their bosses?

Have you ever considered that NONE of you want to go but thought that everyone else do?

politics exist in western society as well
but they don't have this drinking party after work.
im talking about north america btw.

Apparently many of young people in Japan don't like it but end up joining them since our bosses want to do it.

>but they don't have this drinking party after work.
That sounds nice. I just don't really understand why I have to talk with my coworkers and bosses after work unless we are close.

Just shitty events though.

no, it's sounds fucking weird

No, because we aren't faggots and actually have friends. We also tell your coworkers and boss to fuck theirselves if they bully us.

Not really
Co-workers often times go out with each other to drink, but it's not a compulsory thing. It's just co-workers getting drunk together.
Being the quiet shut-in at work is a totally normal thing here.

Let me tell you how it would go down here.
>Employer asks his employee to go out for this "Nomikai"
>Employee says no thanks, because he would rather go home and watch Netflix
>Employer bullies Employee by making his time at work hell.
>He either endures it or quits.
>If he endures it his boss fires him (We all know that's where it goes). Employee is now open to sue the company for unlawful termination, and he can collect some nice unemployment benefits for about as long as it will take to find a new job usually.
>If he quits he collects the same unemployment benefits, and is open to sue the company if he feels he was wrongfully singled out. His boss is also liable to be turned into higher management for being a dick.

Now that I think about it, much of US business culture revolves around "How can we avoid the possibility of being sued?"

Nah id rather drink with mates

We do however have cringy integration trips, but they can be fun if it's paintball or the like. They do sometimes involve drinking

Nah.

What we do have though is 1-3 MASSIVE parties each year, where we go get incredibly wasted on the company's expense.

it's callde corporative here and much rarer

No. We sometimes have parties with colleagues, even bosses, but there's no compulsion.

Not really, but as a drunkard, I'd like that.

Yep. like having second or third birthday party.

> I just don't really understand why I have to talk with my coworkers and bosses after work unless we are close.
Bosses probably think it is good for teamwork or something like that.

The idea behind it is that it shows that you care about the company, and the people working in it. It's a form of showmanship, but at the same time it's sort of stupid that it's manditory. For something like an office job as long as they do their job well it shouldn't matter if they want to talk to their co-workers.
I would also imagine that bringing people along who don't want to be there would bring the mood down.

What if you don't drink alcohol?
Do they fire you?

I never drink alcohol but I wouldn't get fired, because my office is full of nerds and they notice it is a kind of harassment to impose alcohol on others.

But I can still imagine a retarded Japanese company that bullies or hinders those who don't drink, in their businesses.

This is retarded and abusive
We dont have this in spain or south america

Yeah, these are pretty common here as well.

That might be a birthday party for you, but some of us dont like drinking

That's the problem of korea, too. Just find some excuses like illness or parent's birthday.

It's probably not hard to make an excuse for not drinking, just say you've got some serious health condition that makes it bad for you to drink alcohol. Or you could pretend that you had a bad experience with alcohol addiction a long time ago and don't want to risk it again. Your colleagues shouldn't press the issue if they aren't a bunch of assholes.

Asian companies are known worldwide for being awful for salarymen. Outside of Asia boss cannot make you do anything other than the things included in your contract. They can ask and they can be displeased if you refuse but if they're bullying you for refusing you just report it as mobbing and they get in trouble (and you can even get some extra cash as an apology).

BTW that's one of the reasons I try to convince my gf not to move to Japan. If she does I'll go with her after I finish my CS degree and I'll probably find an IT job that doesn't require speaking Japanese but man, I can't even imagine doing stuff I'm not paid for like unpaid overtime or compulsory parties. It's like having your time literally stolen.

>compulsory
I mean it's not technically compulsory but it's just that they will hate you for not being a good old Japanese salary man like every other Japanese guy which leads you to want to quit your job. But yeah it exactly feels like my time is being stolen for no good reason. Worst part is that those coworkers and bosses are probably being nice to me by acting like we are close drinking buddies and they probably think I'm the asshole for refusing taking such kindness from them. You're doing a good work by keeping your gf from living in this country. I wish I was born in a western country where people respect my time more.

In Russia we have CORPORATIVES.
Not every Friday, usually on New Year and maybe some gender holidays like 8 of March (aka women's day) and 23 of February - Russian Army Day (aka men's day).

The shittier the company is the more it is socially obligatory.