Why is Mexico so dirt poor?

Why is Mexico so dirt poor?
in the Old World generally rich countries border rich countries and the change to poor countries is more gradual
however in America you have the richest big country next door to a third world shithole
California and Texas are even among the richer parts of the US

how did this happen, why is the country such a hole?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's about as big a difference as morroco and spain

Why do you care?

at least there's a sea in between but that's a fair point

just curious
obviously the timing is not a coincidence withe the american election

America is fuckhuge and so is Mexico. GDP per capita doesn't speak much to the border regions when most of the GDP and population lives away from the border.

but how is mexico so poor?
i always thought it was south america tier but tuns out it's actually even poorer than that

They're actually richer than Turkey.

lol dunno, our Constitution is like 100 years old, and we've only been economically stable for the last 20 years. Mexico is a roller coaster of ups and down, we are currently going up, but you know... trump and... well... yeah :=)

east turkey is a middle eastern shithole
though
most people think of constantinople and west asia minor when thinking of turkey but that's not the majority of the country

Elites in Mexico created weak institutions and shitty infrastructure that was mostly meant to extract wealth and not be used to invest in the welfare of its citizens.

yeah, they are poor too, have you even been there?

They are not. It's GDP (PPP) we're speaking about here.

Yes, you forgot to add it was an infrastructure set up to enrich themselves and keep their families in positions of power.

The elites of mexico could very well set up a new system where climbing up the ladder is easier for Mexicans and increase the average salary by a good portion I think, but niggas just know greed.

only istanbul a long time ago
i mean it's poor but not that poor

THE RIDE.

IT NEVER ENDS.

When the masses are poor and uneducated, it's easier to control them, that's the key to the PRI party's success.

Well, we are 119,530,753 people living here..
Take a 15% of indigenous people who doesn't contribute much to the GDP and the people from ages 0 -15 plus 65 and over who are not able to work which represents around 35% of the entire population. So although the nominal GDP is 15th globally we get screw by the number of people, more importanly i don't know where you got map but is ot very trustworthy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

yes they are

This, plus lots of corruption happening among the political class.
Also, we may have low unemployment rates, however, wages here are insanely low. There's a huge HUGE gap between the low/middle class and the upper class. No wonder why many people, mainly those not making enough money for a living, resort to crime.

see, imagine how poor the rest of the country is, apart from couple spots in Istanbul the rest of Istanbul is like Islamabad with slums.

— World[7] 10,136
62 Malaysia 9,501
63 Mexico 9,452
64 Russia 9,243
65 Suriname 9,231
66 Grenada 9,222
67 Turkey 9,186

>GDP (PPP)
>linking the nominal GDP
Learn the difference. If you want to compare how big is the entire GDP of the country then nominal is alright, if you want to compare who's richer, than you need GDP at at purchasing power parity.

the eternal fuck up, though I got to admit these last decade of growth was fun

Ireland is just as rich as the U.S. and Canada?

that's bullshit though and you know it

Why is Argentina so poor? According to Sup Forums memes they are eastern europe tier and the other latinos are africa tier.

still above the world average tho

>PPP is bullshit
It's pretty stupid to think that prices are the same everywhere and everyone uses dollars every day.
Again, nominal GDP is ok to compare different economies, if want to know how rich people are nominal gdp means shit, because prices are very different in different countries. It's pretty naive to measure "richness" by the nominal figure counted in US$ by the current exchange rate.

breh, I'm sorry, maybe because of my job, but I compare everything to the old mighty $

It's all racial. Most of the mexican elite have high European admixture and have been staying rich for centuries.

GDP PPP is in US$ as well.

ok you win Turkey is richer than Mexico but poorer than Romania

Better scaling here

Their geography wasn't very favorable for industrialization in the early stages + they were never very capital rich to begin with. The Drug War and the various other things that the US pulls don't help

The disparity is largely down to geography. While the US has the largest system of commercially navigable waterways in the world right on top of the largest continuous section of arable land in the world, Mexico had highlands and shitty rivers. We were innately capital rich by virtue of our geography, they weren't

They aren't as poor as you think though

see, imagine now how we, Israel and Cyprus feel.
you got to help us with those walls

oh wait, wrong thread

>Greece has unpayable debts
>still richer than former commie shitholes

How is the ruble right now? It was steady at $1 to 65 when I was there in August.

Trump will Make Mexico Great once we renegotiate NAFTA

Prepare to be uplifted

that's because they are actually willing to loan us, who's gonna loan a commie shithole?

>who's gonna loan a commie shithole?
Boomers who have ran out of other options

Balancing between 61 and 64.

>and the other latinos are africa tier.
That's more a comparison between the nicer Argentinian cities and the favelas in Brazil, not their wealth

>uruguay yellow

wtf, I hate uruguay now

Did it drop after they announced Trump?

>has unpayable debts
>richer
Don't you think it's the reason they are richer? :DD

>It's all racial. Most of the mexican elite have high European admixture and have been staying rich for centuries.
lol sure

>thwarted by superior commie education
wtf I hate public schooling now

Didn't change much. It's the same rate for today as 2 days ago.

Is it cheaper for Argies to visit Montevideo to vice-verse?

Not at all.

Nice

Our constitution is only 100 years old and we've had no recession for 25 year. git gud mexico

>Anglo genes and government
That's cheating

>our constitution is only 23 years old and we're currently in our third recession since then

MICEX/RTS index is growing tbqh

I just wake up go out of my apartment, have a nice life, commute in public transport, walk the streets, buy stuff. And I think everything is doing well, that at least we're getting better everyday.
I go online just to hear people give us shit about every single problem they have, 1 country with 4 citizens telling I'm living a shitty life and world news predicting that it's all going down.
fa m I need to stop coming to this place for a little while.

It's full of mexicans

uruguay is expensive

>our Constitution is like 100 years old
That's the problem, our constitution is a shitty copy of the american one, and a lot of the laws are just outdated by today standards. We need a new constitution, not a patched one.