Why isn't there more depression rap being made? Anyone have any recs...

Why isn't there more depression rap being made? Anyone have any recs? Pic related is my favorite rap release this decade probably.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z9-eKhCukW8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pink Square AOTY

Try Lil Ugly Mane.
specifically Weeping Worm, Uneven Compromise and Oblivion Access.
The lyrics are pretty dark/depressing and the production on these projects are euphoric to say the least.
Also try Atmosphere, Lil B, Edgar the beatmaker, there's quite a bit of depressing rap out there man.

assuming it's solace. Was just listenin to. I like Earl. But he's insufferable. And Gambino makes pretty depressing stuff.

Have you listened to Blackbear?

I already like Lil Ugly Mane, but his music is a little too misanthropic for what I'm specifically looking for. Atmosphere and Lil B are way too upbeat/satiric generally. Notice I said depression rap not depressing rap. Solace just oozes the utter emptiness and darkness that is depression. Earl's delivery, his lyrics, the disjointed and sound collage-y feeling of the beats just makes it feel very lo-fi and low effort, you can tell that Earl is genuine because he's been through this shit.

Gambino is very hard to take seriously

Just listened to a song, not at all what I'm looking for, sorry.

Listen to Milo. My favorite albums by him:
Things that happen at day/things that happen at night
-
So the flies don't come

Why should all music genres be about being depressed?

you dont need to take music "seriously" senpai

>Gambino is very hard to take seriously
why?

Are you retarded?

I like So the Flies Don't Come already and it's pretty close to what I'm looking for

If I want to listen to music about depression because I can relate to it being able to take it seriously is a requirement.

His voice, his glossy production, his background in comedy, his absolutely trash punchlines. I like some of the songs off BTI though.

I've also been looking for something similar to IDLS, but unfortunately there's not many things similar. Only album I think is remotely similar in feeling is The Infamous by Mobb Deep. Gives me the same feeling of despair but with more gangsta-rap themes.

>Are you retarded?

Are you? rap is mostly written for a specific demographic that doesn't have the time or luxury to wallow in self pity. Just because you appropriated it doesn't mean it has to cater to the emo I'm so depressed lifestyle.

yeah ichiko aoba is pretty good hehe

And perhaps it is because rap about depression is hard to find that OP made this thread?

Did I call for the eradication of all other rap? I was just looking for recs on depressing rap. Hiphop is one of my favorite genres and I listen to pretty much all kinds of it.

What album is this? Reverse image search isn't exactly helping

this album is pretty depressing. This song always manages to get me.
youtube.com/watch?v=z9-eKhCukW8

perhaps but the insult was uncalled for at any rate.

Because hip hop is a genre based around posturing, repetition, and aggression

Even when an artist is whining like Donald Glover, he's still trying to effect an image, be it smart, or cool, or relevant. So much of it is about your superficial self-presentation and celebrity. I'm the "smart and sad celebrity now" is what half of the sad-rappers are trying to do. They aren't trying to say something smart and sad, or if they are, they're failing

I also don't see well-told and depressing stories in hip hop. The genre's historically associated with storytelling and the travails of poverty, but most of these attempts are incoherent failures that the artist can barely manage to force out of his mouth before slipping into some other reflection that better suits that pseudo-improvisational manner of hip hop. I don't see stories in hip hop, I see poorly portrayed reflections about that one time on that one street and lots and lots of navel-gazing. No imagination. The lyrics are incredibly simple and lazy and don't compare to the Cambridge-educated Romantic melancholy of Nick Drake, or the icy bitterness of Bert Jansch.

Hip hop musicians should stick to obnoxious trap rap and Diplomats-style ostentation, because Earl Sweatshirt and Milo are fucking boring and untalented writers

same problem here

earl sweatshirt - solace

damn... better stop listening to the music i like

>Reverse image search
>sky
what album is this?

here

Music, ultimately, is about expressing yourself. Creating music that is depressing expresses how depressed the writer(s) are/is.

see

You said "why should all music genres be about being depressed?" A rather irrelevant question as that was never implied. So it appears "retarded" might not be too far off in terms of your reading comprehension, unfortunately.

I don't care about whether you sniff glue and listen to Odd Future, I'm just explaining why it's bad music

You familiar with open mic eagle, OP?

I asked a similar question like eight months ago but I called it "contemplative rap for listening to in the dark" and Sup Forums delivered.

Because rappers have less reasons to be depressed

>Pic related is my favorite rap release this decade probably.
i'm totally with you. I've listened to this thing probably 50 times.

One guy already suggested milo and that's close in a lot of ways. unfortunately The majority of hip hop in this vein is corny and pretty bad.
Oddly enough after listening to solace I actually got into singer songwriter like nick drake and tim buckley, not rap but definitely depression core.

because its shit and no one with a decent brain takes it seriously

its

faggy

"Solace just oozes the utter emptiness and darkness that is depression." lol go fuck yourself